• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U no longer a launch title?

Reggie: For years this community has said: ‘Dammit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game’. So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, ‘So, what’s more?’”

Nintendo PR Manager Kit Ellis at the end of the IGN Comic Con demo video:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/comic-con-the-wii-u-demos-you-have-to-see

At 3:57:

"So that's a look at New Super Mario Bros U, coming out for Wii U not too long after launch."

Iwata said in an Iwata asks that it would be a launch title, so I hope this is just a gaffe from an out of the loop NOA rep and that hasn't changed but the words seem pretty clear.

Emitan

R2WNJ.png

Murrah

Banned
I'd imagine this is just NoA watching themselves. Hard to imagine a scenario where NSMBU isn't their key launch title unless they're really that confident in Nintendoland (they shouldn't be)

Eusis

You could probably twist it around to "by launch with a Mario game we meant within the first few weeks/months", and for people who want to get it right away that IS the second best possibility I'd think.

That just says "Holiday 2012" and the rep said "Not too long after launch." So they could still do something dumb and delay it until December. Which wouldn't be too big a deal but I wouldn't be happy and it could actually cause me to wait a month unless Pikmin 3 is there day one.

Gartooth

They would be insane to not use Mario to drive the Wii U launch. I'm guessing this is just the NoA rep trying to be vague rather than an actual confirmation that Mario won't make it on launch.

DigitalOp

Banned
Answer with Reason: Lets get some confirmation before jumping the gun

If True : Despite not being excited about the game in the first place, Reggie can take that quote and shove it up his ass.

Tagg9

They never said at launch, it was always their retarded "launch window". Same for Pikmin. Nintendoland, on the other hand, is confirmed for launch.

They never said at launch, it was always their retarded "launch window". Same for Pikmin. Nintendoland, on the other hand, is confirmed for launch.

Wrong. Reggie said "launch with a Mario game." How much clearer could that be? He was using it to call out fans who don't like waiting past launch for a new Mario title as has been the tradition since the GC, otherwise his bravado which everyone got ticked off over wouldn't have had any punch. Launch is launch day, not "launch window." And in this Asks session interview with Tezuka, Iwata clearly says it launches with the system TWICE:

"It's a launch title"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJ74YiWxok&feature=player_embedded#t=02m20s!

And here:

"I see. So you're offering NSMBU as something you want people to enjoy when it launches with the console."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJ74YiWxok&feature=player_embedded#t=02m33s

Could not be more specific right there. So it was officially confirmed as a launch day title, end of story.

PaineReign

Neo Member
Back the fuck up, Mario. Give Pikmin room to breathe!

I get what you're saying, but I don't think Pikmin would really sell to "casuals" anyway. People who care about both will buy both, people who only care about Mario won't buy Pikmin if its their only option.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Makes more sense to be a holiday release, financially, no so much concerning Day 1 incentive though. Assuming the WiiU launches before the holiday season.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think Pikmin would really sell to "casuals" anyway. People who care about both will buy both, people who only care about Mario won't buy Pikmin if its their only option.

Agreed. A scenario I posted in one of the old Wii U spec threads:

Hypothetical example of why Mario is needed at launch:

Soccer mom goes into Best Buy during launch.

"Oh what's this Wii U system, that looks kind of interesting. Does it play Wii games?"

Sales guy: "Yes, it's compatible with the old Wii games and controllers, plus it has a new tablet style Gamepad."

Soccer Mom: "Oh, and that looks cute, what game is this."

Sales guy: "That's Pikmin 3. It's a strategy game with little plant people."

Soccer Mom: "Can the family play it together?"

Sales guy: "Well, I think it has an optional 2 player mode."

Soccer Mom: "Hmmmm, ok. Oh well, I think I'll get my son an IPad instead and he can just keep his regular Wii which he still plays a lot, we all still play that Wii Party game too. But what's this new Super Mario game, will that play on the old Wii?"

Sales guy: "No, that will only play on the new Wii U system."

Soccer mom: "Oh really? My son is a huge Mario fan and won't want to miss that, and his sisters like Mario too. How much is the Wii U system again?"

System sale gained. Other scenario with Pikmin 3, third party ports but no Mario game quite possibly another result.

I can understand if it isn't. It will sell out anyway and in limited supply, the non hardcore that Mario would attract won't be able to buy it anyway. That means more time for third party efforts (ports) to sell without the juggernaut taking away entertainment time as well as money. If for some crazy reason that does play out, it won't last for more than a couple weeks. Maybe late October release, Mario right before thanksgiving.

Maybe they are all telling the truth. Staggered launches in North America at the last week of october followed by the Japanese and asian market at the second week of november and europe aand pal regions at the end of november. NSMBU Launching in Japan. Which gives pikmin about two to three weeks breathing room and nsmbu to be thanksgiving monster.

Also why did they get kermit the frog to translate in that video?

donny2112

coming out for Wii U not too long after launch.

