• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Skyrim details from OXM

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, looks like there will be an influx of magazine previews according to Pete Hines on Twitter. They will also have brand new screens. Oh, and it's time for another Skyrim thread.

The first of those is in OXM,, details from hemiQ on Bethesda boards:

When the author was fighting a group of 3 bandits after defeating the first 2 the third tried to run away.

Necromancers can resurrect chickens and harvest their eggs.

He also states that while fighting a necromancer "he summons a khajiit warrior." He does not say whether he is resurrecting this warrior or if he actually conjured him?

When you level up you get 10 points to add to health, magicka, or stamina.

Stolen horses run away.

Spriggans can heal themselves after you think they are dead (fetal position).

A town guard stops the player at a gate of a town and makes him pay for the horse he stole earlier.

Bandits roll a boulder at the player from a bridge.

Descriptions of the screens:

1. The first is of a dragon in flight shooting flames at the player. The player is shooting an arrow at the dragon. The article points out the scale of the dragon saying that it dwarfs the buildings that are underneath the dragon.

2. Shows the player using alchemy equipment from the 3rd person perspective. in the device is a green liquid and gas. The player is hunched over a mortar and pestal. He is wearing a blue/purple robe and a greyish hood which drapes over his shoulders and back a bit.

3. The third is of a female player in the horned helmet and hide(?) armor. She is in a camp of some sort looks like it has a watch tower made of logs.

4. Next is a small screen shot of the lockpicking mini game. looks like a skyrim themed version of the fallout lockpick game (not new).

5. We see what looks like the player with a companion in a partially flooded dungeon, they are approaching a skeleton that is shackled to a post with water pouring down over him.

6. Shows a guard with a torch and a full face helmet.

7. Shows a player dual casting a fire spell in a robe and hood.

8. Shows an awesome shot of the night sky with the northern lights.

9. Player shooting a bear with an enchanted glowing bow (this looks really cool).

10. Giant Mudcrab, looks freaking huge.

11. A really good looking female npc.

MrBig

Lakitu said:
Oh, and it's time for another Skyrim thread.
Cool info, but I really wish people would stop making new threads.
timetokill said:
New threads for new news, right?
That shouldn't apply this close to release. If it did there would be 20 battlefield threads in the last week. There has been a constant flow of skyrim info. I'm fine with new threads as long as there is some major news, not new topics for minimal releases like this that have been coming out for a while now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Grimm Fandango said:
I had to look up what a Spriggan is. I don't remember them at all from Oblivion. Were they only in DLC or something?

They're in Oblivion, but I think they're one of the species that only appear briefly thanks to the level scaling, like those weird lobstermen.

They were also in Morrowind's Blood Moon expansion.

Snuggler said:
They're in Oblivion, but I think they're one of the species that only appear briefly thanks to the level scaling, like those weird lobstermen.

They were also in Morrowind's Blood Moon expansion.
I don't know, I was encountering Spriggs 'til the end of the game, lv. 30 or so. They like to appear in caves alongside other monsters, typically Will-o-the-Wisps. Wonder if they still summon bears...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Deified Data said:
I don't know, I was encountering Spriggs 'til the end of the game, lv. 30 or so. They like to appear in caves alongside other monsters, typically Will-o-the-Wisps. Wonder if they still summon bears...

Yeah, it's been a few years so my memory is fuzzy.

wrowa said:
I really wish people would stop editing their posts to reply to a post that was written afterwards. The fuck? No one who has already answered to a thread goes back and reads the older posts. It's annoying, there's no reason not to hit the reply button again.

Agreed.

wrowa

MrBig said:
Cool info, but I really wish people would stop making new threads.

That shouldn't apply this close to release. If it did there would be 20 battlefield threads in the last week. There has been a constant flow of skyrim info. I'm fine with new threads as long as there is some major news, not new topics for minimal releases like this that have been coming out for a while now.
I really wish people would stop editing their posts to reply to a post that was written afterwards. The fuck? No one who has already answered to a thread goes back and reads the older posts. It's annoying, there's no reason not to hit the reply button again.

Derrick01

Banned
A lot of the stuff in that first box was in Oblivion too, nothing really that special here.

Though I guess it's nice to hear about things they aren't taking out for once.

Ooccoo

A town guard stops the player at a gate of a town and makes him pay for the horse he stole earlier.

