• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam UI coming soon

Hope this UI features drag&drop support and other QoL features like being able to properly catergorize games, or search your own library by tags and stuff.

This is stuff people have been asking for for ages now.

Exuro

Hope this UI features drag&drop support and other QoL features like being able to properly catergorize games, or search your own library by tags and stuff.

This is stuff people have been asking for for ages now.
Search by tags would be great. I've had to search the steam store for finding what local coop games I have in my library due to the lack of search options.

ghostjoke

Banned
Please don't be a bloated piece of garbage that has me messing with with scroll wheel settings like half of the UI overhauls in recent times. The current one isn't winning any competitions, but it's functional.

leburn98

Let me rename and reorder my games, client side. I'm tired of series being out of order or some games having random caps and symbols while their sequels or prequels do not. I know you can alter some text files to rename them, but it isn't permanent and still doesn't fix the ordering issue.
Yah this is something I want the most. Even if it's just the ability to add a 'Sort name' option under properties for each game. For those that use Launch Box or similar programs you will know what I mean. So basically it will look like this:
  • Tomb Raider
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
But the sort field is actually this:

• Tomb Raider 2013
  • Tomb Raider 2015

However, regarding the current Steam client, one of the workarounds I do is to create a shortcut to the game you want to rename, then re-add the game into Steam as you would any non-Steam game by using the shortcut file as the .exe. Then it's only a matter of hiding the original.

This is not ideal but its a workaround, that unlike the text file editing method, does not disappear.

Dinjoralo

What is peoples problem with the UI? It doesn't look "outdated", it just has problems with stuff being really hidden, stuff that should be a bit obvious.

Apart from that, it functions well.
I can think of a few problems.
  • Thick as hell bezels and generally lots of wasted space.
  • Buttons for random shit like redeeming game codes.
  • Bad low-DPI font rendering, which could be blamed on their font of choice, Motiva Sans.
  • Settings in desktop relying on opening big picture windows to change certain settings.
A lot of this is why I use a skin, mostly to make the window borders less thick.

Doubt they're gonna improve upon what I've already got going with Steam Metro. If anything, they'll probably just break Steam Metro and force me into using whatever mess they come up with.

Dunno how Steam is as damn broken and slow as it is. Almost made me happy solely for that reason when Destiny 2 was revealed to be coming to Bnet instead.

Good! I hope it looks close to the images we had shown earlier this year.
?

Valve please...

8WWwbtL.png
Is that 4k?

How do you navigate your actual desktop? I'm only 1440p, and everything's still too small when compared to 1080p.

DJ_Lae

I don't care too much about any appearance changes (though they would be nice), just give me the option to actually search and filter my own library. That I have to use third party webpages to do so is ridiculous.

Let me do all the controller configuration stuff with a keyboard / mouse based setup in-game. Don't force me to use a controller based UI (Steam Big Picture) just because I want to use a Steam Controller (or other controller with configuration enabled). Basically if they redo stuff to have complete parity with in-game big picture while in desktop mode then I will be happy. Also let me sort my library by store data (coop, tags, etc).

jediyoshi

Yah this is something I want the most. Even if it's just the ability to add a 'Sort name' option under properties for each game. For those that use Launch Box or similar programs you will know what I mean. So basically it will look like this:
  • Tomb Raider
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
But the sort field is actually this:

• Tomb Raider 2013
  • Tomb Raider 2015

However, regarding the current Steam client, one of the workarounds I do is to create a shortcut to the game you want to rename, then re-add the game into Steam as you would any non-Steam game by using the shortcut file as the .exe. Then it's only a matter of hiding the original.

This is not ideal but its a workaround, that unlike the text file editing method, does not disappear.

IIRC, internally, Steam offers this functionality to developers to implement themselves as far as sorting goes.

I'd settle for the ability to activate more than one code in a row. It take like 6 clicks each code you need to add to your library. Origin solved this problem years ago.

data

I just want to use the current desktop client but have the game automatically launch with the BPM overlay.

I PC game console style form the couch, and the desktop client is perfectly usable, but I like the BPM notifications in game.

You can already launch a game with the BPM overlay.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I just want to use the current desktop client but have the game automatically launch with the BPM overlay.

I PC game console style form the couch, and the desktop client is perfectly usable, but I like the BPM notifications in game.

You know you can enable BPM on desktop startup right?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm weird but I just want it to look like a regular windows program. Just give it aero support, visual basic dialogs/menus/dropdowns, keep it simple like most progra, keep memory use down. I want a regular chrome/firefox clone browser for the store. I hate custom program UIs. They always feel terrible, look terrible, and are sllllooowww. Steam is not exempt, it's very sluggish for me.

Coreda

the real problem is you people who have giant monitors and want to fill them with a single window

More sites could better utilize horizontal space for such widescreen desktop resolutions. That was meant to be one of the benefits of responsive design but it's extremely rare to see. Even big picture mode is better at filling the space when browsing, though I'm not sure how well it scales for ultrawide monitors.

Did I read the second slide right? There's going to be some kind of instant start / on mode like the ps4 has?

That's a game changer if true.

xemumanic

All I want is touch screen support. I'm not even too interested in the UI, unless they make it worse.

I already hate/like the update to the Big Picture Mode UI depending on my mood.

Pretty sure Gabe sent a spy over to a random Redmond café to find someone from Visual Studio team, to get the $5000 business license for free, so they could update the layout from Visual Studio 2003 to 2018 for free. Spy was also reported back on the lawsuit against Australian government and Billions stashed in Valve Europe

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seeing this title popping up constantly reminds me of

sign-tin-tomorrow.jpg

"Soon"

TimFL

Every time I see this thread bumped I expect a link to a blog post/store page detailing the overhaul.
At least we got a few hints via tweets.

Valdega

It's straight up terrible at the moment. It has a ton of features that are buried beneath menus and under settings that don't make sense. Adding friends was a nightmare (couldn't remember what my user name was and spent 5mins trying to find it), family sharing wasn't the most intuitive thing to set up and the recommendation system is bust.

Uh, it shows you your username in giant, bold letters next to the giant, bold Community button.

Anyway, features I'd like to see:
- Key verification without requiring activation.
- Optional IM censorship (it's not optional currently).
- Don't automatically show install prompt when activating keys.
- Everything already available in the Enhanced Steam plugin.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

I wish they'd finally show F2P games you've played in your games library. Right now, once you install the client on another computer, your library only displays games you've bought.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You know what Steam needs? A little "X" on the corner of the friends popup in the corner.

As something who works with max a lot, there really isn't much that's more annoying than a friend coming online the exact second you need to use a tool on the screen that it covers... And yes, that happens a lot :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Uh, it shows you your username in giant, bold letters next to the giant, bold Community button.

First of all, thanks for using and enjoying Enhanced Steam!

Secondly, I recommend using the web key activation now because it's a whole lot faster and doesn't give you install prompts. Sadly, it can't do key verification without redemption. If you're using Enhanced Steam, you can click on your username and select "Activate a product" from the drop down menu. :)

TimFL

Are you talking about the Steam client? You can verify keys there now without redeeming them. It tells you what the key activates and asks you to confirm the activation before continuing.

Top Bottom