• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch model planned for summer 2020

Chromata

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynint...intendo-switch-model-set-for-summer-2020/amp/

Digitimes is reporting today that Nintendo is busy preparing a revised Nintendo Switch system with an aim to make it available to consumers sometime this summer. The site says that production on the new unit will begin this quarter and will be released mid 2020, that’s according to sources from the related upstream supply chain.

Switch Pro incoming? I'd buy it.

UPDATE: Potential new info, unknown if real or not

Last edited:
As they seem to be following the Nintendo Handhelds model, it's about the right time for a DSi/n3DS slightly suped up version with some new hardware features and slightly better specs.

I'm going to guess it'll have a 1080p screen, a bit more ram to run system software and download faster, and run anything thats dynamic resolution either at or closer to full HD.

Saruhashi

Banned
So, considering prices etc, what can we realistically expect here?
I reckon:

Better battery life
Improved joy-cons (control sticks in particular)
Slightly bigger screen
More storage space
Bluetooth headphone compatibility
Possible improved load times

I do not imagine we will see a significant performance jump.
Definitely not enough of a jump that you will see "New Nintendo Switch Only" games so soon after the Lite release (unless the Lite has flopped).

I don't think there would be a significant size jump but they did that with the DS and 3DS XL models so who knows.
Not sure to what extent a size and/or weight reduction is even possible.

Mostly I just predict disappointment as I do not reckon we'll be seeing a Switch Pro that greatly improves performance.
In fact I can see them calling this thing the Switch Pro with the main improvements being Joy-cons, battery and internal storage.

At the very minimum they need to come up with a new Joy-Con design that improves the control sticks.
No doubt they will start to go a bit more adventurous with color options and limited editions etc.

Ryu Kaiba

Not sure on what's the point at making a "more powerful" Switch at this point. I think Nintendo will be fine this year as long as their software support remains strong. If anything, Nintendo should focus their resources making the Switch successor instead.
The Switch successor will come, and then the successor's pro model will come 3 years after that. whats the problem?

Codes 208

We have the lite, if the switch pro is a homeset only with power equivalent to the ps4 pro or higher Id be down for that.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

So, considering prices etc, what can we realistically expect here?
I reckon:

Better battery life
Improved joy-cons (control sticks in particular)
Slightly bigger screen
More storage space
Bluetooth headphone compatibility
Possible improved load times

I do not imagine we will see a significant performance jump.
Definitely not enough of a jump that you will see "New Nintendo Switch Only" games so soon after the Lite release (unless the Lite has flopped).

I don't think there would be a significant size jump but they did that with the DS and 3DS XL models so who knows.
Not sure to what extent a size and/or weight reduction is even possible.

Mostly I just predict disappointment as I do not reckon we'll be seeing a Switch Pro that greatly improves performance.
In fact I can see them calling this thing the Switch Pro with the main improvements being Joy-cons, battery and internal storage.

At the very minimum they need to come up with a new Joy-Con design that improves the control sticks.
No doubt they will start to go a bit more adventurous with color options and limited editions etc.
I think Nintendo is aware of people's expectations for a Switch pro. I think it will be more powerful, of course not so much that they'd abandon their current audience.
But hell I'd buy it even if it was just a nicer screen with slimmer bezels.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd bet on a console-only version over a suped-up version.

Slightly better specs isn't a strong selling point. The N3DS was a colossal fucking waste of everyone's time, and I own one.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It's called fracturing the market. Not to mention that people (mainstream crowd) will always buy the cheapest model available.
Which is the switch lite and as a retail associate, i can definitely say ive sold more regular switches during the holidays because thats what people wanted out of the switch despite the higher price point. Hell most of the nearby stores were also sold out but with plenty of switch lites.

if this new model is true, chances are its not for the mainstream audience: thats what the regular switch is for, its for the gaming enthusiasts. The people like me who are likey to buy all three new systems at their respective launches.