NPH-NOOO.gif

Lakitu

st5fu
Some low-quality pictures have leaked online.

A little detail, they apparently stumbled on a Temple dedicated to Talos. And there will be nine of these shrines throughout the world.

MrBig said:
You steal a horse, owner reports it missing, you get seen on the horse and stopped?
You steal a horse in the middle of the night with no witnesses and ride as fast as you can to the city on the other side of the map. You are greeted at the city gates by "Stop right there you criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch!"

MrBig

darkpaladinmfc said:
You steal a horse in the middle of the night with no witnesses and ride as fast as you can to the city on the other side of the map. You are greeted at the city gates by "Stop right there you criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch!"
I guess you haven't been following this, crimes are regionally separated.

Woorloog

Banned
Necromancers can resurrect chickens and harvest their eggs.
So... I harvest chicken eggs by killing a chicken and then looting the egg? And then, if i resurrect the chicken, the egg is, uh, resurrected as well and i can loot it again if i kill the chicken again?
And we're now talking about resurrecting, not reanimating them? Because i absolutely want an army of reanimated zombie chickens.

Kuran

Banned
The town guard stuff is horrible... it takes all the fun out of being evil/thieving if you are ALWAYS punished for your crimes.

Wallach

Kenak said:
How do they know who you are or what the thief even looked like?

That sort of depends on whether the dude in question stole the horse without getting seen, or literally jumped on the horse and booked it out of town, right? For all we know those guards could have chased his ass out of town to begin with. There's no context in the information to make any worthwhile assumptions.

Grinchy

Banned
MrBig said:
You steal a horse, owner reports it missing, you get seen on the horse and stopped?
I guess after the owner fills out the paperwork in his city, those city guards call the other city guards on the phone and let them all know to look out for the stolen horse. That way every guard knows to look out for it immediately. Makes sense.

I think I am just sensitive to this b/c of the "Stop right there, lawbreaker!" routine from Oblivion.

bengraven

The horse thing doesn't bother me. I kind of like it. So instead of having to go to jail or whatever, you just pay for the thing you stole and move on.

And this is talking about you getting CAUGHT with a stolen horse and running off.

I just wish they didn't have psychic guards, at all. That really made me not want to be a thief, even though I initially wanted to try one. Oh well *sigh*.....

NBtoaster

darkpaladinmfc said:

In Oblivion if no one saw you steal items you didn't get stopped by the guards. The op doesn't say whether the player was seen stealing, most likely they were.

Yo Gotti

Banned
You know, the psychic guards wouldn't be so bad if they actually made it possible to stealth around and avoid guards, or persuade/pay them off no matter how dirty the crime, but somehow guards also have eagle-like vision and hearing and find you the second you land in town.

We're way too far into this shit for there to be illusion breaking crap like this in the game, Bethesda needs to get on the ball with these things.

NBtoaster

Grimm Fandango said:
It's probably going to be like Fallout 3 in regards to seeing a crime. Like the "hidden" or "detected" portion on the HUD.

Oblivion had that. Fallout 3 just added red text for items owned by others.

Wanace

They should give you an option to lie to guards to get out of crimes.

"I swear officer, I bought this horse legally from a guy selling them out of the back of his El Dorado!"

Grinchy said:
I guess after the owner fills out the paperwork in his city, those city guards call the other city guards on the phone and let them all know to look out for the stolen horse. That way every guard knows to look out for it immediately. Makes sense.

I think I am just sensitive to this b/c of the "Stop right there, lawbreaker!" routine from Oblivion.

I'm sure the town folk just report the crime via the town guards' twitter feed.

townfolk said:
@townsguard my horse was stolen! #DragonBornIsAJerk

Much faster.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Cryptozoologist said:
They should give you an option to lie to guards to get out of crimes.

"I swear officer, I bought this horse legally from a guy selling them out of the back of his El Dorado!"

That's actually a really good idea and it makes no sense that the persuasion skill isn't implemented here. The skill would obviously be much more useful if you can talk yourself out of being jailed.

Amir0x

Banned
Sounds pretty good so far. I think they get a lot of the problems Oblivion had...

The Quiet Man said:
I would do this, but I hate egg wights.

Haha. Ok, finally a pun that was worth the effort hehe

Top Bottom