• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars: The Old Republic screenshots (it looks much better) **56k warning**

DogWelder

r9oo52.jpg

2vjwj6h.jpg

2gy0g2h.jpg

208dxk1.jpg

2sbx21k.jpg

More:
http://i44.tinypic.com/9sqfyd.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/33cpzqu.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2qu3edz.jpg

You know, I really want to be interested in this. I really do. But something about it... I don't know. It's not that it's not KotOR III, but MMOs seem like such suicide missions these days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Much better is an understatement...

Where's the photoshops/old thread for comparison?

kuYuri

Well, of course it will look better. I can't imagine Bioware would make it with crappier graphics as development progresses.

DogWelder

Epcott said:
Crazy question...
Is this PC only, or 360, or has the platform been mentioned/verified yet?
It's PC only "for now", but during the Q&A session at the unveiling they said they were considering other platforms.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
NinjaFromTheFuture said:
I still can't stop raging over the fact that this game is an MMO. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

Sorry if this seems trollish but goddamn... DICK MOVE.

As someone who beat both KOTOR 1 and 2 several times over, I agree that I'm still a bit on the fence for this one...

Darklord

Banned
If they get the story telling right in this game where it REALLY makes a difference and your choices change your character that will be a huge step in MMO gaming.

I can't wait. SWG might have been flawed but it proved that Star Wars has the PERFECT setting for an MMO.

This..does not look half bad. Might be the second MMO I'm half interested in, especially so if the microtransaction rumors come to pass.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's still a MMO guys. It's not going to change. Bioware/EA want to try for the huge megabucks with this one.

Zen

Banned
I think people need to give this a chance. They have said repeatedly that your actions will have a huge impact on the world. Think the phased geometry (where the world in WoW changes now for your player, but not others who hasn't done some of the stuff you have) except probably much more in depth, and this is BIOWARE we're talking about. They'll bring the goods.

TreIII

Darklord said:
Why do people have such a hatred of MMO's?

I don't think it's so much a hatred of MMOs (or at least I don't, I just don't care about 'em! :lol ) so much it's just more the thing that, most of us were wanting KOTOR III/sequel proper...and we got this instead. It's one of those "knife through the heart" kinda deals...

Darklord

Banned
aerts1js said:
they are boring imo.

Also, HUGE lack of story/direction.

Edit: Not to mention the time investment. urgh. =/

They are making story a key part of this game and not "Darth Malak is planning an attack. Get me 12 Rancor teeth to help me stop him" but story lines that change your character. You don't start out good or evil. It's like the other kotors. You also get AI followers.

I think it's kinda cool that your choices effect you so much. You can't kill a character then reload and see what happens if you save him. If you kill him, he's dead.

I agree Kotor 3 would have been better but come on...kotor 2 was pretty average. It was a mess in every aspect.

Druz

Darklord said:
Why do people have such a hatred of MMO's?

Because it pretty much assures that any actual game will be stretched out over long periods of time to the point of it not being any fun.

I think I saw some recent screens in a magazine or something and it did look better. Also it has been stated that the lightsabers are going scaled down.

Honestly this seems pretty interesting now, but I'm probably not willing to upgrade my PC to play it. It's also still a shame that we won't see KotOR 3 anytime soon. Still I'm a lot more open to giving this one a shot.

Xiaoki

Nirolak said:
Well, I can't say anything about time commitment or how fun it will be, but they've had over 12 full-time writers on this for several years now so I doubt there will be a lack of story.

(Source for those who are curious: http://www.massively.com/2008/10/31/swtors-lead-writer-describes-biowares--ambitious/)
Your logic has no place here, this is a topic about MMOs on NeoGAF. Only irrational hate and crazy assumptions based on nothing is allowed.

Hopefully the story based good and evil choices pans out, that would actually be interesting. Because the screen shots and the time period are not grabbing me. I have nothing against the Old republic setting itself but its not nearly as interesting a setting for an MMO. Star wars Galaxies was a piece of crap but at least it was set during the original movies. Walking into the Mos Eisley cantina as a Twi'Lek bounty hunter was pretty cool.

Owzers

Xiaoki said:
Your logic has no place here, this is a topic about MMOs on NeoGAF. Only irrational hate and crazy assumptions based on nothing is allowed.

Hopefully the story based good and evil choices pans out, that would actually be interesting. Because the screen shots and the time period are not grabbing me. I have nothing against the Old republic setting itself but its not nearly as interesting a setting for an MMO. Star wars Galaxies was a piece of crap but at least it was set during the original movies. Walking into the Mos Eisley cantina as a Twi'Lek bounty hunter was pretty cool.

Every developer SAYS their game has some super awesome story. Remember Gears and Gears 2? Haze?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
sillymonkey321 said:
Every developer SAYS their game has some super awesome story. Remember Gears and Gears 2? Haze?

Yea, but BioWare has a record of creating good story after good story so their word is a little more trust worthy.

This is one of the MMOs I'm interested in and I'm really impressed by the updated screenshots. Hype rising...

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
I still can't stop raging over the fact that this game is an MMO. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

Sorry if this seems trollish but goddamn... DICK MOVE.
I'm right there with you.....it's cruel to non MMO people who loved KotOR like myself

Darklord

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:

Unlike those games. Bioware is counting of story to make there game different from the other 800 MMO's.

Darklord

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
I love it when an MMO fails, hopefully this one will. This genre must be destroyed.

I'm sure an old republic game bombing will prompt them to make another really quickly, huh?

Darklord said:
I'm sure an old republic game bombing will prompt them to make another really quickly, huh?

KOTOR is dead. The soryline Obsidian was building towards (Revan and the True Sith Empire) was killed off and now we see the half-baked attempt to reconcile it with an MMO friendly scenario. At this point I don't see how a KOTOR III is even possible. This genre kills every good series it touches, and considering nearly every MMO but WoW has either failed terribly or only had middling success I'm surpries people continue to make them. I'm just happy Bioware made Mass Effect whilst they butchered its spiritual predecessor.

Darklord

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
KOTOR is dead. The soryline Obsidian was building towards (Revan and the True Sith Empire) was killed off and now we see the half-baked attempt to reconcile it with an MMO friendly scenario. At this point I don't see how a KOTOR III is even possible. This genre kills every good series it touches, and considering nearly every MMO but WoW has either failed terribly or only had middling success I'm surpries people continue to make them. I'm just happy Bioware made Mass Effect whilst they butchered its spiritual predecessor.

What true sith empire? If they wanted to build up to that, why leave reven out of kotor 2 completely?

Yazus

Guys, WoW is nearly 5 years old now. EA is trying in every ways to kill him fastly. Warhammer anyone? Now this. Surely EA is trying to kill Blizzard. But they also know that Blizzard is developing a next generation MMORPG. That's why they are probably trying to do:
Warhammer vs WoW
SKOTOR vs Next gen MMO

Speculation surely, and for someone this can be batshit. But i'm sure EA would be pleased to steal some Blizzy MMO despotic marketing for sure.

Top Bottom