• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony 2022 TVs reveal on January 4 2022

Well you're response was telling me that mini LED is used with FALD. As if I didn't know that, so I'm not sure what you were thinking.

At this point I have no idea what you're talking about zones for. The point I made was that there is little appeal for most people in the X95J. Its too expensive for what it delivers. Sony themselves said that they couldn't offer a 55" X95J due to how low it would need to be priced, and because 55" OLEDs can be had at that same price range and are much better, it wouldn't sell. So don't be surprised if they just kill that model off entirely this year. The point of the X90J/K is to have a ~ $1000 55-65" 4K TV that can have decent mass appeal. Fairly cheap to make, good enough picture quality, and significantly less expensive than their A80J 4K OLED. Most people who are looking to drop $1500-$2500 on a 55"-65" 4K TV will just get a LG C1 or Sony A80J. The ideal of the X95, a high end 4K LCD that's similar in price to the A80J, a mid range 4K OLED, is becoming less and less appealing. Too expensive / not good enough.
You said “Tvs like x95j are a dying breed” and “people want mini led.”

My response was to say the whole point of mini led is simply more dimming zones, so just having mini led doesn’t automatically make traditional fald displays obsolete. You can achieve the same result as mini led with just more dimming zones.

As a matter of fact it’s possible for a traditional fald to beat mini led depending on the implementation but of course a balls to the wall mini led from Sony with as high zone count as possible would be best, but then it becomes a cost to manufacture issue, and QA issue…

With mini led, the tvs are usually thinner which leads to more possible uniformity issues and also more heat i.e. less peak brightness. Of course a mini led tv with great QA and a thick body would solve that issue but the trend is thinner tvs.

TLDR there is not necessarily a benefit to mini led technology as of right now.

kyliethicc kyliethicc BTW,

It’s entirely possible that those 6 tvs include the 4 oleds but also both an x90k and x95k. This is a much more likely scenario ; there is precedence for Sony not announcing a Z9 model at ces aka 2018 Z9F with new processor x1 ultimate (first tv to have X1U chip). Link

Not only that, but the 2019 Z9G had to fill 2020’s shoes as well which had no new z9 flagship for that year.

With that in mind, i’m betting against you and that there actually won’t be a Z9 model at CES but instead that will be reserved for an late Summer announcement with possibly a brand new chip.

The older Z9J could still sell on peak brightness alone, around 3 to 4000 nits without a new model just yet.

The x95J, on the other hand, as well as the x90J are in massive need for improvement. We will see!

Last edited:
As someone who prefers LCDs, the news are troubling.
I'm sure miniLED will get some air time in due time.

1. There's only two manufacturers for OLED screens suitable for TV's, and one will continue to supply ~80% of the production for the external customers (other brands) for the next two years, easily. I'm also not sure Samsung solution is that different or any better, as on a technical level, it's mostly avoiding every Kodak/LG patent and making otherwise weird/derivative decisions to reach the same result. (all blue diodes instead of white diodes, quantum dot color conversion instead of LG's color filter). Blue diodes have the lowest lifespan, while white diodes have the highest or close to the highest. Pure blue is also not very good for the eyes if they don't filter it out.

2. Brightness won't increase significantly for OLED as their lifespan issues are tied to how much electricity goes into every diode. Drive any OLED panel harder and you're eating away from their already short life (1/3 of any other mature tech). Bright rooms are always a factor, and a factor that helps sell the equipment on a well lit store. One of the reasons Plasma wasn't a good performer with clients that didn't understand the tech. I won't be surprised if some flagship models are very bright and miniLED. They'll look better in that environment, it's really good that they don't have to forgo the local dimming areas/constrast as they did in the past, as that made them a bit of snake oil, store experience/impressions >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> what you get at home. Probably also true in regard to OLED "store mode" vs "house mode" though, I'll bet.

3. It's a good start for microLED production pipelines, instead of RGB or WRGB panels they just have to do panels with white pixels. I do have a Samsung fridge with OLED tech from the early 2010's as they were testing things out on unsuspecting costumers (it wasn't exactly a feature on the spec sheet) and the screens suck balls, they all reached half life in 30.000 hours (3,5 years seeing as a fridge is always plugged in) and have been progressing in their washed-out-ness since. Quite unreadable/garbled at this point, beta testing on customers baby. But in this case that's a good thing because miniLED doesn't last only 30.000 hours.

4. With good image processing miniLED motion handling can draw circles around OLED's, specially with contents whose sources use "normal" frequencies (60Hz and lower).

The future is bright.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Bring back tilted design you cowards!

Other than that they better come out the gate VRR ready if they want to compete in gaming tv space.

Kuranghi

All these TVs look same to me.

Thats not unusual, I show/compare TV pictures with poeple from all walks of life all day long and I'd say about 50%+ won't see differences in an direct-lit LCD vs. an FALD LCD or an FALD LCD vs. an OLED unless I point them out with exaggerating examples of the differences.

Like forcing blooming on the FALD by standing off-axis/above it and then doing the same on OLED or showing how dim bright highlights and how raised/grey the black level is on a direct-lit vs. on a FALD LCD where the bright thing will be bright and the black level kept in check/zero in the black areas. All of that can be done using this clip alone:

Try playing that, but specifically on the internal youtube app in your TV (To make sure you get HDR) in its most accurate picture setting (It will be called movie/cinema/natural/filmmaker etc depending on the brand of TV, or just not game mode at least) in a darkened room and see how black the black areas are during the first few shots.

If the black areas look grey/blue its probably because you have an direct-lit LCD or an IPS-like panel (mostly LG) LCD and even going up to an FALD VA-panel LCD will make a massive difference, let alone an OLED. If all those terms are confusing just PM me when/if you want advice on buying your next TV and I'll take you through it step by step.

You just got used to how TVs were before high zone count FALD/OLED entered the market at a reasonable price 5/7 or so years ago, once you see how much difference it makes by someone in the know pointing it out I think you'll get why we bumpf on about this stuff.

Or you won't notice the difference and then you save tons of money! Thats my go-to line when that happens in my shop anyway.

Kuranghi

Bring back tilted design you cowards!

Other than that they better come out the gate VRR ready if they want to compete in gaming tv space.

All 2021 Sony LCDs and OLEDs still the 2° tilt built into the stand design afaik. Everyone in retail just thinks the stand is bent on the display models 🤦‍♂️

Or do you mean the 5° tilt from the Sony A1E/AF9 days? Yeah that was pretty nice imo, AF9 especially:

sony_af9_review_side.jpg

ikbalCO

All 2021 Sony LCDs and OLEDs still the 2° tilt built into the stand design afaik. Everyone in retail just thinks the stand is bent on the display models 🤦‍♂️

Or do you mean the 5° tilt from the Sony A1E/AF9 days? Yeah that was pretty nice imo, AF9 especially:

sony_af9_review_side.jpg
I was talking about the a1/af9 days yes. Af9 is legit the best looking tv ever made

kyliethicc

live

Lineup

4K OLED A95K
4K OLED A90K
4K OLED A80K (+ A83K / A84K)

4K Mini LED X95K
4K LED X90K (+ X93K / X94K)
4K LED X80K (+ X81K)

8K Mini LED Z9K

And they created a "Sony Cam" aka Kinect for TV lol.

Last edited:

Elios83

New TVs announced.
A95k series is QD-OLED, 55 and 65 inches models planned.
"VRR at launch coinciding with the imminent arrival of VRR on PS5 through a firmware update" Vincent claims.

I'm waiting for reviews and prices but the A95K 55'' is a good candidate to be my new TV later this year

Dedicated video about the QD-OLED A95k TV series:

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Amazing line-up, something for everyone.

What caught my eye is that A80K has XR Oled Contrast Pro, previously only reserved for A90J. Sounds like A80K may be getting a heatsink as well.

kyliethicc

What caught my eye is that A80K has XR Oled Contrast Pro, previously only reserved for A90J. Sounds like A80K may be getting a heatsink as well.
Yeah its interesting that the A80 and A90 are almost the same, except the 80 is larger sizes and the 90 is smaller sizes.

Surprised that they introduced 2 new Mini LED models.

