• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken Movie set pics! - King of iron 'stashe?

GhaleonQ

I like the way they didn't even attempt to show Sergei using sambo. He even made Bruce Lee "whah!" noises as he used some sort of Chinese/Japanese style.

GrayFoxPL

GhaleonQ said:
I like the way they didn't even attempt to show Sergei using sambo. He even made Bruce Lee "whah!" noises as he used some sort of Chinese/Japanese style.

Yeah I noticed it. :lol

Also how Christie supposed to be baijiquan or something in the movie. It's like they mixed up Julia and Christie. "Hey is this the same character? No matter! We don't have money to hire another girl anyway."

Btw her fighting style was ass-fu.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fighting games really have left behind a huge trail of horrible movies... it's pretty amazing that the Mortal Kombat movie is the king of its genre. :lol

Where's Virtua Fighter the movie? :D

Imm0rt4l

This movie was sooo bad :lol

It had like no redeeming qualities either, I wouldn't watch it again even for the fights since they weren't very good. from the cinematography, storyline, music, characters, everything was straight ass cheeks.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I enjoyed myself with this movie. Then again, I was going in with no expectations. Heiachi was awesome, too bad they didn't show off his fighting. Everytime he went into an argument with Kazuya I was hoping that they would lock into combat.
The fight cinematography was pretty good, even excellent at moments, although Rojo and that Russian dude looked like they were just doing something. And introducing weapons into the fights? What the fuck?
Christie's asscrack was divine, worthy of a sequel. I lolled in the club, Jin checking out that crack and 2 minutes later slipping his pinky into it :lol Also pretty fucking stupid that Jin has a hot GF (she reminded me of Bree Olson in her first shot) and instantly forgets about her when he sees Christie.
Nina's tits were also epic, but totally underused.

Frankfurt

Banned
People are, as always, bashing it just to sound cool (oh-ho, it's so funny to say something is awful, haw haw, makes me feel good about myself!)

This wasn't any worse than the MK movie. When i was 13 i thought MK was great, but any adult holding that film as some standard is insane with nostalgia goggles. MK had one, maybe two good fights (and some really awful ones - Sonya, anyone? Goro?). Rayden was funny, but was nothing like the game. The script was every bit as mediocre as Tekken's. Anderson's directing was like in each of his movies - flat and dull. His cameramen might as well go take a vacation, since he does nothing with it. The only things that kept MK from being every bit as mediocre as Resident Evil were Lambert going bat-shit out of character, Johnny Cage and Shang's "your soul is mine" antics. Don't try and defend MK's characterization then bash Tekken for its characters.

Production-wise, Tekken wasn't "tv quality". It was low budget, but still far above most DTV fare. This looked pretty good for a small martial arts film. The lighting wasn't the typical repetitive backlight we see in most cheap action films, there was a lot of variety in tone and settings. I think they used their budget very well. Compare it to the much more expensive Chun-li movie (which was a theatrical movie released by Fox) - some of its sets were worse than this film (just watch the Chun-li piano recital and notice how there is no audience, or how the San Francisco scenes look like a backlot).

The martial arts scenes in Tekken were fine, if short. Most characters looked the part, and at least some of them actually fought like the game (no one in the MK, SF, Chun-li or DOA films did). The cast was mediocre at best, but so was DOA's, MK's, SF's. Heihachi looked pretty bad - but so did everyone in the SF films and most people in the DOA and MK films.

If we're talking production values, the only good videogame films out there are the Resident Evils 1 and 3, Silent Hill and maybe Doom (the last two much worse films than Tekken, despite Silent Hill looking gorgeous).

Was this movie "good"? Not really. But neither was any videogame film. Yet the coreography was pretty decent. I have no idea why people are saying it was bad, because it was definetly above Hollywood Jet Li movies like Romeo Must Die, War, Craddle 2 the Grave, etc.

Was this movie "awful"? No. Only hyperbole-loving, arm-flailing kids would say that. Not even the DOA film (which i have no interest in ever seeing again) was "awful". DOA was "bad", and this film certainly was a lot better than that. Stop calling things "awful" or "terrible" just because it draws attention to your opinions.

Bottom line is, if you can enjoy films like Ninja (2009) or the last Universal Soldier, you can definetly enjoy this film.

G-Fex

Oh god the KOF trailer is the worst I've seen nearly.

No studio in their right mind would release that in theaters.

It still might not be as bad as Chun-Li but it sure ruined the idea of a KOF movie for me.

