• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RPG Maker (RPG Maker MV) revealed by Famitsu

CLjZO4QVEAAhe9z.jpg:orig

Information about the new feature added will be in this week's issue
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201508/04085014.html

For PC & Mac, Winter release in Japan

Features:
  • Sample Data Included
    Over 100 Sample Maps, Character Generator Parts and more! RTP is now integrated in the engine to save the users trouble.
  • Javascript to create complex games
    RPG Maker MV uses the well known JavaScript, in combination with HTML5 export.
  • Multiplatform Distribution & Mac Support
    You can now create your own RPG Maker games on Macintosh. It will be released at the same time as the Windows version. RPG Maker MV users will be able to build games for the following platforms:
    •Windows/EXE
    •MacOSX/APP
    •Android/APK
    •iOS/IPA
    •HTML 5 for Web Browsers
  • Mouse & Touch Input Support
    You can now play your RPG with your finger on touch devices, and mouse on computers.
  • Large Database
    Support for twice as many items as VX Ace for a grand total of 2,000!
  • Battle System Modes
    With a tick of a checkbox, you can switch from the classic Front View Battle to Side View.
  • Three Map Layers
    RPG Maker MV has an automated upper layer to make it easy to create and edit elaborate maps!
  • Higher Screen Resolution
    The previous RPG Maker's screen resolution was 544x416 pixels. RPG Maker MV's screen resolution is now 816x624 pixels. The size of all graphical assets (including animations) are now 1.5 times the previous versions of RPG Maker. For example, characters used to be 32x32, and now they are 48x48.
  • Introducing Plugin Manager
    By adding js files in the project's plugin folder, you will be able to select the plugin in the Plugin Manager. You can see script details, script parameters and the ability to set it ON and OFF.
  • Event Searcher
    One of the missed functions from RPG Maker 2003, The Event Search function is back! The bigger your game gets, the more Variables, Switches and Events you'll use. It quickly becomes harder to manage and find specific parameters.
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv

※iOS向けのパッケージングにはMacが必要です。
Only Mac build can make iOS game. Weird they didn't mention it on English site.
http://tkool.jp/mv/new_function//index.html

Official scans are allowed.

But OP, you should rehost the image because hotlinking directly from Famitsu causes problems.

oh yeah, totally forgot about that. switched to the twitter image from them

Yeah, I didn't notice that, sorry.

now can we move away from this and talk about RPG maker? I don't want to derail the thread.

they said this one would be easier for 'multi-device' support... I guess for making mobile games?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
No scans allowed

Edit: oh, never mind then

5QdBVLe.jpg

When its a tiny ass pic like that and has the famitsu watermark you know its from the OHP.

---

Pretty cool that it seems like you will be able to make stuff for mobile devices.

TheJoRu

From the (very small) scan on Famitsu's site it looks like, if that's supposed to be MV, it's using the same VX/Ace RTP, which is a bit disappointing. It's hard to get something looking more than 'ok' with it, so I've always used custom tilesets.

I haven't used one of these seriously in a long time, but I'm still intrigued about what each new instalment brings to the table, and what they inexplicably scrap.

TheJoRu

So far it looks the same, except that you can make games for ios too.

Just realized "MV" probably stands for "Mobile Version".

That's kinda cool, but I hope there's more new functionality whether you're making for PC/Mac or for mobile.

ZeroX03

Banned
Mobile ports eh? Are we finally getting better resolution control too? Because that's been holding it back for years. And lots of layers too.

Shredderi

RPG maker has a real soft spot in my heart. I started messing around with them when me and my best friend were 11 year old. Tens of small projects but not even one finished game but had loads of fun and it actually sparked my passion towards game making. Years of messing around with the software did teach me some basic things about making a game I think, but the most useful skill it left me with was 2D animating and spriting.

xzeldax3

I remember importing sprites from Golden Sun and making my own spin off game when I was younger. Maybe I'll check this out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'll always have a soft spot for RPGM, especially 2k.

I tried contributing to the GAF competition but just didn't find the time to sit down and work on a game. Maybe one day.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And for some reason, japanese doujin devs will keep using RPG Maker 2000 *sigh*.

Aww Fantastic!!! I can finally convert my educational project into an app using this. Wonder if they'll let me import the project I made in RPG Maker VX Ace into this.

I found RPG makerto be an extremely useful tool!

orioto

Good Art™
The others were all translated within 4-5 months I think! :)

VX & VX Ace only took around 3 months between Japanese & English version. I guess MV be that fast as well

Joy, i hope they fix some of the really old school things in the current one. And that it's more easy to be flexible with art (without having to rely on scripts etc.. to create big texture maps and things like that..)

PsionBolt

VX / Ace assets sticking around is a bummer. I was really hoping for a new style.

I'm mildly interested in the mobile support angle, but I have to wonder how it'll work -- will you be able to publish to the app store itself, or will you need to play MV games through a dedicated app, or what? For whatever reason a dedicated app seems more likely to me. Like the equivalent to installing the RTP on a computer, it'd help keep filesizes down.

And hey, the three-layered mapping will finally put to rest all the arguments over which version is best! The XP diehards out there won't have any excuse anymore.

Games run in high resolution.
Strangely enough the thing I wanted most of all is the opposite of "high resolution". VX made me double the size of all my assets in order to work at the scale I wanted, which is simply a pain in the arse. I like the look of 16-bit era games, but at the default resolution everything is simply too zoomed out.

Peltz

RPG maker has a real soft spot in my heart. I started messing around with them when me and my best friend were 11 year old. Tens of small projects but not even one finished game but had loads of fun and it actually sparked my passion towards game making. Years of messing around with the software did teach me some basic things about making a game I think, but the most useful skill it left me with was 2D animating and spriting.

Are we the same person? I feel the same way.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Konami must be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the dev costs they could save using this.

Hey, anything to get Suikoden out to the audience is a good thing. So long it's not done the Breath of Fire 6 way.

Top Bottom