• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) TV anime on noitaminA: Sakamichi no Apollon

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think you understand what he's saying. Back when H&C was released, blu-rays didn't exist. Hence the DVD sales represented 100% of the anime buying audience. When blu-rays were introduced into the market, they didn't create some new audience base that didn't exist before. The people who bought DVDs just mostly migrated to buying blu-rays instead since they're paying 70 bucks for 2 episodes anyway.
Yeah, pretty much. Using just the Ano Hana DVD numbers doesn't make sense in this situation, other than to say that no one buys DVDs anymore.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Are people really debating the legitimacy of piano-percussion jazz? wtf

I don't see anyone questioning it whatsoever. I am disappointed that there may not be trumpet or saxophone (why use jazz as a motif and not homage Davis and Coltrane in the same beat?), and I enjoy Mouse on Keys for what they are. I love Evans and Monk for their piano jazz, but there's a reason why Kind of Blue is the best jazz album ever and why 3 of the above mentioned musicians contributed to its recording.

iavi

Well, I hardly count as a person.

But Icarus, my sis, you count to me.

I don't see anyone questioning it whatsoever. I am disappointed that there may not be trumpet or saxophone (why use jazz as a motif and not homage Davis and Coltrane in the same beat?), and I enjoy Mouse on Keys for what they are. I love Evans and Monk for their piano jazz, but there's a reason why Kind of Blue is the best jazz album ever and why 3 of the above mentioned musicians contributed to its recording.

That's true, the post was a bit hurried. But as for the lack of other instruments; (One) has it been confirmed that we aren't getting any mention of the others? And (two) if so, I don't know what Kodama had in mind when writing it, but I think it to be in the name of narrative.

What I gather together from all the trailer, synopsis, and Watanabe's proven penchant is that the show will focus much more on the inter-personal relations, rather than the art itself; a woven web of three being much easier to build upon/maintain.

Instro

I kind of like the idea of no saxophone jazz. I love the instrument, but its what I normally associate with jazz music, so its interesting to hear something a bit different and unique.

Ezalc

I kind of like the idea of no saxophone jazz. I love the instrument, but its what I normally associate with jazz music, so its interesting to hear something a bit different and unique.

No, I refuse this. Sax Jazz is a glorious masterpiece and more of it can only be a good thing. Of course not everything has to include a sax in it as shown by the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, but sax jazz is awesome and if this show is about jazz then it damn better have sax in it.

The Boat

Good music is good music. Good jazz is good jazz. It doesn't matter if it has sax, piano or whatever else tickles your particular fancy.

Vespa

Wow, this...this is special.

It's been a very long wait for Watanabe to return and I can't quite believe it.

This is how people must have felt when Jesus returned that one time.

ArjanN

Yes.

Anime consists of shows with guns and/or swords, and Love Hina type shit.

Yes.

Even though this probably isn't another moe harem comedy, I don't really care for highschool drama stuff either. Might as well make a live-action show at that point. To me the whole point of animation is that you can be way more out there.

iavi

Was the Animatrix before or after Champloo?

The Animatrix was before Champloo.

What has Watanabe worked on since Samurai Champloo?

Since Champloo Watanabe has directed the short Baby Blue, the first opening of Star Driver, and was the music director for Michiko to Hatchin. I may be missing a few things, but he hasn't been doing much, from what I've seen so far.

Ezalc

So if I'm what I'm reading in this thread is correct, Yoko Kanno - saxophone = hack?

Oooookie dokie.

We're saying that if this anime has no sax then it'll be disappointing and would miss one of the biggest instruments associated with Jazz.

The Animatrix was before Champloo.

To answer the question you were responding to though, Since Champloo Watanabe has directed the short Baby Blue, the first opening of Star Driver, and was the music director for Michiko to Hatchin. I may be missing a few things, but he hasn't been doing much, from what I've seen so far.

Figures the only good thing from that show was from somebody who was involved with Cowboy Bebop.

I hope Mr. Glasses picks up string bass sometime into the plot, so we can have a piano trio and not just piano-percussion jazz all the time. Musical camaraderie is the theme of this show, so it'd be ridiculous to keep the protagonist out of that same musical love.

Shame about it being in the 60s, though—I wanted more representation for the big J-fusion era. Can't complain about Moanin', though.

Amagon

This announcement + trailer

hO9bi.gif

Soma

I didn't even realize till just now that this story takes place in the 60's. I'm even more interested now as I love stuff from that decade.

Azure J

9B4Rv.jpg

Synopsis:

Staff:
Director: Shinichirou Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)
Music: Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus)
Animation Production: MAPPA (New Madhouse, not Badhouse)
/Tezuka Productions

QOMyF.gif

What the fuck? Where did this come from and why didn't I hear of it sooner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom