• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony 2022 TVs reveal on January 4 2022

kyliethicc

Going by Sony's terminology, it's equipped with XR OLED Contrast Pro, same as A80K. So shouldn't be much dimmer, if at all. Also exact same processor, while B series handles some things noticeably worse compared to C. I'm very intrigued how it performs. Naming it A75 instead of A70 also suggests there isn't that much of a difference under the hood.

So far seems to be only confirmed for Asia and Europe.
Yeah idk. Clearly its got like the X90K stand. So the main cut will probably be build quality / design.

I'd assume they're just reusing A80J panels for this one, but maybe not.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Can we start seeing a major drop in pricing on the A80J now?
Don't know if regular timeframes apply in covid times. As far as I know they have sold these TVs since launch without a price drop. Guess demand is there - at least that's the case in every other electronic device this and last year.

That A75k might be the woled to buy from Sony next year. Worse sound but at a discount is great if you use headphones / external speakers.

I wouldn’t worry about the build quality more than other oleds because you’re not guaranteed to get a good panel AT ALL even on Sony master series oled.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Seems like Sony may have leaked their own prices on their site.

If true, then the A90K (42/48") will be fairly priced. About the same as the LG C2 42/48". The A95K isn't going to be insanely over priced either. But the Mini LED X95K and Z9K will apparently have pretty high prices.

Assuming the Sony Rewards points listed on their pages are correct, then the US prices for the 2022 Sony TVs are:

A95K
55 $3000
65 $4000

A90K
42 $1400
48 $1500

A80K
55 $1800
65 $2300
77 $3500

X95K
65 $2800
75 $3800
85 $5500

X90K
55 $1300
65 $1500
75 $2000
85 $3000

Z9K
75 $7000
85 $10000

Last edited:

EDMIX

QD-OLED panels aren't made in those sizes yet, only 55 and 65.

I never knew that, I might just wait until next year before buying one of that size. I wanted to get something around that size when I get a PS5 at the same time, as I got a 4K Samsung QLED the day I got my PS4 Pro to jump in to 4K (was glorious asf mind you).

I'll just wait then.

I need to move lots of e-commerce units before I can justify such a purchase.

Elios83

If true, then the A90K (42/48") will be fairly priced. About the same as the LG C2 42/48". Looks like the Sony 2022 OLEDs will be priced fairly. The A95K isn't going to be insanely over priced either. But the Mini LED X95K and Z9K will apparently have pretty high prices.

Assuming the Sony Rewards points listed on their pages are correct, then the US prices for the 2022 Sony TVs are:

A95K
55 $3000
65 $4000

A90K
42 $1400
48 $1500

A80K
55 $1800
65 $2300
77 $3500

X95K
65 $2800
75 $3800
85 $5500

X90K
55 $1300
65 $1500
75 $2000
85 $3000

Z9K
75 $7000
85 $10000

If these prices are confirmed and reviews are great I'm getting the 55A95K.

dotnotbot

I should certainly hope not. At the very least all the 2.1 stuff is promised to be working out of the box this year unlike last but i’m holding out hope that the XR chip performs differently this year with regards to processing esp. motion.

VRR will be provided via update and by the time new models release this update should be ready so that's why 2.1 stuff is promised to work out of box.

But everything points to processor being exactly the same this year. So at the very best we should only expect some minor software tweaks. This is a sad situation for Z9K because it won't be able to do 8k@60 with VRR at the same time (or 8k@120 at all). And there is still a big unknown whether local dimming will work with VRR.

Last edited:

dolabla

Saw those reward points things pop up the other day. Been checking every day to see if they list the prices. Maybe this week they will put them up.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member

If true, then the A90K (42/48") will be fairly priced. About the same as the LG C2 42/48". Looks like the Sony 2022 OLEDs will be priced fairly. The A95K isn't going to be insanely over priced either. But the Mini LED X95K and Z9K will apparently have pretty high prices.

A95K
55 $3000
65 $4000

A90K
42 $1400
48 $1500

A80K
55 $1800
65 $2300
77 $3500

X95K
65 $2800
75 $3800
85 $5500

X90K
55 $1300
65 $1500
75 $2000
85 $3000

Z9K
75 $7000
85 $10000

If the A95K price is accurate and the new panel is as good as it should be I may bite on the 65”. I love my A90J but we rearranged the tv room since buying it and 55” is too small now

Dr Bass

A95K
55 $3000
65 $4000

A90K
42 $1400
48 $1500

A80K
55 $1800
65 $2300
77 $3500

X95K
65 $2800
75 $3800
85 $5500

X90K
55 $1300
65 $1500
75 $2000
85 $3000

Z9K
75 $7000
85 $10000

Wasn’t there supposed to be a 95 or 98 in one of those lines?

VRR will be provided via update and by the time new models release this update should be ready so that's why 2.1 stuff is promised to work out of box.

But everything points to processor being exactly the same this year. So at the very best we should only expect some minor software tweaks. This is a sad situation for Z9K because it won't be able to do 8k@60 with VRR at the same time (or 8k@120 at all). And there is still a big unknown whether local dimming will work with VRR.
Yeah I don’t think vrr is going to be any good sadly. It’s not important to me though.

The processor seems to be the same but I at least hope they can eliminate the judder I witnessed on my A80J and i’ve seen similar judder on x90j in videos. Hopefully it was due to a bug.

Except Dolby Vision game mode and HGiG (those 2 features aren't part of HDMI 2.1 of course).
I haven’t heard anything about dolby vision gaming for Sony (although judging by hdtvtest videos it can look worse than regular hdr) but hgig has already been updated on 2021 sony sets right?

I’ve heard that hgig support will be there out of the box this year.

dotnotbot

I haven’t heard anything about dolby vision gaming for Sony (although judging by hdtvtest videos it can look worse than regular hdr) but hgig has already been updated on 2021 sony sets right?

I’ve heard that hgig support will be there out of the box this year.

That feature Sony introduced and already added just sets HDR configuration screen on PS5 automatically. TV's tone-mapping is still on so it's not HGiG, HGiG should be tone-mapping done entirely on the source device.

That feature Sony introduced and already added just sets HDR configuration screen on PS5 automatically. TV's tone-mapping is still on so it's not HGiG, HGiG should be tone-mapping done entirely on the source device.
Hmm so there’s no hgig setting toggle like LG? Hopefully it’s added this year…

kyliethicc

Except Dolby Vision game mode and HGiG (those 2 features aren't part of HDMI 2.1 of course).

There is no need for any HGiG mode on a TV.

And Sony would know cause they run HGiG.

They even say this on the site:

A22HO4X.jpg

Last edited:

dotnotbot

There is no need for any HGiG mode on a TV.

And Sony would know cause they run HGiG.

They even say this on the site:

A22HO4X.jpg

Yes, there's no need for a dedicated HGiG mode, all you need is a toggle to turn off tone-mapping on the TV. Sony's newest TVs have that toggle but the problem is that with tone-mapping off they're undertracking EOTF, meaning everything is darker than reference. Sony could correct that with a firmware update but they didn't so far.

Yes, there's no need for a dedicated HGiG mode, all you need is a toggle to turn off tone-mapping on the TV. Sony's newest TVs have that toggle but the problem is that with tone-mapping off they're undertracking EOTF, meaning everything is darker than reference. Sony could correct that with a firmware update but they didn't so far.
That explains it.

kyliethicc

Sony's current setup seems fine to me. They let you disable tone mapping for more precise calibration. Then you can always just turn it back on after the calibration is done.

kyliethicc

What hdr settings did you guys go with on horizon forbidden west?
Go ask in the HFW OT. Don't just bump this thread for off topic discussions cmon.

For Sony TV or any OLED?

In game LG C9

Brightness -2
Shadow detail 0
Highlights -8

Mad but games HDR is borked GG gonna be busy this Monday.
lol ew you're capping highlights at like 400-500 nits. Might as well just play in SDR if you're gonna butcher the dynamic range.

TrebleShot

Go ask in the HFW OT. Don't just bump this thread for off topic discussions cmon.

lol ew you're capping highlights at like 400-500 nits. Might as well just play in SDR if you're gonna butcher the dynamic range.
Seems the output at these settings is at 750-800 nits in highlighted light sources.

GHG

Gold Member
What hdr settings did you guys go with on horizon forbidden west?

Provided you have your global HDR settings set up correctly then you shouldn't need to make huge adjustments and the defaults might well be correct.

In my case -1 brightness was perfect on the OLED. The main thing to look out for in the preview image is making sure you're not getting any clipping in the bright areas of the sky.

Seems the output at these settings is at 750-800 nits in highlighted light sources.

Doesn't seem to be correct. HDTVtest are the only people to trust when it comes to stuff like this. Other than that it's best to just use your eyes on the preview image and figure which points result in a loss of detail.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Review of Sonys new QD-OLED, the A95K

TLDW: It’s better than theA90J. Best picture quality in any TV. Better color accuracy, VRR is in. Will get the tv for long term testing.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member

Review of Sonys new QD-OLED, the A95K

TLDW: It’s better than theA90J. Best picture quality in any TV. Better color accuracy, VRR is in. Will get the tv for long term testing.

Still only a single HDMI 2.1 port for all practical purposes if you also use a receiver, as the other 2.1 port is for eARC. That's a hard no for me unfortunately, I need at least 3x HDMI 2.1 ports for my PC, PS5 and XSX, and the eARC port to the receiver. Will be interesting to see what Samsung will do with QD-OLED, they invented the technology after all and make their own SOC with 4x 2.1 ports.

Lone Wolf

Still only a single HDMI 2.1 port for all practical purposes if you also use a receiver, as the other 2.1 port is for eARC. That's a hard no for me unfortunately, I need at least 3x HDMI 2.1 ports for my PC, PS5 and XSX, and the eARC port to the receiver. Will be interesting to see what Samsung will do with QD-OLED, they invented the technology after all and make their own SOC with 4x 2.1 ports.
Deal breaker for me as well. Can’t figure out why they keep doing this. Every port should be 2.1 at this point. I know Samsungs QN90B flagship QLED now has four 2.1 ports, so most likely the OLEDs will too.

Lognor

Banned
How did they fuck this up AGAIN!?

SMH. I just bought the A80J which has the same limited HDMI 2.1 ports, but since I only have the XSX hooked up it's not an issue for me at this point.

But if you have a receiver that supports HDMI 2.1 can't you hook the PS5, PC and XSX up to that? Why do you need separate ports on the tv?

Top Bottom