• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots for Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch [SPOILER WARNING]

Yes, I used the wrong words. Sorry for that.

No problem, zelda does this to people.
Myself included...

Again, my cancer wording was...dumb...to say the least.

I know what you mean about Skyword Sword. At the time the game launched it was really hard not to think what could have been if the game had HD graphics.
And now, after you explained it, I can understand you. I do think thou that the game still looks good in those pics and the artstyle doesnt suffer as much as it did in TP or SS but you are right that it could be better.

The thing is skyward sword and breath of the wild don't really need to do any better.
Both games just need a resolution bump and some anti aliasing and thats it, look how incredible first party wii titles look when they simply get a resolution bump in dolphin. donkey kong returns,skyward sword, galaxy1+2 all look incredible and in my opinion (which will get laughed at) far better than anything produced on ps3 or xbox360.
I don't ask for better graphics, ever. what i do ask for is better image quality.
I'd be happier if nintendo stuck with gamecube or wii level graphics but with crystal clear image quality and high framerate, that's enough for nintendo due their art design being so far ahead of anyone else.

The art style is just amazingly beautiful, I adore it!
IQ sucks. It is a terrible looking game if you analyze it from that point of view, almost like a Wii game......

But damn....it looks glorious to me!! I don´t know, I am confused! In motion is just fantastic. The animations in general (specially the horses) are INCREDIBLE...

And the most important thing that people forget...it is a handheld game! Have you ever seen something better than this running on a handheld device?

Can´t wait!

And hey....the game will be a lot of fun, and by the end of the day,that is what matters. I keep playing Medieval 2 Total War everyday....a 10 years old game, and I love it.

I agree with this. While I like the look of the game, they should have gone full on cartoon shading instead of using real fextures. The game would have looked a lot better.

I disagree. The more realistic textures is one thing that makes it unique and sets it apart from Wind Waker. It has its own unique style.

The art style is perfect, its just technical limitations, but these can be eliminated in a remaster in a couple of years from now.

Rodin

The art style is just amazingly beautiful, I adore it!
IQ sucks. It is a terrible looking game if you analyze it from that point of view, almost like a Wii game......

But damn....it looks glorious to me!! I don´t know, I am confused! In motion is just fantastic. The animations in general (specially the horses) are INCREDIBLE...

And the most important thing that people forget...it is a handheld game! Have you ever seen something better than this running on a handheld device?

Can´t wait!

Hahaha, do you want to see a Wii game blown from its original resolution to 1080p?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The IQ has only sometimes looked washed out. The Japanese trailer from last week looked outstanding. looks like it's either the way the game is captured or its an effect of some sort.

jett

D-Member
I hope you realize that i don't watch my tv from the same distance as my monitor, and that in no way the quality of pics uploaded on imgur can be considered "pretty good".

No it isn't.

Actually they easily can since for one they don't re-compress JPEGs anymore, and two they now accept PNG uploads, which they remain untouched.

And these pics are PNGs, meaning they have lossless compression.

Dremorak

Banned
Dammit, I still have to wait around a week after the 3rd to get my copy of zelda :( hoping for amazon international shipping to be faster than usual lol.

Actually they easily can since for one they don't re-compress JPEGs anymore, and two they now accept PNG uploads, which they remain untouched.

And these pics are PNGs, meaning they have lossless compression.

Well,the game for sure doesn´t look THAT bad on TV at all.

jariw

Cemu emulation is definitely not how games "meant" to be played, because Nintendo would not be so highly praised if all their games had the typical problems that with Cemu emulation occurs.

But Cemu is for sharing screen shots on social networks. That's the most important aspect of computer game graphics.
/s

I was hoping the Switch could have at least run a Wii U game with high IQ

Only if textures and stuff are improved, with larger file sizes as a result. There's a reason this huge open world game is only 13 GB on both platforms.

