• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 30th Anniversary details leaked by credible Nintendo leaker Zippo

Ristifer

Except Sonic tubers actually praised Mania; they just don't want it to be the future of the franchise. And no, Classic can die. That's an era of Sonic long past; if you still want 2D gameplay, it'll be Modern Sonic. There are tons of 2D sonic fangames on the level of the originals, and even 2D sonic ripoffs like Freedom Planet for you to enjoy.
I’m not sure why you keep thinking I only like Classic Sonic. I just don’t understand why they can’t have both separately. I agree with you that they shouldn’t both be in the same game. And I want a good Modern Sonic game. I’ve said that numerous times.

It can’t just be about wanting to go off and play 2D fan games. There are plenty of fan games with Modern Sonic as well, so that argument holds no water. So I could just tell purely Modern Sonic fans the same thing. But I wouldn’t. Because I understand the desire for official game approaches. Which is what I was hoping for with both Sonic generations. And why I hope most of this rumour is false.

SonicJams

A few people in youtube comments for a Sonic Show Video have said Zippo confirmed it was him who posted the leak (on discord and RE about 4 hours ago).

Anyone know how reliable he is? Or seen the evidence of this?

Last edited:

SonicJams

Found confirmation about the blog post belonging to the real Zippo, from the Moderator at the Sonic Retro Forums. Now it's gotten interesting 🤔

h2DXNvr.jpg

Last edited:

homelol

Neo Member
It is not broken, it is different.

Anything that is not Sonic 2 physics is broken to you people. Sonic Rush plays nothing like Sonic 2 or 3, still the game certainly isn't broken. This applies to Sonic Generations 3DS and Sonic Forces etc...
All I needed to read was that they're not making a new Mania. My day is ruined.
I was hopping for an higher profile sonic classic game from the same team

BlackTron

Well, I just like Sonic, be it 2D or 3D, modern or classic, I just love when Sonic is done right.

I could do with less artificial segmentation between modern and classic, should have been a 1-game gimmick in Gens. There should just be a 2D or a 3D Sonic game, and Sonic's design should be dependent on how they decided to make him look in it, not some specific "type" like classic or modern. Example: polygonal Mario in 2D games isn't "modern Mario in a classic game". It's just Mario in a game.

I could also do with less of the bad VA, corny dialog, unnecessary story in what should be a simple action game, but I have put up with all that before and would do it again. IF they can get the most important thing right, let me pick up a controller and play a full campaign of well designed levels as Sonic with physics that feel right...to this day it feels like the only 3D game to get this right was Sonic Adventure in spite of all the other flaws.

I want Sega to surprise me but I just haven't the faintest bit of optimism left in me that they can do this...

yurinka

I highly doubt Dimps would work in a Sonic game considering they are busy with Street Fighter V and Street Fighter 6.

I want them to cancel any possible future 3D Sonic and to make Sonic Mania 2 instead.

McCheese

I think it would be best if the team developing Sonic was western.

The original sonic games were co-developed in the USA and Japan, but most of the cut content came from the US side :messenger_tears_of_joy:

it reminds me of Super Street Fighter where the japanese capcom devs added Cammy, and the best the US capcom team came up with was DeeJay and T.hawk.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
New posters celebrating Sonic 30th have been spotted. Seem to show a lot of modern adventure style art in a few, which makes me cautiously excited (hand-picked below):

mTezVvh.png
F51Oh9j.png
dLLRIO7.jpg

Full news at:
For the modern side, i just see Adventure/Generations.

Oh... I also spotted Sonic Forces and Team Sonic Racing :/ (but there is also Transformed in one of the posters 🙏 )

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Without Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles?
2ac9c893039095f5f8260da1cc41780a.gif

Seriously sort it out, it's stupid

Last edited:

Christopher

I didn't hate all the output, some was decent such as Colors. Generations was very good in both 3D and 2D. Lost World was OK.

The 3D Sonic games post adventure were not making Sonic any more popular. People weren't lining up to buy these titles. No one cared about them, gamers and kids had both moved on.

People are not "dying" to see what the next big 3D Sonic game is, the series' reputation was already completely ruined by the late 2000s.

So yes, if you actually want the Sonic series to survive it makes sense to have successful games.

Furthermore, many people ONLY like Sonic Adventure and not the classic games or new games, but it doesn't mean they aren't "real fans".

Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to love every entry. Star Wars is a great example. There are three very different trilogies and it would be idiotic to expect someone to love all three.

Being a fan means you want a series to be at its best, so I'd say having a critical eye is a big part of it.

Why does everyone like colors??? It seemed like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon with dumbed down storylines compared to the 3D games and the gameplay was completely unfun...just wondered what all this praise about colors was all about!?

Miles708

Why does everyone like colors??? It seemed like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon with dumbed down storylines compared to the 3D games and the gameplay was completely unfun...just wondered what all this praise about colors was all about!?
It didn't have the Werehog and came out on a Nintendo console, so it got free praise points.
In reality is just a worse version of Unleashed, which is, for the record, a genuinely great game.

SegaShack

It wasn't amazing but it was finally a game that didn't try to make sonic "serious and cool", after games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 it was well needed.

SonicJams

Without Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles?
2ac9c893039095f5f8260da1cc41780a.gif

Seriously sort it out, it's stupid
Haha apparently the theory is that Michael Jackson didnt mind his music and similarities were used in the game. But now that he's died, if Sega do anything with it they may have to recognise his contributions and such, which could be a lawsuit for them from Jackson's estate managers.

If Sega try and change the music on a re-release, Michael Jackson's estate could potentially use this as evidence that Sega has known of the similarities in the music.

If all this is true, then it seems plausible that Sega would just be avoiding the game altogether and move on.

Last edited:
With respect to Mania, the assumption is that the developers that made it are good to continue to make Mania 2, 3 and so on.
They could very well have ambitions to make games of their own creation, rather than perpetually generate spin-off Sonic games, as is well within their right to do.

That being the case, I would rather they didn't make a Mania 2 with Dimps and end up butchering its image like they did with Sonic 4.

Saber

Gold Member

Its not so difficult to understand. Colors is more simplier, has more charming stages instead of "real world" inspired ones, better gimmicks like Wisps(which quite frankly isn't the best idea but works overall only in this game) and less boost demanding level design.

And thats not to say its perfect or that great. Colors have some retarded level of script(which makes me wonder how someone is paid to write a crap like this) although its not like they're much different from nowadays, villains are a joke(might be the dumbests easy bosses ever) and secondary characters added to the roster of annoying Sonic characters.

I still would play this game over things like Weretardedhog or Forcedge.

SonicJams

Hoping it is announced within 2 weeks really.
Same here buddy.

On the Colours Argument:
Put me down for not liking it. It's all 2d and blocky. Using wisps stops your actual gameplay, so are just very unfun. Storytelling is ass (although the Japanese version is much better). But it does have a little charm, i'll give it that. And the music is pretty good too.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Speaking of Sonic, it's confirmed, the success of the first movie was not pure luck. Sonic will save PARAMOUNT.

Sponge Bob (full trailer) thousands views in several weeks.

Sonic (a poor teaser), millions views in a few days.

Sega has a treasure in the pockets...
When they'll stop doing shit with the franchise, they'll fart gold bars.
The most fascinating part ? Paramount will push Sonic for Sega for decades to come. (lucky Sega)

Some Sonic episodes almost sold 3 millions units on the Wii, we can easily imagine 10 millions units for a multi after 2030.

Last edited:
What's the deal with all these Gamecube Sonic fans pushing the narrative that Colors, Generations and Mania are bad games?
Mania is still loved but many people complain about the lack of new stages relative to the remixed stages, same with Generations but it's more out of bias because of classic sonic being heavily pushed everywhere plus the game not living to it's true potential storywise, same with colors plsu both games started the more lighthearted sitcom-esque writting style over the serious and dramatic action adventure packed shonen anime epics of games like SA1 or SA2. plus the boost stages just aren't as well designed in colors as they were in generations and unleashed, plus colors was the first game to include the wisps, wich are also widely forced and hated now.

Like Sonic Mania, a 3....eeee no.

The past Sega is dead. How on earth do you think a 3D Sonic made by SEGA could be good? Do you know there are some greats 3D games made by fans?

What is classic fan? Someone who wants Sonic Adventure 3? I Mean, 2 was done years ago. You know we had boots on 2D games? We had 2.5 games on GG and Master System? We had adventures games on Game Gear and NDS, right? Those who loved Sonic Colors DS are classic, because it's done in a classic way... on 2 screens?
those were side games and still used mainly modern characetrs, plus the Rush games introduced the Boost mechanic wich would later be used in Unleashed, Colors and Generations

SumJester

Colors was the first game to include the wisps, wich are also widely forced and hated now.
Yeah, sorry this one is a total overreaction. They were fine in Colors, if these were a problem in Forces then point the finger to the real problem (shoved in Original The Character).

