• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic Team Game - Official Teaser Trailer

I played Sonic Mania and thought it was good. I'm not itching for a sequel personally but I do believe there is room for both 2D and 3D Sonic games and SEGA might still announce a new 2D sequel in the future for those who really want one. Otherwise you can always replay Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic Mania Plus, or maybe even play a 3D Sonic game instead of only talking shit about them.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
or maybe even play a 3D Sonic game instead of only talking shit about them.
They never will, they're too old and too stubborn. And even if you present them a game like Sonic Generations, or Sonic Colors, or some of the better handheld games, they'll break their brains trying to figure out ways of confirmation bias or they'll simply nitpick them all to death more than any other series of games before it.

These are the same dudes that bring up Sonic Boom as an easy cookie-point argument rebuttal when it wasn't even a part of any conversation(and also no one in their right mind would care about or defend that game).

I’m aware, doesn’t mean it was a good decision.
i liked the concept of normal people, in a normal time living amongst fantasy creatures and sci-fi esque machines, it gives the world some grounded-ness, to the otherwise fantastic setting, and some depth with stuff like GUN or Robotnik's relatives, it also added stakes, you were saving people not cartoon animals.

i think the problemis the artstyle, the Hyperrealistic humans from 06 are uncanny and ugly as hell, and don't fit with Sonic, the Pixar humans from Unleashed are too cartoony for Sonic, i think the perfect balance was with the Anime humans from SA1-Shadow the Hedgehog & Sonic X.

i liked the concept of normal people, in a normal time living amongst fantasy creatures and sci-fi esque machines, it gives the world some grounded-ness, to the otherwise fantastic setting, and some depth with stuff like GUN or Robotnik's relatives, it also added stakes, you were saving people not cartoon animals.

i think the problemis the artstyle, the Hyperrealistic humans from 06 are uncanny and ugly as hell, and don't fit with Sonic, the Pixar humans from Unleashed are too cartoony for Sonic, i think the perfect balance was with the Anime humans from SA1-Shadow the Hedgehog & Sonic X.
The look of the anime NPCs in Sonic Adventure can probably be attributed to the work of Kazuyuki Hoshino. He is credited as the art director for the 3D Sonic games, from Sonic Adventure up to Shadow the Hedgehog. But I agree that the idea of human characters in a Sonic game is good. Especially if they lean into the anime art style.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Really miss the Yuji Naka Sonic Team. They made more than just Sonic.
The "all for Sonic" Sonic Team doesn't really exist anymore at Sega Sammy :

-Puyo Puyo Tetris
-Sakura Wars (co-development)
-Rythm Thief (Shun Nakamura co-development)
-Sonic Forces (FAIL)
-PSO2 New Genesis

Sonic Team isn't developing many Sonic Games lately (Sonic Forces was 2017) and Yuji Naka isn't exactly shining with Square Enix and Balan...

Was Yuji Naka really the key to a better Sonic Team ? Wasn't the true Sonic Team a team work of Naoto Oshima, Hirokazu Yasuhara or even Shuji Utsumi for the overall strategy ? Ok, Naka is one of the guys who wanted new IPs, but is it the proof he is the big deal ? I honestly wasn't impressed by his works at Prope and cannot say Balan (Square) is the worthy successor of the golden age Sonic Team...

Last edited:

sinseers

-Puyo Puyo Tetris
-Sonic Forces (FAIL)
-PSO2 New Genesis

Sonic Team isn't developing many Sonic Games lately (Sonic Forces was 2017) and Yuji Naka isn't exactly shining with Square Enix and Balan...

Was Yuji Naka really the key to a better Sonic Team ? Wasn't the true Sonic Team a team work of Naoto Oshima, Hirokazu Yasuhara or even Shuji Utsumi for the overall strategy ? Ok, Naka is one of the guys who wanted new IPs, but is it the proof he is the big deal ? I honestly wasn't impressed by his works at Prope and cannot say Balan (Square) is the worthy successor of the golden age Sonic Team...
I can respect that comment though I miss their Nights ,Burning Rangers and PSO flavor. You had to be there back then to know just how magical a time it was for Sonic Team.

-Puyo Puyo Tetris
-Sonic Forces (FAIL)
-PSO2 New Genesis

Yuki Naka made Secret rings, Shadow, 2006, co-helped on the bad gba port of the first game, co-helped on riders, and glitched ps2 Sonic Heroes which was already a below average game.

Despite his region being known for individuals taking credit, he isn't why fans it casuals liked the games before any of those. He may have helped out here and there at best, but was more likely an obstacle that threw in bad ideas. That's it.

Top Bottom