Truespeed

I just watched the movie and I was actually really impressed with it. It's one of the better video game based movies I've seen and the story is actually entertaining. I also liked how they nailed the look of the characters - Nina Williams was spot on as was Eddy Gordo. The story also has an interesting twist near the end that I wasn't expecting. All in all it's a very well done movie and a very good compliment to the game.

hteng

Banned
god the second trailer looks like a badly made fan trailer, the instant "Tekken killed my mom" came out, i literally spill my coffee :lol :lol this is sooo bad

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Frankfurt said:
People are, as always, bashing it just to sound cool (oh-ho, it's so funny to say something is awful, haw haw, makes me feel good about myself!)

This wasn't any worse than the MK movie. When i was 13 i thought MK was great, but any adult holding that film as some standard is insane with nostalgia goggles. MK had one, maybe two good fights (and some really awful ones - Sonya, anyone? Goro?). Rayden was funny, but was nothing like the game. The script was every bit as mediocre as Tekken's. Anderson's directing was like in each of his movies - flat and dull. His cameramen might as well go take a vacation, since he does nothing with it. The only things that kept MK from being every bit as mediocre as Resident Evil were Lambert going bat-shit out of character, Johnny Cage and Shang's "your soul is mine" antics. Don't try and defend MK's characterization then bash Tekken for its characters.

Production-wise, Tekken wasn't "tv quality". It was low budget, but still far above most DTV fare. This looked pretty good for a small martial arts film. The lighting wasn't the typical repetitive backlight we see in most cheap action films, there was a lot of variety in tone and settings. I think they used their budget very well. Compare it to the much more expensive Chun-li movie (which was a theatrical movie released by Fox) - some of its sets were worse than this film (just watch the Chun-li piano recital and notice how there is no audience, or how the San Francisco scenes look like a backlot).

The martial arts scenes in Tekken were fine, if short. Most characters looked the part, and at least some of them actually fought like the game (no one in the MK, SF, Chun-li or DOA films did). The cast was mediocre at best, but so was DOA's, MK's, SF's. Heihachi looked pretty bad - but so did everyone in the SF films and most people in the DOA and MK films.

If we're talking production values, the only good videogame films out there are the Resident Evils 1 and 3, Silent Hill and maybe Doom (the last two much worse films than Tekken, despite Silent Hill looking gorgeous).

Was this movie "good"? Not really. But neither was any videogame film. Yet the coreography was pretty decent. I have no idea why people are saying it was bad, because it was definetly above Hollywood Jet Li movies like Romeo Must Die, War, Craddle 2 the Grave, etc.

Was this movie "awful"? No. Only hyperbole-loving, arm-flailing kids would say that. Not even the DOA film (which i have no interest in ever seeing again) was "awful". DOA was "bad", and this film certainly was a lot better than that. Stop calling things "awful" or "terrible" just because it draws attention to your opinions.

Bottom line is, if you can enjoy films like Ninja (2009) or the last Universal Soldier, you can definetly enjoy this film.

I thought Heiachi looked pretty bad-ass, I never thought they could get an old actor to look the part of Heiachi: a senior citizen that can kick your ass. Too bad he never actually did.
his post-creditline put a smile on my face though.

But overall, I agree with your post.

fernoca

Just watched the movie at a friend's house.
It wasn't bad, I mean it wasn't great; neither accurate to the games but at least was entertaining, and wasn't boring.

Fights were good; though was dissapointed that Sergei was said to fight Sambo, shown a few secs with that style (like in the games); then for his actual fight he's given a weapon. Also that Eddie wasn't on it much neither.

Jin was nice as a character, though they changed many thigns on his story. Kinda weird that he had an english accent; then again the actor is from England; and kinda made more sense than the games were they show Jin talking in japanese to Nina and Nina responding in english.

At least it was an actual tournament and the story as lame and innacurate as it was, made more sense as a tournament than the excuses of the story that the games have. Was fun seeing the random character select and the random stage select before each fight; while the announcer was saying the names.

Overall, nice movie. Not an Oscar winning movie, not even a great movie, but is not like they promised the best game to movie adaptation ever; neither had the budget to make one. Fun to watch, not boring; certainly better and closer (though still far) to the source material, than other game adaptations. Plus is not like the Tekken games rely on story to sell, neither have a good story.

Frankfurt said:
lot of text...

Come on :D Ninja and Ninja Assassin are excellent 80's-retro-lolworthy-movies. This was just a shamefest, just like Universal Soldier 3 that was filmed in someone's backyard in Ukraine. You see there is a difference beetween a fun, so bad its good movies and these boring ones all trying to be serious. Only hyperbole-loving, arm-flailing kid would defend it ;D

Monteiro's bum is the only good reason to watch this...

2hmlgsm.jpg

4rz2if.jpg

In terms of rating it. I think it is somewhere between Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Armageddon

GrayFoxPL

Frankfurt said:

Yeah call people names because they have different opinion. DOA movie is awful, Tekken was better, but still sits in the "awful" category by me. And so I'm hyperbole-loving arm-flailing kid? You're hilarious in your ignorance.

Ninja was a dud and I looked forward to it. If you want to see Florentine's best then watch Undisputed 3 or even 2. Then compare the choreography of the fights, not to some old shit like Cradle 2 Grave.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Watched it. It's upper echelon as far as video game movies go.

Take off the nostalgia glasses and Mortal Kombat is pretty fucking terrible, only slightly better than Annihilation. This is easily better than that was.

Deadly

Keyser Soze said:
Monteiro's bum is the only good reason to watch this...

2hmlgsm.jpg

4rz2if.jpg

In terms of rating it. I think it is somewhere between Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Armageddon
The girls in the movie were pretty hot. At least they got that right :lol

.la1n

I thought it was entertaining, I also have to admit that I still find the first mortal kombat good...

Shadow Red said:
So how was the story? Loosely based on Tekken or just crammed all the stories in a hour?

A few of the friendships/rivalries are there, but there is also loads of parts where they use words from the game to mean something completely different he film - kinda like Resident Evil in that regard.

fernoca

Shadow Red said:
So how was the story? Loosely based on Tekken or just crammed all the stories in a hour?
Basically Tekken is a city, and Iron First is a tournament organized in that city. Each of the fighters need an sponsor to enter on it; except "the people's choice" which is a fighter from the streets. (Jin Kazama in this case; after defeating
Law
, during a live match after his mother; Jun
was killed during an explosion/attack, ordered by Kasuya

Basically the tournament happens (with a random select screen with the characters' portraits, and a random stage select that change the scenary of the area); then ratings go up.

Kasuya noticed that the more violent the fight, the higher the ratings; so he ends ordering that the winner figther must kill the other one. Heihachi
is against all this, since he finds weird that Kasuya is so obessed with killing Jin. Kasuya discovered that Jin was his son, during the tournament; so did Heihachi. Kasuya proceeds to overtake heihach iand assume the control of the city.

So fight, fight, fight. Jin has a huge crush on Christie. But he's only there for vengeance. gets hsi revenge, leaves the city. Movie ends.

All characters are at least introduced by name, a fighting style summary (plus look kinda close to their game counterparts) and have a few lines. But other than appear, fight and lose; most do nothing else.

So I finally saw the trailer for this (I know lollate)

Jin is a random non asian kid from lord knows where, and Christie is the same.

Awesome.

fernoca

Angelus Errare said:
So I finally saw the trailer for this (I know lollate)

Jin is a random non asian kid from lord knows where, and Christie is the same.

Awesome.
Jin's actor (Jon Foo) is asian (well, parents), though born and raised (some years) in England; which explains his english accent. Christie while from Brazil; was played by Kelly Overton, which is american (parents too).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Frankfurt said:
This wasn't any worse than the MK movie.
I beg to differ. The first MK had a simple, straightforward, coherent plot.
Tekken's "plot" on the other hand makes no sense at any given point, and more importantly none of the characters ever show ANY actual motivation for doing things they do (especially the lead roles).

Now, while I agree that this is very faithfull to the Tekken game plots, it makes for a painful to follow movie experience. The fight choreography was decent and surprisingly visceral, but the movie never gives you a reason to keep watching when one fight ends - it's just a bunch of people running around with obviously no idea what they are supposed to do until the next fight starts. In that sense, it's very much like MK 2 actually.

GrayFoxPL

SolidSnakex said:
Thank you Harada.

We deserve better. The are pissing on us and calling it rain.

Ask yourselves people- if you were paid to do a movie adaptation wouldn't you do research on the source material? They didn't even have the decency to do that. No respect to the target audience and no professionalism at work.

It's not the worse movie made, but fuck me if that's good enough!
It's like getting shit on a food platter and saying: "Oh, I had worse stinking shit."

Imagine what Harry Potter or Tolkien fanboys would do if they were treated like this.

They get what they want. Why don't we? Because gamers are viewed as some peasant shiteaters? Fuck them.

Top Bottom