• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study estimates college football team valuations, three teams are over $1 billion

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/how-much-is-your-college-football-team-worth/ar-AAsj2Dz

The college football season is in full swing and the picture for this year’s College Football Playoff is still as jumbled as it was in February. But there’s one question we can answer: Which team is the most valuable?

That would be Ohio State, which has surged to a $1.5 billion valuation, according to an analysis by Ryan Brewer, an associate professor of finance at Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus. That’s a 59.6% increase in value for a program that was already worth the most nationally according to the study, which analyzes what each team would be worth on the open market if sold like a professional sports franchise.

Texas ($1.24 billion) and Oklahoma ($1 billion) round out the three programs worth an estimated 10 figures.
With five of the top-10 programs, the SEC has the highest average team value at $523 million, followed by the Big Ten ($416 million) and Big 12 ($376 million).

The study broke down each program’s most recently available revenues and expenses, from 2016, making cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections. Across the sport, the value of Football Bowl Subdivision teams spiked by 26% over the 2015 numbers, the product of cash flows that rose 24% and revenues that grew by 19%.

One factor, Brewer noted, is that while the NFL has faced ratings declines in the last year, the same hasn’t been true in the college game. “It’s been tremendous,” he said. “So far this season, we can confirm that college football is still strongly attended and strongly viewed.”

Overall, he adds concerns over concussions, youth participation in football and trends in media consumption could be questions for the sport going forward.

Although Ohio State leads the way, Brewer says it’s easy to envision Texas passing the Buckeyes in the not-too-distant future. The Longhorns boast the highest adjusted revenue ($145 million), but still trail in overall value because of the Buckeyes’ success under Urban Meyer and middling recent on-field performance at Texas, a school going on its third coach in the last five years. But that’s contingent on the Longhorns playing like the superpower they’re supposed to be.

The full list from https://graphics.wsj.com/table/COUNT_09212017?embed=1

Code:
1  Ohio State		1,510,482,000
2  Texas		1,243,124,000
3  Oklahoma		1,001,967,000
4  Alabama		  930,001,000
5  LSU			  910,927,000
6  Michigan		  892,951,000
7  Notre Dame		  856,938,000
8  Georgia		  822,310,000
9  Tennessee 		  745,640,000
10  Auburn		  724,191,000
11  Florida		  682,031,000
12  Penn State		  549,497,000
13  Texas A & M		  522,863,000
14  Nebraska		  507,679,000
15  South Carolina	  484,757,000
16  Iowa 		  483,564,000
17  Arkansas		  456,153,000
18  Wisconsin 		  439,379,000
19  Washington 		  434,313,000
20  Florida State 	  385,339,000
21  Oregon 		  368,529,000
22  Michigan State 	  336,794,000
23  Mississippi 	  330,503,000
24  Clemson 		  328,411,000
25  Southern California   324,195,000
26  Arizona State	  315,412,000
27  UCLA 		  314,436,000
28  Kentucky		  287,589,000
29  Oklahoma State	  285,293,000
30  Kansas State	  277,203,000
31  Virginia Tech	  269,883,000
32  Minnesota		  260,264,000
33  Miami of Florida	  254,502,000
34  Texas Tech		  246,871,000
35  Miss State		  230,655,000
36  Stanford 		  225,479,000
37  California Berkeley	  220,017,000
38  Georgia Tech	  212,068,000
39  Utah		  206,365,000
40  Colorado		  203,533,000
41  Iowa State 		  196,973,000
42  North Carolina State  191,813,000
43  Kansas		  183,031,000
44  Indiana		  178,168,000
45  Virginia		  168,534,000
46  Northwestern	  163,315,000
47  Louisville		  160,899,000
48  Texas Christian	  153,631,000
49  Maryland		  147,608,000
50  North Carolina	  147,179,000

shira

giphy.gif

These are just teams. Not even the league, but individual teams.

Pay these kids, man.

And Roll Tide to all those teams being so valuable but not being able to top the giant in Tuscaloosa.

All that money made by the players they see none of it outside of (MAYBE) their lunch plans being paid for.

Try free tutoring, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, gym memberships, personal training, room and board, apparel and coaching.

Ohh and not to mention football and maybe basketball have to pay for every other sport.

Boggles my mind how every time this comes up how ignorant people are of college sports.

A. the players don't have it that bad.
B. you just can't pay them due to Title IX
C. Probably be worse off if you did pay them anyways.

Darkman M

Try free tutoring, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, gym memberships, personal training, room and board, apparel and coaching.

Ohh and not to mention football and maybe basketball have to pay for every other sport.

Boggles my mind how every time this comes up how ignorant people are of college sports.

Wow free lunch and boarding while they use you likeness to make billions. Recently didn't they make a student athlete shut down his YouTube for making money? NCAA is trash.

Including gym memberships and personal trianing? lol yeah no crap they HAVE to work out five days a week or they lose their scholarships.

Unless you make the contracts guaranteed money, which the NFL doesn't even really do (unless you're a franchise player), these kids are going to get processed a lot faster to make room for more "scholarships". These kids are going to be out on their asses even earlier in their lives, and this time without a degree.

I think they should be compensated in some way, but if it turns into NFL Lite with big contracts and kids being cut/fired on a weekly basis, I'm not sure people are going to be happy with the change.

It's a discussion that needs to be had, but I don't think the answer is as easy as some people believe.

wait is that seriously an argument you just proposed

edit: wait actually is c really an argument you proposed too? what the fuck

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there any good research on the fate of kids who get "degrees" but fail to make it into pro leagues. How beneficial was that education to them financially and socially.

and every single bit of it can happily be taken away if you get injured playing sportz and can't perform anymore.

Boggles my mind how every time this comes up how willing people are to turn a blind eye to the athlete's situation cuz Muh Sportz, even when presented with how ridiculously profitable the venture is.

Kareem Abdul-Jabar went through it and calls it what it is: exploitation.

Seriously, 41 coaches in ncaa basketball are raking in over a million yearly. The NCAA prez gets a cool two mil. Fuck off with the excuses that athletes are getting a good deal, or that the extra dosh is funding everything else. Even if that is true to an extent, there's still enough dosh to give the students better monetary rewards.

Is there any good research on the fate of kids who get "degrees" but fail to make it into pro leagues. How beneficial was that education to them financially and socially.

At least here in columbus, playing for Ohio state is a huge in with local companies. A lot go into sales because a lot of people will buy houses, insurance,
Cars etc from those guys just to say they did

Unless you make the contracts guaranteed money, which the NFL doesn't even really do (unless you're a franchise player), these kids are going to get processed a lot faster to make room for more "scholarships". These kids are going to be out on their asses even earlier in their lives, and this time without a degree.

I think they should be compensated in some way, but if it turns into NFL Lite with big contracts and kids being cut/fired on a weekly basis, I'm not sure people are going to be happy with the change.

It's a discussion that needs to be had, but I don't think the answer is as easy as some people believe.

Definitely isn't. Football pays for so much within a school. More can be done, though, just not to the extreme I think a lot of people desire.

Fail to see how that goes against your statement. Last time literally "topped" you

Oh, you see.

Such a thing as sore winners

We get it. Roll Tide.

Aww

Slo

On average, it takes a University of Iowa grad 6.5 years to earn a Bachelor's degree. Normal football scholarships are only 4 years. You do the math.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
And Ohio State is over here sending me emails asking for a donation

That will never not make me laugh. I can't conceive of a reason why you would ever donate to your college. You paid them for your education, this transaction is over.

That will never not make me laugh. I can't conceive of a reason why you would ever donate to your college. You paid them for your education, this transaction is over.

I had to work for my school's fund one summer and call alumni to ask them to give back.

I felt like a whore.

platocplx

You’ve clearly never played a college sport. Lol. Anything D1 or even D2 is intense as hell and you miss out on a lot because of you aren’t practicing you are in class and many teams have shit nearly year round athletes have to do to stay in shape. I’ve missed plent spring breaks, had to be on campus when other students were gone etc. even if these teams supplimented other sports it doesn’t make a great case they could literally make every amateur sport into paid leauges if they wanted to under the NCAA umbrella and scale pay on every sport.

I’ll only donate my time to students never giving those bastards a cent.

Top Bottom