• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

T.O.P

Banned
You have to remember nobody outside Microsoft has seen this version of the game. Any other people who have played it are referencing the demo we've been showing from E3, Gamescom and PAX. - pre GPU and CPU upgrade. Same goes for any of the Forza footage. That's what's on the betas people have, and that's what's on the tour.

When Phil showed me this trailer a few weeks ago, I was telling him this better be the real thing. I was told directly this was taken from XBO builds, with the exception of unlocking the camera for the battle scenes to make it more dramatic.

So this is the real thing.

awesome to hear, Nov 22nd can't come soon enough :D

Vire

Hahah you are insane. Missing objects, effects and shadows is less barren and boring? lol

I'm guessing this

3qEECqB.jpg

looks worse than the below too right?

Sl5j56N.jpg

No more shadows projected by the shields is a *design choice*, plus the screen tearing is an added effect am i right?

Why are you doing this? This comparison is pretty disingenuous compared to the rest of what was shown in the trailer.

Just respect the work that Crytek has done and move on.

ypo

Why are you doing this? This comparison is pretty disingenuous compared to the rest of what was shown in the trailer.

Just respect the work that Crytek has done and move on.

How is it disingenous? It's the only gameplay scene that was also shown at e3.

There's a huge gash in the second screen.

Vire

Where are you seeing screen tearing?

There is definitely some nasty screen tearing going on in the beach scene, but I'm willing to give it a pass since the game isn't finished and the rest of the game looks phenomenal technically.

FYtLBEi.png

How is it disingenous? It's the only gameplay scene that was also shown at e3.

There's a huge gash in the second screen.

Because you can nitpick basically any trailer to death and find faults, but overall the quality is very high throughout the video. Just seems silly to nitpick something that arguably looks better than anything else currently out there.

ypo

There is definitely some nasty screen tearing going on in the beach scene, but I'm willing to give it a pass since the game isn't finished and the rest of the game looks phenomenal technically.

FYtLBEi.png

Because you can nitpick basically any trailer to death and find faults, but overall the quality is very high throughout the video.

Obvious missing shadows and screen tearings are not nick picking. There's a lot of screen tearings in the more recent videos where as the E3 one had exactly zero.

madmackem

I never understand why people troll gfx, it looks good so if your a ps4 only fan take comfort in knowing a machine less powerful is pulling this shit off. Next gen is going to look fucking great on either machine. Day one for me, have we seen any females yet in this game?.

eso76

Hahah you are insane. Missing objects, effects and shadows is less barren and boring? lol

I'm guessing this

3qEECqB.jpg

Sl5j56N.jpg

No more shadows projected by the shields is a *design choice*, plus the screen tearing is an added effect am i right?

Objects have ebeen moved.
Light is not as harsh and not coming from directly above, so no, shields wouldn tb ecasting shadows, especially not pitch black ones like in the above sshot.
you're insane if you think the game looks worse than before, because it looks a good deal better in every possible way.

just look at how this gen is starting compared to last. You go from Uncharted 1 ---- Last of US. I cant even imagine the games towards the end of next gen

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

http://i.imgur.com/FYtLBEi.png[IMG]

Because you can nitpick basically any trailer to death and find faults, but overall the quality is very high throughout the video. Just seems silly to nitpick something that arguably looks better than anything else currently out there.[/QUOTE]

Oof, yeah, I see that now. I thought it was going to be about the water part which is actually the sword having a trail effect, but there's a bunch of rapid tears at the siege.

Pug

It's quite obvious the visuals in this game have hit some fan boys square in the bollocks. Still its rather amusing hearing their pain being conveyed through half cocked posts. Keep them laughs coming.

Pistolero

just look at how this gen is starting compared to last. You go from Uncharted 1 ---- Last of US. I cant even imagine the games towards the end of next gen

While I agree that games will get more and more refined as the generation progresses, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the pronounced quality gap that's been associated with the PS3 trajectory. Mainly because Sony's hardware was very challenging -to see the least-, and their dev tools quite nightmarish at the beginning of the gen...

ypo

Objects have ebeen moved.
Light is not as harsh and not coming from directly above, so no, shields wouldn tb ecasting shadows, especially not pitch black ones like in the above sshot.
you're insane if you think the game looks worse than before, because it looks a good deal better in every possible way.

