• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros U Patch Coming - Pro Controller Support Added

Ah, lovely. Now I don't have to lug around a giant controller in single player.

I would be saying that if I had a Wii U

Metalmarc

Now can we get them to patch it so the wii u pro controller can be used on everything else that should support it too? Ie when playing wii games on the wii u and all the virtual console games?

Majine

Banned
How nice of them to do some actual coding for once.

iTflFj6x9OmKv.gif

So why exactly was this not in the game to start with (and why can you still not use the GamePad to play the game properly in multiplayer)? The only two possible scenarios that I can see is that they couldn't be bothered, or they genuinely didn't realise that people might want to use these controllers to play the game. I'm not sure which is worse!

RagnarokX

So why exactly was this not in the game to start with (and why can you still not use the GamePad to play the game properly in multiplayer)? The only two possible scenarios that I can see is that they couldn't be bothered, or they genuinely didn't realise that people might want to use these controllers to play the game. I'm not sure which is worse!

Pro Controller doesn't have motion controls. A couple of levels require tilt.

They should patch in ability to use the GamePad to control a fucking character during multiplayer.

This still baffles my mind why this wasn't a option. Who wants to sit there adding blocks throughout the entire game? I bought this game/system at launch with a extra Wiimote so I can play with my daughter & assumed a gamepad + Wiimote would work. Once I realized it wouldn't I said fuck Nintendo, there not getting another dime from me.....unless they come out with a HD 2D Metroid, :)

Wii U has been collecting dust every since.....

Shoogoo

This still baffles my mind why this wasn't a option. Who wants to sit there adding blocks throughout the entire game? I bought this game/system at launch with a extra Wiimote so I can play with my daughter & assumed a gamepad + Wiimote would work. Once I realized it wouldn't I said fuck Nintendo, there not getting another dime from me.....unless they come out with a HD 2D Metroid, :)

Wii U has been collecting dust every since.....

Same thing happened to me. I was completely dumbfounded when I realized that. I was ashamed when I explained to my son that we wouldn't be able to play together.

Nintendo always has this secret to make things complicated and disappoint.

"hey we can play 5 player right?" -> "uh no the gamepad is just for My first brick placementz"

"so there's 4 of us but hey we've got 3 remotes and a gamepad! so we can play 4 player right?" -> "uh no you cant use the gamepad for this tentpole nintendo title lulz"

Deku Tree

My favorite controller to use was the Wii Mote actually. I don't own a pro controller. It would be nice if they also gave us CCP support. I have one of those.

Rocky

Banned
So does this mean they mapped motion moves like blowing up baby yoshi to buttons? Or does the pro controller have motion in it?

JoeM86

So does this mean they mapped motion moves like blowing up baby yoshi to buttons? Or does the pro controller have motion in it?

Well things like spinning and that are already mapped to buttons on the GamePad. It's more the swings and platforms that tilt which are at question

Holy shit!

A Nintendo patch that adds functionality!

I might go back and play it some more now that I can w/ the pro controller.

elektrixx

Banned
My brain tells me to like Mario games but I just couldn't get into this or NSMB2. Hopefully this reels me back into it.

Wait... you couldn't do this before? I had no idea. The pro controller is great though, I picked one up for Monster Hunter and I love it. This will give me an excuse to go back for some more NSMBU before Luigi hits.

Tuck

Awesome! Wasn't fond of playing NSMB Wii with the Wiimote. (Don't have a Wii U but when I do, if I play with friends at any point, I'd rather use a pro controller).

Why can't I use the gamepad in multi to control a character. That seems like more of a problem.

considering its the packed in fucking controller.

JavyOO7

My internet is caca at home so therefore my Wii U cannot connect to internet... but I noticed when I was about to play NSMBU the other day that that particular title was trying to update something...

EDIT: And I did update NSMBU the first time around to add Miiverse support. I think in launch the game hadn't included that in the disk just yet.

Revven

Oh, good, I'll have a chance to try this when... I actually feel like playing it (I'm too absorbed into Lego City at the moment). And people said Nintendo couldn't have the Pro Controller because of some little motion bits... HA!

Mileena

Banned
So much for those Nintendo apologists insisting it wasn't possible because there's one level with sixaxis. Here's some crow.

They should patch in ability to use the GamePad to control a fucking character during multiplayer.

While that would be good... I'm ecstatic that the pro-controller is now supported. I'd rather use that than anything else anyways. Only need the gamepad if I'm playing solo and don't want to use TV.

Linkhero1

Nice. This means the Luigi DLC will have this. I'd love it if they do patch in Game Pad controls as well, but they probably won't because Nintendo.

Eric C

Hmm, I wonder how they'll accommodate the sections that require the gyroscope. Second stick, maybe?

Yeah, afaik the pro controller has no motion sensing.

I guess it will probably just use the shoulder buttons.

But I'm now curious if the pro controller DOES have an undisclosed gyro. Probably not. Has anyone done a teardown of the pro controller?

yes, this needs to be done too.

Lasdrub

I guess they don't support the classic controller because it doesn't have motion sensors in it for tilting.

Edit: Wait, the Pro controller doesn't have motion sensors?

homer-urge-to-kill-rising.png

Top Bottom