• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Trailer (Also no paid-for DLC characters)

Sayah

I think for casuals delays are better, for hardcores getting it quicker is better.
I also don't see any correlation between casual/hardcore vs. getting it quicker/getting it late.
If you wanted to apply it that way anyway, then I would think it'd work the opposite way. An earlier arcade release allows for the game to go through different revisions and gives the development team time to address any issues and balance the game before the console release. Fan feedback from arcades can ensure better balance and results for console releases. As a result, there isn't a need for gameplay patches or Super/Ultimate editions either. A more balanced game works towards the advantage of hardcore players. Whereas casual players are there mostly just to have a little fun and not play the game too seriously.

One heck of a morning to wake up too. :D

and seriously they went with Will Smith's 'Switch'? Ahahahah well I guess it makes sense since your switching it up all the time here.

Anyways found a PR thing here...

WE ARE TEKKEN
Never underestimate the heart of a champion. The original tag team fighter that started it all is back. Tekken tag tournament 2 delivers new and returning characters in the largest roster ever. Experience the most advanced attack mechanics, ultimate combo move sets and new battle modes. With innovative features to broaden tekken consumer accessibility, unlimited fighter combinations & multiple ways to challenge your friends – get ready for the next battle!

FEATURES
• MULTIPLAYER MATCH – challenge your friends in a 2-on-2 tag-team battle, 1-on-1 or 1-on-2
• PAIR PLAY – up to 4 players can each control a character in the ultimate team battle
• FIGHT LAB – all new mode to customize Combot’s appearance & for the first time ever, his moves
• LARGEST PLAYABLE ROSTER – more than 50 characters to choose from
• NEW STAGES – fight in your favorite countries around the world
• ENVIRONMENTAL FX – clothing condition alters in real-time with water & dirt effects
• NEW MOVES – each character expands their fight arsenal with exclusive new Tag-Throws & Tag-Combos
• ONLINE FEATURES – all-new features bring the community together like never before
• OFFLINE BATTLE MODES – re-live the classic arcade mode, train in a first-class practice mode, customize your team/character appearance & much more

The wait till September is going to be dreadful. D:

Sayah

I thought people didn't like super/ultimate versions? I would love to have my hands on Tag 2 but if it had released on consoles in the original arcade form, then there would have been a whole lot of bitching against hwoarang players.

I thought people didn't like super/ultimate versions? I would love to have my hands on Tag 2 but if it had released on consoles in the original arcade form, then there would have been a whole lot of bitching against hwoarang players.

I personally don't care. But they don't have to do it that way. Just do major patches or sell dlc upgrades, idk.

TreIII

I also don't see any correlation between casual/hardcore vs. getting it quicker/getting it late.
If you wanted to apply it that way anyway, then I would think it'd work the opposite way. An earlier arcade release allows for the game to go through different revisions and gives the development team time to address any issues and balance the game before the console release. Fan feedback from arcades can ensure better balance and results for console releases. As a result, there isn't a need for gameplay patches or Super/Ultimate editions either. A more balanced game works towards the advantage of hardcore players. Whereas casual players are there mostly just to have a little fun and not play the game too seriously.

Agreed with this. Sure, I may not get to play the game right away. But providing you, as the publisher/developer make the wait worth it (re: more or less "finalized" version of the game, plus plenty of console-exclusive content), I don't have a problem with waiting.

Plus, if you want to do the most to avoid the casual crowd whining about buying a yearly/semiannual update (and also risk fatigue in general), then this would probably be the lesser of two evils.

CPS2

I think arcade releases are definitely tied into the wider topic of iterating, which includes patches and DLC. SF4 had an arcade version, then later when the console version released, it had extra characters (still talking about vanilla SF4). From a PR point of view, the same thing happened with SF4 and TTT2. Everyone thinks its great value and is happy with it, but yes you're playing a further along iteration of the game on console, and you have to wait for it, and fewer titles are able to enjoy success in the arcade.

jett

D-Member
Crapcom on BLAST

That's a pretty cool, distinctive cover. I wonder if they've improved the engine since TTT2 Prologue.

Yeah but with SCV you still had to grind to gain levels to unlock a small handful of costume items at a time.

They just needed to give you a better way to earn a bunch of coin outside of being forced to play that Mokujin level of Scenario Campaign over and over.

Having tasted both i rather have the level for item than money ... especially with the insane prices tekken 5 & 6 had ..
each time you'd try something you'd need money money money ..
how many times do i need to do this annoying mokujin level to gain money ?? ( to think this is the easy method )

At least i got my items in soul 5 by playing legit

Pachimari

One heck of a morning to wake up too. :D

and seriously they went with Will Smith's 'Switch'? Ahahahah well I guess it makes sense since your switching it up all the time here.