Not one bit, just because someone doesn't follow the narrative you want does not make them a troll. I'm legitly trying to understand the praise and what others are seeing. I've seen others give great replies to my comments and reasons why the game is seen as beautiful even though technically it is sub par.

No but people who come in with the intention of making people angry does. You could've said "You know, why do people think this game looks good." And it isn't even that hard to figure out, the colors are bright, the environments are varied, the cell shaded looks gives off the vibe of something close to a Studio Ghibli movie and everyone has says this many times over since the game was revealed. Instead you went in saying "this game looks like shit." and derailing the thread. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Surfheart

Looked great till I looked at the screens full size. I was suprised at how low res and blurry it looks.

Is this the Wii U version or bad captures?

J3E0Fyk.jpg

Hmm I miss the way torches lit up the toon shading from e3, it was very Wind Wakery. Actually the recent batch of Wii U screens even showed that.. weird if it works different on each platform.

Reallink

Was gonna buy Horizon Tuesday and try to plow through it, but there's no way I could play this concurrently or directly after without being constantly fixated on how bad the graphics are. Guess I'll have to play this first.

I saw this torch scene and I'm still very curious to see if they fixed the lighting problems we saw during the Shrine of Resurrection. Guess it was one of the last/hardest things to port over.

ckaneo

J3E0Fyk.jpg

Hmm I miss the way torches lit up the toon shading from e3, it was very Wind Wakery. Actually the recent batch of Wii U screens even showed that.. weird if it works different on each platform.

There is no recent batch of wii u screens, but can we have some links?

I saw this torch scene and I'm still very curious to see if they fixed the lighting problems we saw during the Shrine of Resurrection. Guess it was one of the last/hardest things to port over.

If this is regarding the light sources and the light streaming into the room when the door opens to the outside i watched a video a few days ago from an event, definitely on switch and the light was there, just like the old wii u version.
Have no idea what video it was though, i've gone through so many...

Shin-Ra

I tried correcting the levels from 0-255 to 16-235 in GIMP and it looks a lot better. Maybe the screens were saved at 0-255 but the Switch only outputs at 16-235? I think the Wii U was like that also.

tuUwV8xl.png
hcPGV98l.png

Full size pics http://i.imgur.com/tuUwV8x.png https://i.imgur.com/hcPGV98.jpg
Additionally, all these PNG screenshots have been captured from a lossy video capture. Most noticeable on the red/pink of the hearts/magnet on the HUD (which appears to all be native 1080p) but also within the 3D scene.

There is no recent batch of wii u screens, but can we have some links?
Ah, looks like I mistook a series of switch/Wii U comparison pictures for being fresh screens of each version, sorry.

Here is what I'm taking about: http://media.nintendo.com/e3/e3-ass...-wild-wii-u/screenshots/screenshot_10-768.jpg
It's very apparent any time characters are near fire, or even sparks from weapon impacts (like Wind Waker again)
All there seems to be now is the old man and Link's shins lighting up near a cooking pot, but super bright things like Guardian laser blasts still do affect the shading in a cool looking way.

xch1n

So how much RAM does the Switch have again? Are people actually surprised that textures aren't insanely sharp?

VICI0US

I'm not saying anything is bad. I'm just saying if people know that it has half the RAM of the other consoles I don't understand how they're surprised if the textures are lower resolution than other current-gen games. Textures use A LOT of memory.

The switch OS is far less of a resource hog than the xb/ps OS. The ps4 may have 8gb of RAM, but a full 3gb go to the OS leaving 5gb for games. Only .75gb of the switch's RAM is reserved for the OS, leaving 3.25gb for games.

brad-t

I don't think these screenshots look particularly good, but I don't really care because whenever I've actually watched footage of the game in motion — as in, how I'll actually be playing the game — it looks great.

:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

The woman's face is just mangled thanks to the poor resolution.

You know what? I agree with you. But because it's Zelda,…

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think these screenshots look particularly good, but I don't really care because whenever I've actually watched footage of the game in motion — as in, how I'll actually be playing the game — it looks great.

Yeah, pretty much. The screens don't look spectacular, but for one, Nintendo's screenshots always seem off, and literally all videos (especially the direct feed ones) of this game look incredible. So I'm not too worried yet :)

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the textures look rough as hell. Luckily 99% of my playtime will be handheld only. I would not want to be playing this on a 1080p TV.

Air

Banned
There's an unboxing video with Aonuma and while there really isn't much new there we haven't seen already, he does drop a name on the special flower in the logo and trailers. They're named the 'silent princess'.

Thought it was intriguing

Xdrive05

Some of the textures look rough as hell. Luckily 99% of my playtime will be handheld only. I would not want to be playing this on a 1080p TV.

I'll be playing on a 32" 1080p from across a small room. DPI should be fine from that distance.

I bet it'd be quite rough, though, on like a 100" set. I remember playing Twilight Princess Wii on an HD set and it was pretty fugly.

Caelus

You know what? I agree with you. But because it's Zelda,...

Do you think just because people like Zelda that they're blind to IQ issues? The whole "if it were any other game but Zelda etc." argument is absurd.

I bet it'd be quite rough, though, on like a 100" set. I remember playing Twilight Princess Wii on an HD set and it was pretty fugly.

Twilight Princess has fairly awful textures, I thought Skyward Sword and the original Wind Waker looked OK on my HD set even with the aliasing. They've seemed to implement some anti-aliasing solution here so maybe that'll help.

I'm not saying anything is bad. I'm just saying if people know that it has half the RAM of the other consoles I don't understand how they're surprised if the textures are lower resolution than other current-gen games. Textures use A LOT of memory.

Most game engines these days will stream textures on the fly, lower ram is not the main reason the texture resolution is low.

I can't actually think of a Nintendo game that isn't ARMS that has high resolution textures.

Xdrive05

Do we know what image quality menu settings the game will let you adjust? Is there a video showing this?

I think the first thing we should do is get it looking right on our TV sets. My super-budgety Samsung set has a game mode which turns off all image processing and reduces input lag. Hopefully the game lets you adjust contrast and exposure so you don't have to tweak your input channel.

Ah, but then how would adjusting those settings on the console affect the undocked image? Maybe by default it is calibrated to look best on the Switch screen, so you'd probably not want to muck with it for your TV set? Too many questions!

Coreda

Are you trolling or something? Don't answer cause you are.

Of course it has to be labeled trolling on this board when people disagree. He's not wrong. It's practically Nier Automata levels of IQ. Similar to that game though people are looking past the shortcomings as they like the rest of the game. The poster even says as much.

Seeing as this is the current thread:

I know the unwritten GAF guidelines suggest an OT one week before release, but mine's gonna be a few days before. It's quite ambitious, and the wait should maintain some hype too :)

Übermatik;230794955 said:

I know the unwritten GAF guidelines suggest an OT one week before release, but mine's gonna be a few days before. It's quite ambitious, and the wait should maintain some hype too :)

I think the rule actually changed to 24 hours prior recently, but I might have that wrong

Trevelyan

Banned

Actually, OTs now go up the day before, so seems like you're fine.

Plum

I'm looking forward to it! Wondering how an OT can be "ambitious" considering the ones we've had before, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)
Any idea on the subtitle?

These seem to be Wii-U screenshots because they are ugly, foggy and without any sharpness. On Switch this game looks so much better and much more sharp and polished.

Nah these are Switch screenshots, they're just bad Switch screenshots. Nintendo can't seem to do screenshots at all.

xch1n

Most game engines these days will stream textures on the fly, lower ram is not the main reason the texture resolution is low.

I can't actually think of a Nintendo game that isn't ARMS that has high resolution textures.

Streaming doesn't change the fact that if an asset is or was or is about to be on screen the texture needs to be loaded into memory. And they're still some of the biggest assets to be in memory.

Also like, this thread, people complaining about low res textures??

Top Bottom