And sorry if this part sounds like an hot take but i feel it's true: Little creatures in need of help from the clutches from Dr. Eggman couldn't be more true to the roots of the franchise than anything else introduced in the Dreamcast/Modern era.

Last edited:

SonicJams

This is doing the rounds in the Sonic Community. Looks like the Games might be coming next year (see last sentence).

With Sonic Colours Ultimate being Sega's way of giving us 'something' for the 30th anniversary.

f7Qg24L.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sega should really look back at what made Sonic impressive. It had lots of exploration, secret rooms, and those speedy sequences were in between so felt more rewarding instead of spamming it in their 3D games. Sonic should calm the fuck down.

cireza

It had lots of exploration, secret rooms, and those speedy sequences were in between so felt more rewarding instead of spamming it in their 3D games.
Colors and Lost World fit perfectly what you are looking for. And there is also Mania. Classic Sonic in Generations and Forces also have some very nice stages. Even Unleashed was half BTA/Platforming.

Even though day stages from Unleashed were boost based, they are still to this day absolutely mind-blowing and a blast to play. Level-design was the best the series ever had on this play-style, nailed it from the very first 3D Boost game.

But I am curious to see what they will do, I think that it is difficult to predict, despite being a huge fan of the franchise.

Last edited:
those were side games and still used mainly modern characetrs, plus the Rush games introduced the Boost mechanic wich would later be used in Unleashed, Colors and Generations
Wasn't it on Sonic Advance 1? (I would love a modern collection of those 3 games)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sega should really look back at what made Sonic impressive. It had lots of exploration, secret rooms, and those speedy sequences were in between so felt more rewarding instead of spamming it in their 3D games. Sonic should calm the fuck down.

exactly, even more so for 3d it should more like mario odyssey instead of a endless runner.

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
I'm cleaning up Forces right now, I'm not finding it to be that bad.
Yeah I didn't hate it either. I beat Generations yesterday for the first time and it honestly feels basically the same so I don't really get how people love Generations but shit on Forces. More nostalgia I guess?

I mean neither are amazing games but they both have fun set pieces and things. I would love to see a good actually 3D sonic game. Generations felt more like SSX tricky or racing game with platforming elements at times than a 3D platformer when it wasn't being a 2D platformer. Too much boost, too much homing attack.

Sounds like you haven't played hardly any of the recent Sonic 3D games. I think that's what hurt Sonic Forces somewhat, there wasn't enough of the boost sections and they didn't last long enough

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Colors and Lost World fit perfectly what you are looking for. And there is also Mania. Classic Sonic in Generations and Forces also have some very nice stages. Even Unleashed was half BTA/Platforming.

Even though day stages from Unleashed were boost based, they are still to this day absolutely mind-blowing and a blast to play. Level-design was the best the series ever had on this play-style, nailed it from the very first 3D Boost game.

But I am curious to see what they will do, I think that it is difficult to predict, despite being a huge fan of the franchise.

I meant the 3D ones. Not sure if I missed any but had even the older ones on PS3 that seemed to be endless running. They degraded the game since the 1990's games that were very mindful and fun. Bought Mania but never downloaded it, I can't play old games I just can't tolerate them, but some little clips on youtube from time to time is enough for nostalgia.

exactly, even more so for 3d it should more like mario odyssey instead of a endless runner.

It should, really. Sonic was really head to head with Mario, now it can't even compete with new games like Knack.

Sounds like you haven't played hardly any of the recent Sonic 3D games. I think that's what hurt Sonic Forces somewhat, there wasn't enough of the boost sections and they didn't last long enough

Played plenty of them and I love Sonic in general, many ties to my childhood. The recent games since at least PS3 are extremely generic and boring, yet when watch the anime he's not a mindless runner.

It should, really. Sonic was really head to head with Mario, now it can't even compete with new games like Knack.

To be fair, it's a harder concept to translate to 3D than Mario. With World and Yoshi's Island, Mario was already set as an exploration based platformer, so that makes it easier to do a 3D game. Sonic main thing was speedy gameplay and that translates poorly to 3D because you can't control the fucker.

Top Bottom