• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 30th Anniversary details leaked by credible Nintendo leaker Zippo

Kholinar

Banned

• The rest of the current voice cast will be following Roger Craig Smith (Sonic), Cindy Robinson (Amy), and Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Tails) on their departures.

• Warren Graff and Ken Pontac will no longer be writing for the games. (Already semi-confirmed through LinkedIn and a recent interview with Ken Pontac.)

• SEGA of America is in charge of the series - management done by a branch known as the 'Sonic Pillar' in Irvine, California. They're calling the shots when it comes to games, merch, social media, etc. SOJ is well aware of how much more popular the franchise is in the west, so they've been entrusted with its care. Development still being done by Sonic Team Japan.

• The 30th Anniversary is being described as a new "era" for Sonic.

• Modern Sonic will be the focus for the franchise going forward in both 2D and 3D games. Mania was apparently a one-off thing (with Classic Sonic being described as "old hat"), and fans of the classic era should look to fangames for further installments, such as Sonic Mania Megamix, Sonic Galactic, Sonic Roboblast 2, Sonic 2 HD, etc.

• There will be a split in both 2D and 3D gameplay; 2D will only exist in exclusively 2D games, and 3D games will be exclusively 3D from this point forward.

• A new Sonic collection is rumored to come out in June. Will include a majority of classic games and also games that haven't been in circulation for years. Won't include Sonic 3.

• Status of new Mario&Sonic Olympics game is tentative at the moment due to the pandemic and controversy surrounding China.

• New Modern Sonic 2D game. Possibly developed by Dimps.

• Next 3D Sonic game will:
    -Not feature boost
    -Full 3D game
    -Features return of spindash in 3D and character upgrades
    -More playable characters rather than solely Sonic
    -First game conceptualized by the 'Sonic Pillar' in the US.
    -Entirely new team at Sonic Team, featuring a bunch of new hires post-Forces.
    -Cross-gen game
    -Holiday 2021, although might get delayed to 2022 if quality standards aren't met. SEGA wants to get this one right.
    -No tie-in with the movie franchise.

• Reveals should start rolling out from the next few weeks to the end of March, although an announcement might come in a couple of days.

• More guest appearances in other games, similar to Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I like what I'm hearing. Can we get a port of this:
The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Kholinar

Banned
A potential goodie for us Adventure fans in regards to the casting.

Ristifer

Hope most of this is untrue. No sequel or successor to Mania is just lame. Classic Sonic is “old hat” and yet it still brought mammoth sales and critical acclaim? Okay.

Sounds like they haven’t learned a thing. Other than focusing on no boost, which should’ve been a thing years ago. The rest is the classic garbage we’ve come to expect. And who the hell wants another Sonic collection without 3? That’s always the question people ask when these things come out. They want 3.

So, another shitty Modern Sonic game incoming. Oh, and a shitty Dimps Modern Sonic game also incoming. :/

Kholinar

Banned
Hope most of this is untrue. No sequel or successor to Mania is just lame. Classic Sonic is “old hat” and yet it still brought mammoth sales and critical acclaim? Okay.

Sounds like they haven’t learned a thing. Other than focusing on no boost, which should’ve been a thing years ago. The rest is the classic garbage we’ve come to expect. And who the hell wants another Sonic collection without 3? That’s always the question people ask when these things come out. They want 3.

So, another shitty Modern Sonic game incoming. Oh, and a shitty Dimps Modern Sonic game also incoming. :/
If you want more Classic Sonic, go boot up some mods. There are tons - and I do mean TONS - of classic fangames that will scratch that itch for you. Classic Sonic has been appearing in the mainline games much to the detriment of them, so a shift in focus from that era is great news. There will still be 2D Sonic games, but under Modern Sonic.

Also, if you want Sonic 3, go play Sonic 3 AIR. It's the de-facto standard port for PC, and probably better than what SEGA might bury in a collection.

Dimps making it wasn't a part of the leak. It was just Zippo's personal hunch.

Astral Dog

Everything sounds promising, i couldn't stand Tails or Amy Voices anymore, and im so glad to hear those awful writters won't be working on Sonic games anymore!

The classic look i can leave or take, honestly Sonic's design was the last thing that made the modern 3d games awful and that gimmick got a little old after Generations.

Im cautiously optimistic, the series really needs a good shake up 🤞

Last edited:

MAtgS

• SEGA of America is in charge of the series - management done by a branch known as the 'Sonic Pillar' in Irvine, California. They're calling the shots when it comes to games, merch, social media, etc. SOJ is well aware of how much more popular the franchise is in the west, so they've been entrusted with its care. Development still being done by Sonic Team Japan.
This right here is the hard part to believe, with all the bullshit that went on between the 2 branches in the past & SoJ always favoring their version of Sonic (IE Eggman instead of Robotnik, Earth instead of Mobius) when Sonic was more popular in the states & Eurpoe back then as well? They only just now after 3 decades realized this?