Looks like a good lineup.

dotnotbot

Yeah its interesting that the A80 and A90 are almost the same, except the 80 is larger sizes and the 90 is smaller sizes.

Surprised that they introduced 2 new Mini LED models.

Looks like a good lineup.

1641309848111-png.3218792

"In case you're wondering, the size section of the A90K OLED is not a misprint: it indeed only comes in 42- and 48-inch sizes, which Sony aims, in part, at gamers. In terms of image quality, Sony said that its non-QD-OLED models -- the A90K and A80K -- would both perform basically the same, and as well as the flagship A90J OLED TV from 2021."

So that explains it, A80K and A90K are now the same performance wise as A90J.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I can't watch till later but will any new features for the equivalent to the X90J be coming via to the x90j via firmware updates? Because it's the exact same processor and panel?

kyliethicc

1641309848111-png.3218792

"In case you're wondering, the size section of the A90K OLED is not a misprint: it indeed only comes in 42- and 48-inch sizes, which Sony aims, in part, at gamers. In terms of image quality, Sony said that its non-QD-OLED models -- the A90K and A80K -- would both perform basically the same, and as well as the flagship A90J OLED TV from 2021."

So that explains it, A80K and A90K are now the same performance wise as A90J.
Where's that info and chart from?

I can't watch till later but will any new features for the equivalent to the X90J be coming via to the x90j via firmware updates? Because it's the exact same processor and panel?
Your X90J will get VRR via an update.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Basically no new features compared to X90J so you're good.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They're really pushing mini LED huh, over OLED even. To me mini LED feels like a stopgap until we get micro LED, but if it actually gives comparable contrast to OLED without the drawbacks (low max brightness, burn-in, etc) that X95K might be very interesting...

ParaSeoul

So is it QD OLED or QD Display? I thought Samsung was doing their best to hide the fact it was using OLED for its tv's.

kyliethicc

So why would someone buy an x90k instead of an x90j which is far cheaper?
There is no price for the X90K yet, it was only announced today and won't release for months. It will replace the X90J.

Not sure if you understand how TVs work, but there is a new model released every year. Then they stop making the old model.

Kerotan

There is no price for the X90K yet, it was only announced today and won't release for months. It will replace the X90J.

Not sure if you understand how TVs work, but there is a new model released every year. Then they stop making the old model.
I know that but the new X90k will launch at like €1500 and the x90j is about €1000 atm. So if they're the exact same you'd be crazy not to save €500 and buy now.

Rea

So these new TVs still using the same Chipset and XR processor from last year, only abit improvements here and there. But then again A95k, wow. Evolution in OLED technology combines with the Best image processor.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

kyliethicc

So these new TVs still using the same Chipset and XR processor from last year, only abit improvements here and there. But then again A95k, wow. Evolution in OLED technology combines with the Best image processor.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF
Yeah the main new bits are:

- new 4K and 8K Mini LED panels (Z9K, X95K)
- new 4K QD-OLED panel (A95K)
- new 42" and 48" 4K OLED model (A90K)

And new designs of course. Rest of the updates are fairly minor.

Sony embracing both MiniLED and QD-OLED, nice. All the big players are bringing miniLEDs. Highsense, TCL, LG, Sony, Samsung, even Sharp.

yurinka

Which one is better, Mini LED or, QD-OLED or OLED? Do these OLED screens still have the burn in and ghosting issues OLED screens had in the past?

Backlight Master Drive is back.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-mini-led-tv-z9k-8k-x95k-4k-ces-2022/
Basically, Sony thinks that the combined algorithms of its XR Backlight Master Drive and Cognitive Processor XR do a better job of exerting fine-tuned control over the mini-LEDs in its Z9K and X95K TVs, letting these models deliver on the advantages of mini-LEDs in a way that other companies haven’t been able to do. Are these claims hype or has Sony really cracked the code on mini-LED? We won’t know until we get one of these TVs in for a test drive, but Sony’s image processing is world-class and there are those who still think that the company’s 2016 Z-Series (which used the original Backlight Master Drive) has the best picture quality the company has ever achieved.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’ll trust rtings and professional reviewers on what’s best about a tv and I look forward to seeing what Sony brings with these bad boys.

Top Bottom