• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 2017 and Sonic Mania (release date?) info March 16

jax

Banned
C4hlYMDUMAEonLT.jpg

Just announced for SXSW

Finally we'll get to see more of this exciting title.

I'm guessing it'll be a Sonic Adventure / Generations hybrid.

Hoping for a Chao Garden. (Chao Garden on Switch? Yes pls)

tumblr_oar5jszX8Z1vxlawzo7_400.gif

Steal my emeralds and paint my arms blue if old.

Tripon

It'll be another Sonic Boom game. The TV series is still popular, so you might as well throw another game at it.

I'm surprised we've seen so little of the Sonic 2017 project. Looking forward to it and seeing how it definitely won't be as good as Mania.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm hoping for no Chao Garden. Also, I don't see where you take any Sonic Adventure idea from.

Did Sonic Team have anything to do with Sonic Boom? My limited research shows their last game was Sonic Lost World and the Boom games were done by Big Red Button and Sanzaru Games.

jax

Banned
I'm hoping for no Chao Garden. Also, I don't see where you take any Sonic Adventure idea from.
No Chao Garden?! You monster!

And I get an Adventure vibe from the trailer. Dunno why. They were just showing Adventure a lot of love at the party, and
the real
SA3 has been an anticipated Sonic title.

jax

Banned
Did Sonic Team have anything to do with Sonic Boom? My limited research shows their last game was Sonic Lost World and the Boom games were done by Big Red Button and Sanzaru Games.
None. Nada. Zilch.

They've been working their asses off on 2017 for like 7 years.

Mr Swine

Banned
Generation 2 in gameplay. Obviously the worlds aren't going to be a celebration of Sonia's lifespan.

Could be the aftermath of Generations when Classic Eggman returns to his time and alters the past (Sonic Mania related to this?). probably Eggman Nega is in this one since he wants destruction and not take over the planet

Man hyped for this!

RRockman

Banned

No. That's part of the reason why both weren't that great/ garbo tier.

I'd like a hub area that's more expanded than generations. if they keep the boost type of gameplay and add further refining then I have no doubt this game will be fantastic. Sega really shouldn't be trying to overtly fix what isn't broken.

Tizoc

It'll be another Sonic Boom game. The TV series is still popular, so you might as well throw another game at it.
Sonic boom 3ds 2 was a good game imo
I dont mind another if it takes what made that game good and expanfe on it

jax

Banned
Well I enjoyed most of their recent games then. I'm excited to see their big new game especially since it isn't a rushed mess like 06
Same. Generations was great and took 4.5 years to churn out. 2017 has even more time in the oven, and has both sides of the Sonic Team coin working on it.. I think it's safe to say it's shaping up to be a really nice Sonic game. But we'll see soon enough.

Excited for the 2017 project more than mania if I'm honest.
I feel this way too, with the acknowledgment that Mania will likely be the far superior game.

I'm really jazzed about Taxman getting to make his own Sonic game, but I have full confidence in it. The mystery of a Sonic Team game going in either direction - "Maybe this one will actually be good" or "How will they screw if up this time?" - is far more interesting.

No Chao Garden?! You monster!

And I get an Adventure vibe from the trailer. Dunno why. They were just showing Adventure a lot of love at the party, and
the real
SA3
has been an anticipated Sonic title.
Everyone knows that the real SA3 was
Unleashed

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
HYPE!

Hoping the Sonic Mania release date isn't far away. So excited for that game. Day 1 on Switch.

I remain cautious on the mainline game. If it's basically just another Generations type game in gameplay then.....meh. I'm sure that would be good but that doesn't excite me. I want something new and exciting for 3D Sonic. Boost formula is played out and frankly considering we're getting an actual full classic Sonic game this year, more watered down Generations style classic Sonic gameplay doesn't interest me at all.

NotLiquid

None. Nada. Zilch.

They've been working their asses off on 2017 for like 7 years.

Sonic Generations came out in 2011. More importantly though, Sonic Team's internal dev structure isn't exactly fully documented and fixed, as they usually tend to be really flexible (particularly with Generations where there was plenty of overlap between Unleashed/Colors devs).

It's somewhat unrealistic to assume that Sonic 2017 is a game they've worked on non-stop for 6 years since most likely a good deal of the people working on 2017 by now have likely worked on Lost World and Runners in the intervening time.

jax

Banned
I feel this way too, with the acknowledgment that Mania will likely be the far superior game.

I'm really jazzed about Taxman getting to make his own Sonic game, but I have full confidence in it. The mystery of a Sonic Team game going in either direction - "Maybe this one will actually be good" or "How will they screw if up this time?" - is far more interesting.
Yeah. Mania seems to be the safer of the two games, it'll be hard to screw that one up. 2017 on the other hand could go either way..

but I'm leaning on it being a great game, as it's been in development forever, and has to promote the $248 million dollar motion picture that's currently in production.

Basically. They were smart with how they announced both. But the the thought of a brand new sonic gets me alil more excited to see what they do

Nice! And on my birthday too! I personally can't wait for Mania and any kind of news about Project 2017 are welcome.

I'm totally on the hype train.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yep. By the director of Deadpool.

That article says nothing about a $248m budget. I sincerely doubt it's that high as the film would be second only to Tangled as the animated film with the highest-ever budget, and more to the point it'd be Sony Pictures Animation's most expensive film by a significant margin, eclipsing The Smurfs by $138m and the two Smurf films combined by $33m.

jax

Banned
That article says nothing about a $248m budget. I sincerely doubt it's that high as the film would be second only to Tangled as the animated film with the highest-ever budget, and more to the point it'd be Sony Pictures Animation's most expensive film by a significant margin, eclipsing The Smurfs by $138m and the two Smurf films combined by $33m.

I remember seeing the budget somewhere.. but that does seem high. Regardless, I'm sure they're pouring more money into it than the Smurf movies, since Sonic is way more popular and a more global brand.

I can't think of a lot of AAA games that go dark for that long with barely a mention. It certainly has been SEGA's MO up to this point.
Almost Sony's entire e3 besides some lil tweets, some of Microsoft games,Zelda at one point,RD2 will follow until probably summer. Certainly isn't a Sega thing at all

Top Bottom