• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. World Record Raises HUGE Questions

So what is basically happening is that It is unknown whether or not a world record tied by Lekukie may have been legit or have been cheated due to the history of the speedrunner in question cheating. and it came just right after speedrunner Kosmic had obtained the World Record. The dude in question was banned in Mario Kart DS speedrunning after being caught cheating.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm right there with you. My first thought was, "are there enough people that really care that much about speed running that any potential problem could be called huge?"
I think we are just to old to care. I don't want to watch other people play games I just want to play the games myself.
Agree with both of you. I have too many things to care about to add some speedrunner to the list and call it "huge" when something happens to them.

iconmaster iconmaster has a good point tho. If those speedruns help kiddos get to know older games hey, I'm glad for that.

StormCell

I give zero fuckerinos about pro gaming, but I think eSports is generally positive for video games. Even the old TV game shows where kids competed with each other at video games were good for the market.

So obviously speed running records are also good for video games.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I love speedrunning (as a casual watcher) but these predictable issues could be solved if the companies invested some time and effort into hosting tournaments and/or helping to standardize these competitions.

It's a fine balance. The loose, open nature of speedrunning allowed it to grow and thrive on its own. But the loose, open nature of speedrunning allowed it to get infested with cheaters and with cuckoos from certain tumblr ideologues.

Also obligatory:

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Well, make him replicate in front of other people from the community, call the Guinness people, I don't know...

It's the story of the shepherd kid that always lies about a wolf, isn't it? If you're known as a liar people won't trust you when you're telling the truth.

GAMETA

Banned
I love speedrunning (as a casual watcher) but these predictable issues could be solved if the companies invested some time and effort into hosting tournaments and/or helping to standardize these competitions.

It's a fine balance. The loose, open nature of speedrunning allowed it to grow and thrive on its own. But the loose, open nature of speedrunning allowed it to get infested with cheaters and with cuckoos from certain tumblr ideologues.

Also obligatory:

Nah, no one really cares about speedrunning other than the speedrunning community... he numbers are very low...

Dthomp

Also obligatory:

I used to love watching Games Done Quick years ago, but like you said their whole setup has been infested by the purple haired proper pronoun, call me they idiots of the world, and in turn their product has suffered because they won't bring in real speed run people that can legit break records, they bring in the weirdos and ideology folk and ban anyone with a different opinion then theirs from their races.

As a whole, I'm not interested in speed running, but I enjoy when they have people that run a game legit 100% and are good at talking about the game they are passionate about, it's much more enjoyable then a dude clipping through every wall or going out of bounds and racing to the end of a stage.

Mario world record is a big deal though, one of if not the most recognizable video game of all time and the whole run takes minutes and has been optimized to such a crazy amount.

I love speedruns, I'm not part of the community though.

The way I got into it is watching out of curiosity the speedrun of a game I love and it amazed me how someone could optimize and break the game I played. It was surreal.

bender

What time is it?
Do people really care that much about speedrunning?

Because I give 0 fuckerinos but still see a lot about it everywhere on the internet.

Maybe I'm old. ;~;

Watching Summoning Salt's channel on Youtube. I don't really care about Speed Running ether but he somehow manages to make the topic engaging (probably the human element to it).

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol why are you people on a video game message board even? speedrunning is fucking huge in gaming culture. lol.

Last edited:
Should speed runs count if the player uses glitches to get to a lower time?
This is a question that I thought of when watching the video.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
lol why are you people on a video game message board even? speedrunning is fucking huge in gaming culture. lol.

It’s fun, but it also harps on breaking the game. I don’t know about you, but I don’t pay full price for a game and immediately want to support someone who beats it in an hour. I have nothing against it. I had plenty of times watching OOT runs and streams over the years. That stuff is enjoyable, but I also beat the game multiple times now.

I didn’t want to watch the Sekiro speed run because the game felt good to play for 66 hours. It takes some of the quality of sticking to the plot, the game’s engine, and misc stuff here and there.

It’s just like how eSports are a fantastic part of gaming. It’s just not something enjoyable for me. I’m not going to watch eSports on ESPN2 because that isn’t the type of gaming I enjoy. I think since gaming has become an empire, it’s also had parts to it that aren’t for everyone. I use to care if I saw the Wold Cyber Games or the first couple Speed Running Events. Now it’s all over. You have tournaments all around the world and even the million dollar prize pot isn’t all that enjoyable to watch. The first couple speed run events were fun to watch, but now it’s just that. I’d rather play the game.

Hell yeah it’s questionable if the guy cheated before. There has to be some accountability especially if you’re recording these times as being legit.

I was watching Salt's SMB3 warpless video and he had my rapt attention because I know SMB3 well and was curious about speed run strategies. Until about halfway in when he get into "this guy came out of nowhere and shaved 2 seconds off the WR"...that's always when he loses me. Wow, someone did nothing but practice that game for months and did a teeny-tiny bit better, whoopdeecrap. And then the whole back half of his videos are always the back-and-forth of who beats who by a second or two.

Karunamon

I was watching Salt's SMB3 warpless video and he had my rapt attention because I know SMB3 well and was curious about speed run strategies. Until about halfway in when he get into "this guy came out of nowhere and shaved 2 seconds off the WR"...that's always when he loses me. Wow, someone did nothing but practice that game for months and did a teeny-tiny bit better, whoopdeecrap. And then the whole back half of his videos are always the back-and-forth of who beats who by a second or two.

That's speedrunning my dude. Especially with old, popular games that have had a ton of time and effort sunk into them, the difference between world record and ten places away can be milliseconds. It's interesting precisely because of the level of precision over time required.

Nico_D

I'm right there with you. My first thought was, "are there enough people that really care that much about speed running...

Yep. I'm more like "so you played a game faster than others? Good for you!"

I've never understood some people's endless quest for recognition and validation.

Or perhaps I have one of my "I hate people" days.

I'm watching this... this lekuki guy (the one with the CRT) shows himself playing on an ACTUAL NES with the original controller only tie the existing record, no traces of cheating after two months, yet he is not on the leaderboard.

On the other hand that guy with his keyboard that you can't validate his input as easily just seems to get a pass.

That's speedrunning my dude. Especially with old, popular games that have had a ton of time and effort sunk into them, the difference between world record and ten places away can be milliseconds. It's interesting precisely because of the level of precision over time required.
I'm aware that that's what speedrunning consists of. At the level of extreme refinement and anal-retentive perfection, you completely lose me. I do not care one whit who or how a person got 1 or 2 seconds off the world record time after grinding for months and months. I admire the dedication but I would never care to watch that process play out at all. That's just wasting time in my mind.

Now, those exploitable memory-manipulation glitches, like warping to World 7 and doing the pipe trick to skip to the Princess' room in SMB3, are far more interesting because they demonstrate an intense understanding and manipulation of the game at a coding level.

Top Bottom