• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue III screentshots at Magic Monaco 2018

celsowmbr

Banned
DWy1-EMW4AAZUlu

DWy1-EPXkAAIoTU

DWy1-ERXcAAaPaE

DWy1-EPWAAAi1wy

and at 17:10 CET we will get a new informations of Shenmue III (chance of gameplay)

update 1:

Last edited:

Alx

That's quite hit and miss. There's something off with the kid's face and I still can't get over the weird grin of that bad(?) guy. The others are fine.

MayauMiao

Its a fine balance between sticking to original design and using modern graphical effects.

They are only a small team backed by Kickstarter money so I don't think we can expect them to match the levels of a AAA developers.

Arcane0ne

All looks good for me,the only problem i have with the ryo's model is the short forehead, only this needs a fix.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I pity those who don't dig the uncanny valley vintage look. It's perfect. It's no Sleeping Dogs but it works just fine. This is going to be probably my last day one as a gamer, the first in like 7 years (2019 release, right?).

ajim

Looking really good so far and I quite like ryos look.

Hopefully we get more end of the day, tho nothing is guaranteed.

In the presentation Yu mainly spoke about the production of the first two games, and dodged release date questions, and said he would like to make Shenmue into some movie or something with real or cg actors.

Please just keep video games yu... :'(

OH-MyCar

I was positive this game was going to be reviled when it comes out because people just don't remember (or know) what Shenmue was actually like, but KCD has me hopeful there are a ton of people out there willing to embrace a lot of jank & weirdness for something different.

Other than the weird Clayfighter guy, it looks great to me so far.

Graven

I really like it, i think it's as good as it can be. This game does not have a monumental budget, so expecting it to be cutting edges in the graphical department is a delusion.

I feel that the long hair bulky guy will play a big part in the story, like Ren in Shenmue 2, a friendly rival of sorts.

I think it looks fine and stylized. When it comes to Shenmue I'm more interested in the game systems, as that'll be what makes or breaks the game.

Its a fine balance between sticking to original design and using modern graphical effects.

They are only a small team backed by Kickstarter money so I don't think we can expect them to match the levels of a AAA developers.

They made the same amount of money that Kingdom Come: Deliverance made for their kickstarter and yet, they have no shame whatsoever for releasing such abysmal screenshots. Yu Suzuki has definitely passed his prime and is only making this game just so he can buy himself food to survive. What a bum he is.

Pachi72

I love the fact that they kept the same style like in part 1 and 2..no over the type graphics..Ryo face is spot on.

Mecha Meow

Man, this is actually looking decent even with the jank animation and no-emotion Ryo look.

I remember back in late 2000 when Shenmue was released for the Dreamcast, 30+ people were lined up at the Flint, Mi Funcoland waiting to get a copy.

Actually found the location, but Gamestop of course is there in its place now.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I can't decide if I think this looks lovely or absolutely hideous. It seems every other screenshot is changing my opinion. What is happening with that muscle dude?

The video is an extended version of the Gamescon 2017 video shown in August of last year which itself was shown much earlier to Kickstarter Backers.

That's why in motion the characters don't have their facial animation rigged and also why the models in motion are much older than the current ones from some of the screenshots. Games keeps looking better and better as time goes on so hopefully at E3 we can maybe have a proper trailer/media/gameplay blowout. If not that is fine by me as I would rather they don't rush and do the best job they can, especially given the level of scrutiny the game is under by the general public who don't normally see development in progress as it happens.

I'm not particularly worried about how the final product turns out, I will say I think it was a bad move to show much older footage at this show as it maybe gives mixed signals to the public but at the same time this is a tiny event so not exactly a huge media show like E3.

Last edited:

thelawof4

I am sure they will change the models and animations but without any real gameplay footage this whole thing feels kinda weird.

20cent

Banned
That looks.....good to me?

I wasn't expecting Uncharted level of "realism", and that's not what I want either.

Dat lil girls hairline, dat puffiness all day every day..dem bodybuilding arms..Models look weird AF, but environments look clean and gorgeous.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That looks.....good to me?

I wasn't expecting Uncharted level of "realism", and that's not what I want either.

Agreed. This is clearly going towards a more nostalgic look. It feels like Shenmue 1/2 with a shiny coat of paint - which is perfectly fine with me. As long as the story/characters are as interesting as they were in 1/2 and it ends the series well - I will be happy.

They made the same amount of money that Kingdom Come: Deliverance made for their kickstarter and yet, they have no shame whatsoever for releasing such abysmal screenshots. Yu Suzuki has definitely passed his prime and is only making this game just so he can buy himself food to survive. What a bum he is.

This triggered me hard. I hope you were banned for this post lol

On a serious note, some of KC's animations and graphics are still embarrassing 6 years after the kickstarter. I can only imagine how bad they were 2 to 3 years into development like Shenmue is now. Give it time. The master, Yu Suzuki, will not release a mediocre product.

I loved the first two on Dreamcast. I've since tried the Yakuza games but they don't scratch the same itch for me. Rose coloured glasses perhaps.

Algorum

Neo Member
It looks like they decided to remake the original shenmue instead of looking like a true next generation sequel.

Maybe that’s a complement, though? But it still looks very much like a Dreamcast game for some reason.

Nailed it? Nostalgic for sure.

Top Bottom