• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony patents hint at competitor to 'Stadia' and next gen VR headset

cormack12

Gold Member
google-i-o-whats-new-in-gaming-session-stadia-streaming-re3-720x720.jpg

Patent link

Sony has dropped a few patents that could be related to the PlayStation 5 and a next-generation virtual reality headset. One particular patent reads like an answer to Google Stadia and the other focuses on controlling a VR experience using your voice.

A Sony patent revealed a “system for combining recorded application state with application streaming interactive video output.” With this, a game would be fed through a hosting service that can be accessed over the internet via a set-top box, PC, or mobile device. That device transmits the game to a monitor or HD TV and players control it with mouse and keyboard or a controller.

Essentially, this would be PlayStation’s answer to Google Stadia and could launch alongside the PS5 with a separate subscription. Sony and Microsoft aren’t in any danger of losing out on their positions as ideal home gaming solutions yet, but a patent like this one could help to cut into the pie that Google is aiming for. Not every gamer can afford to upgrade their consoles each time a new one comes around and may not be able to buy one at all, so it is possible these streaming solutions could be the perfect answer for them.

The other patent from Sony is “transitioning gameplay on a head-mounted display” and could be related to a next-gen PlayStation VR headset. Specifically, the headset will be listening for vocal input from a person not wearing the HMD and allow the wearer to pause the game and see through an external-facing camera to view the space outside of the headset. This will allow the user to interact with this person and their surroundings without having to take the headset off. This is potentially a safety feature that will prevent collisions with other people or objects in your vicinity when playing in VR. You’re typically wearing headphones and can’t really hear people outside but, with this patent, the headset will be listening for you.

Source: digitalTrends

hey! the eyetoy!

I popped low-res bubbles with that thing!

edit: my mistake. its just a old ass logitech webcam.
qce400.jpg

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Quite interesting reading about active shuttered glasses

An active shutter 3D system (a.k.a. alternate frame sequencing, alternate image, AI, alternating field, field sequential or eclipse method) is a technique of displaying stereoscopic 3D images. It works by only presenting the image intended for the left eye while blocking the right eye's view, then presenting the right-eye image while blocking the left eye, and repeating this so rapidly that the interruptions do not interfere with the perceived fusion of the two images into a single 3D image.

Vawn

Banned
I love PSVR, but there just isn't enough games. If there was more stuff like Astrobot and Moss, I'd use mine a lot more.

I really believe third-person experiences is where VR truly shines. I'd love a good, colorful, light-hearted JRPG in VR.

93xfan

Banned
Loving the race to come up with a laggy steaming service.

Who are these consumers that don’t care about quality, but play on console rather than their phone?

DanielsM

Banned
I love the propaganda articles such as this one are doing... essentially erasing PSNow (and its past and it’s roots in OnLive + Gaikai) from history and calming what Sony is doing as an answer to Stadia... 😔

Yup, article after article. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Or you get the, "what is Sony going to do to respond to Microsoft's nonexistent xCloud?". I feel like I live on Bizarro World.

yurinka

Wouldn't the PSNow be Sony's answer to Stadia? The thing they already have, and had before the Stadia?
Yes, the patent that appear in the OP is for PS Now and was filled in 2014, they just renewed it last year. Seems that the "digital Trends" guys don't know that PS Now exists.

The other PSVR related patent it's also an old patent from 2017 that was also renewed last year.

I don't know why this thread exist.

Shuttered glasses? What year is this?
The patent is from 2014

Last edited:
Top Bottom