• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SSX Interview, Game Renamed, Gets New Screenshots, Art Style, And Game Modes

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...orld-of-mountains-in-ssx.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

There is a new interview with Todd Batty on the Game Informer website. They confirm the game is now called just "SSX" and "Deadly Descents" was just 1 of 3 modes in the game. It sounds like they're trying to ensure us that they haven't forgot about the fun and colorful events from the past. They've also confirmed that more characters will be returning from previous games.

Wario64 said:
mk7dh.jpg

3Ei6p.jpg

qCg1u.jpg

btkadams

they've got it all wrong. they should just call it deadly descents and take the "returning" characters out of the game. don't fuck up the ssx brand. make a new one with a potentially awesome - but totally different from ssx - game.

it seems from the interview that they're trying to calm the fans down lol but i seriously think the whole analog stick trick controls is going to change the game too much for me. it was so perfect before.

EDIT: i'll still give it a chance though. things are definitely looking a loooot better than ssx blops.

~Kinggi~

Banned
They would be wise to stay true to what made the SSX games special. Sounds like they may be heading in the right direction.

I applaud GAF for shunning SSX BLOPS

whitehawk

Banned
soultron said:
So people were having an absolute shitfit over one mode.

Hilarious.
Wasn't out fault. They didn't explain that there would be other modes, they advertised the game as if Deadly Descents was the whole game.

Why would you do that? said:
It would be funny if the other two modes are Multiplayer and Online.

(I don't really believe that, though. I still have hope!)

Trick Descent and Race Descent are the other 2 modes.

reKon

Banned
soultron said:

Hilarious.

yeah well they didn't say anything about it so that's kind of expected, especially for a game with such a fun game experience history like the SSX series

Empty

well i'm glad they changed direction. interested in seeing more now rather than wishing it didn't exist.

soultron said:

Hilarious.
Or it's far more likely this is damage control and they're claiming these other two modes always existed because this is exactly the kind of response they want from people. But hey, I guess you could just take everything at face value too because it suits your purpose of arguing that we've been overreacting all this time and that this game was always going to be great because EA sure are cool guys and Elite 11 shows that they're not afraid to kill a game for being bad if you really want to. Cold, hard facts about the game's development don't matter when we have HOPES AND DREAMS!!!

soultron

Banned
S1kkZ said:
i think its more like the developers put the other modes in because of the backlash.
I don't really think that's the case. The interview explains it well. They also have speed and tricky descents, but wanted to focus on what is new first and foremost.

I AM JOHN! said:
Or it's far more likely this is damage control and they're claiming these other two modes always existed because this is exactly the kind of response they want from people. But hey, I guess you could just take everything at face value too because it suits your purpose of arguing that we've been overreacting all this time and that this game was always going to be great because EA sure are cool guys and Elite 11 shows that they're not afraid to kill a game for being bad if you really want to. Cold, hard facts about the game's development don't matter when we have HOPES AND DREAMS!!!

Either way, I think you'll end up playing the game and enjoying all the new stuff they've thrown in the game. It's some people's lack of openness to change that rubs me the wrong way. That's always been my case with Deadly Descents.

soultron said:

Hilarious.
I don't think it was just a mode.... more like "oh ya......ya....it was just one mode! don't be silly!....we still have color look at these new concepts!!!!! the game is just like the old ones! its just called ssx now! See! there's no reason to kill me! we didn't didnt have dudebro fever we swearz!!!!!!!!

They caved in clear as day.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
soultron said:
I don't really think that's the case. The interview explains it well. They also have speed and tricky descents, but wanted to focus on what is new first and foremost.

So why didn't they explain the stuff in earlier interviews?

This is the game info from day 1 btw:

SSX Deadly Descents Game Info

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
meh. Just make a good snowboard game plz. The tens of people they can potentially win over by doing all these PR backflips aren't worth the time it takes. The majority of SSX fans will probably buy it cus it's SSX and the overwhelming majority doesn't give a fuck how this respects the legacy of tricky.

