• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tamanon said:
I'm surprised people aren't lambasting Namco like they do to Square any time a Final Fantasy outside the main series is announced:p

I'll pick up all but Symphonia 2 probably myself. Although "Dimension Slide" LMBS probably means it'll be a 2-D battle system with just multiple lines.

They aren't because Final Fantasy is a bigger name, and they milk a lot crazier than the other two.

jj984jj said:
Ugh. THERE ARE TWO MAIN TEAMS IN THE STUDIO! Geez, I told you this in the first page.

Okay, so explain the division of tales studio.

SantaC

Tamanon said:
I'll pick up all but Symphonia 2 probably myself. Although "Dimension Slide" LMBS probably means it'll be a 2-D battle system with just multiple lines.

We have seen a battle pick, and It looks a lot like the Abyss engine to me.

Symphonia studio is the newer team and they only made 2 games. ToS and TotA.

so if they're not making the new Tales DS, Tales PSP nor Tales Wii, what the hell are they doing right now :/

Bebpo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, so explain the division of tales studio.

Is it really that hard?

Team Destiny: Tales of Destiny -> Tales of Destiny 2 -> Tales of Rebirth -> Tales of Destiny Remake.

Team Symphonia: Tales of Phantasia -> Tales of Eternia -> Tales of Symphonia -> Tales of Abyss.

Legendia was made by a new team who was possibly disbanded afterwords.

Alfa Systems made Tales of the World.

Tempest was made by Dimps.

Hcoregamer00

Galamauth said:
If Tales of Rebirth doesn't make it to the US again this series is dead to me.

Lemme guess, "OMG the graphics of the DS will make the series go backwards."

Welcome to the DQ9 announcement, because we heard it many times before.

Bebpo said:
Is it really that hard?

Team Destiny: Tales of Destiny -> Tales of Destiny 2 -> Tales of Rebirth -> Tales of Destiny Remake.

Team Symphonia: Tales of Phantasia -> Tales of Eternia -> Tales of Symphonia -> Tales of Abyss.

Now, I know. Thanks.

Hcoregamer00

SantaC said:
so if they're not making the new Tales DS, Tales PSP nor Tales Wii, what the hell are they doing right now :/

Abyss 2...for the DS.

Believe :lol

DarknessTear said:
Wha? Really? I never heard about them doing ToP or ToE. It'd make sense though.

Someone should change that wikipedia article because it states that the first game made my Tales Studio was Symphonia.

Bebpo

Banned
DarknessTear said:

From what I've heard ToP/Destiny is a little fuzzy and they might've been 1 team together at that point. I think the split happened at Eternia/Destiny 2, but I'm not 100% sure.

SantaC

Hcoregamer00 said:
Abyss 2...for the DS.

Believe :lol

heh I dont care what platform next Tales game Team Symphonia develop. Even if it would be be on Zune I would buy it :lol

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
They aren't because Final Fantasy is a bigger name, and they milk a lot crazier than the other two.
We already had this argument in this thread, and I still strongly disagree. There are fewer FF RPGs being released than Tales games, and they have a lot less in common with each other.

Hcoregamer00

cw_sasuke said:
would be possible...i mean ds is the new lead plattform :-D

Yeah, but I don't want to see a low polygon cast of Abyss characters. Geez, it was bad enough in Tales of the World. I don't want to see a SEVERE downgrade.

:(

SantaC said:
heh I dont care what platform next Tales game Team Symphonia develop. Even if it would be be on Zune I would buy it :lol

In all, the 2 tales studio divisions have the golden touch and anything made by them is a quality experience. Granted from what people said, the "Team Symphonia" is the better of the two because the two games they made Abyss and Symphonia are my two favorites in the series.

SantaC

Durante said:
We already had this argument in this thread, and I still strongly disagree. There are fewer FF RPGs being released than Tales games, and they have a lot less in common with each other.

How many Tales games comes to the west though? More Tales games than FF games does not get located. (well basically all FF games gets to the west)

Bebpo

Banned
Also right now we know that:

Alfa is working on ToI for the DS
Destiny team is working on ToDr DC for the PS2

So that just leaves Symphonia team....

They very well could be doing the Wii game. Or they could be working on a huge project, which requires another year while a Legendia-type new team does the Wii game. We really don't know yet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DarknessTear said:

They were called Wolfteam prior. Symphonia was the first game they made under the "Namco Tales Studio" moniker. However, most of the big guys in the Phantasia team actually split off after the game was made to form Tri-Ace.

Wikipedia is the source, as always.

Bebpo said:
They very well could be doing the Wii game. Or they could be working on a huge project, which requires another year while a Legendia-type new team does the Wii game. We really don't know yet.

All I want is a Team Symphonia game on the Wii. Is that so much to ask? =(

Link1110

Galamauth said:
If Tales of Rebirth doesn't make it to the US again this series is dead to me.
DIdn't someone say that future PSP tales would be gauged upon TotW's sales?

Everyone buy TotW, ToR is probably my favotite in the series gameplay-wise.

ZealousD said:
They were called Wolfteam prior. Symphonia was the first game they made under the "Namco Tales Studio" moniker. However, most of the big guys in the Phantasia team actually split off after the game was made to form Tri-Ace.

Wikipedia is the source, as always.

Yeah I know all that. I was pretty sure ToD team was Wolfteam thoughhhh.

SantaC

Bebpo said:
Also right now we know that:

Alfa is working on ToI for the DS
Destiny team is working on ToDr DC for the PS2

So that just leaves Symphonia team....

Team Symphonia is doing Tales of 360. Believe!
don't tell the xbots

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SantaC said:
You seriously wouldn't care? I can't imagine anyone wishing for their next title to show up on the DS. At the very least, part of the games charm stems from the excellent voice acting which would not be possible on the DS (at least not anywhere near the same amount). I also do not believe that the DS would be capable of handling a battle system on par with Abyss at a reasonable speed. Even if you dumb the visuals down, there is still a lot of action that must occur in a 3D space at a smooth framerate. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't expect that their next game will be a DS title, however. I'd prefer a 360/PS3 title, but could easily live with a Wii game as they'd at least be able to improve on Abyss.

Hcoregamer00

Link1110 said:
DIdn't someone say that future PSP tales would be gauged upon TotW's sales?

Everyone buy TotW, ToR is probably my favotite in the series gameplay-wise.

Everyone, BUY TALES OF THE WORLD. It is a great game, and you will support future tales endeavors.

SantaC said:
How many Tales games comes to the west though? More Tales games than FF games does not get located. (well basically all FF games gets to the west)

Exactly, the PSP has a bunch of Tales remakes that are absolutely amazing and *gasp* we never got a USA release for them. In fact Tales of the World is the first tales game released domestically for the PSP.

dark10x said:
You seriously wouldn't care? I can't imagine anyone wishing for their next title to show up on the DS. At the very least, part of the games charm stems from the excellent voice acting which would not be possible on the DS (at least not anywhere near the same amount). I also do not believe that the DS would be capable of handling a battle system on par with Abyss at a reasonable speed. Even if you dumb the visuals down, there is still a lot of action that must occur in a 3D space at a smooth framerate. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't expect that their next game will be a DS title, however. I'd prefer a 360/PS3 title, but could easily live with a Wii game as they'd at least be able to improve on Abyss.

I disagree, Symphonia had HORRENDOUS voice acting. Abyss was the first tales game with voice acting that was remotely good, even going as far as to be some of the best voice acting in a videogame in a long time. What makes the games shine are the skits that flesh out the characters and develops them and the USA releases Abyss and Symphonia were completely devoid of voice acting.

The only reason why Tales of the World probably has voice acting in 1/3 of the skits are because they have a small fraction of the skits found in abyss and symphonia.

SantaC

dark10x said:

Well I mean, I wouldn't want it on DS either. I love the voice acting and the battle system in the Tales games. While I love my DS, I prefer the high profile Tales games coming out for Wii/360/PS3.

But sure, if Team Symphonia made another tales game, I would buy it because I love their work and support them.

Galamauth

Hcoregamer00 said:
Lemme guess, "OMG the graphics of the DS will make the series go backwards."

Welcome to the DQ9 announcement, because we heard it many times before.

I'd say the same if it were coming to any console. It's just that this beautiful 2D game was cockblocked by SCEA or whoever in the past.

Hcoregamer00

SantaC said:
Well I mean, I wouldn't want it on DS either. I love the voice acting and the battle system in the Tales games. While I love my DS, I prefer the high profile Tales games coming out for Wii/360/PS3.

But sure, if Team Symphonia made another tales game, I would buy it because I love their work and support them.

Well, just consider that a mainline Tales game English Localization would likely have silent skits were most of the charm lays in the series. Voice acting would be great, but since they don't give us a Japanese language option we just have to sit through the skits in dead silence.

Galamauth said:
I'd say the same if it were coming to any console. It's just that this beautiful 2D game was cockblocked by SCEA or whoever in the past.

It is a pity that the PSP remakes of tales games keep getting blocked as they continue to green light "quality" PSP RPG's.

Bebpo said:
h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

This shot would be fine if it wasn't for the awful jaggies on the sword and on the monster. It basically looks like Abyss but jaggier.

Bullshit. Don't cut them any slack. There is NO ****ING EXCUSE for a game to look this bad on Wii.

i still don't know why i should be excited about a direct sequel to tos, which was one of the most boring and cliched jrpgs i have ever played. absolutely horrible.

I've never played a Tales game. Was gonna start with Tempest, but... yeah, didn't pan out.

Maybe I'll pick up Innocence. Will see how it goes.

Bebpo said:
Is it really that hard?

Uhh that's not quite right, neither Team Destiny nor Team Symphonia made Tales of Phantasia, it was made by the old staff members from Namco Wolf Team who split from Namco and changed their name to Tri Ace (Who went on to make the Star Ocean games and Valkrie Profile. If anyone was wondering yes, Tri Crescendo did split off from Tri Ace!)

Team Destiny was set up afterwards from the ground up and consisted of all new staff, AFAIK no staff from TOP stayed with Namco after the split.

As for Tales of Eternia, I believe that was Team Destiny as I'm 99% certain that Team Symphonia's first game was TOS (There is a reason why they're called Team Symphonia after all!)

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
I've never played a Tales game. Was gonna start with Tempest, but... yeah, didn't pan out.

Maybe I'll pick up Innocence. Will see how it goes.

Play Abyss, you will be playing one of the best RPG's to come out in a long time, if you can get over the loading times, bugs, and repetition.

dermannmitdemcolt said:
i still don't know why i should be excited about a direct sequel to tos, which was one of the most boring and cliched jrpgs i have ever played. absolutely horrible.

I agree, Tales of Symphonia was so cliched I accurately predicted the plot points 30 hours before they would happen like with
Kratos being Lloyds dad
and rolled my eyes as the story ripped off Grandia 2 which in turn ripped off Xenogears.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Uhh that's not quite right, neither Team Destiny nor Team Symphonia made Tales of Phantasia, it was made by the old staff members from Namco Wolf Team who split from Namco and changed their name to Tri Ace (Who went on to make the Star Ocean games and Valkrie Profile. If anyone was wondering yes, Tri Crescendo did split off from Tri Ace!)

Team Destiny was set up afterwards from the ground up and consisted of all new staff, AFAIK no staff from TOP stayed with Namco after the split.

As for Tales of Eternia, I believe that was Team Destiny as I'm 99% certain that Team Symphonia's first game was TOS (There is a reason why they're called Team Symphonia after all!)

Really so Tri Ace was the original Tales Maker? It really makes a lot of sense because Star Ocean definitely felt a lot like Phantasia did.

john tv

Nuclear Muffin said:
Uhh that's not quite right, neither team Destiny nor Team Symphonia made Tales of Phantasia, it was made by the old staff members from Namco Wolf Team who split from Namco and changed their name to Tri Ace (Who went on to make the Star Ocean games and Valkrie Profile. If anyone was wondering yes, Tri Crescendo did split off from Tri Ace!)

Not all of Wolf Team split for tri-Ace. Some split off, but others remained. Team Symphonia is comprised of some of the core members who made Tales of Phantasia, so it's generally accepted that Team Symphonia is the true offshoot of that team. Thus, Team Symphonia is credited for Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss.

Team Destiny is generally credited for Destiny, Destiny 2, Rebirth.

I've never been given a clear answer on who made Eternia, but I don't think it's the Symphonia guys, considering how differently it plays and that it sports Inomata characters. Who knows, though.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Play Abyss, you will be playing one of the best RPG's to come out in a long time, if you can get over the loading times, bugs, and repetition.

Yeah, but it's on a console. So, strike one, since I play less and less of consoles nowadays.

Strike two, I'm currently having extremely little time for gaming in general.

Strike three, I'm going to have even less forseeable time for home console gaming in the near future due to National Service.

On a totally unrelated note, I went to see Shakespeare's King Lear today. Ian McKellen is a great actor

Hcoregamer00

john tv said:
Not all of Wolf Team split for tri-Ace. Some split off, but others remained. Team Symphonia is comprised of some of the core members who made Tales of Phantasia, so it's generally accepted that Team Symphonia is the true offshoot of that team. Thus, Team Symphonia is credited for Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss.

Team Destiny is generally credited for Destiny, Destiny 2, Rebirth.

I've never been given a clear answer on who made Eternia, but I don't think it's the Symphonia guys, considering how differently it plays and that it sports Inomata characters. Who knows, though.

Thats it, someone needs to change wikipedia just because the statements here basically say that Wikipedia is wrong.

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, but it's on a console. So, strike one, since I play less and less of consoles nowadays.

Strike two, I'm currently having extremely little time for gaming in general.

Strike three, I'm going to have even less forseeable time for home console gaming in the near future due to National Service.

On a totally unrelated note, I went to see Shakespeare's King Lear today. Ian McKellen is a great actor

Buy a PSP and play tales of the world? It is a dungeon crawler like Children of Mana, but it does many things right that Mana failed miserably at.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Buy a PSP and play tales of the world? It is a dungeon crawler like Children of Mana, but it does many things right that Mana failed miserably at.

Getting a PSP at year's end. I'll see about it then.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tales of Symphonia was awesome, so this is good news. However, that picture looks like crap... like a cheap Radiata Stories or something.

Still, the news is good.

So, what happend to Sword of Legendia?
Is that this game? Sword was announced eons ago.

Pellham

Banned
Tabris said:
Wow, Tales milking is getting worse than Final Fantasy, and unlike Final Fantasy, the gameplay is generally the same between all the titles.

Worse than Final Fantasy? Your math is a bit off.

ethelred

Y2Kev said:
Tales by Degrees :lol

Oh ethelred, you slay me.

:lol

dark10x said:
You seriously wouldn't care? I can't imagine anyone wishing for their next title to show up on the DS.

I wouldn't mind Team Symphonia making a DS game. It wouldn't take them as long as a console game, and I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job. Not everyone objects to quality teams getting to work on handheld projects. I think BioWare making a handheld game is good, I think EAD taking over development for DS Mario/Zelda games was good, I think it's cool seeing Level 5 making handheld games... same thing here.

I'd rather see Team Destiny or Team Symphonia making main series Tales entries on the DS than Dimps (or even Alfa, though Alfa's good), because I think main series entries should be really good.

dark10x

I'd rather see Team Destiny or Team Symphonia making main series Tales entries on the DS than Dimps (or even Alfa, though Alfa's good), because I think main series entries should be really good.
They'd also be limited. I wouldn't mind a main entry on a handheld either provided it was capable of delivering something on par with the previous two console games. The DS would not be able to do that.

What makes the series so appealing on the DS?

dark10x

Pureauthor said:
Portability and the ability to play it whenever I want for however long I want? That's extremely important to my RPG gaming these days.
The PSP would provide just that without sacrifice (though I'd still prefer it on a console).

dark10x said:
The PSP would provide just that without sacrifice (though I'd still prefer it on a console).

You talk like the 'sacrifice' actually means anything to me. A game may be 'limited', but who cares as long as I derive the same amount of enjoyment from it as a 'full-featured' game?

Shouta

Also, Tales of Innocence's battle system is called "Dimension Slide LMBS" and is a mix of Abyss's Flex Range LMBS and Destiny Remake's Aerial LMBS.

Flex Range and Aerial? OOF. That's gonna be either good or extremely terrible. Aerial works for ToDr but it's also 2D and one line.

dark10x said:

Yeah, if they had to go portable, PSP would've been my choice. It's a better system to do Tales games on considering everything that goes into the games.

I admit my ignorance here because I've never played a Tales Of game before, but is there a fundamental gameplay mechanic that the DS wouldn't be able to pull off well?

Deku

Banned
I'm a little surprised the DS is going to be lead platform for Tales. Technically, the DS should be able to do everything they want, and then some, if they decide to do on-line or try something new with the control interface. But ultimately is probably a matter of economics. They can sell to a larger audience on the DS, and the platform is the defacto RPG platform now as well, especially in Japan.

Bebpo

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I admit my ignorance here because I've never played a Tales Of game before, but is there a fundamental gameplay mechanic that the DS wouldn't be able to pull off well?

One of the biggest selling points of the games is the hundreds of hours of high quality voice acting from famous Japanese voice actors.

Jiggy

dark10x said:
You seriously wouldn't care? I can't imagine anyone wishing for their next title to show up on the DS. At the very least, part of the games charm stems from the excellent voice acting which would not be possible on the DS (at least not anywhere near the same amount). I also do not believe that the DS would be capable of handling a battle system on par with Abyss at a reasonable speed. Even if you dumb the visuals down, there is still a lot of action that must occur in a 3D space at a smooth framerate.
Well, there's why you can't imagine it. I'd love a new 2D Tales.
Of course, if you replaced each "60 fps" in your tag with "2D," you'd probably have my opinion about gaming in general.

Incidentally... I haven't played Abyss yet, but Symphonia was basically a 2D battle system (probably part of the reason I loved it so much) for the player, regardless of the enemies and other team members moving in 3D. I don't see how DS wouldn't be able to pull off something very comparable to ToS.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
One of the biggest selling points of the games is the hundreds of hours of high quality voice acting from famous Japanese voice actors.
In addition to this (which is VERY important to the series), I do not believe the DS could replicate a battle system on par with that of Abyss.

Top Bottom