Ristifer

If you want more Classic Sonic, go boot up some mods. There are tons - and I do mean TONS - of classic fangames that will scratch that itch for you. Classic Sonic has been appearing in the mainline games much to the detriment of them, so a shift in focus from that era is great news. There will still be 2D Sonic games, but under Modern Sonic.

Also, if you want Sonic 3, go play Sonic 3 AIR. It's the de-facto standard port for PC, and probably better than what SEGA might bury in a collection.

Dimps making it wasn't a part of the leak. It was just Zippo's personal hunch.
Classic Sonic’s appearance in modern games is the least offending part of the modern games. I know there are plenty of fan games. Everyone makes fan games. And I want a good Modern Sonic game. But I’m not going to give them the benefit of the doubt because they’ve decided to create a “new era” of Sonic. They spew this crap all the time.

And quite honestly, this is the 30th anniversary of Sonic, and moving on to Modern Sonic is their focus? They’ve had several opportunities to do this. Why try it again now? On the 30th anniversary? They could’ve done this anytime.

And I’ve played AIR. Great stuff. But the general fan will still want 3 in a collection. By your logic, you wouldn’t need to release anything at all, as people make Modern Sonic fan games and can download emulators. All these rumours show is that Sega is totally tone deaf. The only saving grace is if Dimps is kept as far away from Sonic as possible.

Kholinar

Banned
Classic Sonic’s appearance in modern games is the least offending part of the modern games. I know there are plenty of fan games. Everyone makes fan games. And I want a good Modern Sonic game. But I’m not going to give them the benefit of the doubt because they’ve decided to create a “new era” of Sonic. They spew this crap all the time.

And quite honestly, this is the 30th anniversary of Sonic, and moving on to Modern Sonic is their focus? They’ve had several opportunities to do this. Why try it again now? On the 30th anniversary? They could’ve done this anytime.

And I’ve played AIR. Great stuff. But the general fan will still want 3 in a collection. By your logic, you wouldn’t need to release anything at all, as people make Modern Sonic fan games and can download emulators. All these rumours show is that Sega is totally tone deaf. The only saving grace is if Dimps is kept as far away from Sonic as possible.
Classic's appearance in Forces was an obvious shoe-horn; it also introduced a lot more 2D gameplay despite Modern Sonic already competing for 3D sections with 2D as well. Full 3D Sonic is what everyone has wanted for years, and including Classic in the mainline titles actively opposes that request. And the thing is, Mania was made by a fan. Sure, he was assisted by a team, but a fan no less. That wordlessly speaks to the talent hovering around in the fangame space. I feel like all the retro fanboys need to try out the multitude of mods that already exist instead of stepping on the toes of Modern fans who have been waiting for a good 3D game for a decade. More, depending on who you ask, even.

Modern Sonic is the focus because it is, quite honestly, the future of the franchise. More merchandise opportunities, entertainment opportunities (like the new movie and upcoming TV series), spinoffs, comics, etc. There's only so much you can do with mute protagonists on a 2D plane. And the reason for the sudden focus now is because they're shifting away from the incessant nostalgia pandering they've been doing for the past decade.

I do want Sonic 3 to be included, also, but it isn't in such massive demand like it was pre-AIR. Even absolute potato PCs can run AIR just fine and for free. If they add it, well met, but if they don't, it's not THAT big of a loss. And I don't think SEGA is necessarily tone-deaf; if you look at Sonic tubers and reddit, we're all praising these changes.

stickkidsam

A potential goodie for us Adventure fans in regards to the casting.

I WILL SHIT CHILI DOGS AND CHEESE IF THEY BRING THAT BEAUTIFUL MAN BACK!!

SEGA.

PLEASE!!!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'd love for the new 3d game to be great. Especially if they can nail an awesome atmosphere and let me explore that world as Sonic.

I will always love classic era sonic. I don't see any reason to do away with him completely.

Ristifer

Classic's appearance in Forces was an obvious shoe-horn; it also introduced a lot more 2D gameplay despite Modern Sonic already competing for 3D sections with 2D as well. Full 3D Sonic is what everyone has wanted for years, and including Classic in the mainline titles actively opposes that request. And the thing is, Mania was made by a fan. Sure, he was assisted by a team, but a fan no less. That wordlessly speaks to the talent hovering around in the fangame space. I feel like all the retro fanboys need to try out the multitude of mods that already exist instead of stepping on the toes of Modern fans who have been waiting for a good 3D game for a decade. More, depending on who you ask, even.

Modern Sonic is the focus because it is, quite honestly, the future of the franchise. More merchandise opportunities, entertainment opportunities (like the new movie and upcoming TV series), spinoffs, comics, etc. There's only so much you can do with mute protagonists on a 2D plane. And the reason for the sudden focus now is because they're shifting away from the incessant nostalgia pandering they've been doing for the past decade.

I do want Sonic 3 to be included, also, but it isn't in such massive demand like it was pre-AIR. Even absolute potato PCs can run AIR just fine and for free. If they add it, well met, but if they don't, it's not THAT big of a loss. And I don't think SEGA is necessarily tone-deaf; if you look at Sonic tubers and reddit, we're all praising these changes.
And I do want a good Modern Sonic game. But these changes don’t mean a thing until they deliver. Classic Sonic’s appearance was shoe-horned, but Modern Sonic games are plagued with issues that go far beyond a Classic Sonic appearance.

Every rumour here is stuff Sega has been trying for years, minus the no boost. Multiple characters playable, new era, we’ve heard all this crap so many times. Whether it’s Classic Sonic appearing or one of the other sideshow characters Sega has to shoe-horn into a Modern Sonic title, the result has been mediocrity for years. I’m happy for Sonic youtubers, but quite frankly, making some new era where they finally leave Classic-era behind is only worthwhile if they can actually deliver on Modern Sonic gameplay, which is something they have struggled with for two decades. Classic Sonic’s appearance has had nothing to do with their inability to refine the gameplay to make it something infinitely enjoyable.

Maybe if the rumour said “less cringe dialogue between characters” I could finally get excited about Modern Sonic in that regard. But I’m sure that’ll be rammed down our throats again for the umpteenth time.

belmarduk

Despite nearly everyone's predictions, the Sonic movie was a huge success. I wonder if any of this will transfer to success of any upcoming Sonic games... but they would probably have to be good.. unfortunately, the last few Sonic games I've played were seriously lacking.

Feels like the Sonic series has been facing an identity crisis and stuck in development hell for the past decade or so.

In my opinion, while recent products may not be technical disasters like 2006, they feel mostly soulless from a story, character, and arguably gameplay perspective.

More playable characters sounds nice but I really hope they stop writing them as paper-thin caricatures.

Hoping that having new writers means they will actually try to be more ambitious with their storytelling and character development.

SCB3

Modern Sonic will be the focus for the franchise going forward in both 2D and 3D games. Mania was apparently a one-off thing (with Classic Sonic being described as "old hat"), and fans of the classic era should look to fangames for further installments, such as Sonic Mania Megamix, Sonic Galactic, Sonic Roboblast 2, Sonic 2 HD, etc.

So after a major success that brought Sonic back to relevance, fuck it? This sounds so petty

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer. But I’m not holding my breath for anything great from Sonic tbh.
At this stage I don’t even give a shit anymore about classic versus modern, 2D versus 3D, boost versus no boost. Honestly. I just want a fucking great Sonic game that just plays really well and has lots if interesting ideas and top notch level design.

Is that too much to ask? It probably is tbf. Because Sega, when it comes to Sonic, are a mess.

Hudo

I wonder what kinda power struggle went down internally that the franchise ended up changing hands to Sega USA.

Alan Wake

At least they're not doing that "back to the roots" mantra again. I have very little hope for a good 3D Sonic at this point.

Hudo

I just want to point out that Zippo is as credible as any other LARPer on Twitter. Dude got multiple things wrong in the past and got away with the usual "well, plans change." spiel. So take all of this with the biggest grain of salt imaginable.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, I just hope it will be good.

ne1butu

How are we in 2021 and they still cannot release a remastered Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It’s the magnum opus of sonic for gods sake.

As a long 2D Sonic fan (man, the moment I saw Green Hill as a kid, heard that music, saw Sonic and everything moving on screen really impressed me), there's nothing I want here, like at all.
No Sonic & Knuckles with Dreams Come True for the soundtrack, no Sonic & Knuckles 2, no Sonic CD 2, no Sonic Advanced 4, no Mania 2, no Chronicles 2.

Enjoy your 3D shit kids.
It'll be fun to watch, for shure, and how Sonic is going to fall one more time.
So what's going to be wrong this time? Do you think it's going to be like Sonic Boom or more like The Lost world (half game is great, timer is too short, too hard, you get lost in levels) or ultra shit like Colors (shure it was beautiful but boring as hell)? Because we all know, and let's face it, it's going to be shit.

Oh and there's a story now! And it's going to be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! Yeeaaahhh! Despite SEGA, like in 06? More kisses SEGA, do it! ;-)
And MF Amy! yeaaaaah! She's trash and no ones want to play her. What's next, Big the cat? I'm already out.
If it's a reboot, there need to either be Madonna or Lady Gaga, because, we all know the story. Lady Gaga could be see a younger version of Madonna.

And at the end, they call it: Sonic, game over yeaahhh!

jackson_pop_corn.gif

Last edited:

Miles708

• Modern Sonic will be the focus for the franchise going forward in both 2D and 3D games. Mania was apparently a one-off thing (with Classic Sonic being described as "old hat"), and fans of the classic era should look to fangames for further installments, such as Sonic Mania Megamix, Sonic Galactic, Sonic Roboblast 2, Sonic 2 HD, etc.

• There will be a split in both 2D and 3D gameplay; 2D will only exist in exclusively 2D games, and 3D games will be exclusively 3D from this point forward.

• Next 3D Sonic game will:
    -Not feature boost
    -Full 3D game
    -Features return of spindash in 3D and character upgrades

dean winchester yes GIF

UnNamed

Banned
Sonic need a fresh start with new mechanics, since is clear the direction of the last 10 years of games was wrong. Something like what Nintendo did with Metroid... I'm not hinting at a Sonic FPS, of course. The new good ideas come from indie developers, lately see Sonic Mania and Sonic Robo Blast. Just take one of those ideas and develop it further.

Miles708

Read the whole article. Assuming there's truth behind, I too would be cautiously optimistic.
I think they're making the correct decisions to make the franchise go forward.

In short: they feel Rush gameplay is abused, that 2D is abused, and fans are making a constellation of 2D games anyway, AND Dimps (maybe) is making an official 2D game anyway, so they'll focus on the real one.

From the outside, they all sound like sensible decisions.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Why does Sega seem to have such a hate boner for Mania? It's obvious they can't make a great 3D Sonic(I hope they do someday), so why not go with proven success?

Kholinar

Banned
As a long 2D Sonic fan (man, the moment I saw Green Hill as a kid, heard that music, saw Sonic and everything moving on screen really impressed me), there's nothing I want here, like at all.
No Sonic & Knuckles with Dreams Come True for the soundtrack, no Sonic & Knuckles 2, no Sonic CD 2, no Sonic Advanced 4, no Mania 2, no Chronicles 2.

Enjoy your 3D shit kids.
It'll be fun to watch, for shure, and how Sonic is going to fall one more time.
So what's going to be wrong this time? Do you think it's going to be like Sonic Boom or more like The Lost world (half game is great, timer is too short, too hard, you get lost in levels) or ultra shit like Colors (shure it was beautiful but boring as hell)? Because we all know, and let's face it, it's going to be shit.

Oh and there's a story now! And it's going to be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! Yeeaaahhh! Despite SEGA, like in 06? More kisses SEGA, do it! ;-)
And MF Amy! yeaaaaah! She's trash and no ones want to play her. What's next, Big the cat? I'm already out.
If it's a reboot, there need to either be Madonna or Lady Gaga, because, we all know the story. Lady Gaga could be see a younger version of Madonna.

And at the end, they call it: Sonic, game over yeaahhh!

jackson_pop_corn.gif
You’re not a Sonic fan, my guy. It’s been fucking 25 years since the last 2D Sonic game from SEGA. The future of the franchise doesn’t lie with a fucking sprite games made by some fan. And you do realise the writing staff for Sonic games has been shifted twice since 06, right? Jesus, you’re edgy.

Last edited:

cireza

I don't want any of this. What's the point of asking for the exact same thing we already have ? Play the existing games, they are exactly what you want.

A new 3D game by Sonic Team, with several playable characters and some exploration, that reminds us of the Adventure games.
A new 2D game by Dimps that builds on the strengths of the three DS games and Generations on 3DS (which I find much more fun than the 3D game). SEGA must not force them into going "classic" Sonic, that's not their style anyway.

I would love this.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
At this point I'd rather they outsource it to a decent company, if it really is a new team, then there's hope it might not be terrible this time, if it is bad then they should never be allowed to make a Sonic game again imo.

I hate lanky modern Sonic, hopefully the new design isn't awful, but I'm not full of hope. It better be a proper open world Sonic game or it's another pass from me, not sure why they haven't pulled that off by now as enough power has been available for that for years now.

They better be making a Sonic Mania 2, it wouldn't surprise me if they are that clueless and out of touch. I'd rather just play as Sonic tbh, they need to focus on getting that right first before branching out, they run before they can walk...

I hope Irvine California isn't as woke and insane as Los Angeles and San Francisco, if so then I expect the story to be utter garbage, nothing new there I suppose, but at least Japanese garbage doesn't tend to be of the woke kind, no intersectional feminism etc.

Fake

At this point I start to suspect Sonic Team was trying to kill Sonic for all those years. What a shitshow.

• A new Sonic collection is rumored to come out in June. Will include a majority of classic games and also games that haven't been in circulation for years. Won't include Sonic 3.

ded

Last edited:
Top Bottom