McRazzle

Duh.
SHARP confirmed this a while ago, when they told investors that they were providing a display for a "gaming platform", and an executive at SHARP told the WSJ it was providing IGZO displays for Nintendo.

It will definitely cost at least $400.00
They're not going to charge less than that after they just sold Lites for $200.00 and OG Switch for $300.00
A $400.00 Nintendo console will definitely have a lot more power, Nintendo knows it wouldn't sell otherwise.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
They need too, it’s about to get left in the dust. No ones gonna code for it other than first parties when they run out of 360/PS3 games to port.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
still waiting for that fucking 3ds with a tv out nintendo.
or a super 3dsboy for the switch adapter

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I could see a cpu upgrade and some screen enhancements with bluetooth support finally added.

But correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't anything from Nvidia GPU wise to upgrade from the X1?

Which is the switch lite and as a retail associate, i can definitely say ive sold more regular switches during the holidays because thats what people wanted out of the switch despite the higher price point. Hell most of the nearby stores were also sold out but with plenty of switch lites.

if this new model is true, chances are its not for the mainstream audience: thats what the regular switch is for, its for the gaming enthusiasts. The people like me who are likey to buy all three new systems at their respective launches.

The Mainstream market is bigger than the enthusiast

Ryu Kaiba

Duh.
SHARP confirmed this a while ago, when they told investors that they were providing a display for a "gaming platform", and an executive at SHARP told the WSJ it was providing IGZO displays for Nintendo.

It will definitely cost at least $400.00
They're not going to charge less than that after they just sold Lites for $200.00 and OG Switch for $300.00
A $400.00 Nintendo console will definitely have a lot more power, Nintendo knows it wouldn't sell otherwise.
Sharp was talking about the current switches on the market now with the better battery life.
And Nintendo's not launching anything at $400 especially not alongside PS5 and Series X

Saber

Gold Member
My guess is that it isn't a pro version(although I hope it is), just a non-handheld version. A full console with no "switch" stuff.

Easy to create and even more easier to milk.

McRazzle

Sharp was talking about the current switches on the market now with the better battery life.
And Nintendo's not launching anything at $400 especially not alongside PS5 and Series X
No.
The new Switch's turned out not to have IGZO displays.
Nothing with an IGZO display is launching less than $400.00

If it's capable of doubling as a VR/AR headset, as I suspect, then $400-$450 would be considered a good deal.

ultrazilla

So for all intents and purposes, this is indeed a Switch Pro model. :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_horns:
Chances this gets revealed on the next Nintendo Direct?

Still holding out on buying a Nintendo Switch, or perhaps itching to upgrade your OG version of the system? Well, you may be in luck, as according to the Taiwanese tech news outlet DigiTimes, another new Switch revision may be coming sooner rather than later.

According to DigiTimes’ upstream supply chain contacts, a “new Switch model” is coming our way sometime in mid 2020, with production of the machine officially kicking off Q1 2020. The wording of the article is a bit vague, so it isn’t entirely clear if this will be a completely new product, ala the Nintendo Switch Lite, or just a minor hardware revision, like last year’s new Tegra-X2-equipped Switch with better battery life. Given other information floating around, I’m leaning more towards the former.
It’s been heavily rumored for some time now that Nintendo has always had two major Switch revisions in mind – the already-released Switch Lite, and a “Pro” version that will most likely feature a larger screen and allow for higher res (possibly 4K) gaming. Last year reliable Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki reported two new models were in the works, and, tellingly, he just retweeted the new DigiTimes report, lending it a bit of extra credence.

I reported in Aug 2019: "Nintendo has ideas for further updates to the Switch lineup after those two models to make the platform’s lifecycle long"
DigiTimes on Jan 6: "Nintendo is reportedly planning to release in mid-2020 a new model of Switch"https://t.co/giypufcW4A
— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) January 6, 2020

Top Bottom