• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Ocean 4 scans & info + SO 1&2 scans

I don't care what platform(s) Star Ocean 4 is on, but Motoi Sakuraba better be doing the soundtrack! It wouldn't be Star Ocean without him!

ethelred

Red Blaster said:
Why are they so nervous to unveil the platform.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They didn't disclose the platform for Dawn of Mana for a very long time, leading a lot of people to speculate Wii or GameCube or something like that... but it turned out to be, eventually, PS2.

kammy said:
Why would SE want to release an RPG on the 360?

while star ocean 3 sold well in Japan, it sold tons in America. maybe because of the american appeal, the uncertainty of next-gen hardware, and the works on IU for 360, they're considering Microsoft's console...?

Skilletor

I love Star Ocean, but this makes me wonder why there's more media and info on this game than on Infinite Undiscovery. I was looking forward to a new IP.

Whatever console, first day purchase.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm glad to see another Star Ocean game in the works. I loved SO2 and SO3. However, i hope that they won't use any of the story elements from SO3.
I didn't really like the whole "our entire universe is a online game for the 4D beings twist".

FateBreaker said:
while star ocean 3 sold well in Japan, it sold tons in America. maybe because of the american appeal, the uncertainty of next-gen hardware, and the works on IU for 360, they're considering Microsoft's console...?
Star Ocean 3 in JP sold 700k (550k original + 150k director's cut). I think its around that or a little lower in USA. Its not much more western than FF, for example.

Like ethelred said, its probably SE playing dumb as usual. Like I said in the other thread, they could also be looking how The Last Remnant sells before deciding.

Anyway, if they are developing it with a multiplatform engine or multiplatform in mind...it makes little sense to me to scrap one version...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Star Ocean 3 in JP sold 700k (550k original + 150k director's cut). I think its around that or a little lower in USA. Its not much more western than FF, for example.

700k? My bad. Well, nevertheless, the US version sold equally well (650k I think), so I just think they are perhaps considering multiplatform choices because of it, since 360 is admittedly doing better here right now.

Baryn

Banned
Skilletor said:
I love Star Ocean, but this makes me wonder why there's more media and info on this game than on Infinite Undiscovery. I was looking forward to a new IP.
Skilletor said:
Whatever console, first day purchase.
Skilletor said:
this makes me wonder why there's more media and info on this game than on Infinite Undiscovery.
:/

klee123

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Like ethelred said, its probably SE playing dumb as usual. Like I said in the other thread, they could also be looking how The Last Remnant sells before deciding.

Anyway, if they are developing it with a multiplatform engine or multiplatform in mind...it makes little sense to me to scrap one version...

It was around 400K+ for the directors cut version. Total sales if you include both versions, it sold around a million in Japan.

ethelred

klee123 said:
It was around 400K+ for the directors cut version. Total sales if you include both versions, it sold around a million in Japan.

The director's cut was not 400k+. As Kurosaki said, it was around 150k. Please don't make shit up, it's not nice!

klee123 said:
Mmm I don't know where are you taking that figure from but Famitsu data says:
Code:
Star Ocean 3 		PS2  	386,348  	61,675  	16,690  	[B]533,373[/B]
Star Ocean 3 DC		PS2  	81,629  	25,697  	10,696  	[B]146,859[/B]
SO3 DC (Ultimate Hits)	PS2							[B]29,953[/B]

EDIT: and I'm late for trying to copy ethelred codes...man, its difficult to put it right :p

klee123

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Mmm I don't know where are you taking that figure from but Famitsu data says:
Code:
Star Ocean 3 		PS2  	386,348  	61,675  	16,690  	[B]533,373[/B]
Star Ocean 3 DC		PS2  	81,629  	25,697  	10,696  	[B]146,859[/B]
SO3 DC (Ultimate Hits)	PS2							[B]29,953[/B]

EDIT: and I'm late for trying to copy ethelred codes...man, its difficult to put it right :p

................I got it from Wikipedia, who got their figures from Magicbox.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So, is it safe to assume they're simply using selected parts from the anime as cut-scenes in SO2? I remember seeing a few eps a long time ago, and it basically felt like a re-telling of the story from the game.

J-Rzez

First off, thankfully this is hitting either the PS3, 360, or both... I'd prefer this, like many other RPG's, to hit the PS3 exclusively though, just for the simple fact of using Blu-Ray (swapping discs really does suck)... But either way, i'm happy it's hitting a console that can do the game justice... I really like the SO's, and, I really liked SO3... Yeah, the story had it's wtf moments, but I enjoyed the game...