Ok then so if you put a huge object over head it shouldn't case shadows. Awesome. Might as well get rid of all of the real time shadows.

It looks better in every possible way except missing shadows, effects, objects. There's additional screentearings though, that might be a plus depending how you look at it I guess.

Yea I'm sure the objects have been moved into storage.

I'm guessing this

3qEECqB.jpg

Sl5j56N.jpg

Alright, I'll play ball, since you made that highly flawed comparison.

I still have Ryse from its E3 showing at the MS press conf DVR'd I'm running that very scene now on my HDTV, and guess what? The scene when they covered themselves with the shields looks more or less identical to the new footage, with the new footage actually appearing to have the edge in the shadow department. It's nowhere nearly as dark as that machinima screen capture you took when they shield themselves. Who are you kidding with that screen grab? You can barely even make out Marius' face and armor details in that machinima screen grab, whereas part of the point of that scene is to clearly show off his face, and the fact that he's still displaying full performance capture as he commands his team while under the protection of the shields. And in the E3 footage, the details of Marius' armor is still on full display, and not at all so horribly obscured by what you claim are shadows, which makes it pretty much accurate to the new footage, not that over dark machinima shot, which I'm hoping you didn't darken yourself to make a point. What you're calling shadows aren't actually all shadows at all. It's simply the result of a darker screen grab.

Here's another important detail that you tried to leave out. In the new footage, they are no longer in the larger shaded area on the beach, they are much closer to overtaking that position, meaning they have already excited from the shaded area. If you rewatch the E3 footage of Ryse, you will see that from the very first moment they defend themselves with shields, they are actually all standing inside of a pretty huge shaded location of the beach, and beyond a certain point there is no more shade. In the new footage, Marius and his troops are already past that large shaded area. They are practically on the verge of overtaking it now.

And there is no missing effects at all. The smoke is much blacker and thicker in the new build, which obviously more easily obscures the yellow or reddish hue from the burning fire compared to the lighter, less thick and more gray plumes of smoke from the E3 build. The missing effect you're referring to is the yellowish red appearance of a fire burning. It's still very much there in the new build, but better masked by thicker, blacker smoke. Oh, and talking about newer builds and effects. If the footage shown by Cevat Yerli at that DICE presentation he gave is any indication, that beach scene is now accompanied by weather effects such as thunder, something that wasn't present in the E3 build. So, more and better effects in the newest build, not less.

Nice try though.

Obvious missing shadows and screen tearings are not nick picking. There's a lot of screen tearings in the more recent videos where as the E3 one had exactly zero.

E3 footage had massive frame drops, which appear mostly sorted in new footage. Tearing you're referring to in this new footage may not be tearing at all, but the sword slash effect. However, I did see slight tearing in the gamespot gameplay video they uploaded before this latest footage. However, the framerate was pretty damn solid, something it was far from being at E3, and I'd take tiny bits of tearing over horribly unstable framerate anyday, but of course the game isn't even done yet, so even that may be sorted.

OrangeOak

I never understand why people troll gfx, it looks good so if your a ps4 only fan take comfort in knowing a machine less powerful is pulling this shit off. Next gen is going to look fucking great on either machine. Day one for me, have we seen any females yet in this game?.

yes

rysem5p3k.png

ypo

Lay down the pipe. There's real time shadows in e3 the demo. Your nutjob conspiracy mind thinking I actually doctored the screenshot? lol. Try this one for a brighter footage. Real-time shadows in full effect. Way passed the shaded area.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/11/ryse-son-of-sparta-full-gameplay-demo-offscreen-e3-2013

No massive framerate drops there either. In fact doesn't even look like there's any framerate drop in the beach scene. Maybe you just have a shitty encoded video.

You write so much yet say nothing.

Oh look more real-time shadows from e3. Not in a shaded area either...well it's shaded by the shields in real time. I guess technically you can still argue it's in a shaded area.

QLN2L8t.png

slapnuts

From quickly pausing, I notice in that scene where Marius gets knocked on his ass by some Barbarian that two other barbarians appear to be holding someone hostage. It seems Marius is fighting for dear life to save someone's life who is trapped right in front of him, but that guy appears a little too much for him.

Lay down the pipe. There's real time shadows in e3 the demo. Your nutjob conspiracy mind thinking I actually doctored the screenshot? lol. Try this one for a brighter footage. Real-time shadows in full effect. Way passed the shaded area.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/11/ryse-son-of-sparta-full-gameplay-demo-offscreen-e3-2013

No massive framerate drop there either. Maybe you just have a shitty encoded video.

You write so much yet say nothing.

Not sure why I continue wasting time on you, but this will be my last post where I even bother, because you sir are on a mission, one largely based on comparisons you already know are flawed or manipulated, and I don't have the patience to keep going back and forth on that kind of crap when I see quite clearly what's being done.

First - There are big framerate drops in the E3 footage. Don't give me some nonsense about it being a shitty encoded video, because if that's your excuse, then you're suggesting the video used at Microsoft's E3 press conference is a horribly encoded video, because that's exactly what shows the huge framerate drops at specific parts, especially towards the second half of the video. This isn't some online video I'm watching over a stream, or some badly encoded video I downloaded. This is the HD spike tv footage of Microsoft showing Ryse to the audience at their press briefing that is still saved on my DVR, and that I'm watching right now on my tv. This is the official TV broadcast of the press briefing I'm watching, not that broadcast re-encoded and then put online. Digital Foundry also pointed out the big framerate drops in the E3 footage. The new footage I've seen doesn't display such serious framerate issues. It's much more stable, even if that latest gameplay footage, before this story trailer, showcased some slight tearing. The performance was clearly better than the E3 build, something I'd glad take over what I saw at E3.

There were times when the E3 footage was solid or even perfect, but others when it had bad and obvious drops that would be highly distracting when trying to play it. It may not fit with your intended goal to acknowledge the flaws of the earlier media for this game, because that makes it harder to crow about downgrades that haven't happened, but the game was by no means perfect at E3. The newest footage shown displays much improved framerate as well as better visuals overall. And far be it from me to question your motivations, but that crappy screengrab you posted was heavily darkened, much darker from how the actual game appears. Why is that? That's why I wonder whether you purposely took some crappy screengrab that isn't actually representative of shadows at all, but more so of a mixture of more subtle shadows with a greatly darkened image overall, or just plain bad footage. Watching the press briefing footage now there is nowhere close to such an extreme change in lighting or shadow coverage when they go under the shields as that image implies, which is why I call bogus on that screen grab, and unfortunately nothing you can say will convince me otherwise, because I can see it for myself. The shadows that do appear are much more subtle in the E3 footage when they go under the shields, and that same look is more closely reflected by the screen grab of the new footage, not that screen grab from the old version of the game. What you posted approaches very close to pitch black. I'm curious if you were the one that did that screen grab, or if you got it from elsewhere, but wherever you got it, it doesn't reflect the game at all.

The fact that the E3 footage doesn't so drastically obscure the face of the main character, or so much of the armor's details during shield shadow coverage is all the proof I need of the intended purpose behind that screen grab. They want to show off the performance capture during that moment. It's one of the things Crytek highlights, and yet that screengrab almost entirely obscures the main character's face? Did Crytek screw up? Or is the screen grab screwed up? I go with the screen grab. Now, carry on if you will, but I've said as much as I will say on this matter. Go search for more downgrades.

viveks86

You have to remember nobody outside Microsoft has seen this version of the game. Any other people who have played it are referencing the demo we've been showing from E3, Gamescom and PAX. - pre GPU and CPU upgrade. Same goes for any of the Forza footage. That's what's on the betas people have, and that's what's on the tour.

When Phil showed me this trailer a few weeks ago, I was telling him this better be the real thing. I was told directly this was taken from XBO builds, with the exception of unlocking the camera for the battle scenes to make it more dramatic.

Excellent video, Albert. I'm very impressed with what Crytek has shown for single player so far. There is a lot of potential for great storytelling. Hope it goes a lot deeper than their previous titles. Also, love the facial animation! Nero, especially.

Anaxymenes

Neo Member
Damn, looks really really good from atechnical standpoint but I don't trust Crytek to create any meaningful gameplay + the overthetop pseudo-historical art style is not really my taste (yeah I'm one of those ancient Rome geeks sorry).

slapnuts

Geesh! I just watched the video for a 2nd time but this time with the sound on because the first time i watched it i was listening to a podcast but HOLY CRAP!! This game is going to be bad ass!! I love the story going on here..i personally love the old Rome era back then with the Gladiators, their Politics,etc..the days of Christ i guess you can say ...but i love everything about this story and the sound is going to be phenomenal as well!!

