• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Drago

I was expecting the coin thing to be the better incentive, but from what you guys are saying, sounds like North America got the superior bonus this time. The gold Mario pin and the steelbook are pretty cool.

OTOH, we get ghetto white packaging with no inside cover, so...
No steelbook in America though, right? :(

JeTmAn81

Is the coin supposed to be a bonus that comes with all preorders? I ordered mine from Newegg at that nice $30 price point.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And my Newegg preorder for 2x copies @ $10 a piece discount is shipping now. Yaaay.

Hopefully will be here same day as my XL, which also just went out the door.

Kamek

Does the game have little nooks in each level to explore, and multiple ways to clear a level? That's what I feel like Mario has been missing (no pun intended) since SMW.

Just saw the Giant Bomb quick look and I have to agree with a lot of what they said. I'll still be buying this day 1, but man, it seems like there was a lot of potential there and Nintendo just didn't take advantage of any of it. Instead, they just stuck to the formula and put out a good, not great, 2D platformer. Kinda bummed.

branny

And my Newegg preorder for 2x copies @ $10 a piece discount is shipping now. Yaaay.

Hopefully will be here same day as my XL, which also just went out the door.
Oh, fuck! I had decided earlier to cancel my order, but mine already got processed, too.

Looool. Okay, I will give my impressions of the game when it arrives.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just saw the Giant Bomb quick look and I have to agree with a lot of what they said. I'll still be buying this day 1, but man, it seems like there was a lot of potential there and Nintendo just didn't take advantage of any of it. Instead, they just stuck to the formula and put out a good, not great, 2D platformer. Kinda bummed.

Mario has become a caricature of his former self.

It's sad, really.

NeoRausch

Huh....why is everybody so mad about the coin?

it's nothing great, but it looks nicee in my shelf. Like you guys would do something elde with your preorder kitsch then to put it on your shelf.

Just played the first world. Pretty standart (so: very good) mario quality. I just hope for SOME level design surprises.

Yup, it's in stage 1. (Picture)

Thank you!!!
I knew it had to be on this stage and even tried randomly jumping around in the hopes of a beanstalk :(
Right I can finally carry on with the game now, cheers :)

Put it down for a bit to cook some food but,

That score is ridiculous. I thought I was doing it big with my just under 5000!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mario has become a caricature of his former self.

It's sad, really.

Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and the inevitable full blown 3D Mario game on Wii U would have a word about that. Even NSMB U would.

The narrative of Mario's destruction because of NSMB 2 is a real mindfuck.

Heropon

I've beaten this game already and I love it even if it's the same as always. I suppose I'm part of the problem :(

It's so amazing amassing all those coins and lives.

daakusedo

I did 8000 and something in coin rush, that was when I wasn't familiar with the mechanics.
Now that I know how to trigger coins pop up and invisible blocks, I can't go over 6000.
Either there are overall more secrets or you need a certain combination of stages to hit higher scores.
Also I don't know if I see things but I vaguely remember hitting a x3 multiplier...

Heropon

The game has some great level designs and well hidden coin locations.

Ok, but I'm not an expert about level design so I think I can't say how good the level design is beyond saying that I'm enjoying playing through the stages.

I'm searching the hidden paths right now and I'm having some serious problems in a certain ghost house.

Heropon

I have to eat my pride and ask for help. I can't find the secret exit in M-Ghost and I've searched every nook and cranny, finding the three medals and many green mushrooms, but not the red flag.

Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and the inevitable full blown 3D Mario game on Wii U would have a word about that. Even NSMB U would.

The narrative of Mario's destruction because of NSMB 2 is a real mindfuck.

Even NSMBWii was a huge step up from the DS game. I just think this 3DS one kind of broke the winning streak Nintendo had going.

Peff

I have to eat my pride and ask for help. I can't find the secret exit in M-Ghost and I've searched every nook and cranny, finding the three medals and many green mushrooms, but not the red flag.

If it's the one I'm thinking of
in the room with the three switches hit the center and right ones, go through the corridor and go up to the switch that activates the third coin. Now just go right and through the door.

Hmmm... that one was pretty simple but I may over complicate it if I explain.

Midway through the stage you get to a choice of three doors.
When you take the left you come to a room where three routes are all barred off by blue blocks.
Near the entrance here are three upside down yellow P blocks which you must hit in the right order.
You'll probably remember this area as once you've chosen the correct passage, you gain access to a hidden nook in the ceiling where the third star coin is.
You need to hit another P block to unveil the star coin, what you haven't been noticing however is off-screen the block has also unveiled a hidden door to the right.
You exit here to get the red flag.

EDIT: Damn it Peff you said it better than me in far fewer words :(

Heropon

If it's the one I'm thinking of
in the room with the three switches hit the center and right ones, go through the corridor and go up to the switch that activates the third coin. Now just go right and through the door.

