• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset for PS4/PS3/Vita?

whitehawk

Banned
Sorry if this is old, I searched.

I put a question mark because there doesn't seem to be an announcement yet, but check it out.

Listed on BestBuy and PlayAsia

http://www.play-asia.com/gold-wireless-stereo-headset-paOS-13-49-en-70-6w97.html
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gold-wireless-stereo-headset-for-playstation-4-and-playstation-3/3353002.p?id=1219091055230&skuId=3353002&st=categoryid$abcat0715007&cp=2&lp=14

X9Bwr67.jpg

More images: http://imgur.com/a/lCvjh

bebop242

Was just about to upgrade to the pulse elite when the ps4 firmware updates to support them. Now I'll have to wait and see about these bad boys

Comandr

From play Asia:

A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively)

... 1.6? Feature adding firmware incoming?! Also this looks like the headset I have been praying for. :)

Shin-Ra

Matte >>> shiny

But I can't stand closed back headphones. It's like two plungers are sucking the air out of your head.

Man, they almost look like they somewhat ripped off the style of my Sol Master Tracks.

I must get a pair. Great find brother. $129 on PlayAsia, how much will they be in the states?

Zee-Row

Banned
Damn it , i just bought a Pulse Elite. Now i'm worried that they'll never do the update to make the wireless work on PS4 and make it only work for these new ones.

Krakn3Dfx

Damn it , i just bought a Pulse Elite. Now i'm worried that they'll never do the update to make the wireless work on PS4 and make it only work for these new ones.

They've already said many times that they will be updating to support the existing Pulse line soon. I wouldn't worry too much. It's coming.

Shin-Ra

They already committed to supporting the PS3 headsets.

Certain PlayStation®3 peripherals including, Wireless Stereo Headset (CECHYA-0080)*2 and PULSE wireless stereo headset - Elite Edition (CECHYA-0086)*2, will also be supported by future system software updates*3.
http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130821c_e.html

deadpixel

Banned

The most that will happen is that they'll stop production on the Pulse Elites. Which I would argue is better than this non-vibrating turd.

Shin-Ra

A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively) and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone
PS4's currently on 1.52 so the next major feature update should have the headset compatibility.

So you can connect things that don't have a USB port or audio over USB.

Look way worse aesthetically than the Pulse Elites. On the other hand, these will probably not have the awful cracking design flaw.

I like the folding design. It will make transporting this pair easier.

Y0RQI28.jpg

Kinda disappointed about the lack of bass impact. It may be a gimmick, but I enjoyed it in some games. Hopefully Sony has a another pair in the works, but it's doubtful.

Tux

3ibt.png

The original Wireless Stereo Headset for PS3 sounded average compared to the Pulse. But they were very comfortable!!! The controls were easy to use while wearing them. On/off was easy to use (you pressed the side).

grxr.png

The PS3 Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite sounded great! But damn! They hurt my ears and the top of my head after waring them about an hour! Controls were hard to adjust or remember what they did when you had them on your head. Same with turning on and off.

Lets hope they combine the best from each of them into the new one.

I'm assuming these are not the Official Turtle Beach PS4 headsets and Sony's "Gold?" offering?

Found another image gallery from reddit, kinda low res though

http://www.imgur.com/a/5tKYi

The Sony marketing sheet says the release is for February 2014.

Also, the picture on the box has a gold trophy on it, explaining the name. Possibly a silver and platinum version as well?

Wonder if the VSS on the new ones will be just as bad as the pulse elites. If they could make the VSS almost as good as Dolby Headphone I'd strongly consider them.

The PS3 Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite sounded great! But damn! They hurt my ears and the top of my head after waring them about an hour! Controls were hard to adjust or remember what they did when you had them on your head. Same with turning on and off.

I currently use these as my PC gaming headset. My ears feel fine even after a few hours. But holy shit the top of my head. It's like someone was driving pencils into the top of my head. My solution? I used a black sweatband around the band to negate the stupid rails they put on there. Now I can go for hours.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I feel like they're putting nails in the coffin on the Pulse line of headphones :(

Good, the pulse elites are great pair of headphones but the build quality... My left or right side of my headset is bound to crack any day now.

Definitely will pick up this pair, looks like they don't have the same hinge issue.

androvsky

What does Virtual Surround Sound even mean?

In the case of the Pulse line on the PS3, not a whole lot. In theory, very good surround sound can be done with a pair of headphones with the right processing; the Pulse line sounds more like a simple spatializer filter (enhanced stereo effect) than a solid attempt at surround sound.

Fingers crossed the PS4 adds better processing to the current headsets, or at the very least these Gold ones are better.

Stasis

So very true. The Pulse Elite are amazingly uncomfortable on top of the head when compared to anything else I've used: various brands of mid to high end PC gaming sets. Such an oversight or lack of proper testing. I used one of the Logitech G35 extra cushions and some electrical tape to fix that issue. It isn't pretty but it's a lot more bearable. Battery life is also mediocre, and we disagree in that I don't think they sound all that awesome. Pretty average. Decent. Nothing near the aforementioned G35 set, or Corsair 1500, let alone any actual audiophile headphones available for similar prices, or even cheaper. They're just decent wireless jack of all trades. Mic is pretty crappy too.

Hopefully they really improve on them for this iteration. I've been spoiled by PC sets and audiophile phones.

Nags

Banned

Yeah, I have the same issue with it hurting the top of my head. I constantly have to readjust them to put less strain on my skull. The top ends up sitting close to my forehead as a result.

Top Bottom