• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New small Toyota hyrbid . . . 'inspired by 8-bit videogames'

Well . . . I guess it does look like Pac-man.

toyota-ft-ch-01-630.jpg

DETROIT – Toyota unveiled a new hybrid concept car that is smaller than the Prius and geared toward younger buyers, part of the company's hybrid and alternative-fuel lineup, which it is expanding over the next several years.

The Japanese automaker showed off the FT-CH compact at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on Monday, and it confirmed it plans to expand the Prius brand from a single vehicle to a family of hybrids.

The FT-CH could be sold under the Prius name, Toyota said.

The plan to broaden the Prius brand is a sign of its success and loyalty among buyers. The Prius, which launched in the U.S. in 2000, has long been the nation's top-selling hybrid and was the best-selling vehicle overall in Japan last year.

"The strategy is still taking shape and obviously it will require additional models to qualify as a family," said Jim Lentz, president of Toyota Motor Sales USA, a division of Toyota Motor Corp.

Hybrids run on batteries and gasoline.

Toyota said the two-door FT-CH, 22 inches shorter than the Prius, is lighter and more fuel efficient and its styling, inspired by 8-bit video games popular during the 1980s, is intended to appeal to younger buyers.

The FT-CH, as a concept vehicle, has no official sales or production schedule.

The four-seat concept was designed by Toyota's European Design and Development center in Nice, France with an 8-bit mentality. That's not a put-down. It's actually the style that designers were going for with the FT-CH, and the press conference included references to Contra, Megaman and Super Mario Brothers.
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/11/detroit-2010-toyota-ft-ch-concept-is-the-priuses-younger-cheap/

:lol

That's what the kids are into these days . . . 8-bit videogames.

Deku

Banned
speculawyer said:

To address your point:

Most people in their 20s, who would be buying a subcompact would have grown up with 8-bit videogames.

Most 'kids' these days would still be 5-10 years away from buying their own car. So there's a few years yet before we get cars with giant machine gun mounts.

That said, I need to see more on this car to see the connection to 8-bit games.

I hate that color but otherwise I would drive it. I like Toyota and I want to get a hrbrid.

speculawyer said:
Kids aren't going to buy a new hybrid.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Deku said:
To address your point:

Most people in their 20s, who would be buying a subcompact would have grown up with 8-bit videogames.

Most 'kids' these days would still be 5-10 years away from buying their own car. So there's a few years yet before we get cars with giant machine gun mounts.

That said, I need to see more on this car to see the connection to 8-bit games.

Dawwwwwww :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Looking at this car, it looks nothing like 8-bit video games.

That being said, given the right price (and color) I would buy this.

baultista

Banned
Square pixel steering wheel or bust.

Anyways, that paint job looks like something out of one of those tuner racing videogames... it's really nice to look at, but it's the kind of thing you'd be ashamed to be seen stepping into or out of.

painey

pontiac_matiz.jpg

One of these was driving in front of me today (twat of a driver too) and I thought "what a boxy looking p.o.s"

Ranger X

Good God.

How about simply making good looking hybrid or electric cars? Maybe people would actually buy them.
Why is that all new tech and bio cars need wierd looks?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Only thing that immediately comes to mind is Space Invaders, when you look at the windshield, headlamps, and black elements of the hood as one shape.

space-invaders.jpg

Mar

I really like the look of this thing. I'd certainly consider it when buying my next car if they release it.

Joei

It's an interesting car I guess. Those headlights look kind of funky though and are placed in a very odd spot. Same thing with the tail lights too. Looks different, that's for sure.

Michan

The shape is really interesting. I love how they've done the stylised windscreen/drivers windows. The hub caps are nice, too.

But that colour looks like vomit.

eso76

came here expecting moon buggy's buggy or bump'n'jump car. or i don't know, something like the one in city connection.
city-connection.jpg

There's nothing 8 bit-ish about this car. But i do find it attractive, and the colour is perfect. Black, silver or white would defeat the purpose, in fact.

Gino

It looks crazy but I like the Idea of using light weight seats and other things to improve efficiency and reduce cost.

Top Bottom