• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Serious Sam "Indie Series" - Seriously for Everyone!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/09/serious-sam-gets-serious-indie-cred-with-new-indie-series/

Serious Sam DoubleD:
Developed by Mommy's Best Games, creators of Shoot 1Up and Explosionade on XBLIG.

Release:

Trailers:

SSDoubleD.png

serious-sam-double-dchimputee-art.jpg

Additional:

Kamikaze Attack

Play it here!

serious-sam-kamikaze-attacktitle-art.jpg

serious-sam-kamikaze-attackscreen-2.jpg

The Random Encounter

ssre-concept-screen.jpg

Additional:

- Indie Devs Get All Up in Your Serious Sam -

THE INTERNET – Croteam and Devolver Digital drop a Serious Bomb on the world with the revelation of the Serious Sam Indie Series, a collection of Serious Sam games designed and developed by some of the most talented independent developers in the world. Set to rock everything from PCs to mobile platforms to consoles, the first collection of games in the Serious Sam Indie Series sees the result of three acclaimed indie developers taking the reins of the award-winning series and unleashing their own brand of mayhem!

"Croteam has always been proud to be an independent studio working on something that we created ourselves and truly love making each game," said Roman Ribaric, CEO of developer Croteam. "We wanted to put our beloved Serious Sam in the hands of some of today's best indie developers out there and see what they would come up with. I think Serious Sam fans and fans of these brilliant developers will be really happy with the great games they're developing now."

Serious Sam: Double D (Mommy's Best Games)
Serious Sam explodes across the second dimension as Mommy's Best Games (Weapon of Choice, Explosionade, Shoot 1UP) slams the legendary hero into a frantic side-scrolling shooter on PC and consoles. Featuring killer hand drawn artwork, classic and original enemies, and the innovative weapon stacking system, Serious Sam: Double D is a uniquely exciting chapter in the Serious Sam saga. All that stands between victory and annihilation is a man with a T-shirt and jeans... and a great big pile of guns.

Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack! (Be-Rad Entertainment)
Pledge allegiance to the evil lord Mental, join the ranks of the Headless Kamikaze brigade and destroy the vile Serious Sam. Be-Rad Entertainment's (Lame Castle) hand drawn auto runner brings the awesome to mobile platforms as you guide your fearless group of Headless Kamikazes across the battlefield, dodging hazards and pitfalls while avoiding oncoming fire from the deplorable Serious Sam.

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (Vlambeer)
The classic RPG turn-based battle gets a seriously frantic overhaul as Vlambeer (Super Crate Box, Radical Fishing) turns their talent loose on the first Serious Sam role-playing game. Traverse a harsh and dangerous world map as Serious Sam and his team are thrown into rapid-fire battles against towering numbers of enemies on their way to glory against the legions of Mental's horde. Arm your squad to the teeth with massive ordinance, throw down some special items and take aim at the hordes of charging enemies holding that sweet, sweet loot you crave so badly.

All three titles will be released over the coming months leading up to Croteam's highly anticipated Serious Sam 3: BFE. PAX East attendees can visit the Mental's Horde Recruitment Center at PAX East Booth I-16 to test-drive Serious Sam: Double D and Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack!

Croteam's upcoming Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE takes place during the Earth's final struggle against Mental's invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3: BFE is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features.

"I've never heard of any of these indie clowns," said Fork Parker, chief financial officer at Devolver Digital, publisher of Serious Sam 3: BFE. "Do any of these jokers make hentai games? I'm telling you guys, that weird tentacle stuff is the future of gaming."

Platforms are unspecified, though they mention "Consoles" "PC" and "Mobile Devices".

DaBuddaDa

SAB CA said:
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (Vlambeer)
The classic RPG turn-based battle gets a seriously frantic overhaul as Vlambeer (Super Crate Box, Radical Fishing) turns their talent loose on the first Serious Sam role-playing game.
Holy fucking shit yes yes!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Very much looking forward to Mommy's Best and Vlambeer's entries.

Is Sam firing an entire gun rack in that first pic?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm a big fan of Mommy's Best XBLIG stuff, so I'm very interested in that, along with the RPG. Very cool that this is being sponsored by the company, hopefully it encourages people to check out other releases by these indie teams.

Sciz

Even better than Devolver's teasing suggested. And since this is called the first collection, presumably if they sell we'll see more. :O

Very cool. I'll play all of them but I think I'm looking forward to the one Mommy's Best Games the most since I like all of their other previous games.

More info on Double D:

Once again, Sam ‘Serious’ Stone must use the Time-Lock to travel through time and destroy the enemies of humanity’s past, in order to save its future. But since his last outing, 2 important new relics have been discovered: the Gun Stacker and the Porta Pad. Only Sam is serious enough – and crazy enough – to use this untested technology.

All that stands between victory and annihilation is a man with a T-shirt and jeans… and a great big pile of guns.

One gun sometimes not enough? Two still too wimpy? Try firing all your guns at once with the Gun Stacker system!

New Enemies in glorious 2D! Serious Sam Double D brings the crazy with new creatures like the flying Chimputee and the Etanoh Salvo Spider!

Porta Pad technology: Secret technology to be revealed at PAX East this weekend!

http://mommysbest.blogspot.com/2011/03/serious-sam-double-d.html

John

i will be disappointed if kamikaze attack does not feature AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA throughout the entire game

Sciz

HadesGigas said:
Kamikaze Attack is playable here:
http://www.serioussam.com/joinmental/kamikaze.html

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Not bad for being yet another auto-runner. That can't actually be the real Serious Sam though, he isn't running backwards.

When Double D and The Random Encounter get closer to release, I'll put up a proper OT for them. They look like they're going to deserve it.

The M.O.B said:
Can we get a release date for SS3 now?
September.

And as long as this is the current Serious Sam thread anyway, Devolver is at it with their distinctive brand of promotional videos again.

fernoca

Thought Double D was confirmed as an Xbox Indie, maybe I read it wrong. Still nice, love Mommy's Best Games. XD

SmokyDave

I bought Serious Sam DD last night. It's rough around the edges but I quite like it. Lots of guns, lots of enemies and labyrinthine levels with lots of secret walls. Controls nicely with a 360 pad.

Anybody else remember it was coming out?

Sciz

SmokyDave said:
I bought Serious Sam DD last night. It's rough around the edges but I quite like it. Lots of guns, lots of enemies and labyrinthine levels with lots of secret walls. Controls nicely with a 360 pad.

Anybody else remember it was coming out?
I put up an OT for the whole series, but no one cared. Which is a shame, since Double D really is quite a lot of fun.

Kamikaze Attack! is out now too, and The Random Encounter should be here in a couple weeks or so.

will definitely get random encounter if it doesn't end up requiring steam. it says other downloads, hopefully other doesn't just mean steam keys. like it does on the "proper" serious sam games.

Top Bottom