• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

Shouta

Pureauthor said:
I admit my ignorance here because I've never played a Tales Of game before, but is there a fundamental gameplay mechanic that the DS wouldn't be able to pull off well?

Assuming they aren't using the damn touchscreen, it should be largely possible to create a competent Tales game on the DS. If they do use that damn screen, it's still playable but evil. >O

But really, we're talking about visuals, music, voice-acting, and etc. Tales games aren't just the gameplay but the entire package, more so than most series. It's disappointing when the series gets the kick in the ass being on the DS. Check out Tales of Destiny Remake and you'll see what I mean.

dark10x said:
In addition to this (which is VERY important to the series), I do not believe the DS could replicate a battle system on par with that of Abyss.

And definitely not close to Destiny Remake IMO.

jarrod

Banned
So rounding up the whole series...

Wolfteam
-Tales of Phantasia
-Tales of Destiny
-Tales of Phantasia (remake)
-Tales of Eternia
-Tales of Destiny II (Team Destiny)

Namco Tales Studio
-Tales of Symphonia (Team Symphonia)
-Tales of Rebirth (Team Destiny)
-Tales of the Abyss (Team Symphonia)
-Tales of Destiny (remake) (Team Destiny)

Alfa System
-Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
-Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
-Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
-Tales of Innocence

Namco CT
-Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage
-Tales of Legendia

DIMPS
-Tales of the Tempest

tba
-Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi

Deku

Banned
I don't think storage media is going to be a huge hinderance. Largest DS cards are now 256MB, there's more than enough room for VA.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deku said:
I don't think storage media is going to be a huge hinderance. Largest DS cards are now 256MB, there's more than enough room for VA.
Ha ha, not the amount you get with a Tales game.

And definitely not close to Destiny Remake IMO.
I really have to pick that one up, but I haven't seen it on sale yet...

*rubs head*

Yeah, I happen to fall into the apparent minority of hardcore gamers who don't place much value at all in graphics and audio quality (as in, I like nice tunes but I don't mind MIDI or whatever), so Tales on DS is pretty much a 'no minuses' thing for me (assuming the game(s) don't suck, of course.)

dark10x

Pureauthor said:
*rubs head*

Yeah, I happen to fall into the apparent minority of hardcore gamers who don't place much value at all in graphics and audio quality (as in, I like nice tunes but I don't mind MIDI or whatever), so Tales on DS is pretty much a 'no minuses' thing for me (assuming the game(s) don't suck, of course.)
Yes, but you seem to PREFER a game lacking in these features. They may not be critical to you, but I can't see why anyone would PREFER a game without them as you seem to.

But alas its dark10x meltdown down part deux. As you were.
Meltdown? Of course not. What we are discussing has nothing to do with what is actually happening. I love these discussions.

Jiggy

GamerSoul said:
Returning cast?

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/07/20/h-103_75630_tos500.jpg.jpg

:D
So I guess Zelos survived if it's true.
I hope so. Need more Colette.

Bebpo said:
One of the biggest selling points of the games is the hundreds of hours of high quality voice acting from famous Japanese voice actors.
dark10x said:
In addition to this (which is VERY important to the series)
I disagree. Not that I didn't love ToS' VA all the way through, but it was very secondary to me behind such things as the battle system, the dungeons, the characters, the music, the unlockables, the replayability...

But none of that's particularly important, because the way you're both phrasing it makes me wonder whose opinions you're representing. Is Namco's advertising heavily centered around the voice acting, or was there a poll taken of Tales fans that voice acting is so important? Or is this just general unspoken consensus? I'm honestly interested...

I don't care for Tales much at all, but this topic created some interest in both the Destiny remake and Rebirth for me. Destiny is the only game in the series I really played, and though I got bored about half way through once things started to get more... sci-fi, you could say, I still really enjoyed the first 10 hours or so. I googled some videos and it looks pretty fun.

That magazine art peice for it with Stahn, is it, and... I don't know if that's Ruby or Leon (I think that was their names... it was so long ago), but it looks nice. That's the sort of anime I can start to get into a bit; when its more normally proportioned and more realistically (relatively, at least) stylized.

Tales of Rebirth surprised me with its setting design as well. I'm turned off by most anime, but I was really digging some of the character and landscape art in the few videos I saw.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, but you seem to PREFER a game lacking in these features. They may not be critical to you, but I can't see why anyone would PREFER a game without them as you seem to.
Scamco localizations?*

*sorry johnnies, I didn't mean it!

Shouta

Pureauthor said:
*rubs head*

You'd have to put absolutely no value in graphics and music at all then. I generally don't mind bad graphics but I do enjoy nice looking games and Tales series have always been incredibly pleasing visually.

This is what Destiny remake looks like in battle. It gets even crazier later into the game. I would've pointed you to Youtube but crappy video sucks.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=634F8DV5

Deku said:

That's gonna be pretty low quality and very little VAing. Considering the quality and volume of VAing in past Tales games, 256 is gonna get filled up quickly.

jarrod: Don't forget Destiny Remake.

Deku

Banned
dark10x said:
Meltdown? Of course not. What we are discussing has nothing to do with what is actually happening. I love these discussions.

What are we discussing ? Your posts seem to only border on the incredulous with a good bit of whining mixed in. I'm sure Namco has studied the issue from all angles and they've made their choice.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
jarrod said:
So rounding up the whole series...

Wolfteam
-Tales of Phantasia
-Tales of Destiny
-Tales of Eternia
-Tales of Destiny II (Team Destiny)

I was under the very strong impression that other than Motoi Sakuraba, Wolfteam's involvement with Tales began and ended with ToP. Yoshiharu Gotanda was reportedly furious with Namco's meddling and their alteration of his title "Tale Phantasia" into "Tales of Phantasia", so he and a bunch of his buddies quit, formed tri-Ace, and turned Star Ocean around in less than a year. And we all know what happened after that.

Maybe some Wolfteam peeps that stayed behind were responsible for Destiny? I don't know...

Edit: johntv preemptively answered this question on the previous page. Moral: Read thread.

dark10x said:

Don't be silly. All other things being equal, of course better graphics and audio quality would be a good thing.

But the point is, all other things aren't equal, and the advantages I get from it being on a handheld outweigh the disadvantages by a fair margin for me.

You'd have to put absolutely no value in graphics and music at all then. I generally don't mind bad graphics but I do enjoy nice looking games and Tales series have always been incredibly pleasing visually.

Not absolutely none, but close. My contention is that if I can tell what's going on on the screen, it's good enough for me.

jarrod

Banned
Aokage said:
I was under the very strong impression that other than Motoi Sakuraba, Wolfteam's involvement with Tales began and ended with ToP. Yoshiharu Gotanda was reportedly furious with Namco's meddling and their alteration of his title "Tale Phantasia" into "Tales of Phantasia", so he and a bunch of his buddies quit, formed tri-Ace, and turned Star Ocean around in less than a year. And we all know what happened after that.

Maybe some Wolfteam peeps that stayed behind were responsible for Destiny? I don't know...
Yeah, seems fuzzy... maybe I need to do some credits referencing...

Deku

Banned
Man this thread is comedy gold. It's like a mini DQIX and the PSP is still getting a Tales game!

shouta said:
That's gonna be pretty low quality and very little VAing. Considering the quality and volume of VAing in past Tales games, 256 is gonna get filled up quickly.

I don't want to bog this down into a debate about sound compression or the like. I don't have the knowhow to begin anyways. I'll take your word for it. But like I said to dark10x, Namco has studied this and they clearly think it can be done and extensive VA has already been done on the DS before with much smaller rom formats.

We'll have to wait and see. I'd certainly wait for a product before complaining.

Shouta

Deku said:
I don't want to bog this down into a debate about sound compression or the like. I don't have the knowhow to begin anyways. I'll take your word for it. But like I said to dark10x, Namco has studied this and they clearly think it can be done and extensive VA has already been done on the DS before with much smaller rom formats.

We'll have to wait and see. I'd certainly wait for a product before complaining.

Well, you also have to consider the fact that Namco might be scaling back their VAing for the DS. ;x

Jiggy

BobbyRobby said:
I would've liked the ToI to be sprite based like ToD or ToR.
To be honest, with the way ToS 2 looks, maybe that should have been sprite based too. Looks quite a bit worse than TotA, which in turn looks a slightly lesser bit worse than ToS 1. The jaggies, especially, are killing me. They really are my only graphical pet peeve across all games, but they're unignorably major to me. :/ Doesn't mean I wouldn't still buy the game, but yeah...

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes because a two year timeframe between Abyss and Symphonia is SUCH a long time. This new symphonia game will be at least 2 years after abyss.

Oh please, stop the milking!!! :lol
wasn't there Tales of Legendia between tales of Abyss and Tales ofSymphonia? I should say thiere was, becuase I bought one cheap for $10.00.

Shouta

sonic4ever said:
wasn't there Tales of Legendia between tales of Abyss and Tales ofSymphonia? I should say thiere was, becuase I bought one cheap for $10.00.

Folks tend to not think of Legendia. I loved it myself, liked it more than Abyss and Symphonia but I'm in the uber minority for that.

dark10x

Deku said:
What are we discussing ? Your posts seem to only border on the incredulous with a good bit of whining mixed in. I'm sure Namco has studied the issue from all angles and they've made their choice.
I'm not discussing the announcements today and instead focusing on the appeal of the DS when it serves as home to a major series. I'm simply attempting to understand why people are so interested in having such games appear on a limited machine.

But the point is, all other things aren't equal, and the advantages I get from it being on a handheld outweigh the disadvantages by a fair margin for me.
Which is why I suggested PSP.

Namco has studied this and they clearly think it can be done and extensive VA has already been done on the DS before with much smaller rom formats.
I'm sure they have, but that doesn't mean voice acting made the cut. You know what I'm saying? They may simply reduce or remove voice acting from the game.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
...well, they have to sell the games too, as you know.

Which is funny since the PSP Tales games have performed well.

It's the RE4 syndrome, or the Symphonia syndrome.

. Publisher puts out game on runner-up console, sells well because it fills a niche being ignored by other publishers. However, publisher looks over fence and see SquareEnix making money hands over fits. Publisher is envious. Decides to shift resources to other platform.

I guess its just strange for people when it's going to Nintendo platforms instead of away from it.

cvxfreak said:

I like Sales-Age as much as the next guy (well, unless the next guy happens to be donny or pantherlotus), but our discussion was pretty centred on gameplay quality.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
cvxfreak said:

Yeah, the PSP tales have sold well and are good.

The barometer for future tales releases in North American for the PSP is if Tales of the World will sell well in the USA. So we better damn well hope that Tales of the World sells well, and it should because it is officially the 2nd best RPG on the PSP after Valkyrie Profile in the States.

Granted Brave Story and Jeanne D'arc are coming soon, but at least it has 1 month in the sun as the second best RPG experience.

Jiggy37 said:
I hope so. Need more Colette.

Whoa there cowboy, no love for Sheena?? :(

dark10x

Deku said:
It's the RE4 syndrome, or the Symphonia syndrome.

. Publisher puts out game on runner-up console, sells well because it fills a niche being ignored by other publishers. However, publisher looks over fence and see SquareEnix making money hands over fits. Publisher is envious. Decides to shift resources to other platform.

I guess its just strange for people when it's going to Nintendo platforms instead of away from it.
This isn't about moving away, though. The DS hasn't yet become the Tales platform, you know. The team which created Abyss and Symphonia is obviously working on an unknown game, right? Who knows which platform that will be announced for. We were discussing the possibility of this happening, but it certainly isn't fact.

There is ONE Tales game available on the DS and it is the worst in the series. This second game? Who knows, but it's only the second. Outside of the previous gen games, every other Tales title has appeared on PSP and have performed well.

Deku

Banned
dark10x said:
This isn't about moving away, though. The DS hasn't yet become the Tales platform, you know. The team which created Abyss and Symphonia is obviously working on an unknown game, right? Who knows which platform that will be announced for.

There is ONE Tales game available on the DS and it is the worst in the series. This second game? Who knows, but it's only the second. Outside of the previous gen games, every other Tales title has appeared on PSP and have performed well.

If you truly believe in what you've said, then I fail to understand your whining for the last several pages.

I guess Namco signaling their 'intentions' to make the DS into their lead platform was enough to set you off. Which sort of goes back to my comment earlier about this thread being comedy gold when the PSP is still getting a Tales game and people like you are getting all bent out of shape because it's not the declared 'lead platform'.

:lol

dark10x

Deku said:
If you truly believe in what you've said, then I fail to understand your whining for the last several pages.

I guess Namco signaling their 'intentions' to make the DS into their lead platform was enough to set you off. Which sort of goes back to my comment earlier about this thread being comedy gold when the PSP is still getting a Tales game and people like you are getting all bent out of shape because it's not the declared 'lead platform'.

:lol
I'm not bent out of shape about anything. Believe it or not, I enjoy these arguments and that is why I continued posting.

Hcoregamer00

dark10x said:
This isn't about moving away, though. The DS hasn't yet become the Tales platform, you know. The team which created Abyss and Symphonia is obviously working on an unknown game, right? Who knows which platform that will be announced for. We were discussing the possibility of this happening, but it certainly isn't fact.

If console sales are any indication, Team Symphonia is working on the Wii. The tales studios are not known for pushing graphics and they traditionally never pushed the console the same way SquareEnix or Capcom does, which means that they would be perfect on the Wii.

Granted Namco is legendary for making stupid decisions, like putting Abyss on the PS2 while Symphonia racked up 1 million in worldwide sales (with 500,000 of it in the USA alone) making it one of the highest selling ones. With abyss barely breaking 30,000 in the USA. Just like how they put Soul Calibur 3 as PS2 exclusive while the Gamecube version sold the most.

Deku, perhaps your posts would go down in a better light if you stopped calling what dark10x does as 'whining'.

Granted Namco is legendary for making stupid decisions, like putting Abyss on the PS2 while Symphonia racked up 1 million in worldwide sales (with 500,000 of it in the USA alone) making it one of the highest selling ones. With abyss barely breaking 30,000 in the USA. Just like how they put Soul Calibur 3 as PS2 exclusive while the Gamecube version sold the most.

Sega, Namco, and (____), the zany trinity of busines incompetence.

(___) seems to get swapped out every generation. A while back it was Capcom, then SE, now it's probably Sony.

Deku

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Deku, perhaps your posts would go down in a better light if you stopped calling what dark10x does as 'whining'.

I fail to see any other suitable adjectives for it. Shouta's expressed similar concerns and we've been able to discuss it amicably.

Sometimes the difference between whining and just expressing an opinion is knowing when to shut the f up. dark10x clearly doesn't know when to stop.

Link1110

sonic4ever said:
Symphonia came out in 2003
Rebirth was 2004
Legendia was August 2005
Abyss was December 2005

dark10x

If console sales are any indication, Team Symphonia is working on the Wii. The tales studios are not known for pushing graphics and they traditionally never pushed the console the same way SquareEnix or Capcom does, which means that they would be perfect on the Wii.
I believe this as well, actually, and I really wouldn't mind it. The Wii could still produce an excellent title without sacrificing anything.

Sometimes the difference between whining and just expressing an opinion is knowing when to shut the f up. dark10x clearly doesn't know when to stop.
That's the whole f*cking point of a discussion. Posting once or twice would be worthless as there would BE no argument. What fun is that? You don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that these arguments are ENJOYABLE for me.

You're probably the type of fellow who enjoys posting in one of those "list" threads where nobody even reads what you've just written and you never return to the thread. What would be the point of that?

king zell

160413_1.jpg

160413_2.jpg

160413_5.jpg

160413_6.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:

Code:
Tales of Eternia (incl PSP Best) 74,630 237,644
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 97,156 203,840
Tales of Phantasia 65,417 99,188
Tales of Destiny 2 65,503 96,662

Tales of the Tempest 83,298 196,073
http://moorangol.altervista.org/others/psp.html
http://moorangol.altervista.org/ds.html

Yeah, not bad, though I see Rebirth doing similarly to ToD 2 instead of ToE or ToW:RM, the fanbase on PSP definitely could have supported a new full Tales of game though.

dark10x

Heh, consider me surprised. It's ugly as sin, but it seems they actually may have crammed a solid battle system in there. We'll have to see how it feels, though.

160413_6.jpg

CrisKre

wow. that shit looks unreal for ds. Im pumped for this tales of announcements. I do hope tales studio is developing the wii symphonia.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
Sega, Namco, and (____), the zany trinity of busines incompetence.

(___) seems to get swapped out every generation. A while back it was Capcom, then SE, now it's probably Sony.

Couldn't say it any better.

Actually I would put sony in there for a while because SCEA has many absurd policies, like no 2D gaming on the PSP, it must be 30% (or whatever the number is) to be approved, you can't allow Japanese voice acting without english....etc.

king zell said:

People can complain all they want, but this game looks very good for the DS and really pushes the hardware.

Neomoto

DS version looks good and clean. A great deal better than the first DS game, which looked like crap in screens but very good in movies. Please let the ToS sequal be good, I really liked ToS.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
You're probably the type of fellow who enjoys posting in one of those "list" threads where nobody even reads what you've just written and you never return to the thread. What would be the point of that?

Well, this would be a rather incorrect assumption. :lol

Shouta

dark10x said:
Heh, consider me surprised. It's ugly as sin, but it seems they actually may have crammed a solid battle system in there. We'll have to see how it feels, though.

I saw it mentioned by John earlier. It's gonna be either good, or absolutely dreadful. ;x

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Deku said:

Reading through the thread, maybe you should take your own advice?

Hcoregamer00

jj984jj said:
Code:
Tales of Eternia (incl PSP Best) 74,630 237,644
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 97,156 203,840
Tales of Phantasia 65,417 99,188
Tales of Destiny 2 65,503 96,662

Tales of the Tempest 83,298 196,073
http://moorangol.altervista.org/others/psp.html
http://moorangol.altervista.org/ds.html

Yeah, not bad, though I see Rebirth doing similarly to ToD 2 instead of ToE or ToW:RM, the fanbase on PSP definitely could have supported a new full Tales of game though.

I don't know about you, but Tales of the World: Radian Mythology is a good test case for the USA market.

It doesn't have as much dialogue as a typical tales game which means that localizing it would be much cheaper. It also gives them a gauge to see if the market is there for a tales game for the PSP.

You bet your ass that we would get many more PSP tales games if Tales of the World would get above 100,000 sales. Considering the lack of buzz in the ToW thread I can't see it happening.

dark10x

Shouta said:
I saw it mentioned by John earlier. It's gonna be either good, or absolutely dreadful. ;x
A fusion of Abyss and Destiny PS2 (which you've raved about time and again) sounds too good to be true. I hope they pull it off...

Regarding the Wii game, I'm disappointed that they are using a point and go map system for the world map as world map exploration was always enjoyable in these games. Pointing to where you want to go and having your "symbol" character automatically travel there doesn't really sound all that exciting...

26225263120070720165839.jpg

Top Bottom