• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Revolution game soon to be announced: Broken Sword 5?

Yixian

Banned
I suspect there are a few Broken Sword fans around here, being as, you know, the first two games are the two bestest games EVAR.

For those that don't know Broken Sword 1 & 2 were 2D point and click adventure games. Think of them as a sort of blend between the Da Vinci Code and Indiana Jones. The first game followed an American tourist in France as he was pulled into a shady modern day Templar plot and the second followed the same dude and his new journalist sidekick as they were embroiled in a plot to steal Mayan artifacts for some mystical purpose.

brokensword1_screenshot_640x480_01.jpg

brokensword2_1.gif

There were two 3D sequels in recent times but in many fans' opinions they lacked the inspiration of the originals and the move to bland 3D textures didn't capture the feel of the first games.

Anyway Revolution have been working on an as yet unannounced game, widely expected to be a new, high definition, 2D, illustrated Broken Sword.

From their forum in reference to this new project and why it wasn't at E3:

the scope of the project has grown, and we've slipped our dates a couple of times, so it keeps being pushed back

don't worry, I promise its worth the wait, im really proud of it

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_forum.php?neuron=1

Not much to go on, I know, but it shouldn't be long before a full announcement.

I couldn't ask for more than a new 2D Broken Sword :D

k79

Banned
Yixian said:
There were two 3D sequels in recent times but in many fans' opinions they lacked the inspiration of the originals and the move to bland 3D textures didn't capture the feel of the first games.

I thought The Sleeping Dragon was pretty awesome. The last one was meh.
Of the originals the first one I still consider to be the best of the series, while the 2nd one was underwhelming.

I'd love a new Broken Sword game :D

Yixian

Banned
Splatt said:
Am I in the minority when i say that Broken Sword 3 was my favorite Broken Sword game?

It wasn't a bad game imo but... just not a classic, and being 3D and everything, I don't really consider it a proper Broken Sword game. It just doesn't seem right not to be illustrated and 2D. Broken Sword is supposed to be like playing an episode of Tintin.

k79 said:
Of the originals the first one I still consider to be the best of the series, while the 2nd one was underwhelming.

Yeah, a lot of people preferred the first to the second. Maybe because I never had to wait for the second and just played 1 & 2 one after another I didn't notice the supposed drop in quality.

It's a classic series of that era anyway, and the original is probably one of the best point and clicks of all time. They could have pumped out 10 more just like it and I'd have gobbled them up no problem.

N.A

Banned
Splatt said:
Am I in the minority when i say that Broken Sword 3 was my favorite Broken Sword game?

I loved 3 as well but it's nowhere near the quality of the first 2.

Johnkers

God I loved the first two Broken Sword games, after that they didn't do much for me.

I'm fairly certain another 2D Broken Sword, even of the quality of the first two wouldn't hook me anymore though :(

Adventure games just don't do it for me anymore.

szaromir

Banned
Yes, I definitely want to see what they are working on. I never played their 3D games but I think I played all their 2D adventures (Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 2) except BS1. I consider BaSS their best effort, but all of them were great regardless.

I really loved the first two. The 3D games didn't feel right, not that they were bad as such, they just lost a lot of the spirit.

Haunted

Yixian said:
Psychotext said:
I really loved the first two. The 3D games didn't feel right, not that they were bad as such, they just lost a lot of the spirit.
agree 100%

And speaking of 2D Broken Sword, this fan project is coming along nicely, with a projected release date next month. I think they've also got a demo.

this is great news:D
im a huge Broken Sword fan , Finished and own all 4. George is one of my all time favourite characters.

And hopefully the movie won't suck and they get the comedy of the games right.

Yixian

Banned
szaromir said:
Yes, I definitely want to see what they are working on. I never played their 3D games but I think I played all their 2D adventures (Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 2) except BS1. I consider BaSS their best effort, but all of them were great regardless.

BaSS is CRYING out for an HD remake. The graphics and sound are just a liiiitle too dated for me to get into it 100%. I know that makes me a philistine but bleh.

You should play BS1 now though, the first two games have aged very well, they came at a time when 2D adventures were rich and detailed with great voice acting, but before the decline in quality.

I fucking adore BS1, I recall it in the same nostalgic way as I do watching Tintin and reading adventure novels as a kid. I am addicted to that stuff so hard. Just tap it directly into my veins!

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Yixian said:
BaSS is CRYING out for an HD remake. The graphics and sound are just a liiiitle too dated for me to get into it 100%. I know that makes me a philistine but bleh.

It's public domain, isn't it? I'm sure someone could pretty easily gut it and replace those assets, if so.

(Relatively easily, I mean. Compared to doing it from scratch.)

Yixian said:
One of the finest adventure games I've ever played. Worth every one of the floppy disk swaps. :lol

szaromir

Banned
Yixian said:

You should play BS1 now though, the first two games have aged very well, they came at a time when 2D adventures were rich and detailed with great voice acting, but before the decline in quality.

I fucking adore BS1, I recall it in the same nostalgic way as I do watching Tintin and reading adventure novels as a kid. I am addicted to that stuff so hard. Just tap it directly into my veins!
I played BaSS two years ago for the first time and had no trouble with its graphics. But I can see where you're coming from I have that sometimes with other games. Anyway, BaSS is ridiculously fun. I've never seen a main protagonist in any other game making such a huge sacrifice in order to progress.:lol

I bought Broken Sword 1 and 2 in 2001 but BS1 didn't run at all on my PC and ScummVM, even if existed, I had no idea about it. ScummVM runs flawlessly all my tested games, so I shouldn't have trouble with BS1 either, but it's waiting for it's turn. Now I'm playing through Monkey Island series.:D

Yixian

Banned
I think you need to download fixed cutscenes, but they're on the ScummVM site and once you've done that it's all straight sailing.

itxaka

Defeatist
I loved Broken sword 1 and 2. With the gabriel knight series is one of the best adventure games out of Lucasarts games.

itxaka

Defeatist
szaromir said:
Is this supposed to be a joke?

Why?

I was never too fond of Sierra adventure games, so it was lucasarts and BS1&2 and Gabriel Knight games for me. Also, they share a lot between them.

Haunted

itxaka said:
Why?

I was never too fond of Sierra adventure games, so it was lucasarts and BS1&2 and Gabriel Knight games for me. Also, they share a lot between them.
I don't know why it would be a joke either (as I wasn't the biggest Sierra fan), but Gabriel Knight never did too much for me.

Broken Sword 1 is still right up there with the greatest, imo.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Oh yes, I'm still a fan of the Broken Sword series, absolutely. LOVED the first game, second was great, not sure about the third game though. It definitely had moments where everything just clicked and you instantly got that Broken Sword vibe (lush environments, good voice acting, writing, music etc). But those moments were pretty sparse and the experience as a whole wasn't as tight as the previous games. And I really disliked how they tried to do something new seemingly just for the sake of it. I mean, pushing boxes around to solve puzzles? Incredibly dumbed-down platforming with overly complex controls? Weak stealth sections!? Really?

I have yet to try the 4th game, but I've been meaning to for quite some time. I'm definitely up for another game though, I haven't lost hope of a return to form. And these days, when it comes to adventure games of this type, beggars can't be choosers.

szaromir

Banned
itxaka said:
Why?

Sorry, for some reason my brain skipped the word "out" from your post and I didn't double check what you actually wrote. Sorry, my fault.

You're right, GK series is great, although I like a bit more adventure games than you do.

SRG01

itxaka said:
I loved Broken sword 1 and 2. With the gabriel knight series is one of the best adventure games out of Lucasarts games.

Too bad we'll never get another Gabriel Knight game. :( I think there was something with IP rights and/or producer issues.

Haunted

Yixian said:
Anyway Revolution have been working on an as yet unannounced game, widely expected to be a new, high definition, 2D, illustrated Broken Sword.
I'm the biggest Broken Sword fan, but there's absolutely nothing indicating this.

GhaleonQ

I think that "classic" is overstating it. The 1st was amazing, the 2nd and 3rd were good, and the 4th was mediocre. That being said, the more expansive adventure games, the better.

Doubledex

Banned
Yixian said:
I suspect there are a few Broken Sword fans around here, being as, you know, the first two games are the two bestest games EVAR.

For those that don't know Broken Sword 1 & 2 were 2D point and click adventure games. Think of them as a sort of blend between the Da Vinci Code and Indiana Jones. The first game followed an American tourist in France as he was pulled into a shady modern day Templar plot and the second followed the same dude and his new journalist sidekick as they were embroiled in a plot to steal Mayan artifacts for some mystical purpose.

From their forum in reference to this new project and why it wasn't at E3:

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_forum.php?neuron=1

Not much to go on, I know, but it shouldn't be long before a full announcement.

I couldn't ask for more than a new 2D Broken Sword :D
Broken Sword??? AWESOME! For me: Best Point& Click Adventure EVER! EEEEEEVER!!!

Nico is no-more? ;(

nny

The first Broken Sword is a great game; a new one in 2D (besides the fan-made 2.5) would be really good news, there's something about point 'n click adventures in 3D that doesn't feel right to me. Oh, and yes, BaSS is amazing.

Haunted

The last interview I've seen (there's a link to it in one of the threads in Revolution's forum) makes it pretty clear that there's a DS game coming that may or may not be a remake of Broken Sword 1 game (PC -> DS adventure game ports are all the rage recently), this seems like a lock.

He's also talking about smaller, digital downloadable games (even mentions Steam as a great platform) - and also talks a bit about the Wii.

Take that as you will.

Mr Mike said:
My bet - Wii BS5 and then DS remakes of the previous games. All announced at Leipzig.
BS5 PC/Wii (in 3D, but with a point n' click interface, like 4 had) and DS remakes of the first two.

That sounds about right.

Alpha_eX

There was a rumor going around before from someone who had been involved with BS3, they were saying it was a handheld game.

I would love a new Broken Sword but not a 3D one. A DS exclusive would be great but needs to have the George Stobbart voice and wit.

Top Bottom