• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) TV anime on noitaminA: Sakamichi no Apollon

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

I kind of like the idea of no saxophone jazz. I love the instrument, but its what I normally associate with jazz music, so its interesting to hear something a bit different and unique.
That is the attitude! People, lets not forget of the difficulties derived from the profession. After the 'big bands' era, the habitual changes on the availability, for recordings or acts, of musicians in an assembly (because of the constant stream of compromises for many to sustain themselves) made it a very volatile environment. To make a living, many recurred to the closest people they knew to make small formations, and that is why trios were more common in modern Jazz. One of the most recurrent on this time was the piano trio specifically formed by piano, bass and drums for house acts. This kind of group was then a requisite to experiment for many of the greatest soloist (like Art Tatum) and those accustomed to band formations. Oscar Peterson commenced on this kind of trio, and the mentioned Thelonious Monk collaborated with greats like Percy Heath (bass) or Max Roach (drums) on his own trio this way.

Negating the importance of this interconnected assemblies creates a conflict with the very same maturity of this musical genre.

For those interested in the musical aspect of this upcoming series and want recommendations, remember that we have on this forum a magnificent thread dedicated to that (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384488).

Even though this probably isn't another moe harem comedy, I don't really care for highschool drama stuff either. Might as well make a live-action show at that point. To me the whole point of animation is that you can be way more out there.

If it does not appeal to you, then that is fine. But to write it off as "Love Hina type shit" is beyond ridiculous.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fan of the production crew... but the concept seems to be over done in japan.

More highschool drama/comedy/whatthefuckevershit.

Where are our seinen heroes? Spike? Guts?! Duke Togo! City Hunter! Crying Freeman! Lupin!

Fuckin' it's all kids nowadays. All fucking kids! I can't relate to that shit! WTF Japan!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Are people really debating the legitimacy of piano-percussion jazz? wtf

Thanks for linking to this. I'm going to buy this album.

Where are our seinen heroes? Spike? Guts?! Duke Togo! City Hunter! Crying Freeman! Lupin!

Fuckin' it's all kids nowadays. All fucking kids! I can't relate to that shit! WTF Japan!

I'm actually totally down with this show, but I actually totally agree. The lack of seinen heroes in anime kinda sucks lately.

Though, the new Golgo 13 anime is pretty awesome.

duckroll

The guy who will be performing the piano scenes for this anime has put out a few albums too: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Takashi+Matsunaga/a/albums.htm

You can find some of the songs on youtube as well, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqw9IB110s

He seems pretty good!

It'll be stuff that Americans brought over during the occupied Japan, so probably 30s-50s

Since they mentioned specially stuff like Moanin' and Someday My Prince Will Come, that seems pretty accurate.

It's based on a josei manga, dude.

Dynedom

A new music and school life show, huh? I hope it's as good as K-ON!

AndHereWeGo.gif

Cwarrior

My reaction to this

Staff:

Director: Shinichiro Watanabe
attachment.php

The true savior has returned to us.

http://www.noitamina-apollon.com/

Is real noitaminA coming back in April?

What the fuck is this? Looks like some yaoi high school boys emo drama with them crying in the rain and playing music instruments, don't tell me this the anime Watanabe is working on, I celebrated before clicking the link :(

edit:

*reads chapter 1 of manga*

Fucken highschool
Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

* rips Watanabe poster from wall*

*sets fire to Wantanbe shrine*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bOJT_HtUI

BluWacky

Sakamichi no Apollon is josei, targeted at women - it's not going to feature seinen heroes.

Also, seinen covers a surprising spectrum. Recent seinen anime include things like Chi's Sweet Home (the hero of which is a kitten) and Big Windup (which is a fujoshi favourite series).

Interestingly, City Hunter is technically shounen!

I know that's not the point you're making, but this is a show about real life in the 60s and jazz music. It's not an adolescent power fantasy or harem show like most high school anime, and as such should hopefully have vaguely realistic characters in - certainly I'd find them much more "relatable" than vast musclebound fantasy men like Guts or sleazebags like Ryo Saeba.

seipherzero

Neo Member
Can't wait!