Like i mentioned in a previous reply..i am only getting a PS4 to coincide with my gaming PC but i must admit guys..i am quite jealous i wont be able to play this game, I am glad the Xbox One guys have a great game at launch though..put's a smile on my face that regardless of which console are you getting on day 1..we all will have one great next gen game there on day 1.

As for the fanboys bashing the game purposely...just nevermind them dummies! They are too caught up in the stupid soap opera drama to realize the real passion in gaming..it's not about which system is better..it's about the games, the games, folks!

I am all set for my PS4 ...i just bought a new 55 Inch Panasonic Plasma and upgraded my surround sound home theater setup with two Infinity 12 inch powered subs..this game would go so lovely with my home theater setup...i might just have to grab an xbox one later down the road if this is a taste of what's to come with Xbox one.

c0de

Wait: Which GPU Upgrade?

Pug

Didn't you hear? 2 Radeon 290Xs were dropped in :p

How many flip flops is that? Seriously though, this is a launch title that was being developed on the 360 as a kinect game and moved to the Xbox one. It looks stunning (yeah the gameplay is a major question point), that can only be a positive with regards to Xbox one for future games.

ypo

wall of baloney

Awesome, so IGN doctored the video by removing all framerate drops and adding in real-time shadows. Or maybe you need to get your eyes checked. You complained about the first pic being too dark so I posted a brighter one along with a brighter video showing the same real time shadows in a non shaded area and yet you went on to whine about some idiotic conspiracy.

Anonumos

Banned
From quickly pausing, I notice in that scene where Marius gets knocked on his ass by some Barbarian that two other barbarians appear to be holding someone hostage. It seems Marius is fighting for dear life to save someone's life who is trapped right in front of him, but that guy appears a little too much for him.

Not sure why I continue wasting time on you, but this will be my last post where I even bother, because you sir are on a mission, one largely based on comparisons you already know are flawed or manipulated, and I don't have the patience to keep going back and forth on that kind of crap when I see quite clearly what's being done.

First - There are big framerate drops in the E3 footage. Don't give me some nonsense about it being a shitty encoded video, because if that's your excuse, then you're suggesting the video used at Microsoft's E3 press conference is a horribly encoded video, because that's exactly what shows the huge framerate drops at specific parts, especially towards the second half of the video. This isn't some online video I'm watching over a stream, or some badly encoded video I downloaded. This is the HD spike tv footage of Microsoft showing Ryse to the audience at their press briefing that is still saved on my DVR, and that I'm watching right now on my tv. This is the official TV broadcast of the press briefing I'm watching, not that broadcast re-encoded and then put online. Digital Foundry also pointed out the big framerate drops in the E3 footage. The new footage I've seen doesn't display such serious framerate issues. It's much more stable, even if that latest gameplay footage, before this story trailer, showcased some slight tearing. The performance was clearly better than the E3 build, something I'd glad take over what I saw at E3.

There were times when the E3 footage was solid or even perfect, but others when it had bad and obvious drops that would be highly distracting when trying to play it. It may not fit with your intended goal to acknowledge the flaws of the earlier media for this game, because that makes it harder to crow about downgrades that haven't happened, but the game was by no means perfect at E3. The newest footage shown displays much improved framerate as well as better visuals overall. And far be it from me to question your motivations, but that crappy screengrab you posted was heavily darkened, much darker from how the actual game appears. Why is that? That's why I wonder whether you purposely took some crappy screengrab that isn't actually representative of shadows at all, but more so of a mixture of more subtle shadows with a greatly darkened image overall, or just plain bad footage. Watching the press briefing footage now there is nowhere close to such an extreme change in lighting or shadow coverage when they go under the shields as that image implies, which is why I call bogus on that screen grab, and unfortunately nothing you can say will convince me otherwise, because I can see it for myself. The shadows that do appear are much more subtle in the E3 footage when they go under the shields, and that same look is more closely reflected by the screen grab of the new footage, not that screen grab from the old version of the game. What you posted approaches very close to pitch black. I'm curious if you were the one that did that screen grab, or if you got it from elsewhere, but wherever you got it, it doesn't reflect the game at all.

