• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Red Devil

It seems there will be a classic outfit of sorts.

1980s_Mario_in_Super_Mario_Odyssey.jpg

Caramello

The game looks awesome and i really wanna play it, the creepy/cringe inducing guy at the beginning and end of the video is not cool though. I skipped him to get to the actual gameplay and ended the video once he returned. I guess he's cool in the Nintendo bubble.

This wasn't quoted enough. What an absolutely terrible post. Please educate yourself.

bionic77

Switch making a real strong case for best first year for a console ever.

Hard to believe the amount of good/great games that have come out on the system within 7 months of launch.

I wonder if Nintendo can keep this up?

Part of me is like "man, this was so awesome to watch!"

Another part of me is like "man, some of this stuff would have been so awesome to discover on my own!"

All in all, good times. No ragrets.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just texted my friend, who was also blown away by the trailer, this: "I mean - gotta play it and all that - but if the game delivers on what that trailer promises, literally nobody in the industry is playing at their level."

This is, to his point, a reminder of why Nintendo is so revered.

Given that the 3D Mario and Zelda teams consistently produce Nintendo's best received titles among critics, I wonder if they have a friendly internal rivalry.
Iwata mentioned the Mario team and Zelda team work side by side most of the time.

Which is why the games tend to have similarities or Easter eggs of one another.

The best part of all this is that this game is almost here....unbelievable! Hard to believe that it wasn't officially revealed until this very same year we are getting it.

Oneself

Holycow! First video gave me a terrible 3D Sonic vibe and since then, it has become my most hyped Mario game since Super Mario 64.

=0

hey remember when they said 30-50 moons per kingdom
G7Nr3Jp.png

how the fuck

can someone force koizumi and crew to produce mario odyssey content for the rest of time
thank you

Plum

So I only watched the footage once in the Direct and I'll likely never watch it again. What I did see, though, can be summarised in a single gif:

2921100-thatsrad.gif

I'm out. My next meeting with the game will be October 27th!

Inbefore there will be a
hidden 70th moon
. I mean I wouldn't be too surprised.

probably the
100 purple coins
, but I don't see why that one wouldn't be labeled...

tbh i love how I ate crow regarding the number of kingdoms. I was thinking we were only getting 8 because of the moons being color coded...
but we already have two shades of blue with Luncheon/Wooded and two really close shades of Yellow with Cascade/new tropical one

bionic77

Just texted my friend, who was also blown away by the trailer, this: "I mean - gotta play it and all that - but if the game delivers on what that trailer promises, literally nobody in the industry is playing at their level."

This is, to his point, a reminder of why Nintendo is so revered.
The best thing about Nintendo trailers is they are usually filled with gameplay.

If you look at most videogame trailers they are a bunch of really quick edits of a lot of cutscenes cut together with gameplay. They do it in a way that is very exciting but usually does not show off the meat and bones of the game.

This trailer was almost all gameplay elements and instead of showing quick edits of cutscenes they are showing all the different ways you can play and interact with the game, which to me is way more exciting.

Speely

Banned
There is no way this doesn't dominate GOTY awards. Holy shit. This is Nintendo just emptying the clip.

Masterful. I have all the feels. I would not have thought I would ever say that in the year BotW came out.

Whew.

Atheerios

I just noticed they reorchestrated the main theme from the Switch presentation trailer.

Makes me very excited about the music!

I hope Pauline becomes a staple of the Mario franchise, like Rosalina has.

Also, there are 9 kingdoms confirmed (New Donk City, Tostarena, Mount Volbono, Steam Gardens, Bonneton, Fossil Falls, Shiveria, Bubblaine, Jungle), plus, the list shows at least 55 moons in the Sand Kingdom. Assuming the number of moons per Kingdom is the same, there is at least 495 moons to collect.

Edit: I forgot about the Jungle Kingdom shown.

bionic77

Watched the trailer a second time just to appreciate the art.

I would love to see a documentary on how Nintendo makes games and who the artists are behind these games and how they go about creating it.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Oh my god, this looks like the most fun game I've seen in years. Maybe even ever. I need a Switch. Everything about just looks so well designed. I was originally worried with the weird metro level but not anymore.

I hope Pauline becomes a staple of the Mario franchise, like Rosalina has.

Also, there are 9 kingdoms confirmed (New Donk City, Tostarena, Mount Volbono, Steam Gardens, Bonneton, Fossil Falls, Shiveria, Bubblaine, Jungle), plus, the list shows at least 55 moons in the Sand Kingdom. Assuming the number of moons per Kingdom is the same, there is at least 495 moons to collect.

Edit: I forgot about the Jungle Kingdom shown.

world Map also revealed
Lake and Mushroom kingdoms (which don't seem to fit with the unnamed Jungle one)
and there's no fucking way we aren't going to TheMoon with how big it is in that world map.

Also, if the "moon counter" on that list shows only the moons for that world (which it should,
because there's a purple coin display right above), then the Sand Kingdom has
69. (Probably 70 if there's one for collecting all 100 purple coins)

This gives more credence to my "Mushroom Kingdom is the secret post game world and is a quasi remake to SM64" hope/theory.

the picture is from new donk city, considering that there are some npcs from donk city in tostarena, probably the challenge will be to bring something from donk city to tostarena to help him out. So basically a quick travel

the picture is from new donk city, considering that there are some npcs from donk city in tostarena, probably the challenge will be to bring something from donk city to tostarena to help him out. So basically a quick travel

This might also be how the
New Donk Cab
ended up in Tostarena.

world Map also revealed
Lake and Mushroom kingdoms (which don't seem to fit with the unnamed Jungle one)
and there's no fucking way we aren't going to TheMoon with how big it is in that world map.

Also, if the "moon counter" on that list shows only the moons for that world (which it should,
because there's a purple coin display right above), then the Sand Kingdom has
69. (Probably 70 if there's one for collecting all 100 purple coins)

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there are 1000 moons to collect. But is very likely that there are at least 500 to collect, which is a HUGE number.

Speely

Banned
This has the potential to be the greatest game of all time. Those don't come across too often.

Yep. It's looking like a pure concentration of all that is Nintendo gone HAM.

I have no idea how a game like this even begins to get made. Really looking forward to the story of that, because WTF.

Top Bottom