I wonder how "different" the battle system feels... hopefully it didn't stray too far from SO3 since i really liked the change of pace from the other combat systems out there...

And yes, WTF at the hero's name, lol...

J-Rzez

shidoshi said:
Here's hoping Square Enix doesn't listen to people like this, and makes SO4 like SO3. Absolutely loved the gameplay.

No doubt, i loved the breath of fresh air that combat system had...

Kusagari

dai said:
sometimes i think i'm the only person on this forum with good taste in games. so3 an abomination? what the hell, dude?

An RPG that focuses as much on the story as SO3 lives or dies by that story, and SO3 has quite possibly the worst story in video game history.

SO3 was actually a fun game. I enjoyed it a lot. So I just hope that SO4 is as good as SO3 and more.

As for platform, hmmm, Ps3 as I have that system. Lol.

QVT said:
I really didn't like what was apparently SO3. So maybe I'll get the PSP ones or the new one. But I dunno. Can someone explain to me what the first two were like? Final Fantasy esque or that horribly laggy "real time" battle stuff?

It's real time battles, but imagine this, you only press x to attack and the enemies can't block, all skills take MP, and you have four characters. Basically, it's a battle system made of win.

With how often I played SO2 and how good I got at it, I just was unable to accept the changes.

tehbear

I hope the development effort is pretty far in. RPG wait is driving me nuts while I stare at WA5's aged exterior.

I thought both SO3 and SO2 was aight, so either style would be fine. Nothing beat the virgin experience of SO1 for me though, but the new polish is gonna help lots.

X26 said:
Hope it's better than the abomination that was SO3

Nevermind

You know, it takes special talent to craft a name more vomit-inducing than "Fate Linegod", but by God, the lads at Tri-Ace were up to the task. I feel confident they can make him more ineffectual and unlikable than good ol' Fate, too.

They are remaking Star Ocean 1/2 for the PSP?

Nice, I missed out on those games with Star Ocean 2 on PS1 and Star Ocean 1 of course never actually being released here.

soul

FortunateSon said:
SO3 was actually a fun game. I enjoyed it a lot. So I just hope that SO4 is as good as SO3 and more.

As for platform, hmmm, Ps3 as I have that system. Lol.

I really can't understand how some people actually enjoyed SO3. That game sucked so much -_-

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SO3 was probably my biggest disappointment in the history of gaming :( The item creation was neutered, private actions were much more subtle and underused, combat felt very off, AI sucked, some parts required way too much in the way of grinding (Moonbase especially), and oh god the plot twist... graphics, music, and dungeons were awesome though.

I'm praying SO4 goes back to the series roots, the whole traveling to a whole assortment of planets gets my hope up, reminds me of the best RPG series ever!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
djtiesto said:
SO3 was probably my biggest disappointment in the history of gaming :( The item creation was neutered, private actions were much more subtle and underused, combat felt very off, AI sucked, some parts required way too much in the way of grinding (Moonbase especially), and oh god the plot twist... graphics, music, and dungeons were awesome though.

I'm praying SO4 goes back to the series roots, the whole traveling to a whole assortment of planets gets my hope up, reminds me of the best RPG series ever!

QFT man I waited for the damn game for 3 years only to be really pissed off, this game single handily killed Star Ocean for me GOD the plot twist dammit, but I have high hopes for SO4 and the remakes for the psp.

Ive never understood the SO3 haters, the game was basically SO2 except in 3-D. While I still prefer SO2 over SO3. I had a good time with it, and the trophies were a lot of fun.

Lightning

Banned
Yes, this is going to be good. Remake SO1 & 2 on the PSP and put SO4 on the 360... LOL

I am hoping for the PS3 since that is the system I own. :lol

tribal24

Banned
depends on where they wanna sell star ocean if they think they can get more sales in jp then on ps3 but most likely i see so4 on 360

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
J-Rzez said:
First off, thankfully this is hitting either the PS3, 360, or both... I'd prefer this, like many other RPG's, to hit the PS3 exclusively though, just for the simple fact of using Blu-Ray (swapping discs really does suck)... But either way, i'm happy it's hitting a console that can do the game justice... I really like the SO's, and, I really liked SO3... Yeah, the story had it's wtf moments, but I enjoyed the game...

I wonder how "different" the battle system feels... hopefully it didn't stray too far from SO3 since i really liked the change of pace from the other combat systems out there...

And yes, WTF at the hero's name, lol...

swapping discs is not that bad I did it on PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Saturn, Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox 360.
I hope it is for both PS3 and xbox 360. more love for everybody.