The fact that the E3 footage doesn't so drastically obscure the face of the main character, or so much of the armor's details during shield shadow coverage is all the proof I need of the intended purpose behind that screen grab. They want to show off the performance capture during that moment. It's one of the things Crytek highlights, and yet that screengrab almost entirely obscures the main character's face? Did Crytek screw up? Or is the screen grab screwed up? I go with the screen grab. Now, carry on if you will, but I've said as much as I will say on this matter. Go search for more downgrades.

Just ignore him. Seriously. It's not worth arguing with people who say stupid things.

c0de

They over clocked the GPU for a 5% performance gain. It's nothing major.

The optimizations Crytek made have a much bigger impact.

How many flip flops is that? Seriously though, this is a launch title that was being developed on the 360 as a kinect game and moved to the Xbox one. It looks stunning (yeah the gameplay is a major question point), that can only be a positive with regards to Xbox one for future games.

flip flops? lol.

IRQ

Banned
Never seen so much trolling on a positve topic before.
The gameplay is bad, The game is Linear (Like they have fucking completed the game and know every aspect).Pixels counting , pausing every second to find some flaws, Not enough water physic, No good shadow, No reflection on the eye pupil. Seriously, ITS A GAME. Get over your self and enjoy it. If you are not gonna get X1 nor this game, Why bother trolling and taking your precious time on something that does not interest you?

bj00rn_

Banned
Lay down the pipe.

I for one laid down my jaw when I saw your post history.. Probably one of the worst cases I've seen lately. I'm all for opinions, but why should people spend energy typing up serious responses to you when you obviously are on a mission.

So, history buffs, can you answer me something? The trailer suggests that Barbarians slaughter Marius' family in Rome, hence his serious anger issues. Now from what I understand, this is set around about 87AD? Now my history isn't the greatest, but between the two sackings I know of, the sacking of Rome in 300BC and the sacking of Rome by the goths in 400AD, wasn't Rome as safe as houses, so how would his family have been killed? This is a genuine question by the way, not some kind of attack on the game, I'm an absolute sucker for history.

G_Berry

Banned
Never seen so much trolling on a positve topic before.
The gameplay is bad, The game is Linear (Like they have fucking completed the game and know every aspect).Pixels counting , pausing every second to find some flaws, Not enough water physic, No good shadow, No reflection on the eye pupil. Seriously, ITS A GAME. Get over your self and enjoy it. If you are not gonna get X1 nor this game, Why bother trolling and taking your precious time on something that does not interest you?

They should be banned. Just like people get banned in ps4 threads.

Juniors and trolls continue to roam free unfortunately.

Pug

So, history buffs, can you answer me something? The trailer suggests that Barbarians slaughter Marius' family in Rome, hence his serious anger issues. Now from what I understand, this is set around about 87AD? Now my history isn't the greatest, but between the two sackings I know of, the sacking of Rome in 300BC and the sacking of Rome by the goths in 400AD, wasn't Rome as safe as houses, so how would his family have been killed? This is a genuine question by the way, not some kind of attack on the game, I'm an absolute sucker for history.

I'm pretty sure the dates in the game don't align with real history.

IRQ

Banned

Been following GAF for years, Never botherd to sign up before but I felt like doing it now to be a part of a great community to enjoy gaming news and grown up discussions.

One wont see me in a game/console topic that am not gonna buy or interested in.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not buying an Xbone anytime soon, but I'm following some of it's exclusive games.
this one to me looks nice, and I really love the atmpshpere and the environment, but I'm really torned because I really can't see this gameplay being satisfying...

Vitor711

We were all juniors once, be kind.

Seriously though, I know I'll likely end up preferring the PS4 to the XBone but MS's launch lineup is looking a little better, especially with the delay of Driveclub. Maybe I should just wait until Infamous to get my PS4 an make the most of Ryse, Forza and Dead Rising for now.

And boy, Ryse looks so damned good. Honestly can't tell if this or Killzone will end up being more impressive as a tech showcase.

The guy complaining about the shield shadows is a god damn troll. The soldiers in the more recent shot are obviously already in a shadowed area hence how the shields are no longer occluders and do not cast shadows.

Silly.

Top Bottom