• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue 3 Prototype Screenshot

Spaghetti

shenmue-3%E2%80%99s-environment-is-making-use-of-ue4.jpg

expect-plenty-of-mystery-in-the-forthcoming-shenmue-3-video-game.jpg

the-creative-team-behind-the-return-of-the-shenmue-video-game-franchise.jpg

Two new prototype screens and a photo of the development team, from a Yu Suzuki interview with Red Bull.

Looks pretty damn good - if they can make motion fluid and maintain that kind of quality throughout then I'll be very, very happy with it graphically. Still can't believe it's getting made. :)

Rymuth

Now that's a close-knitted team if I ever saw one.

YU: Who wants Insta-Ramen for lunch?
"Me!"
"Me!"
"Can I have the spicy, chunky kind?"
YU: What, you think I'm made of money? You'll get the plain one and you'll like it!

Spaghetti

Barely 8 months into development with a long road ahead and it already looks that good. I'm more than ok with this.
Actually I don't think they began work on the prototype until around Septemberish, so it's maybe at around the six month mark of actual production in terms of coding, asset generation, etc.

But yeah, I'm still very much enjoying seeing how they're building the atmosphere for the game world even in the prototype phase.

schaft0620

If I could give a hug to everyone in this thread I would right now. When I was about 13/14 I was really lucky enough to get a Dreamcast. The positive experiences I had with my friends forever changed my life and gave me a hobby that I still love today. THIS IS SO FUCKING AWESOME

SirBaron

Banned
The models in the first shot seem to have been placed purely for placement. It's what we did when we were working on Lightspire/X32I.

However the latest shots look pretty decent.

SomTervo

Now that's a close-knitted team if I ever saw one.

YU: Who wants Insta-Ramen for lunch?
"Me!"
"Me!"
"Can I have the spicy, chunky kind?"
YU: What, you think I'm made of money? You'll get the plain one and you'll like it!

Haha

Bear in mind it's "close-knit" not "close-knitted" ;)

The game is looking better and better with each update and of course that's how games work, but its coming along rather quickly and already looking good in my opinion

Tools nowadays (esp ones like Unreal) are getting better and better and it's easier to make games than before - of course there's a high skill barrier for entry, but the work can be done faster.

Spaghetti

Wait, is that Lan Di in the background? All right, which one of you added him?

Was it you?
>.>
<.<

Naw. Yu said in the interview he wishes for some of the development staff to remain anonymous. I have my theories why though. They're hardly chemtrails conspiracy-theory level, but I think the anonymous dev might be someone contracted to a different company, who is working on Shenmue 3 part-time out of respect for Yu/love of Shenmue.

Shenmue

Banned
Dunno where to post this but I'm catching up on podcasts from around the New Year and I heard Arthur gies on rebel fm bashing on the paypal backer ks backer rewards thing except he was completely uninformed. He was basically calling the ks backers greedy and disgusting. He also said the poll was because they are desperate now that it's obvious they didn't get anywhere near enough to make the game. This shit is really making me angry and sad. =(

People seem to love putting down Shenmue 3's KS and post funding efforts, sure it's not been smooth, but just look at those screens for a fingers up fuck you rebuttal to the contrary on how much they are struggling! Yes they probably could do with more money, but hey there's never enough money when it comes to developing a game, and I honestly believe if it ever got to a point where they ran out, Sony would bail us all out and step in to help finish, monetary or whatever was necessary to get it finished, after all they are mostly responsible for giving Yu the opportunity to bring this awesome series back from the dead.

Spaghetti

Dunno where to post this but I'm catching up on podcasts from around the New Year and I heard Arthur gies on rebel fm bashing on the paypal backer ks backer rewards thing except he was completely uninformed. He was basically calling the ks backers greedy and disgusting. He also said the poll was because they are desperate now that it's obvious they didn't get anywhere near enough to make the game. This shit is really making me angry and sad. =(
Gies is a laughing stock and has as much to contribute to the discussion as a 12 year old GameFAQs poster, so I wouldn't pay any attention to him.

We've got a lot to look forward to in under 20 days when Magic Monaco hits, so there's no point getting angry or sad. Teaser video, new screens, and details on the story and game mechanics. I'm getting pretty excited to hear more at least.

Shenmue

Banned
Gies is a laughing stock and has as much to contribute to the discussion as a 12 year old GameFAQs poster, so I wouldn't pay any attention to him.

We've got a lot to look forward to in under 20 days when Magic Monaco hits, so there's no point getting angry or sad. Teaser video, new screens, and details on the story and game mechanics. I'm getting pretty excited to hear more at least.

Thanks I needed that. Just so tired of all the unfounded negativity.

What's magic Monaco? Is that like a game show?

I know graphical fidelity-wise, it will look a lot better. But I hope in terms of style it will look less like a Skyrim ENB mod like that first screenshot reminds me of. Not saying that Skyrim ENB mods look bad. But they always have a kind of bland realism that never really meshes too well into a cohesive look.

Gies has said a lot of shit that has no merit, best to just ignore.

Spaghetti

Thanks I needed that. Just so tired of all the unfounded negativity.

What's magic Monaco? Is that like a game show?
Anime/TV/Film/Games show out in Monaco, run by Shenmue 3's producer Cedric Biscay.

It should be an interesting event, as it's a fairly small and unconventional place to unveil new material for a game that got announced in one of the biggest bombshells of Sony's E3 presser. Might get some different takes on the game from news outlets/journalists who aren't part of traditional Western games media.

Spaghetti

I know graphical fidelity-wise, it will look a lot better. But I hope in terms of style it will look less like a Skyrim ENB mod like that first screenshot reminds me of. Not saying that Skyrim ENB mods look bad. But they always have a kind of bland realism that never really meshes too well into a cohesive look.
I imagine they're using placeholder/prefabricated assets in a lot of places to help build the game world quickly and determine the right size and density right now. They'll get tweaked and polished for sure in the next... 24 months before the game is set to ship.

Spaghetti

That's the biggest thing for me. I couldn't care less about how it looks graphically as long as it's got fluid animation.
I can't remember which exact interview it was, but Yu said something about being heavily interested in animation blending techniques being used. Shenmue was also one of the pioneering games for motion capture too, so I'm fairly confident that'll remain part of the next game.

celsowmbr

Banned
Man...Amazing screenshots.
How will be people's reaction when they release the first gameplay video ?!?
My mind will melt !

Sulik2

Looking good. Nice environments.

Side note: I would totally play a game with that looks like that Bayonetta prototype.

Spaghetti

Team seems really small. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad.
I wouldn't assume everybody in that picture is the entire development team. We know YSnet partnered with Neilo (headed by Shenmue lead programmer Tak Hirai) for development, so they could be working out of two offices.

Either way, they seem a spirited, dedicated bunch. The more open-plan office space seems a nice change from the walled off cubicles usually associated with Japanese game development.

Shenmue

Banned
Man...Amazing screenshots.
How will be people's reaction when they release the first gameplay video ?!?
My mind will melt !

Actual people who backed or have a genuine interest: "NICE! I'm excited to see more!"

Majority of western press: "Something negative, blah blah troll troll blah"

I wouldn't assume everybody in that picture is the entire development team. We know YSnet partnered with Neilo (headed by Shenmue lead programmer Tak Hirai) for development, so they could be working out of two offices.

Either way, they seem a spirited, dedicated bunch. The more open-plan office space seems a nice change from the walled off cubicles usually associated with Japanese game development.

Do you know if that one Korean dude that did all that amazing work on his own is in that picture somewhere?

looks like a dreamcast game so that's good

Ridiculous, show me one dreamcast game that looked that good. No way have I seen textures like that on Dreamcast and even on the original Xbox. Not interested in this game but people saying it looks crap are just blowing smoke, it looks pretty good, especially for how early it is in development.

Spaghetti

Think it is a common thing to wear if you are sick over there. At least that is what I understand.
This. It'd be helpful if more cultures did this, because I can't count the amount of times I got ill because someone came into the office while they were sick.

Besides, can you imagine how easily it'd spread in an office that small? Surgical mask guy is a hero.

Shenmue

Banned
Is the dude in the back wearing a surgical mask? What's up with Japan and wearing surgical masks?

Yup it's customary to do that in most of Asia. This is especially necessary because how crowded many of the major Asian cities are, that crowded trains are the main mode of transportation, the culture of walking out around the crowded town, the SARS scare, and just general courtesy. I wish people would do that here.

Think it is a common thing to wear if you are sick over there. At least that is what I understand.

Either to keep from spreading germs or to prevent breathing in germs from sick co-workers.

Yup it's customary to do that in most of Asia. I wish people would do that here.
Ok that makes sense. I thought maybe it was a fashion statement. I agree that I wish people would do it here in the US as well, when sick.

Spaghetti

will do man. my VGA adapter is a bit messed up but hopefully it lasts until i'm done with the game lol.
Fingers crossed!

----

For everybody new coming in, in 16 days time Magic Monaco will be happening. Shenmue 3 is due to be shown to the press and public there. We've been told a small teaser video will be shown, and we'll likely get new screens and more information about the story and gameplay.

Alebrije

Not bad actually, they have plenty of time to improve. Somethig special about this series is the art style and it seems they are on thenrigt path

Spaghetti

Not bad actually, they have plenty of time to improve. Somethig special about this series is the art style and it seems they are on thenrigt path
24+ months to improve, if we're talking numbers.

But yeah, I'd agree on the "right path" comment. They're clearly not even halfway there to getting to look perfect, but they're obviously taking the steps needed in the prototype phase to get it right.

Top Bottom