• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam UI coming soon

drotahorror

You know what Steam needs? A little "X" on the corner of the friends popup in the corner.

As something who works with max a lot, there really isn't much that's more annoying than a friend coming online the exact second you need to use a tool on the screen that it covers... And yes, that happens a lot :D

Just set it up to where only certain friends pop up. If you have that set where it pops up everytime any friend gets on then that's on you. I only have it set where 2 friends will have a pop up when they get on and that's it.

You can right click a friend in your friends list and look at the notification options on a friend-by-friend basis. Otherwise just keep everything off

Bolivar687

Banned
Would be nice to see players recently met in games. I stomped a new player in Dawn of War III who only had a few games under his belt and wanted to offer to practice if he ever needed help but there was no way to message him.

Would be nice to see players recently met in games. I stomped a new player in Dawn of War III who only had a few games under his belt and wanted to offer to practice if he ever needed help but there was no way to message him.
You already can, your Profile> Friends> Recently Played With tab

Link1110

I'm scared. The few times I opened big picture move it took a million years to load and then again to close. I just hope the basic client doesnt turn into that. The updates anyway annoy me enough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I didn`t know that.

I think that is a huge inherit problem with Steam, and one that I'm kinda uniquely familiar with. There is quite a bit of functionality that's "hidden" in the sense that it's not really linked anywhere useful or that there are several sometimes nonsensical hoops the user has to jump through to get where they want to be.

In this particular case, you probably didn't know to look in the profile -> friends tab because logically that would be a place just for already established friends, not randos you played games with. The current Steam UI is literally littered with these sorts of head-scratching design decisions.

Hopefully they take a lot of these use-cases into account with the new UI design and make it smarter rather than (what I'm sure we all fear) dumbing it down.

Bolivar687

Banned
You already can, your Profile> Friends> Recently Played With tab

Just checked it out, "You do not have any play history for this day." Just played a couple games. Maybe it's integrated differently by different developers? I know the in-game Shift+Tab interface doesn't come up in every game for me if FRAPS is on... it's weird.

Top Bottom