• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Kyzer

Banned
Leaked footage of Mario Odyssey's planning and development team meetup

Old-Man-Crazy-Dancing-Funny-Gif-Image.gif

The only way this was possible

This game is going to be massive.

Game continues to look amazing, the capturing enemies mechanic is so wild.

Wait a minute...

"Capturing enemies"

Capturing enemies

Cap turing

giphy.gif

Which came first, the cap throwing mechanic or the enemy capturing mechanic...was it "Hey, we want to have the player capture enemies, let's give Mario a cap to throw" or was it "Mario has this cap he can throw, what if he throws it at enemies and captures them"?
The official name of the ability is called Cap-ture I believe. It... took me a while.

I can fully agree on the sense of scale, ambition and newness (can't really sum up that point in a word basically yes a lot of what comprised 3D World was seen before) but IMO that game was top notch from start to finish. I'm almost frothing at the mouth for this game and even I wouldn't say for certain what I've seen amounts to a better 3D Mario platformer than 3D World.

I understand those comments in relation to SS-BoTW (even though I like SS) but I ain't gonna let 3D World be so easily forgotten no matter how good this game is.

I also respect your opinion if you disagree but I just loved 3D World.

i love SS and sm3dw.

spad3

This might be GOAT.

Like holy crap there's so much to do. So many locales, so many Moons. The actual moon itself.

I'm expecting an open-world Mushroom Kingdom with all the main locations from the classic Mario Games to be explorable (including Peach's Castle and Bowser's Castle @ endgame).

Hats off { ;) } to the programmers and animators that had to make EVERYTHING interactive and able to be possessed by Cappy. The amount of experimentation, the amount of powers that you get as Mario is INSANE. Almost every enemy, object, npc is interactive. Kingdoms are huge and teeming with adventure and power-ups. TONS and TONS of power-ups. To put this into perspective, this game has more "power-ups" for Mario than every imaginable power-up in the previous 20+ years that Mario has ever gotten in all of his platforming adventures combined.

THAT IS INSANE.

That world-view map was amazing. I'd imagine like what? 12-15 Kingdoms total?

We know about these 10:

Cap - Bonneton
Cascade - Fossil Falls
Lake - Lake Lamode
Luncheon - Mount Volbono
Metro - New Donk City
Mushroom - Mushroom Kingdom will probably have at least Peach's Castle, and then Bowser's for the End Game.
Sand - Tostarena
Seaside - Bubblaine
Snow - Shiveria
Wooded - Steam Gardens

But I'd imagine the Moon has 1 or 2 spots on it at least, plus another 2-3 they haven't shown yet. Idk. Regardless, with what they've already shown, it's a lot of content.

This is going to be one of the biggest games of all time. Easily.

Nintendo might have just won 2017 as a whole. I don't think I have ever seen a console launch as epic and top-notch as the Switch.

October 27 cannot be here fast enough.

ALL ABOARD HYPE-LOOP EVERYONE. HYPE TRAIN TOO SLOW FOR THIS ONE.

hyperloop-test.gif

pixelation

The game looks awesome and i really wanna play it, the creepy/cringe inducing guy at the beginning and end of the video is not cool though. I skipped him to get to the actual gameplay and ended the video once he returned. I guess he's cool in the Nintendo bubble.

The game looks awesome and i really wanna play it, the creepy/cringe inducing guy at the beginning and end of the video is not cool though. I skipped him to get to the actual gameplay and ended the video once he returned. I guess he's cool in the Nintendo bubble.

you mean the producer of the game?

This is one cynical post. Koizumi is great.

Koizumi?...

...Koizumi?

Are we just shittalking developers for fun now

Glassboy

Yo, Koizumi is a legend. Show some respect

Booooo to you. Koizumi is the best and I'm glad he's preserving Iwata's legacy on the way of making the Directs.

? He's the producer of the awesome game you really want to play.

Wamb0wneD

What the hell was creepy/cringy about him? Without him you wouldn't get this game. Not even to speak of Z targeting in any game since Ocarina of Time or the entirety of Majoras Mask. Smh.

Damn, that trailer was wonderful. The initial trailer for the game did not interest me at all, but this one showed everything I wanted from the game!

brb buying a Switch

Wow thats just dumb. The new low post of the week.

BizzyBum

Yikes, I just realized Destiny 2 PC is releasing 3 days before Mario Odyssey.

Sorry Destiny, you'll be on the back burner for 2017 it seems.

It's amazing to see how much detail there is in this game. I was hopeful that the capture mechanic would be fleshed out rather than just being a cute novelty, and it really looks like it is. There's so many things you can do. I'm very impressed.

Compared to BotW, this game seems to blow it out of the water in terms of variety.

Pinky

Banned

2-clint-eastwood-grumpy-redonline.co.uk.gif

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing to see how much detail there is in this game. I was hopeful that the capture mechanic would be fleshed out rather than just being a cute novelty, and it really looks like it is. There's so many things you can do. I'm very impressed.

Compared to BotW, this game seems to blow it out of the water in terms of variety.

Given that the 3D Mario and Zelda teams consistently produce Nintendo's best received titles among critics, I wonder if they have a friendly internal rivalry.

KiN0

Given that the 3D Mario and Zelda teams consistently produce Nintendo's best received titles among critics, I wonder if they have a friendly internal rivalry.
An interviewer asked koizumi that same question and he said that everyone gets along well. Plus, he manages both teams so he gets to enjoy praise for all their games.

Takat

And I have to say I LOVE the clean UI and look.

This game can't come soon enough, and it's only a month and a half away. yey!

Drain You

I can't believe how incredible this looks. Last console Mario I really liked was Sunshine. All these worlds look great and it seems there is just so much to explore everywhere. Loving the outfits too.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I can't believe I'm saying this - because I believe Zelda is an industry-definining, watershed moment for gaming; easily among the ranks of Pong, Tetris, SMB, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, GTA, etc. It's unquestionably a 10/10 and should be the most obvious slam-dunk for GOTY in years.

Mario looks like it could be better...

Takat

Also, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems you can only throw your hat at things that don't have a hat. Like you won't be able to capture the dog with the hat, or Toad.

BizzyBum

I can't believe I'm saying this - because I believe Zelda is an industry-definining, watershed moment for gaming; easily among the ranks of Pong, Tetris, SMB, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, GTA, etc. It's unquestionably a 10/10 and should be the most obvious slam-dunk for GOTY in years.

Mario looks like it could be better...

This looks like it will already surpass Galaxy for me which I didn't think was possible. Hell, this might be my GOAT over Witcher 3 when all is said and done.

Top Bottom