• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

Aeana

Akselziys said:
OMG! As long as it has to do with mainline Suikoden and not Tierkreis I'll be on cloud 9 :3 :3!
Seems like something totally unrelated once again, like Tierkreis.

duckroll

Oh dear. Oh oh dear Konami. This is not what Suikoden fans want. Lol. This is going further and further into the ballsack of Suikoden Tactics, Suikoden 4 and Suikoden DS. The trailer going "A brand new million worlds story" is such a horrible sign. Classic Suikoden is truly dead. Lolz.

Ok, now in the back of my head I was thinking their would be a Suikoden announcement at TGS. After I saw the Konami thread with the grandpa simpson gif's I figured it was a pipe dream.

Needless to say, I am very happy about this as long as its nothing like Tierkries.

For it to be for PSP, I would think the development is quite a ways along, since it's not for PSV.

Hopefully this makes it stateside!

Edit: Oh god looks like Tierkries/non cannon garbage. So long Pesmerga/Yuber/Harmonia story arcs.

Aeana

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
Ok, now in the back of my head I was thinking their would be a Suikoden announcement at TGS. After I saw the Konami thread with the grandpa simpson gif's I figured it was a pipe dream.

Needless to say, I am very happy about this as long as its nothing like Tierkries.

For it to be for PSP, I would think the development is quite a ways along, since it's not for PSV.

Hopefully this makes it stateside!
As duckroll pointed out, it's a million worlds story. So yes, expect something like Tierkreis absolutely.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Oh dear. Oh oh dear Konami. This is not what Suikoden fans want. Lol. This is going further and further into the ballsack of Suikoden Tactics, Suikoden 4 and Suikoden DS. The trailer going "A brand new million worlds story" is such a horrible sign. Classic Suikoden is truly dead. Lolz.
So, it is Suikoden DS's sequel? Personally, I enjoyed the game, but I did sort of run though it, I think I only had around 50 characters when I finished. Once I realized I already missed some, I just went "fuck it"

Also, I still say that while Suikoden 3 had the better plot, Suikoden 4 was better at actually being an enjoyable game. Suikoden's entire battle system and world need to be flat out scrapped and redone, it is just horrible. There is one good dungeon in the game (It is also the only one to not be a bunch of brown ruins and caves), and a minimal amount of unique story bosses.

!

!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy! Konami USA better bring this over.

Aeana said:
Seems like something totally unrelated once again, like Tierkreis.

Are you saying that just based on the title, or do you know for sure?

duckroll

I'll personally translate the subtitle as "Centennial Tapestry". It sounds nice and I think it fits the implied message.

Aeana

Gunloc said:
!

!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy! Konami USA better bring this over.

Are you saying that just based on the title, or do you know for sure?
It's certain. Tierkreis had the million worlds thing, so does this. Old Suikoden is dead.

Alex

If it's good (doubtful, of course, I'd really love to see something around Suikoden V's quality though) it'd probably get a fan translation, heck even Grand Knight's History is getting one.

Not preferable, but sometimes you just have to take your scraps and jump through your hoops and be thankful for what you can get.

Aeana

Gunloc said:
The million world things was present in the canon mainline Suikoden too.
Well, feel free to be optimistic. But the million worlds thing really just lets them distance themselves from the established lore freely.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gunloc said:
Wasn't it implied the world of the main Suikoden games was the "main" world, since it is the only one shown so far to contain the 27 true runes?

Aeana said:
Well, feel free to be optimistic.
I gotta be.

Suikoden is my favorite series and I can't believe that they'd do another Tierkreisesque thing after the really poor reception the first one had. Frankly, the PSP thing worried me more right now.

Need more info. *starts twitching*

duckroll

Gunloc said:

I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the game no matter what it is. Don't let any of us put a damper on that! Nevermind that the game is specifically a million worlds story spanning the course of a hundred years. Nevermind that all the alternate world stories in Suikoden were horrible. Nevermind that Konami is aggressively shifting the series more and more towards a worldview that the original creator never intended. It's okay, it has Suikoden in the name, LET'S GET HYPE! :D

lolz

Aeana

Gunloc said:
I gotta be.

Suikoden is my favorite series and I can't believe that they'd do another Tierkreisesque thing after the really poor reception the first one had. Frankly, the PSP thing worried me more right now.

Need more info. *starts twitching*
If they were going to avoid the Tierkreis route, they wouldn't use the million worlds at all.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The art from the animation also looks in-line with Tierkreis, so pretty sure it's a wannabe sequel to Tierkreis unfortunately XD;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:
I know XD; Maybe it'll be better...
Just watched the trailer and it seems like the million worlds thing again. The art direction looks similar to Tierkreis's style as well.

You've gotta be kidding me.

I hope it'll be good. I hope it'll be good. I hope it'll be good.

duckroll said:
I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the game no matter what it is. Don't let any of us put a damper on that! Nevermind that the game is specifically a million worlds story spanning the course of a hundred years. Nevermind that all the alternate world stories in Suikoden were horrible. Nevermind that Konami is aggressively shifting the series more and more towards a worldview that the original creator never intended. It's okay, it has Suikoden in the name, LET'S GET HYPE! :D

lolz
You're making me sad.

Well, I was excited for a couple seconds at least. :(

Xelinis

Komuta is busy directing Frontier Gate. So the question is, who's directing this?

PLEASE BE SAKIYAMA

Xelinis

I really don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I'm thrilled that Konami is making another Suikoden game. But on the other, I just miss the old world.

We need more information!!

duckroll

Dark Schala said:
Maybe it won't be as underwhelming as Tierkreis was.

:(

I predict that the most likely outcome of this is:

- Game will get unveiled at some point and look more promising than Tierkreis
- Fans get excited over it potentially being a good game
- It gets released in Japan and no one buys it, so there are barely any impressions on GAF
- Fans decide to petition Konami to localize the game, and start making up optimistic claims based on trailers and previews that the game could be really special
- Game is eventually never localized because the PSP is dead
- Fans get bitter and resentful and start referring to the game as a dodgy spin-off with questionable importance in the series
- Fans start hoping for Suikoden 6

Dark Schala said:
Maybe it won't be as underwhelming as Tierkreis was.

:(
It's not that Tierkreis was a bad game per say, it was adequate for a nice, light RPG. It's just that I can't believe that they'd still stay away from the main canon series after the overwhelmingly bleh reception it got for totally forsaking the original continuity.

I'm going to wait for more information, but this is already looking disappointing. Such highs and lows in the course of a few minutes. :/

kuroshiki

Tierkreis was not as awesome as original Suikoden but I will gladly take it. It was still Suikoden with 108 stars of destiny.

Aeana

duckroll said:
- Fans get bitter and resentful and start referring to the game as a dodgy spin-off with questionable importance in the series
I dunno about this one. Games that are out of reach tend to be overinflated rather than deflated. More likely it'll be referred to as amazing by people who have never played it and never will.

I'm a pretty fair-weather Suikoden player, but I've always wanted to get into the series - can a vet tell me why people are so cynical about this "million worlds" thing?

Aeana

BigJiantRobut said:
I'm a pretty fair-weather Suikoden player, but I've always wanted to get into the series - can a vet tell me why people are so cynical about this "million worlds" thing?
The primary appeal of the Suikoden series for many fans is the way the world and lore has been built over the course of the series. The million worlds are different dimensions that allow the creators to totally ignore the established lore. Hence disappointment.

duckroll

Aeana said:
I dunno about this one. Games that are out of reach tend to be overinflated rather than deflated. More likely it'll be referred to as amazing by people who have never played it and never will.

What?! Are you implying that Seiken Densetsu 3 is not the best action RPG ever made?!?!?! :D

BigJiantRobut said:
Tierkreis featured this concept as basically a way to reboot the series when the main draw of the games before that was the deep and rich continuing narrative and world that the past eight games spent building.

The game itself is not bad, but it was a disappointment to most because it ignored almost everything that made the past games great.

Top Bottom