• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 7 details from BiohazardFrance.net

GrayChild

Gold Member
Link to the original post with a few new screenshots

Translation credit goes to AllPurposeSoraka:

The demo that some journalists been playing recently takes place in chapter 3 of the game;
You can find a newspaper article about the dissappearence of people in the Dulvey area, and it was written by Alyssa Ashcroft from Outbreak;
Another file is a document signed by Clive O'Brian from Revelations;
Other files mentions strange incidents in a local church and a local hospital, as well as a boat that sunk in a river nearby;
There are checkpoints, but it's unknown if they are tied to the difficulty;
The Upgrade Cages are located in a trailer outside the house.
You find a backpack that increase your inventory size by 4 (to a total of 16 slots);
You need to solve a puzzle to acquire the shotgun;
You can also use the Chemical Fluid to repair items and photos (maps?) of hidden treasure;
The lockpicks can be used to open lockers and drawers for extra ammo and health items.

-The telephone rings each time you complete an objective to get out of the house(unlocking doors for instance). The woman on the phone's identity is already known at this point in the game. If she's a returning character or if Ethan knows her is unkown.

- After you use a key, there will be no prompt to discard it. It's unknown if said keys will be used later in the game.

-Though the game has a 'progression flow' that's been confirmed, IE you walk to new locations and transition like in the older RE games, there is something of a chapter system, probably to help divide progress. The section of the game they played was a bit from Chapter 3. Apparently this is the segment most journalist played recently, as Chapter 3 starts off with the Baker Dinner Table scene.

-The trailer vehicle is apparently the 'shop' in the game, you can collect Old Coins from around the game, and use them to purchase permanent upgrades (either to skills like accuracy or health increase, etc.), or even new weapons (like a magnum is available in the section of the game they played). Trailer is also said to follow you through the game to different locations as the shop.

-Apparently there are insect enemies in the second location, smaller than typical RE fair but they do come at you, sometimes alone and sometimes in swarms. These include Bees, Spiders, & Centipedes.

-You can sharpen some weapons to give them increased piercing powers.

-There's different types of grenades you can craft from chemicals, including a sort of poison cloud grenade and a incendiary grenade.

-You can develop photos that show the locations of hidden treasures around the place.

-You have a map in the game that your character updates details about as you progress ala Silent Hill.

-You can find broken weapons that can be repaired.

Interesting to see some stuff in here from outbreak and Revelations. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story ties into the main games.

You need to solve a puzzle to acquire the shotgun;

tumblr_inline_nleqb9qwBe1r2vfq1.jpg

RE AS FUCK
SOLD

UrbanRats

I only hope that puzzles are real puzzles, and not the PT/beginning demo level of bullshit of "try every little absurd thing for months until something works"

Javin98

Banned
Local church? Local hospital? Fuck yes! The atmosphere in the basement after the molded door in the demo was already terrifying, can't wait to see more locations in the game.

ethomaz

Banned
The demo doesn't feel so different from Amnesia. I see why people say that.
Nah people just read first person view and assumed that.

There are enough detail since release that shows it is a Residdnt Evil game and nothing like Ammesia.

Nemesis_

Meh? The first Revelations was great.

Revelations is so average and I don't understand why people like it so much. It felt like an even dumber evolution of the action style Resident Evil 4 / 5 established previously. I will also never understand the love for it's absolutely woeful supporting cast but that's just me. The whole concept of Terragrigia was aggressively dumb and the even more trite connections to literature was just so grating.

Given the director of this game I'd expect more (disappointing) connections to Revelations than any of the other games but even mentioning something from Outbreak gives me hope.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Nah people just read first person view and assumed that.

Exactly.

There were no weapons in the first demo, but CAPCOM confirmed several times that it was supposed to be a 'mood piece' rather than something that should be taken as 100% representation on how the game will play. A proof that this time they are really going back to the roots and making the series scary again, if you will.

Do we get Itemboxes, too?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tIC7vd_lPY

Intel_89

Revelations is so average and I don't understand why people like it so much. It felt like an even dumber evolution of the action style Resident Evil 4 / 5 established previously. I will also never understand the love for it's absolutely woeful supporting cast but that's just me.

Given the director of this game I'd expect more (disappointing) connections to Revelations than any of the other games but even mentioning something from Outbreak gives me hope.

It was a return to the right direction after 5 and 6 in the eyes of a lot of people. I agree that Revelations isn't as great as some people make it to be but I'm able to understand why people praise it.

I have Rev2 but haven't played it yet, what's the general opinion?

Nemesis_

It was a return to the right direction after 5 and 6 in the eyes of a lot of people. I agree that Revelations isn't as great as some people make it to be but I'm able to understand why people praise it.

I have Rev2 but haven't played it yet, what's the general opinion?

I don't really understand what that "right direction" was......arena style shoot outs against hordes of Hunters? Sounds like the progenitor to the even worse arena encounters in Resident Evil 6.