TransTrender

Gold Member
dai said:
sometimes i think i'm the only person on this forum with good taste in games. so3 an abomination? what the hell, dude?
So3 managed to be a far greater pain in the balls than Dragon Quest 8 at its worst.

X26

Banned
shidoshi said:
Here's hoping Square Enix doesn't listen to people like this, and makes SO4 like SO3. Absolutely loved the gameplay.

Well the battle system was good, REALLY good actually, but it didn't make up for how bad everything else was

TransTrender

Gold Member
PillowKnight said:
Ive never understood the SO3 haters, the game was basically SO2 except in 3-D. While I still prefer SO2 over SO3. I had a good time with it, and the trophies were a lot of fun.
I dunno, I distinctly remember So2 kicking ass (and I look forward to playing it again on my PSP) but So3...felt...awful.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Elbrain said:
this game single handily killed Star Ocean for me GOD the plot twist dammit
I seriously spat at my TV, screamed, thew my controller down in disgust, yelled some more, called some friends who were currently playing the game and yelled at them to stop playing because the big plot twist makes you want to die.

MCD

dai said:

It was tolerable till that plot twist.

Angelo

PillowKnight said:

To me it's vice versa. I enjoyed the game but the trophy thing kinda hold me off a little bit and that because I'm a perfectionists when it comes to JRPG games. Some of the trophies were extremely hard to obtain (especially the ones you get by not receiving a single damage from bosses). I didn't have the courage to "just play the game" until after a year from its release when I had serious RPG drought. That when I actually finished the damn thing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
More reasons to get a PSP >.< Well, unless SO2 isn't very different from the PS version since I still own that one. But I dunno what they could add since the game felt pretty complete to me heck it even had an extra bonus dungeon of pain like most remade rpgs get so ???

Kiriku said:
So, is it safe to assume they're simply using selected parts from the anime as cut-scenes in SO2? I remember seeing a few eps a long time ago, and it basically felt like a re-telling of the story from the game.

Yeah but the anime only went up to the end of disc 1's part of the story. They'd have to make new scenes for stuff afterwards!

Jiggy

Killdozer said:
I seriously spat at my TV, screamed, thew my controller down in disgust, yelled some more, called some friends who were currently playing the game and yelled at them to stop playing because the big plot twist makes you want to die.
I had a friend who I asked about how SO3 was and his experience was pretty similar to yours. Sucked for me to find out, since SO2 was and is my favorite single-player RPG and I knew he loved SO2 also. :(

crowphoenix said:
It's real time battles, but imagine this, you only press x to attack and the enemies can't block, all skills take MP, and you have four characters. Basically, it's a battle system made of win.

With how often I played SO2 and how good I got at it, I just was unable to accept the changes.
Enemies can block in SO2. Not all of them, but a good number.

But yeah, greatest battle system ever. Can't neglect to mention that you don't even have to press block yourself and parrying is automatic.
And starting to be able to link Killer Moves about halfway through the game, another great aspect of the battle system. And the moves gaining in power and changing as you use them more.
And the AI characters reacting to their friends/love interests getting hurt in battle, and pairing up to fight alongside them.
And the skill system letting you load up on interesting mid-battle effects.
And having some incentive to beat battles quickly because you regain more HP and MP after the battle's over.
And all the jumping around fighting aerial enemies until your characters end up stacked on top of each other in human pyramid by the time the victory screen rolls around.
And watching like three dozen damage markers appear over enemies' heads, overlapping each other because of your multi-hit attacks and the fact that you're swarming around enormous bosses attacking from all sides like a group of humanoid piranha tearing them into pieces one hit at a time while Claude outright yells "TEAR INTO PIECES" just to make the moment complete.

...Yeah, I think it's just about time for another play through PS1 Star Ocean 2. :eek:

Lindsay said:
More reasons to get a PSP >.< Well, unless SO2 isn't very different from the PS version since I still own that one. But I dunno what they could add since the game felt pretty complete to me heck it even had an extra bonus dungeon of pain like most remade rpgs get so ???
Oh no, SO2 has not "an" but rather the extra bonus dungeon of pain, the bonus dungeon that takes 25% as long to beat as the main game and yet gets you to 250-300% the levels you were at to beat the last boss.
Pure. Raw. Awesome. :D
That said, if they add another one I'm not complaining, but I'm almost in the same boat as you. I have no clue what they can add to this game, other than just having portability and (hopefully) better voice acting and English translation. Maybe more fleshed-out endings, or an ending viewer, or some kind of New Game+... I don't know. It's a stretch.

Top Bottom