Thanks,
it didn't occur to me that that switch had another purpose and i didn't see the door the two times I pressed it.
<3

EDIT: Damn it Peff you said it better than me in far fewer words :(

Thanks to you too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, if you're going for coins and medals game can become really hard ^^

I died seven times at 1-2 ^^

just saw the video, the game looked quite dull, like they were saying, coin rush seems stupid and the coop in that format should not exist.

Velcro Fly

My order from Newegg shipped today. Crossing my fingers for a Monday arrival. I'll have my 3DS charged and ready to go.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My daughter is 10 and this will be her third Mario game. She is pretty excited. Nintendo is catering more to her than to me, and I am perfectly happy with that.

Drago

I feel this is sorta on topic...

Anyone know where I can find good scans of all the 3DS reversible covers (that NA didn't get) up to NSMB2? I want the reversible for this game and a few others :/

zroid

Banned
just saw the video, the game looked quite dull, like they were saying, coin rush seems stupid and the coop in that format should not exist.

You think coin rush is stupid? To me it seems like one of the most compelling additions to a Mario game in years.

It appears that for the first time ever, there is actually a measurable, quantifiable mechanism by which you can perfect your play technique outside of mere speed runs.

I'm not totally sold on the game as a whole, but coin rush, if nothing else, is what will probably keep me coming back for weeks, maybe months.

Gradivus

Finished the first world and started a bit of the second one. I enjoy it so far, the levels don't seem as dull as the first two NSMB games to me. Not too sure what to think of the coin collecting so far, its something different when concerning the typical pace in most Mario games (You're not as temped to rush through the level as quick as possible unless its coin rush mode).

Still the Wii U version looks like its going to be the best one for me.

DjRoomba

Banned
Nice. Just got it. Screw all yall complaining about lack of innovating, the games just fun. Im finding it surprisingly challenging and I think the racoon tail adds a lot.

CrisKre

I'm really surprised with this game. Played all the way to level 5 and its my favorite 2d Mario since yoshis island. Neither of the other two new super Mario kept my attention, but the level design on this one is much, much tighter and focused. I'm absolutely loving it.

BowieZ

Banned
The co-op seems a bit gimped. It seems thr only way to gain the lead is to ground pound your partner (or use a midway flag).

I am completley in love with the overworld theme. Sure it sounds similar but the yah yahs in the background are just too good. Makes the theme something else lol..I can dance to it lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got it today. GAME stuck the little coin bag to the game with a white stick for some reason. No idea why the French copy needs to come in a massive box for it. Got to world 2 Ghost House and 3000 coins exactly so I thought I'd take a little break.

ThankeeSai

Picked this up yesterday, really enjoying it so far.

Think I've only collected 3 of the large coins in 2 or so levels (I'm up to 4-2 so far). I've seen a fair few so far where I've thought "How the hell am I supposed to get there?!"

Looking forward to going back to collect them all ^_^

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just pick up big coins as I go along. I go back and look for the more out of your way ones when I've beaten the last level

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I have to agree with the level design thing. Game is not exciting, I agree, but level design is Nintendo's best. it's no SM3DL but it's a damn good game.

Even NSMBWii was a huge step up from the DS game. I just think this 3DS one kind of broke the winning streak Nintendo had going.

now this is a more balanced post , instead of "Mario being a caricature of himself" and such bollocks

You guys who complete the game first then go back for star coins are crazy!
I just can't allow myself to do that.
If I don't have the three coins I play the level over and over until I get them and then I move on. If I try to move on, the fact some are missing just nags at me and I'm forced to go back :lol.
I like it this way though because it means the last level truly is the last level.
I'm only at the end of World 3 but my repeats / backtracking for star coins / secret exits means I'm currently at 80,000 coins.

The co-op seems a bit gimped. It seems thr only way to gain the lead is to ground pound your partner (or use a midway flag).

Or go through a pipe or door first. They should've just had it that you hit Select.

Rich!

If I don't have the three coins I play the level over and over until I get them and then I move on. If I try to move on, the fact some are missing just nags at me and I'm forced to go back :lol.
I like it this way though because it means the last level truly is the last level.
I'm only at the end of World 3 but my repeats / backtracking for star coins / secret exits means I'm currently at 80,000 coins.

Or go through a pipe or door first. They should've just had it that you hit Select.

Yep. Its like yoshis island. The ONLY way for me to finish that 100% is to do it as I go along, refusing to pass a level until its 100%.

Nosgoroth

Yes, this is the only way to play for me too. I couldn't find the third coin in 1-A, so I was stuck there since yesterday morning. Now I just have to find the secret exits and I can advance to world 2~

Top Bottom