• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony games on PSN specifically say Offline Play Enabled, even on single-player games. Online-only future incoming? (Since 2013 Post #17)

Miles708

Examples:

JEZTgb6.png

Sony now is explicitly stating (for new offline single player games) that those game can, effectively, be played offline.

Just an excess of zeal on the game's info panel?
Or is it to make way for a "Offline play disabled" tag?

Hmmm.

fry-futurama-not-sure-if-lying-meme.jpg

HMMMMM!

Last edited:

Unknown?

When will you morons quit looking for bullshit to jump to conclusions about. You need something else to do with your lives.
Yeah, this probably just means people have no clue. I wouldn't be surprised if casuals have no idea what games are online and offline other than COD.

Miles708

When will you morons quit looking for bullshit to jump to conclusions about. You need something else to do with your lives.

No!

On a more (slightly) serious note, it's good to be suspicious of corporations, just as a general rule.

On a real-life product, it's like reading on a water bottle something like: "without caffeine".

While technically true, its mere presence raises questions.

yurinka

Some games can be played offline and other games can be played online.

If a game has an online multiplayer or a single player with looting + microtransactions system it will require online. If not will be offline. As always.

Many games don't and won't need online for anything, and a big portion of people play without their consoles plugged to internet so always there will be offline games and for that people is important to know if a game require online or not, so this is why they notify it with some wording or another.

There's no hidden conspiracy behind it. It wouldn't make sense to require online for games that don't use it, to make all games online only would only mean less sales for them because all these players who don't have internet in the room where they play won't buy that game. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Unknown?

No!

On a more (slightly) serious note, it's good to be suspicious of corporations, just as a general rule.

On a real-life product, it's like reading on a water bottle something like: "without caffeine".

While technically true, its mere presence raises questions.
If they had that label on a water bottle it's because somewhere out there a daft person complained or sued over it. It's why you have to have hot printed on hot coffee cups. Obviously it's hot.

Tripolygon

Banned
You're right OP, I also noticed they tell you if a game is multi-player and single player. I think it also means that single player games is going away since now they have to tell you that.

On a more serious note. They have had that label for a long time now on back of games box.

195c8s2umhla6jpg.jpg

Last edited:
In the area of fortnight/other f2p titles it may need to be specified.

However, this is certainly something to look out for, publishers have had the online only option for years now.

Allandor

I think they just want to communicate that the game can be played offline. Many games nowadays have an online component (like "The Division") and require to be always online. Even if you play the games alone without a group.
And this is a nice addition of info for the store page.

I don't think they make this to prepare for online-only singleplayer games.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
There's no conspiracy here, singleplayer Sony games aren't going away. It's just a message you can play offline since PS+ is (usually) needed for online play.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also, it says "Not available for purchase" on the bottom left. Does it mean that Sony is going to turn off its online store? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?! /s :messenger_expressionless:

Irobot82

Yes, godfall one of Sony’s most promoted games is online only even in single player
I don't know much about Godfall but if your SP character can be played in MP then yes it needs to be online only to prevent cheaters from hacking/duping items.

Thanati

So that means if your internet goes down, you can’t play?

seems to me Gaf isn’t going to like this because, you know, Stadia and all that.

lol.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
NVM, no clue lol

Maybe they will have ps now versions?
This was might first thought, vs the sky is falling. They havent really went into details about how they are improving PSNow for PS5.

Miles708

I think they just want to communicate that the game can be played offline. Many games nowadays have an online component (like "The Division") and require to be always online. Even if you play the games alone without a group.
And this is a nice addition of info for the store page.

I don't think they make this to prepare for online-only singleplayer games.

Yup, this makes sense.
On the other hand, labels for online games exist already, so this is redundant.

It is probably nothing but I can't find a scenario where an "offline play enabled" tag is not just a bit worrying.

What is even this thread? How does one spin telling people if a game can be played offline as a negative?

It's a slow friday

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm with those raising an eyebrow to this as well. Companys don't just state things for no reason. It's a significant paradigm shift from saying games require a online connection to the opposite. Probably the opening footwork to normalise an internet connection in games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Considering a fairly large group of people on this forum basically spearheaded the boycot of xbox one over this, if true, you would think this would be a huge deal. I personally could care less.

Miles708

To the mod who added the Drama tag to my thread: thank you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm with those raising an eyebrow to this as well. Companys don't just state things for no reason. It's a significant paradigm shift from saying games require a online connection to the opposite. Probably the opening footwork to normalise an internet connection in games.

Sometimes I realize I really lack basic communication skills.
Thanks for pointing my doubts in a more coherent manner.

Considering a fairly large group of people on this forum basically spearheaded the boycot of xbox one over this, if true, you would think this would be a huge deal. I personally could care less.

So ... you care?

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say this is more ps now related. Maybe some big announcements coming?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
To the mod who added the Drama tag to my thread: thank you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sometimes I realize I really lack basic communication skills.
Thanks for pointing my doubts in a more coherent manner.

So ... you care?

Not if they need an internet connection or not.
But if would be an an extreme double standard at this point for all these die hard "against" no offline people to suddenly throw up thier hands and say who cares now that Sony is doing it.

Tripolygon

Banned
Not if they need an internet connection or not.
But if would be an an extreme double standard at this point for all these die hard "against" no offline people to suddenly throw up thier hands and say who cares now that Sony is doing it.
Now that Sony is doing what?

Agent X

Don't forget about the situation that occurred with Final Fight: Double Impact on PS3 back in 2010, which requires you to connect to PSN even if you're not playing a multiplayer game online. See this thread:

Top Bottom