• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Trailer (Also no paid-for DLC characters)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Day one like every other Tekken game in the past. So I might be able to make a Violet/Lee team? Awesome.

notworksafe

As much as I love Lee/Violet, are they really going to give Violet his own spot on the roster? I'd think it would be easier to just make Lee's alternate persona a costume swap. (Though I won't object to him getting his own ending.)

I assume it'll work like T4 where you just pick Violet with START (or w/e it was) to select Lee.

Raonak

Banned
Good shit. boxart looks pretty badass, it's about time heihatchi gets center attention in the boxart.

It did suprise me even when T6 came out that it had so many costume options, all just unlockable. the game had no DLC.

Never really got into Tekken, but this is about as good a time as any. It looks nice, SCV lite netcode is glorious and no locked DLC characters is fantastic news. It looks like a fully featured fighter from the start which is very nice to see these days.

I hope the lobby system is similar to SCV's lobbies as well.

First time I heard of on-disc dlc was with Ace Combat 6 and Beautiful Katamari many years ago (where "Scamco" originated), to add some perspective to all this.

Can't fucking wait for this, the original is one of the few fighting games I missed out on back in the day and the new one looks great.

AAK

This is good news, but I'm still waiting for Kunimitsu. Also, if they're going to waste slots on Violet and Combot, I want Tiger back, too.

eddy1.jpg
+
eddy2.jpg
+
eddy4.jpg
+
eddy5.jpg
= Sorry

McNum

I wasn't really planning on buying this, but it does sound pretty good. And I did like Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2, maybe it's time to go back to Tekken for me? I assume Tag 2 is a good point to jump back in.

Plus, I have to give Namco props for the DLC plan. That works for me.

Like a boss.
580856_10150727735472978_85571972977_9593105_75253185_n.jpg

Harada to star in his own Bollywood movie, lol.

As far as other fighters:
Guilty Gear ACplus is coming at some point for dl
Virtua Fighter 5 FS is "summer"
DOA5 is August
Persona 4 fighter is August in the Gamestop release list
TTT2 is September

Already got SC5, SFxT and Skullgirls (and will be getting all of those). Hell of a year for fighting games! Also, we don't know what Capcom is doing for Street Fighter's 25th anniversary and I wonder if they'll have a dl-able old school fighter this year (JoJo was rumored recently).

Ploid 3.0

50 characters? Now this game is worthy of my purchase. /bow

However I shall wait to see how the online code turns out. Loved Tekken Tag.

LowParry

50 characters? Now this game is worthy of my purchase. /bow

However I shall wait to see how the online code turns out. Loved Tekken Tag.

If it is anything like SCV netcode, as claimed, I think we'll be safe with some great online gaming. Which is very exciting because of how meh T6 netcode is.

Sayah

You seem pretty sure of their inside development info. Possibly. We'll see. SCV had music tracks and some costume content DLC on-disc, so some on-disc would not be a surprise. Or, they could just be not making the mistake Capcom did, and instead keep it secret on their servers, to further this perception of doing things "right". That's what I'd do if I were them. IF there is DLC, the odds are pretty good the first wave at least will be created during development. There's really no denying they're in a pretty good spot converting an existing arcade game. They'd be pretty remiss not playing up the no-DLC character angle.

Pretty much what was said below:

Secret Namco suit here folks.

Maybe it's because Harada actually has some pull in the company and had the balls to stand up to his boss and said fuck off.

Harada is nobody's bitch and he doesn't need to do any exec ass-kissing to get freedom with his project. Tekken is quite possibly Namco's biggest franchise at the moment. Don't compare it to SCV. There's a reason the Tekken team had a lot of time to develop TTT2 while the SCV team ended up rushing their title for release.

Even if they do end up charging some stuff that may end up as later DLC, that is besides the point. Everyone knows the console versions will be extremely content-heavy......because there is precedent set for that with previous Tekken's. And all of the previous main-line Tekken games have had arcade releases before console releases. Tag 2 is no exception. What exactly is the point then? That they have it easy because an arcade version is already developed and they just have to port? Hardly. That's just how it has always worked and how Tekken games have always been budgeted. Arcade before console. Nothing different here.

alstein

Doesn't VF5FS come out this summer?

VF comes out early Summer (sounds like June-early July), so there will be a 3 month windows.

This summer looks promising- the problem is we've got enough good games right now that some good ones are going to die early.

McNum

Hmm, it just hit me, if there's an arcade release, maybe that explains the lack of paid DLC? People playing in the arcade already paid, after all, so they get the money other studios try to get with DLC up front, before the console release.

If that's so, it's actually pretty clever.

Yea, they making money twice, because of that arcade release. I ain't mad though, get that money namco. And they do have to cover the porting costs. SFxTekken didn't have an arcade release to get profit from. Who knows. They are clever though.

Namco has been one of the kings of DLC, hence the term scamco. Seems like the higher ups were held of here because of the profit already made in the arcade maybe?

I just hope day 1 netcode is not like the day 1 TK6 netcode. Yuck.

Can't wait for this. VF and TK, woot. Or something.

Lothars

Hmm, it just hit me, if there's an arcade release, maybe that explains the lack of paid DLC? People playing in the arcade already paid, after all, so they get the money other studios try to get with DLC up front, before the console release.

tons of fighting games do that first where there's an arcade version than a while later it's released on the consoles.

Junie12

Wait this comes out in September? FUUUUUUUUU

That's the same time as DOA5 and Borderlands 2!

Sigh, decisions, decisions....

Sayah

There has always been an arcade version before a console release for mainline Tekken games. It's not some recent clever ploy to offset the lack of DLC for Tekken games. Of course, there is money involved but Namco games (Gundam and Tekken) are also playing a bigger role in keeping the dying arcades alive.

Skilletor

I remember when Ono said something similar:

GameSpy: But given that it will be on consoles in a big way, can we expect much in the way of post-release content? Like characters, stages, musical arrangements?

Yoshinori Ono: Going back to the chess analogy, characters [in fighting games] are like rules, and you have to master the rules to enjoy them too. So while we are working on downloadable content, characters will not be downloadable. We don't necessarily want to increase the complexity of the rules. And also, I think it's a little bit unfair that those guys with a bit more money will have more characters. But yes, we are working on some downloadable content.

lololol.

Now they just have to remove the "grind for money during hours so that you can buy one piece of equipment" part and everything will be fine .
Make it like soul 5 that ditched having to buy equips with in game money.

TreIII

I remember when Ono said something similar:

lololol.

Hah. But again, I think this highlights just the kinds of differences there are between Harada, Ono and their respective companies. As illustrated above, Harada has been likened to a "Yakuza" in the game industry for a reason. Tekken is also easily Namco's most valuable asset. Neither of these quite apply to Ono or Street Fighter.

Now they just have to remove the "grind for money during hours so that you can buy one piece of equipment" part and everything will be fine .
Agreed. But then again, T6 did have items attainable through playing that tekken force mode.

Yeah but with SCV you still had to grind to gain levels to unlock a small handful of costume items at a time.

They just needed to give you a better way to earn a bunch of coin outside of being forced to play that Mokujin level of Scenario Campaign over and over.

McNum

There has always been an arcade version before a console release for mainline Tekken games. It's not some recent clever ploy to offset the lack of DLC for Tekken games. Of course, there is money involved but Namco games (Gundam and Tekken) are also playing a bigger role in keeping the dying arcades alive.
Was there an arcade version of Street Fighter X Tekken? I'm just trying to make sense of why SFxT has horrible on-disk DLC and TTT2 has, well, this much better DLC. First thought was that it's because the console versions are the second version of the game already.

Besides, having solved the additional revenue problem in advance is not a bad ting for Namco in this case. They get to get the money AND do a good PR move. It might not be intentional that they have this opportunity, but they're playing it right now that they do.

DR2K

Banned
Hah. But again, I think this highlights just the kinds of differences there are between Harada, Ono and their respective companies. As illustrated above, Harada has been likened to a "Yakuza" in the game industry for a reason. Tekken is also easily Namco's most valuable asset. Neither of these quite apply to Ono or Street Fighter.

Besides Resident Evil and Monster Hunter all they have is Street Fighter.

Was there an arcade version of Street Fighter X Tekken? I'm just trying to make sense of why SFxT has horrible on-disk DLC and TTT2 has, well, this much better DLC. First thought was that it's because the console versions are the second version of the game already.

Besides, having solved the additional revenue problem in advance is not a bad ting for Namco in this case. They get to get the money AND do a good PR move. It might not be intentional that they have this opportunity, but they're playing it right now that they do.

There wasn't. And neither did MvC3 which had 2 characters as od-dlc, nor Soul Calibur 4 which pretty much was the first major fighting game that started the practice, nor SC5 which had a character as a preorder bonus.

SF4 did have an arcade version though, and when the console version came out it had another 8 characters to the 19 already in the arcade version, a 50% increase. Funny how that works.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
First fighting game in years I'm seriously considering picking up. Loved Tekken Tag Tournament back in the days!

Sayah

I think we need to stop tying arcade editions with DLC. As I said, arcade editions for Tekken games have always come first even before DLC became a thing. And how do you suppose fighting games in the past without arcade editions thrived? They surely didn't have disc-locked content or DLC back then.

Does Namco make a lot of money from the arcade release? Yes. But does that have anything to do with why there are no disc-locked or DLC characters in Tekken games? Not at all. It has more to do with Harada and he personally finds DLC distasteful (as indicated through his twitter posts).

McNum

I wonder if there's a correlation. Arcade Releases vs. Paid DLC (FIGHT!)

If there had been an SFxT arcade release first, would we have gotten the on-disk characters unlocked from the beginning? Baseless speculation, of course, but there could be a pattern to look for.

It does go back to the same issue, though. Games are expensive to make, and having a second way to make money off it is a good thing for companies. Like the theatre and DVD/Blu-Ray releases of movies. Here we have arcade and home console versions. It's... comparable, isn't it?

So, basically, we need an arcade resurgence to battle DLC. Yeah... that'll happen soon.

EDIT: I was a little too slow there... I still think it could be worth checking if there's a pattern.

Sayah

I highly doubt Capcom executives would suddenly forget about DLC if arcades started to thrive again. Aside from that, Capcom games don't really do as well in the arcades anyway. But I don't see correlations between arcade release and paid DLC.

Doomshine

As much as I love Lee/Violet, are they really going to give Violet his own spot on the roster? I'd think it would be easier to just make Lee's alternate persona a costume swap. (Though I won't object to him getting his own ending.)

All we know so far is that he's in the new fight lab mode, could just be a costume for Lee when you actually fight.

alstein

I wonder if there's a correlation. Arcade Releases vs. Paid DLC (FIGHT!)

If there had been an SFxT arcade release first, would we have gotten the on-disk characters unlocked from the beginning? Baseless speculation, of course, but there could be a pattern to look for.

It does go back to the same issue, though. Games are expensive to make, and having a second way to make money off it is a good thing for companies. Like the theatre and DVD/Blu-Ray releases of movies. Here we have arcade and home console versions. It's... comparable, isn't it?

So, basically, we need an arcade resurgence to battle DLC. Yeah... that'll happen soon.

EDIT: I was a little too slow there... I still think it could be worth checking if there's a pattern.

I think the question is which is better: having the game sooner, with DLC, or having it later without DLC? Tekken gets delayed a huge amount of time.

I think for casuals delays are better, for hardcores getting it quicker is better.

Top Bottom