Also, release some gad dam video :|

Empty

soultron said:

but in the xbox magazine cover story just a few months ago they talk about the structure and don't mention those modes at all.

* Right now, the game is split into 3 main modes. Campaign - where you tackle the 9 Deadly Descents, Explore, and Live Events. Xbox magazine seems to think this last option is for online events.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421568

they also talk about returning characters in that cover, so they aren't just talking about the new.

Stormwatch said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...orld-of-mountains-in-ssx.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

There is a new interview with Todd Batty on the Game Informer website. They confirm the game is now called just "SSX" and "Deadly Descents" was just 1 of 3 modes in the game. It sounds like they're trying to ensure us that they haven't forgot about the fun and colorful events from the past. They've also confirmed that more characters will be returning from previous games.
That's very good to hear. I'm glad they're listening to fan outcry.

I could care less if this stuff was in all the time or if it was being added due to the initial reception. All I care about is that it sounds like SSX is finally back :)

soultron

Banned
Wario64 said:

SSX Deadly Descents Game Info *snip*
I agree that the name change is damage control.

The info you've posted sounds exactly like what the creative director touched upon, in the current interview, with regards to the loose story in place and the description of Deadly Descents "mode" in general.

But who's to say there wasn't always a (smaller) focus on tricks and racing? Those modes might've always been a part of the game as it was before. It seems like they've just been mentioned (or been refocused as larger parts of the game) as to appease fans.

I don't know why it wasn't mentioned in earlier interviews. Maybe, like he said, they wanted to focus on the newer content.

KingJ2002

reKon said:
*slow clap*

i think i'm going to cry... THANK YOU BASED GOD!

Wario64 said:

SSX Deadly Descents Game Info

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

yeah... it's clear that they stepped back and realized no one wanted deadly descents as the core of the game.

soultron said:

Hilarious.
Well, to be fair, that one article that was posted a few days ago made the game sound pretty weird.

I'm still not sure about the 70 mountains thing, I'd rather have one big mountain with 20 courses that are really cool and polished than a shitload of courses that are really bare-bones. Other than that, I have a good feeling for this. I had a lot of fun with SSX 3 and I have been thinking about plugging in my PS2 again to play some of that.

soultron

Banned
close to the edge said:
Well, to be fair, that one article that was posted a few days ago made the game sound pretty weird.

I'm still not sure about the 70 mountains thing, I'd rather have one big mountain with 20 courses that are really cool and polished than a shitload of courses that are really bare-bones. Other than that, I have a good feeling for this. I had a lot of fun with SSX 3 and I have been thinking about plugging in my PS2 again to play some of that.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm in the camp that thinks it could be really, really cool if done right. I'm in the SSX 3 > Tricky camp, so I think that's why I'm so optimistic.

The main menu Google maps thing does sound really bad ass. Can't wait to see it.

I just hope Elise is one of the returning characters.
She is. Read the article.

Curufinwe said:
I almost skipped this thread and missed the good news.

"The only one we’ve committed to at this point is Elise, who is sort of the poster child and cover girl of SSX."

Empty

Curufinwe said:
I almost skipped this thread and missed the good news.

they confirm her in that interview.

So we’re bringing in a lot of returning characters, but we’ll also be introducing new characters. The only one we’ve committed to at this point is Elise, who is sort of the poster child and cover girl of SSX. Each character will also have their own starting equipment to help differentiate each character a little bit in terms of gameplay. Think of fighting games for example. What really starts to draw you to a character is whatever that character can do that others can’t. We want each character to feel like they have their own unique style and abilities.

edit: double beaten

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
soultron said:
I hope that she's only the helicopter, like in the reveal trailer. Just to piss everyone off. Haha.
she could be a transformer.

I still feel a need to actually see the game before I can say I care. I wasn't a huge fan of 3, so if it looks like it'll be too much like that even, I might be passing.

Master Milk said:
I still feel a need to actually see the game before I can say I care. I wasn't a huge fan of 3, so if it looks like it'll be too much like that even, I might be passing.
Really? I thought 3 was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom