• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saints Row Trailer

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Only completed the Third and IV though. Gangster isn't necessarily attached to the Saints Row series.
The main cast of SR3 and SR4 may didn't look like thugs and a lil exaggerated, but they had a gangster vibe. They definitely didn't look like a bunch of run of mil people you would expect to see in a Starbucks, like they do now. SR was always diverse and I don't have a problem with that as I think outrage over diversity is stupid in most cases, but the new cast just seems lame AF.

gm-a78a6d47-d414-4a49-a5f5-b7c8cb3d5c6b-saints-row-the-third.jpg

Saints-Row_2021_08-25-21_005.png

Boss Mog

I don't think that anyone confuses those two speciments. And to be frank I didn't know what BTS even is prior to this thread, I think it's just a simple "aesthetic" choice which team made.

And if i should talk about myself, my gripe about all of this, is not even with how those characters looks...
Surprised you never heard of BTS, they're like the biggest group in the world these days.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I thought it looked good on Judy from Cyberpunk at least... 🤣🤷‍♂️
Judy is a semi decent character. The hairstyle in general is what happens when you rip a wig in half and glue it on your bald head.

----------------------
If anything that yellow gang in the trailer is more true to Saints Row then whoever the 4 dweebs are.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Snippets from the engadget piece on the game:

The developers say that Saints Row’s focus is, at least early in the game, going to focus on the material concerns of its young crew. These disaffected millennials turn to crime to, for instance, put food on their table, feel part of a community and pay off their student loans. Chief creative officer Jim Boone says that it’s, broadly, a “contemporary” millennial “power fantasy.”

One of the questions raised in the roundtable with the game’s developers was that of cultural appropriation. The six people made available for interview were all middle-aged white men, creating a game set in a region where a significant proportion of the population is Latinx or Hispanic. Creative director Jim Boone said that diversity was important, and there was an explicit focus on making the team producing the game as diverse as the characters in it.

There are more than a few reasons why Volition chose to make Saints Row, rather than Saints Row V. Boone said that the classic series of games were very much “of [their] time,” with tastes and attitudes having moved on.

The team wanted to assure us that while the juvenilia that marked the previous series was gone, the irreverence would remain.

TL;DR:
We gathered around a bunch of people who hated and felt offended by the previous Saints Row games and we got them to make all significant decisions about this new Saints Row game.

RavageX

TL;DR:
We gathered around a bunch of people who hated and felt offended by the previous Saints Row games and we got them to make all significant decisions about this new Saints Row game.
I can't stay away from this thread even though I need to. I come back intending only to skim through a few posts only to view them all and see more of this.

This Jim fellow needs his ass whooped for this. And I mean a SR 1/2 ass whoopin', not a lighthearted 3/4.

The only thing that has made me feel better, is that a lot of people hate this direction too.

If I was the only one, well I think I would just have to walk off the earth somehow.

ShadowNate

I like that both of the youtube videos, teaser and trailer, only show the bad guy on the still preview image.

How embarrassed was the marketing guy who uploaded them for the misfit generic trendy youtube persona looking protagonists?

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Eh, I really don't mind the new character design. I found most of the original characters to be cheesy and cringe anyway so no loss for me. And if you want a "gangster" vibe that consists of boring tuffguys in suits you always have Yakuza.

Last edited:

laynelane

TL;DR:

I know it's not uncommon in this era, but it's still mind-boggling that the tastes and expectations of long-time fans are not a consideration at all in this. You know, the people who bought and played all the previous entries and built the success of the IP. It's no wonder the response to the reveal has been unfavourable. Reading the responses on YT and here, people seem frustrated and, in some cases, just sad and disappointed.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

I think this might actually prompt more gameplay for damage control. Having said that I had fun despite the wd2 cast and I think the gameplay will actually be ok and fun

howitis3

it's sad that saints row is officially dead now, but they are really hurting this new game by calling it saints row. They could attract some fortnite and watch dog fans to this game but the bad PR resulting from all the content creators is going to hurt. If I were them I would change the name.

Javthusiast

Banned
My hope is that side characters are better than your core crew. The leader will be fine as long as we have tons of options for look and voices, though the writing could fuck that up.

Lupingosei

Banned
I know it's not uncommon is this era, but it's still mind-boggling that the tastes and expectations of long-time fans are not a consideration at all in this. You know, the people who bought and played all the previous entries and built the success of the IP. It's no wonder the response to the reveal has been unfavourable. Reading the responses on YT and here, people seem frustrated and, in some cases, just sad and disappointed.
But they are not the customers they want. These are the customers they want.

soy-grin.jpg

This is their Saints Row now.

laynelane

But they are not the customers they want. These are the customers they want.

soy-grin.jpg

This is their Saints Row now.