Wii U - October 28
Nintendoland - October 28
Assassin's Creed 3 - October 30
Zombi U - October 30
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - November 13
New Super Mario Bros. Wii U - November 18
Pikmin 3 - December 2 (11th anniversary of original game's launch)

Hopefully. Would work with the AC3 Wii U version having an Oct. 30 launch date.

Edit:
ZombiU is in time for Halloween...

Oooh. Like that. Adding it in.

Edit2:
Might as well add in Black Ops II. :p

Edit3:
An October 28 launch also has it releasing on the first day of November's NPD period for maximum launch month sales. :lol

madmackem

Reggie has been coming at fans with the quote though about not launching with a mario title so to not launch day one with a mario title will make him look foolish.

madmackem

Maybe they are all telling the truth. Staggered launches in North America at the last week of october followed by the Japanese and asian market at the second week of november and europe aand pal regions at the end of november. NSMBU Launching in Japan. Which gives pikmin about two to three weeks breathing room and nsmbu to be thanksgiving monster.

Also why did they get kermit the frog to translate in that video?

So what is coming out day one from first party nintendo land, that one be a real weak showing for a console they need to push day one.l

Poyunch

Seriously? The Wii U launch absolutely murders the 3DS launch and is one of the best Nintendo launches ever.

People were more willing to look past the bad 3DS launch because good games were coming later, like Resident Evil and Kid Icarus. Now I know this can already be applied to the Wii U but some people are tired of the New Super Mario Bros style and don't want an up-res of a Gamecube game.

Also Nintendo's more successful on the portable side than they are on the home console front now.

During and around E3, all Reggie would say about the Wii U release was 'Holiday 2012, Holiday 2012, Holiday 2012' and there was the document of games listing things like Mario U, ACIII, NintendoLand, Lego City, Darksiders II as 'Holiday 2012' as well (and we know those other games have been confirmed for launch). Other games like Pikmin 3 and Project P-100 were listed as 'Launch Window'. So unless something has changed, I still think it will be there day one next to the console.

Anth0ny

LOL

fuck. Now this launch kinda sucks. I wasn't expecting Pikmin or P-100 on day one. But Mario? I thought launch day was a sure thing.

Why the hell would they wait? I can't imagine this game has had any development problems
considering it's mostly a fucking up-resed Wii game, not that there's anything wrong with that
, so it must some sort of twisted strategy to not launch it alongside the new console.

Maybe they aren't bundling Nintendoland with the console and don't want Mario to steal its thunder? O_O

olimpia84

Very stupid move by Nintendo if true. Personally, it doesn't affect me at all since I'm in no hurry of playing these NSMB games coming out.
The one platformer I'm keeping an eye on and praying is a launch title is Rayman Legends.

Maybe they aren't bundling Nintendoland with the console and don't want Mario to steal its thunder? O_O

Only Nintendo could be this brilliant.

"Hey, let's risk launch momentum by NOT bundling the kinda lackluster looking mini game collection and make it a full priced standalone retail title, giving it higher priority over a new Mario game! Fans who didn't like NintendoLand at E3 will surely have no choice but to warm up to it now if we go back on our word and delay NSMBU, right?!"

Fredrik

Launch day or launch window, does it really matter? It's not like it's the most interesting WiiU title, it's hardly a system seller, doesn't even show off the second screen much, Nintendo probably see it as a filler to silent the "there are no games"-people and launch window should be close enough for that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wrong. Reggie said "launch with a Mario game." How much clearer could that be? He was using it to call out fans who don't like waiting past launch for a new Mario title as has been the tradition since the GC, otherwise his bravado which everyone got ticked off over wouldn't have had any punch. Launch is launch day, not "launch window." And in this Asks session interview with Tezuka, Iwata clearly says it launches with the system TWICE:

"It's a launch title"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJ74YiWxok&feature=player_embedded#t=02m20s!

And here:

"I see. So you're offering NSMBU as something you want people to enjoy when it launches with the console."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJ74YiWxok&feature=player_embedded#t=02m33s

Could not be more specific right there. So it was officially confirmed as a launch day title, end of story.

Yeah, too many indications about it being a launch title, especially from Iwata himself.

donny2112

Maybe they are bundling Nintendoland, but want to give third-parties a couple of weeks at launch to pick up extra sales before NSMBU comes in. It still gives third-parties a window at launch, but not a long window before the big first-party game comes in to drive further console sales.

3DS's problem was that third-parties missed the handoff at launch, and it took a long time for Nintendo to send in another player to pick up the fumble (Zelda). This time they could be giving third-parties another chance, but have their ace player just a few feet behind to pick up the fumble, if needed.

it's hardly a system seller,

Well, that's certainly an opinion.

Poyunch

Launch day or launch window, does it really matter? It's not like it's the most interesting WiiU title, it's hardly a system seller, doesn't even show off the second screen much, Nintendo probably see it as a filler to silent the "there are no games"-people and launch window should be close enough for that.

Mario is a system seller though.

Is anyone really surprised by this?

Jesus. They've been pulling this shit since the Gamecube.

"B-but it'll be different this time!"

Antagon

You think a franchise that has games consistently selling 20+ million copies is not a system seller?

Top Bottom