And! You guys are missing out... sax is great and all, but the keys are where it's at. A live jazz trio (typically piano, bass, and drums) is my musical heaven. There's so much "communication" between the musicians-- it's really beautiful.

I'd say piano is more eponymous to jazz than sax is.

Some well known jazz musicians and my fav. standards:
Bill Evans Trio- Autumn Leaves

Thelonious Monk - Round About Midnight

Anyways, Watanabe + Kanno + Jazz = YES!

Branduil

My reaction to this

attachment.php

The true savior has returned to us.

What the fuck is this? Looks like some yaoi high school boys emo drama with them crying in the rain and playing music instruments, don't tell me this the anime Watanabe is working on, I celebrated before clicking the link :(

edit:

*reads chapter 1 of manga*

Fucken highschool
Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

* rips Watanabe poster from wall*

*sets fire to Wantanbe shrine*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bOJT_HtUI

Hey, it's not his fault you can't accept the salvation of anime in whatever form it comes.

iavi

I had to check for this thread today to make sure that I wasn't in a perpetual dream or some shit yesterday. Wasn't dreaming. It's still here. Anime is saved.

Thanks for linking to this. I'm going to buy this album.

Np. Mouse on the Keys are a fantastic trio, and An Anxious Object is a phenomenal album. They haven't released anything since it, and released only one album prior: Sezession, which is also quite good.

Jex

I had to check for this thread today to make sure that I wasn't in a perpetual dream or some shit yesterday. Wasn't dreaming. It's still here. Anime is saved.

I thought this phrase had died, like Madhouse and all its talent. I was wrong.

Jex

the trailer looks generic as fuck but

Watanabe! Kanno! It cannot fail!

That's slightly harsh, considering that it's clearly more of a teaser than a trailer. I suppose it's more like a small clip designed to evoke some specific idea of what the show itself will feel like. It's quite clear that the direction (for example, some of the cinematography) is above-average.

Plus, you know, it has guys gently holding hands. As you do.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Np. Mouse on the Keys are a fantastic trio, and An Anxious Object is a phenomenal album. They haven't released anything since it, and released only one album prior: Sezession, which is also quite good.

Picked up both albums. Absolutely magnificent. Thank you so much for the link.

Branduil

Come on you guys, Watanabe making a series about bros and their relationship is nothing new. Isamu and Guld, Spike and Vicious, Mugen and Jin- it's pretty much all he does.

I think that, once you get past the really-tacky American smooth jazz movement in the '80s, when guys like Kenny G and David Sanborn defined the kitsch style of saxophone technique and lyricism that most people recognize today, there's just as much great sax material as there are for piano trios out there. The idea of slice-of-life with a piano trio is quite unique, and I like it, but there are tons of amazing saxophonists out there—an anazingly versatile family of instruments, I'd say.

—Knowing anything, more jazz from the '60s might pop up later in the show, just because vinyls from overseas would have reached Japan later on. So excited even if that isn't the case.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The director of Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo can do whatever the hell he wants, as long as it's not a moe loli harem show ;b

Clott

Just read the first chapter, I liked it. But they only have 1 available?

Does that mean that after the first episode it won't follow the manga anymore?

BluWacky

Just read the first chapter, I liked it. But they only have 1 available?

Does that mean that after the first episode it won't follow the manga anymore?

The manga is complete at, I believe, eight volumes in Japanese. So there is much more than one chapter.

Cwarrior

The director of Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo can do whatever the hell he wants, as long as it's not a moe loli harem show ;b

If Miyazaki,Isao Takahata,Watanabe and Satoshi Nishimura assembled and with their powers combined became Captain Animu to work on kimi no iru machi...I wouldn't give a shit.

A director can only do so much with what his working with.

Erigu

The manga is complete at, I believe, eight volumes in Japanese.
There are 8 volumes out, but the serialization ended quite recently (barely five days ago, in fact). I guess that means 9 volumes?
(some kind of spin-off / special arc will begin in two months though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom