Hey all. Hope everyone reading this has had a great first month of the year. So, before we begin, let me get the reason I made this blog i...
- The rest of the current voice cast will be following Roger Craig Smith (Sonic), Cindy Robinson (Amy), and Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Tails) on their departures.
- Warren Graff and Ken Pontac will no longer be writing for the games. (Already semi-confirmed through LinkedIn and a recent interview with Ken Pontac.)
- SEGA of America is in charge of the series - management done by a branch known as the 'Sonic Pillar' in Irvine, California. They're calling the shots when it comes to games, merch, social media, etc. SOJ is well aware of how much more popular the franchise is in the west, so they've been entrusted with its care. Development still being done by Sonic Team Japan.
- The 30th Anniversary is being described as a new "era" for Sonic.
- Modern Sonic will be the focus for the franchise going forward in both 2D and 3D games. Mania was apparently a one-off thing (with Classic Sonic being described as "old hat"), and fans of the classic era should look to fangames for further installments, such as Sonic Mania Megamix, Sonic Galactic, Sonic Roboblast 2, Sonic 2 HD, etc.
- There will be a split in both 2D and 3D gameplay; 2D will only exist in exclusively 2D games, and 3D games will be exclusively 3D from this point forward.
- A new Sonic collection is rumored to come out in June. Will include a majority of classic games and also games that haven't been in circulation for years. Won't include Sonic 3.
- Status of new Mario&Sonic Olympics game is tentative at the moment due to the pandemic and controversy surrounding China.
- New Modern Sonic 2D game. Possibly developed by Dimps.
- Next 3D Sonic game will:
-Not feature boost
-Full 3D game
-Features return of spindash in 3D and character upgrades
-More playable characters rather than solely Sonic
-First game conceptualized by the 'Sonic Pillar' in the US.
-Entirely new team at Sonic Team, featuring a bunch of new hires post-Forces.
-Holiday 2021, although might get delayed to 2022 if quality standards aren't met. SEGA wants to get this one right.
-No tie-in with the movie franchise.
- Reveals should start rolling out from the next few weeks to the end of March, although an announcement might come in a couple of days.
- More guest appearances in other games, similar to Puyo Puyo Tetris.