Anyways found a PR thing here...

The wait till September is going to be dreadful. D:
That press release really make it seem like there are actually NEW characters besides the returning ones. And I honestly think we are in for a huge surprise when it comes to the roster. We'll surely hit more than 60 characters.

cednym

Banned
That press release really make it seem like there are actually NEW characters besides the returning ones. And I honestly think we are in for a huge surprise when it comes to the roster. We'll surely hit more than 60 characters.

"More than 50" means 51-59. If there were over 60 they'd have said so. Why under-market the game?

Hellix

8Fcig.gif

Considering Tekken 6 came loaded with content, and no extra DLC, I'm inclined to trust Harada on this one. Because of that, day 1 for me.

All of this sounds great but I only ask for one feature...please, PLEASE for the love of everything let player 2 use the customized outfits player 1 made. That was such a stupid thing to take away in T6. I remember day 1 how pissed my friends and I were when we found out the hard way only first player can use customized outfits.

All of this sounds great but I only ask for one feature...please, PLEASE for the love of everything let player 2 use the customized outfits player 1 made. That was such a stupid thing to take away in T6. I remember day 1 how pissed my friends and I were when we found out the hard way only first player can use customized outfits.
On that subject, do not tie every little step I take to my profile. Sometimes I just want to fight against a cpu opponent for the hell of it. Don't tally wins and losses unless I'm in a ranked online match or playing the arcade ranking mode against the computer. Hell, just give us the option to choose between default and player profiles before or after selecting a mode or character.

I don't want to see icons, profile names, and statistics bombarding my screen when I just want to play a couple matches.

Screw the slow loading T6 menu screen and choosing left or right before the game loads. That should be tied to your profile.

free future DLC

holy shit

the customer friendly way to keep people from selling your game
which Valve found out years ago about

and from Namco Bandai.....

I must have slipped into a Bizzaro-world verison of the early 2000s

On that subject, do not tie every little step I take to my profile. Sometimes I just want to fight against a cpu opponent for the hell of it. Don't tally wins and losses unless I'm in a ranked online match or playing the arcade ranking mode against the computer. Hell, just give us the option to choose between default and player profiles before or after selecting a mode or character.

I don't want to see icons, profile names, and statistics bombarding my screen when I just want to play a couple matches.

Screw the slow loading T6 menu screen and choosing left or right before the game loads. That should be tied to your profile.

This.

LiK

Some new info?

At Tekken Tag Tournament 2's home console unveiling a couple of weeks back, Namco Bandai hinted that the game would have additional characters over the arcade version. Famitsu reveals this week that we can expect a big boost to the roster. While the arcade version had 44 characters, the home version will have over 50.

Famitsu also has details on other areas of the home version. Most of the information was shared in an interview at Famitsu.com earlier today.

The magazine details the new Fight Lab mode. In this mode, you build up a robot. You'll have to play mini games and engage in boss fights. Clear these, and you'll get parts which can be used to customize your robot. Eventually, you'll end up with a robot decked out with parts and skills to your liking.

Famitsu also confirms that the game will have four player support and new battle fields.

http://andriasang.com/con0p7/tekken_tag_2_home_stuff/

Jintor

"More than 50" means 51-59. If there were over 60 they'd have said so. Why under-market the game?

Who knows how crazy Harada-san is..

But yea, you're onto something.

???
Do you think with 44-plus characters you’re approaching a critical mass-

Michael
44? We’re up to 59 (either ‘59’ or ’50 now’, audio is unclear)...

???
Right. At what point does it become too many characters to handle?

Harada
Itagaki-san said something similar, ‘you have way too many characters in your game’. But Harada-san and our development team has thought, “we’re probably okay up to about 60”. Realistically, people only use four or five of their favourite characters, but since Tekken is so popular around the globe, the popular characters tend to vary based on region or particular playstyle. So it’s not about the overall volume, I think, it’s about whether those particular characters that you like are in the game or not. So, yeah, we’re probably good until 60.

Don't bother looking for source, this is straight from my transcript of a group Q&A session, only just finished typing it all up. You'll just have to trust me on this.

Pachimari

With that transcript it sounds like he will brine people's favorites back. Kunimitsu, Michelle, Dr Bosconovitch, Ogre etc!

Law is up there in pretty much every version of the game. Paul is well varies depending on who you ask, but isn't exactly at the top of anyone's list.
Paul is better than Law in TTT2 so far. Paul is B-tier while Law is C-tier.

