• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch model planned for summer 2020

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
There's no need for it whatsoever.

I'm not buying it. And by that I mean I don't believe it at all.

Last edited:

Kdad

Alienware CES Concept UFO ...

dellconceptUFO1-1440x961.jpg

dellconceptUFO6-1440x961.jpg

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

That alienware prototype is an 8" screen. Nice. I like how Alienware says it's the first of its kind ...even though it's a Switch clone. I'm sure if it isn't ever comes out it would be $800. Also sure it would fail. What pcgamer uses controllers? Who wants to mess with Windows on that thing? What pcgamer can afford a pc and an expensive handheld? What pcgamer wants to play m/k users with a controller?

The reason Nintendo succeeded is because they did the entire thing in-house. Software and hardware plus of course they have the 1st party stuff. Plus they keep the price down.

Last edited:
It has great games and is the best handheld option we have, but it's still horrible.
I like how it's made, I like all of the different ways you can play games on it, and I love how compact it is. Yeah I've had several issues with it (3 of my Joy Con sticks are broken), but whether it's hardware (well, except for power even though first party looks great) or software... it's one of the best consoles out right now.

7roject28

I dunno, bringing out another console within a year of revising the original and releasing the Lite doesn't make sense. The spec bump won't be that much with what's out there for a reasonable price. You're talking a premium body, premium 1080p screen and power bump. Nintendo doesn't take cuts on console prices.

tr1p1ex

I dunno, bringing out another console within a year of revising the original and releasing the Lite doesn't make sense. The spec bump won't be that much with what's out there for a reasonable price. You're talking a premium body, premium 1080p screen and power bump. Nintendo doesn't take cuts on console prices.

Didn't they release a 2ds about a year after they released the 3ds xl?

V2Tommy

Typical Nintendo: guaranteeing that people on the fence never buy the damn thing because something new is always around the corner. I can't pay $542 CAD just to play Xenoblade 2 when you keep moving the goalposts.

If they have bigger IGZO screens running in either 1080p or 4K and they are compatible with the existing library (which is a lock) then I am fucking in. I love my Lite, but a much better screen and graphics would make me into a Nintendo fanboy pretty quick.

:messenger_savoring:

TLZ

Banned
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynint...intendo-switch-model-set-for-summer-2020/amp/

Switch Pro incoming? I'd buy it.

UPDATE: Potential new info, unknown if real or not

First rumor tells me it's definitely a 3rd Switch model.

The magnesium alloy part tells me its not a portable.

Also, why would you have 3 portables on the market? The lite I understand, but having a 3rd model that's a portable too doesn't make sense. What else can it add?

That's of course if what Digitimes is saying is true.

I don't see Nintendo making a home-only Switch console. Just don't see it at all. The IGZO rumor that's been going around for so long should certainly point to a Switch XL/Switch Pro.

TLZ

Banned
I don't see Nintendo making a home-only Switch console. Just don't see it at all. The IGZO rumor that's been going around for so long should certainly point to a Switch XL/Switch Pro.
What does a screen have to do with better internals though? They can simply use the screens on the same Switch.

What advances does Nvidia have now in hardware that could be used in a portable? We haven't heard or seen anything no? So why would we expect a more powerful portable if the hardware doesn't exist? The rumor speaks of a more powerful cpu. What is it?

Business

Not sure on what's the point at making a "more powerful" Switch at this point. I think Nintendo will be fine this year as long as their software support remains strong. If anything, Nintendo should focus their resources making the Switch successor instead.

Call it Switch Pro or Switch 2, it should be the same. I think at this point the market expects machines that are compatible with the current software, no more clean breaks like in previous generations, even if you are Nintendo.

TindalosPup

New Switch 2 Nintendo Boogaloo?

Can't say whether or not I'm excited yet, I need more info, but I have been thinking of purchasing, maybe, two more (not lites, I wanna get Ring Fit Adventure eventually). One would be a gift and the maybe second one would be a new one for me. Then I can ditch my original to get the younger siblings to back off asking to play while I am actively playing

splattered

You guys are looking at this all wrong... Nintendo is actually finally giving me what I've been asking for since launch which is a better dock with a disc drive that can play wii and Wii-u games. DOCK-PRO woo hoo! Only for the enthusiasts that want BC and better performance when docked in tv mode. :D

V4skunk

Banned
If they have bigger IGZO screens running in either 1080p or 4K and they are compatible with the existing library (which is a lock) then I am fucking in. I love my Lite, but a much better screen and graphics would make me into a Nintendo fanboy pretty quick.

:messenger_savoring:
It isn't getting a 4k screen, no chance. I wouldn't be surprised if they even went sub 1080p.

ultrazilla

First rumor tells me it's definitely a 3rd Switch model.

Also, why would you have 3 portables on the market? The lite I understand, but having a 3rd model that's a portable too doesn't make sense. What else can it add?

That's of course if what Digitimes is saying is true.

The premium IGZO screens would seem to point to it being a portable device. There's no need to put a premium screen on it if it's a docked only console.

Quasicat

I know I’ve probably said this elsewhere, but give me Bluetooth audio so I can use my AirPods and I’ll pick it up regardless of the price.

I'm curious as to what will happen.

If they release a non-portable Pro version I would most likely bite. Hell I might get rid of my current switch to buy both a Lite and a Pro if that is the case. There's a possibility I would bite on a upgraded model either way.

A more powerful Pro home console model complimented buy the Lite (IMO a much better handheld) would be kino for me.

Zannegan

I know we're just talking about a rumor here, so I'm not trying to be dogmatic or combative (at the end of the day, it'll be or it won't) but wouldn't magnesium alloy indicate that it *is* portable? I thought the point of magnesuim was to give you a thin, light case that didn't flex as much as plastic. For a console, youbmay as well go with plastic or a more affordable metal.

If the magnesium thing is true, then I'm worried we'll get a hefty price bump with only a tiny increase to specs, like $399 and a less than 100% increase in any area. But hey, at least it'll feel premium. =/

Top Bottom