• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic Team Game - Official Teaser Trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Get ready to take on a new journey in the next flagship Sonic title from Sonic Team

unknown.png

Head of Sonic Team Takashi Iizuka announced that the next mainline Sonic the Hedgehog game from the flagship Sonic studio was underway.
Since then, we've heard nothing about the project, and after today's Sonic Central stream, we know little more than the project is still in development.
During today's video, Iizuka confirmed that the team behind Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces is still working on the next mainline Sonic game and gave us a tiny teaser video with a release window of 2022.

Its most recent game for the Blue Blur was Sonic Forces, which came out in 2017. While the game made various improvements and played heavily into the fandom with a create-a-character feature, the title received lukewarm reception from critics and fans.
Source

Other announcements of the day include Sonic Origin (here) & Sonic Colors Ultimate (here)

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Sonic Team has never really been the biggest issue with Sonic games. Sega's business model has been. They could have a different team but until Sega changes how it treats the development of Sonic games, you'll get the same results.

I wanna see someone like the Yakuza guy try a crack at it like he said he wants to

SkylineRKR

Is Sonic Adventure 3 too much to hope for?

At this point I take it. I have no faith in Sonic Team. But SA3 based on name alone would get me hyped. And SA1, while I don't like it nowadays, was good in 1999. SA2 I much to my own surprise I still greatly enjoyed on PS3.

YCoCg

I wish they'd stop saying "from the makers of Generations" since there's hardly anyone involved here, hell they proved that with Forces already by not having any of the level designers return.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I simply so not think Sonic Team has the necessary talent to do this series justice anymore.

The closest they've come to finding a viable new direction is honestly like Lost World and that games was wildly unpolished. But like, at least it was a fucking platform game and not Temple Run.

ShadowDurza

Neo Member
idk how would a single path be relevant to the plot/gameplay.
also where's that screenshot from?
Saw a guy link to it on Reddit.

I'm grasping at straws here, the moment I saw that teaser i wasn't happy, I kept thinking "Oh God no, another boost game! They haven't learned a thing" and Sonic's insult to metal had me think the same thing in terms of writing.

kevm3

Why do developers think releasing teasers that just show a logo or some 1 second snippet of CG is a great idea? I find them more agitating than anything else. Just show us some of the game or keep it quiet. Same thing with the DQ12 reveal.

Saw a guy link to it on Reddit.

I'm grasping at straws here, the moment I saw that teaser i wasn't happy, I kept thinking "Oh God no, another boost game! They haven't learned a thing" and Sonic's insult to metal had me think the same thing in terms of writing.
if we were to trust the Zippo and 4Chan leaks, there will be no boost but insteasd some sort of new draw-a-circle mechanic ala Pokemon Ranger

ShadowDurza

Neo Member
if we were to trust the Zippo and 4Chan leaks, there will be no boost but insteasd some sort of new draw-a-circle mechanic ala Pokemon Ranger
For me, the perfect 3D Sonic has already been done. Twice. And I don't mean Adventure.

Sonic GT

Spark the Electric Jester 2.

These games helped me realize exactly what Sonic is capable of, no need to reinvent the wheel. A gimmick is no substitute for a solid gameplay foundation.

For me, the perfect 3D Sonic has already been done. Twice. And I don't mean Adventure.

Sonic GT

Spark the Electric Jester 2.

These games helped me realize exactly what Sonic is capable of, no need to reinvent the wheel. A gimmick is no substitute for a solid gameplay foundation.
yeah but i don't count fangames/OG Ip's based of Sonic as Sonic games. it would stillbe cool to see the Adventure games get remade to their maximum potential or even a new experience.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Why does everybody so hype everytime a new sonic game was announced? if im not mistaken the previous games were all shitty and not memorable, people still have high hopes for it?

Ryu Kaiba

Sonic Team has never really been the biggest issue with Sonic games. Sega's business model has been. They could have a different team but until Sega changes how it treats the development of Sonic games, you'll get the same results.
This is a change they're taking way more time than they usually do and letting their western teams develop it.

ShadowDurza

Neo Member
yeah but i don't count fangames/OG Ip's based of Sonic as Sonic games. it would stillbe cool to see the Adventure games get remade to their maximum potential or even a new experience.
What I meant was that it's shameful and drastically disheartening that individual to small-team developers understand how to make better experiences and give me more hope wuth Sonic than the AAA budgeted SEGA.

ShadowDurza

Neo Member
He literally boosted in the teaser
I'm praying to Chaos that it's just an effect that happens when Sonic reaches a certain speed in certain conditions.

Call me a wimp all you want, but I'm in pain over SEGA's inability to deliver an ideal experience. 😭

teezzy

Banned
Why do developers think releasing teasers that just show a logo or some 1 second snippet of CG is a great idea? I find them more agitating than anything else. Just show us some of the game or keep it quiet. Same thing with the DQ12 reveal.

Sadly that's all they need to show, they have nothing else ready and they don't need to. So many people tune in just to see a logo lol

Just look at Metroid Prime 4 or the next Elder Scrolls... how long has it been now

🤷‍♂️

Miles708

I like the fact that they're going for the open world. FINALLY!
Now, if we manage to make it not suck this time, please and thank you.

Top Bottom