Yeah, I got that sense from the whole "contemporary millennial power fantasy" line in the write-up. It'll be interesting to see if that pays off for them financially.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think this might actually prompt more gameplay for damage control. Having said that I had fun despite the wd2 cast and I think the gameplay will actually be ok and fun

Is there any possible redemption to the game at this point, considering the priorities the dev team has had from the start?

- Character Diversity
- Millennials with student debts and wanting to "feel part of a community"
- Concerns with Cultural Appropriation
- Different tastes and attitudes from the original series
- Bemoaning the original series using detrimental terms like "juvenilia" to describe it

I just don't see this as salvageable at this point. They're making a game about angry millennial hipsters who think the world owes them everything, I couldn't be any less interested in the story or its characters at this point.

TL;DR:

W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS... This right here is how the gaming industry will see it's next major crash....

....not by ballooning game budgets or developer crunch or ballooning gamer expectations...

...but by pandering to an extreme minority of woke individuals who in no way reflect the views, perspectives and interests of the wider global gaming community; or heck even the fans that make up the majority of the individual game playerbase.

Is there any possible redemption to the game at this point, considering the priorities the dev team has had from the start?

- Character Diversity
- Millennials with student debts and wanting to "feel part of a community"
- Concerns with Cultural Appropriation
- Different tastes and attitudes from the original series
- Bemoaning the original series using detrimental terms like "juvenilia" to describe it

I just don't see this as salvageable at this point. They're making a game about angry millennial hipsters who think the world owes them everything, I couldn't be any less interested in the story or its characters at this point.

WTF does cultural appropriation even mean in this context?!!

By that sort of shitty logic every fucking game coming out of the mostly leftist, California-based, western game studios will be filled with woke hipster neo-feminists.... because setting a game in any culture not your own is somehow cultural fucking appropriation?!... I don't even...

I've never actively wanted a game to fail, because no matter how bad it is I've always sympathised with the efforts and hard work of the devs. But in this case... nah, fuck these guys... I hope this fucking bombas worse than any game in history has ever bombed before.

They fucking ruined Saints Row; aka literally the only studio left making GTA-like games.

I wish the Sleeping Dogs dev never shuttered.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

TL;DR:
Absolutely disgusting. There's also this gem:

The developers say that Saints Row’s focus is, at least early in the game, going to focus on the material concerns of its young crew. These disaffected millennials turn to crime to, for instance, put food on their table, feel part of a community and pay off their student loans.

Oh poor millenials, they need to steal, how else could they afford their avocado toast and soy lattes? This seems to be condoning violence and crime for the sake of "social justice".

Javthusiast

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. There's also this gem:

Oh poor millenials, they need to steal, how else could they afford their avocado toast and soy lattes? This seems to be condoning violence and crime for the sake of "social justice".
The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Oh boy that is exactly what I wanted from my Saints Row games.

Why are these idiots still trying to appeal to this mythical billion strong woke hipster crowd?

Last edited:

Vaelka

The way she says '' my friends '' at the end of the trailer makes it sound like it's from a game for kids lol.
When she tries to look tough after it too it just comes across as silly, the more I look at it it really feels like Fortnite.

Valt7786

The way she says '' my friends '' at the end of the trailer makes it sound like it's from a game for kids lol.
When she tries to look tough after it too it just comes across as silly, the more I look at it it really feels like Fortnite.
Yeah I hated that too, would have been 1% easier to take seriously as a whole if she'd said "get away from my crew" or something. Just one word makes a whole difference there.

I definitely lean more to the SR 3/4 style. By God I loved how fun those games were because they were willing to be so over the top. I wouldn't have minded if the reboot went in a more SR 2 direction though if they were trying to get back to roots. This version though looks like hot garbage. This fucking edgy aesthetic needs to die a horrible death. Who is the target audience for these shit characters, and why has gaming embraced them?

amigastar

Currently now at the Epic Store is Saints Row the Third Remastered available for free. I'm gonna give it a try since i've never played it or had the urge to do so because it can't be better than GTA V, right?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

So, the snippet of gameplay looked nice from a graphical standpoint, but everything else looks... bleh.

Nothing about it felt like Saint's Row aside from it being "ridiculous", but there's also this element of "ridiculous" that comes with it that isn't good. I don't really know what they're going for in this, but it definitely didn't feel appealing. I want to believe it's all a parody, but I know that's not true.

JonSnowball

If anyone was wondering how Volition are responding to fan criticism, look at the replies on their Twitter page. They're basically trolling anyone who says they're disappointed.

sguuWaB.png

Top Bottom