• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Simpsons game by EA? Speculate. Countdown included.

Bo130

The countdown was originally supposed to end in 2h 10m, right? You think we'll get any kind of press release or anything, even though the site has been removed?

Borys

Banned
So arguably the biggest gaming company in the world that employs 100s of software programmers can't make a ****ing webpage? Instead of a Simpsons themed error page we get a ****ing default webserver error site?

Image1.jpg

Give me a ****ing break, who pays those clowns? Either you know IIS/ Apache/ HTML/ ASP etc. or you are a ****ing donkey not a webadmin.

Borys

Banned
Sean said:
uh read the very bottom of the error page... "See you tomorrow."

You go ahead and try that kind of feedback information in production environment in my office.

Mmmkay

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/thesimpsons/news.html?page=1&sid=6170311

The newly announced Simpsons game may be the 22nd title based on the long-running animated Fox sitcom, but in developer Electronic Arts' opinion, you might as well think of it as the first. Simpsons games have been appearing regularly since the ill-fated Bart Vs. the Space Mutants stunk up the old 8-bit Nintendo way back when, but EA is attempting to "reboot" the franchise with an ambitious new action game, since it acquired the Simpsons video game license recently. We got a very early look at the new game, due out this fall, at a party celebrating the landmark 400th episode of the television series on Fox's lot in LA today.

EA isn't quite giving up the entire premise of the new Simpsons game yet, but it did say that the entire family (save Maggie) will be playable throughout the game. (That's Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa, if you're keeping score.) Apparently, the Simpsons will realize just a few minutes into the storyline that they're actually trapped inside a video game, and they'll use that newfound freedom to envision new powers for themselves that they can access throughout the game's action levels. For instance, Homer will pick up calories throughout each level by picking up edible power-ups, and once his calorie meter is full, he'll be able to transform into the Homerball, a massive sphere of flab that can roll over and demolish almost any object or enemy. Later on in the demo level, we saw Homer pick up a chili pepper that turned him into a more powerful lava version of the Homerball. By contrast, Bart's special ability will be a transformation into Bartman, which will let him glide around slowly with his cape. Naturally, he'll also have a slingshot projectile attack to use for ranged offense when the need arises.

On the upside, the demo level did give us a good look at the visual style EA is using, which looks like it will very faithfully recreate the appearance of the hit TV series. The characters are using cel shading, of course, but EA is also implementing a technique that will essentially flatten the character models from whichever angle the camera is viewing them from, to attempt to recreate the 2D, hand-drawn look seen in the show. Speaking of capturing the show's essence, a number of the series' writers penned the script for the game--which will amount to nearly an hour of original cutscenes and dialogue, all voiced by the show's original actors. This will naturally be a family-rated game, but the Simpsons were said to be spouting a bit fouler dialogue in the game than you'd expect from the show. The Simpsons' creative authority also supervised the creation of plenty of new characters and locations for the game, which will clearly range far beyond the nebulous confines of Springfield itself.

EA is referring to the 16 levels in the game as "episodes," and each one will take place in a new environment with a unique title and storyline. Each of these episodes will feature two Simpsons family members, and you'll be able to switch between the two at any time. What's more, a second player can grab a controller at any time, hit the start button, and commandeer Simpson number two for some split-screen action. We'll hope to get some hands-on time with this one in the coming weeks to find out how well EA is living up to its obviously serious commitment to this hallowed franchise. The Simpsons' newest game is due out in late Fall of this year.

Photos from the event are on the EA Simpsons website:
http://www.ea.com/simpsons/news.jsp
gameplay1.jpg

gameplay2.jpg

gameplay3.jpg

That character switching makes me think of DK64, although I doubt they will go that far in the character-switching mechanic or at the least make so you can switch characters on the fly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
looks awesome. HD simpsons art is something worth anticipating. Confined level structure sucks though, I have low low hopes for this now (And i beat the Futurama game).

RBH

I'm loving the graphical style that they've done for this game.

Hopefully the gameplay shapes up as well.

Rlan

The one major problem with Simpson based cell shading is that the lines are too thin, but because the camera is further away from the character, any thicker and you'd be seeing a lot of big black blotches. You can't win either way.

Looks good considering at least.

adg1034

I've been saying for years that they need to switch to an all cel-shaded game. Good to see they finally did it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Graphics look wonderful; just hope it doesn't turn into a mediocre fetch quest. You could do some really creative things with the Simpsons in that environment.

Fatalah

I'm eagerly anticipating this game. I loved Hit&Run, and if the same team is doing this game, I have faith in this new game.

Ever since 'Virtual Springfield' on the PC, the Simpsons people have taken such an integral role in making their video games. I love the Springfield world, I can't wait to be apart of it :)

AWESOME PICS, even without E3 we're getting good announcements!

PS --- After Conker, I always wanted a videogame-spoof game to come out. I think we might have one here.

GameGamer

I'm not crazy about the description of the game so far. But a new, next-gen, Simpsons game is always welcome in my home.

Jasoco

Banned
Road Rage was one of my favorite games. Hit 'n' Run was great as well. But they screwed the graphics up so badly. At least they finally seem to have gotten it right. If only they had done these kinds of graphics on the Futurama game as well. (Especially shose horrible shitty FMV cut scenes that weren't even shaded right either.)

Now, go back and redo Road Rage with the correct cel shaded look and I will kiss your feet. :D

DMczaf

Asked if EA planned to include the classic The Simpsons (the arcade game) as some kind of unlockable bonus, the game's producer smiled, but refused to comment.

Please happen!

Top Bottom