???
Do you think with 44-plus characters you’re approaching a critical mass-

Michael
44? We’re up to 59 (either ‘59’ or ’50 now’, audio is unclear)...

???
Right. At what point does it become too many characters to handle?

Harada
Itagaki-san said something similar, ‘you have way too many characters in your game’. But Harada-san and our development team has thought, “we’re probably okay up to about 60”. Realistically, people only use four or five of their favourite characters, but since Tekken is so popular around the globe, the popular characters tend to vary based on region or particular playstyle. So it’s not about the overall volume, I think, it’s about whether those particular characters that you like are in the game or not. So, yeah, we’re probably good until 60.

Wow, props to Harada for that attitude. Every character does have it's fans and it's nice to know that they are taking that into consideration.

Thanks Jintor.

BHK3

Banned
With that transcript it sounds like he will brine people's favorites back. Kunimitsu, Michelle, Dr Bosconovitch, Ogre etc!

I would love a normal sized ogre, just so I can dress him up like Seth or Gill!

How much more customization is there? I hated how in T6 the only stuff I could buy for marduk was either football crap or a wrestling outfit. I would love to make my Jack look like P. Jack or something else that isn't just gaint guns and big metal pieces everywhere. I'd kill for a Hawaiian shirt on him!

How much more customization is there? I hated how in T6 the only stuff I could buy for marduk was either football crap or a wrestling outfit. I would love to make my Jack look like P. Jack or something else that isn't just gaint guns and big metal pieces everywhere. I'd kill for a Hawaiian shirt on him!

Lee's blue speedo, or bust.

Tizoc

This is good news, but I'm still waiting for Kunimitsu. Also, if they're going to waste slots on Violet and Combot, I want Tiger back, too.

What're the differences between Lee and Violent gameplay and personality wise?
Also anyone think we'll get some SF characters in it, sort of their way of 'testing the waters' for TxSF?

Pachimari

What're the differences between Lee and Violent gameplay and personality wise?
Also anyone think we'll get some SF characters in it, sort of their way of 'testing the waters' for TxSF?
There'll be NO Street Fighter characters or any other guest characters. Tekken never do that (Gon were a unique case), that's up for Tekken x Street Fighter.

We're on home stretch with these 2D illustrations. Almost complete, but they make for some decent phone wallpapers so thought I might share them. These arts are done by 3 artists that currently work over at or with Namco, most will be 480x640 size but few are full sized 1600x1200 images.

Tekken Net 2D Illustration Lottery Draw:

Tomio Fujisawa's Illustrations-

ALISA | ANNA | ARMOR KING | ASUKA | BAEK | BOB | BRUCE | BRYAN | CHRISTIE |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEVIL JIN | DRAGUNOV | EDDY | FENG | GANRYU | HEIHACHI | HWOARANG |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JACK-6 | JAYCEE | JIN | JINPACHI | JUN | KAZUYA | KING | KUMA | LARS | LEI |
LEE | LEO | LAW | LILI | MARDUK | MIGUEL | MOKUJIN | NINA | PANDA | PAUL |
RAVEN | ROGER | STEVE | T. OGRE | WANG | XIAOYU | YOSHIMITSU | ZAFINA |

JUNNY's Illustrations-

Shunya Yamashita's Illustrations-

UPDATE 24/4/2012: The collection is now complete! With that a mediafire link to the entire collection can be found below.

Mediafire link to entire collection of Tekken NET's 2D Illustration draw is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmrbtypssm42nq3

Enjoy folks.

Special thanks also goes out to the following in helping assemble this; Kane, Stoic Steve, Aryafortis, MrDiddles and TekkenReplays. We da bess.

~~

Also another neat thing about these illustrations is that these illustrations are also able to go into the character select screen in game like so:

You just have to unlock them first. :p

Oh and Anastacio you don't have to go through the trouble of re uploading them anymore. <3

We're on home stretch with these 2D illustrations. Almost complete, but they make for some decent phone wallpapers so thought I might share them. These arts are done by 3 artists that currently work over at Namco, most will be 480x640 size but few are full sized 1600x1200 sized.

Wow, these are awesome! What's the source for these? I want to make sure I get the entire collection.

*Sees Miguel's Luchador Brand Underwear*

Amazing.

Paul is better than Law in TTT2 so far. Paul is B-tier while Law is C-tier.

Interesting. Are they going to do any more patches or is the final build pretty much set in stone?

It's going to be fun playing Tekken again. I haven't really touch it since 5.0.

Top Bottom