• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

rataven

It's more fun than it looks, and there are six difficulty settings (though you have to unlock two of them by fighting more battles on the max difficulty)! I hope you enjoy it. :D
Thanks, I'm quite excited to try this series out! So is Graces just as good a place as any to jump in? I actually own Vesperia, and could probably squeeze it in between this and finishing XIII-2, but the 360 is packed away.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Thanks, I'm quite excited to try this series out! So is Graces just as good a place as any to jump in? I actually own Vesperia, and could probably squeeze it in between this and finishing XIII-2, but the 360 is packed away.

Oh yeah. I think Graces is one of the better combat oriented JRPG this generation. It's action-packed and extremely fast paced. I consider it to be better than Vesperia, and I liked Vesperia a lot (despite it's brokeness).

kiryogi

Banned
Man so many demands. I was tempted just to port over my jp OT with some modifications lol. . .

And as for Aeana, she absolutely loves Graces so I really would have not minded if she were to have done it.

rataven

Oh yeah. I think Graces is one of the better combat oriented JRPG this generation. It's action-packed and extremely fast paced. I consider it to be better than Vesperia, and I liked Vesperia a lot (despite it's brokeness).

Cool, cool. Action-packed and a zippy battle pace are huge pluses. I'm sold! Off to pre-order.

kayos90

I like time skips. Is the narrative worse or better than Symphonia's? That's the only Tales game I have played.

I take it you didn't like Nanako, which makes you a bad person. >:|

Narrative is worse. Well, that's my opinion though.

Aeana

I just missed how that was only referring to the children arc. Oops.

How's the game's overall length compared to other Destiny games?

The main game averages about 35-40 hours for people. Add about 5 for the Future chapter, I suppose. (I haven't done it yet, I've only played the Wii version.)

kayos90

The main game averages about 35-40 hours for people. Add about 5 for the Future chapter, I suppose. (I haven't done it yet, I've only played the Wii version.)

That's about right. I beat the entire game in 40 hours. Put double more into it because of Coliseum and Extra Stuff. Getting 100% in this game is a major pain though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And if you're like me, you'll take... uh... 100 hours with it. >.>

Unlocking all the difficulties with bottles, abusing the item duplication glitch, unlocking lots of titles, playing with all the characters and picking your favourite ones to use, and doing a lot of the side and extra stuff for trophies takes time, you know.

But... uh, yeah. Normal people would probably take about 35-45 hours with it.

The main character's disco suit is bothering the hell out of me.

Might still get this despite the terrible month it's being released on.

It works somehow. Damned if I know why; especially especially coming from Inomata.

I know this isn't an avatar thread. But anyone want to make me a cool Asbel one? Not to many ToG F avatars out there.

I was thinking of going with a Hubert one myself around launch; why the change?

Aeana

Dear god, I'm staying far away then.

Well, I don't really agree, personally. I don't think Symphonia's is all that great.
That said, the narrative isn't the strong point of the game, which I've tried to stress over and over. I don't think it's offensively bad, it's just not stellar.

Toki767

Well, I don't really agree, personally. I don't think Symphonia's is all that great.
That said, the narrative isn't the strong point of the game, which I've tried to stress over and over. I don't think it's offensively bad, it's just not stellar.

Better or worse than FFXIII/FFXIII-2?

Teknoman

I think it's probably also safe to say that SFxT will probably go on sale and be cheaper in a month or two whereas Graces F will probably not be in stock anymore.

Yeah I decided to go ahead and day one the game. On the other hand SF x T...yeah that will probably have some sunday sale or amazon sell at some point. I'm even holding off ME3 since I still need to finish 2.

I would be blown away if it's worse.

Literally, my PC would blow the hell up in my face and I'd get thrown halfway across the world.

EDIT: If you're a real daredevil you could take the chance that Namco/Bandai will run a reprint or two like they did with Vesperia(which you can still get for $25 or less).

kayos90

To each their own, but Aenea is right. Narrative isn't strong but I would definitely take it over a lot of what XIII-2 did. Ugh. Anyway, the combat should be the reason you buy this instead of the story. Usually I care about story in RPGs but this is the one game where I absolutely do not care at all.

You should specify. As a whole? Particular aspects? Do you want me to judge as a reviewer or as a fan/gamer?

Toki767

To each their own, but Aenea is right. Narrative isn't strong but I would definitely take it over a lot of what XIII-2 did. Ugh. Anyway, the combat should be the reason you buy this instead of the story. Usually I care about story in RPGs but this is the one game where I absolutely do not care at all.

You should specify. As a whole? Particular aspects? Do you want me to judge as a reviewer or as a fan/gamer?

I just want to know if the story makes sense is all. That would already make the story better to me lol. I'll play through the crappiest storylines if the combat is good, which Graces F looks to be.

kayos90

I just want to know if the story makes sense is all. That would already make the story better to me lol. I'll play through the crappiest storylines if the combat is good, which Graces F looks to be.

Story makes sense and is lightyears better than XIII-2. Then again you're talking to someone who really disliked XIII-2's story. Don't expect much from Graces though from a narrative perspective.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing the story is generic (but not the go to town-kill boss-save town kind of generic) but it isn't cringeworthy nor convoluted.

Toki767

Story makes sense and is lightyears better than XIII-2. Then again you're talking to someone who really disliked XIII-2's story. Don't expect much from Graces though from a narrative perspective.

As long as I'm not left wondering what the hell happened, it's all good to me. I'm buying it no matter what, but I'm glad to know I can expect to not feel screwed.

kayos90

I'm guessing the story is generic (but not the go to town-kill boss-save town kind of generic) but it isn't cringeworthy nor convoluted.

It's fairly generic but the good thing about Graces is that it hardly has filler. Which is nice. I think NB is slowly ridding the Filler stuff. Xillia was the same

Aeana

It's fairly generic but the good thing about Graces is that it hardly has filler. Which is nice. I think NB is slowly ridding the Filler stuff. Xillia was the same

In Xillia, they put all of the filler into the environments instead.

Teknoman

The theme "Fighting of the Spirit"? No.

Oddly, it doesn't appear in Xillia either, lol (though that can be explained by Tamura not working on Tales anymore).

Yeah couldnt think of the exact name. Oh well, maybe i'll find another favorite somewhere in there.

Yazuka

Finally got my copy preordered and payed for. Can't wait until I can play this game, this is easily one of my most anticipated games of 2012.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In Xillia, they put all of the filler into the environments instead.
LOL! It's true.

Yeah couldnt think of the exact name. Oh well, maybe i'll find another favorite somewhere in there.
I must admit that I'm not fond of Graces' soundtrack at all. There are a few nice things in there, but overall, I'm indifferent to a lot of the material. Not very memorable. :/

I liked Xillia's a heck of a lot better.

kayos90

I must admit that I'm not fond of Graces' soundtrack at all. There are a few nice things in there, but overall, I'm indifferent to a lot of the material. Not very memorable. :/

I liked Xillia's a heck of a lot better.

I think I didn't like it because Graces music was mostly MIDI quality. At least they sounded like it. It definitely fits the combat though, and it helps to drive the action, but definitely not memorable.

kiryogi

Banned
The funny thing a bout Graces was when I was playing it, it was also XIII release. And the big contrast was that Graces was what I expected out of XIII. As in a wholesome traditional JRPG. That's what folks can expect here.

And regarding the story, I've said it before, its nothing outstanding, but its not offensive either. Its mostly servicable.

kayos90

The funny thing a bout Graces was when I was playing it, it was also XIII release. And the big contrast was that Graces was what I expected out of XIII. As in a wholesome traditional JRPG. That's what folks can expect here.

And regarding the story, I've said it before, its nothing outstanding, but its not offensive either. Its mostly servicable.

Oh yeah, I remember that. It was around early December. I remember cuz i was watching the Graces stream instead of studying for my Chemistry Final Exam. Damn... Good times...

MechaX

It's kinda sad that the bar for JRPG stories have been lowered so much over the past few years that getting something that makes sense would be great.

kayos90

It's kinda sad that the bar for JRPG stories have been lowered so much over the past few years that getting something that makes sense would be great.

I don't think it's just that. I mean, RPGs have a "higher" standard of "good" stories with the advent of the "WRPGs". People like Bioware and Bethesda have created this pedestal for "groundbreaking" stories.

The way I'm reading certain posts, the story is simply average. Nothing really awful but nothing that people will praise it for. Most JRPGs tend to chill in the convoluted, shit area (a guilty pleasure of mine is still Kingdom Hearts II). Graces sounds like it'll be on par with a typical JRPG.

I'm still pretty damn excited for this game. It's been way too long since I had any Tales action. I am a tad more excited for this baby than ME3.

Aeana

I don't think it's just that. I mean, RPGs have a "higher" standard of "good" stories with the advent of the "WRPGs". People like Bioware and Bethesda have created this pedestal for "groundbreaking" stories.

Yeah, I mean, Dragon Age 2 has set quite the standard.

kayos90

The way I'm reading certain posts, the story is simply average. Nothing really awful but nothing that people will praise it for. Most JRPGs tend to chill in the convoluted, shit area (a guilty pleasure of mine is still Kingdom Hearts II). Graces sounds like it'll be on par with a typical JRPG.

I'm still pretty damn excited for this game. It's been way too long since I had any Tales action. I am a tad more excited for this baby than ME3.

Kingdom Hearts is kind of convoluted. XIII-2 is bad kind of convoluted. Graces is not convoluted and it just average.

Yeah, I mean, Dragon Age 2 has set quite the standard.

Rofl QUOTES EVERYWHERE!!! I really really hate Bioware. Sooo much.

kayos90

Every critic believes this to be the case (for the wrong reasons).

No. Every critic thinks Bioware is some godsend for narrative directors. They're good but not extraordinarily great. I still think Dark Souls has the best narrative and storytelling this generation period.

As long as the story putters along quietly in the background and gives me an excuse to go beat some more enemy ass in ----> direction, that'll be just fine.

Every critic believes this to be the case (for the wrong reasons).

Western tropes. It's that it uses western tropes.

Ties

Banned
The battle system carries the game definitely.

I played the import version, and even though I skipped nearly every cutscene, I still managed to enjoy the game. I looked forward to every fight in the game, even the regular enemies walking around the world map. I continued playing simply because of the fun boss battles down the road. The skits I looked up are absolutely hilarious as well, it's a good game to play through if you just wan to have a good time.

I can say win 100% honesty that you would look back fondly on Graces if you enjoy the battle system.

Top Bottom