Revelations 2 is a slight step in the right direction, but the story itself is just so unhinged I find it hard to remember it fondly. The way it absolutely does nothing worthwhile with it's villain is disappointing too.

But I do enjoy Revelations 2 a lot more than Revelations 1. It has it's issues too, but it feels like a better paced, more refined, less ridiculous companion to Revelations.

Woah woah, Alyssa? Outbreak games are canon now?

Apparently the canonicity of the games is dependent on what country you played them in :/

depths20XX

So many people are trying so hard to hate on this game and I can only assume they are fans of the garbage RE5 and 6 games. Even those of us that were into the traditional RE games know we have remake 2 coming.

Sayad

So strange to me, Rev2 is up there with Veronica as my least favorite entries. Resident Evil sure is one divisive series. 7 is proving no different.

I really don't get people sometimes.
Really disliked it, what RE6 did to the shooting was so "not Resident Evil" but at least it felt good as an action shooting game, what Rev1 did was neither.

Korigama

Hm, seems I'll have to actually play Revelations 2 at some point to understand why people are so fond of it specifically after they disliked Revelations 1 so much (well, that seems to be more of a reaction I've observed here on GAF than anywhere else). I also enjoyed the first one, particularly after hating 5 and especially 6, even with it having had the opposite problem of 6 in having scaled back melee options too much.

Not really looking forward to playing Rev 2 outside of Barry returning, though (never really liked Claire, and already expecting to hate Barry's daughter).

depths20XX

It is, in fact, despite humor and/or sarcasm. Not a real RE.

It will be a really good game, nonetheless. For sure.

It actually is a real RE. In fact it's called Resident Evil 7. If you were expecting any kind of consistency from this series I'm not sure where you've been.

qanters

Hm, seems I'll have to actually play Revelations 2 at some point to understand why people are so fond of it specifically after they disliked Revelations 1 so much (well, that seems to be more of a reaction I've observed here on GAF than anywhere else). I also enjoyed the first one, particularly after hating 5 and especially 6, even with it having had the opposite problem of 6 in having scaled back melee options too much.

Not really looking forward to playing Rev 2 outside of Barry returning, though (never really liked Claire, and already expecting to hate Barry's daughter).

Revelations 2 is easily in my top 3 resi games. Barry is one of the best characters in the entire franchise. In r2 he gets the respect he deserves. Pure 100 percent badass.

RedSnake

It is, in fact, despite humor and/or sarcasm. Not a real RE.

It will be a really good game, nonetheless. For sure.

That's exactly how I feel about RE4.

I've seen WAY more "RE stuff" in the demo and short videos than anything in the videos or revies or RE4.

KyleCross

I bet a lot of the people saying "This is a Resident Evil game, deal with it" to the naysayers right now were the same people who 4 years ago were saying 6 wasn't a Resident Evil game. This fanbase really is divided.

Nemesis_

Curious how many said that before Resident Evil 4 was released

I will never forget the sentiment that was thrown around here with the GameInformer reveal of Resident Evil 4 happened.

The most common ones were that it wasn't even real, that it was photoshopped from the original Resident Evil 4 footage.

Other people calling it a Lord of the Rings rip off and what not.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I find this paragraph from the article interesting, excuse the Google Translate errors:

At least in terms of appearance sets and keys that you need to find to open the sealed doors, however well marked on the map. These keys (rather talk key emblems at this level) are this time the animal theme and can be used to open one or more doors. The system does not, however, proposing to permanently delete them once their usefulness made (unless they are used in other levels later in the adventure).

kc44135

I bet a lot of the people saying "This is a Resident Evil game, deal with it" to the naysayers right now were the same people who 4 years ago were saying 6 wasn't a Resident Evil game. This fanbase really is divided.

Yeah, it's probably one of the most divided fanbases there is, but to be fair, Capcom's got nobody to blame but themselves after taking the series in so many wildly different directions. They've shaken up the series so many times now that I don't think alot of people even really know what it is anymore, which makes me a bit sad, what with this being my favorite series and all. I'm not really sure how Capcom could go about fixing this problem either, aside from maybe just having a bunch of different sub-series to cater to everyone, but that might be a bit unrealistic.

Sayad

It's all Capcom's fault for continuing to make good games while changing the genre. ;p

Tensketch

Woah woah, Alyssa? Outbreak games are canon now?

The Resident Evil social network accounts keep bringing Outbreak up in various posts. Coupled with the rumours of a HD remaster that were being circulated late last year and Alyssa's mention in 7, I'd say they're gearing up to bring it back to modern consoles.

I'd welcome it, loved Outbreak.

Roussow

This all sounds great, and I enjoyed the new version of the demo well enough -- but something about the monster encounter in the basement got me a little concerned for the full game, it just felt really, really awkward -- and I guess you're supposed to get hit, not getting hit and exiting the house is the challenge here, but the movement and the (very brief, to be fair) bit of shooting didn't work for me at all -- it was working better when it was emulating P.T more directly. Heck, maybe it's better in VR?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this, Im worried how these new mechanics will translate to a classic RE design philosophy.

Top Bottom