• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tenchu 4 (Wii) Videos of Spazzing Out and Shaking a Kitty

.... dammit tenchu are you going to ruin my life again. i cant beat the levels unless i get through it without being seen. its a mild manner case of ocd.

Gwanatu T

I don't know guys, as much hilarity as there is in shaking a cat, this looks like the first decent Tenchu game in ages. I am constantly blown away by how From Software screws up every Tenchu game when the concept is so simple. I can't say I'm crazy about the waggle but that's what we're stuck with most of the time...

Dascu

Latest Famitsu scans show that there's first-person sword-fighting gameplay involved. You need to hold the Wiimote in certain angles to block enemy attacks. There's also alternate costumes for the main characters (nothing drastic it seems, just variations of the standard outfit).

JetSetRadio said:
For me, tenchu has been burried for years and years. Looks like I don't have to look for a shovel though seeing this.

This is by the guys who did The first two games (the good ones), and the recent Shinobido games (basically Tenchu clones for the original developers). They are back to do Tenchu 4 justice.

Tenbatsu

From the new scans:
When an enemy spotted you, follow the command on screen for a quick dodge
├ Success - Disappear from enemy sight
└ Fail - If you got a Katana in hand: Engage FPS battle mode/If not - Unleash some kind of technique to escape(?)

Tenbatsu said:
└ Fail - If you got a Katana in hand: Engage FPS battle mode/If not - Unleash some kind of technique to escape(?)

First person mode? Does this mean you have to swing the wiimote like a sword or some other similar shit? Hopefully they have a classic controller mode.

later

mrkapawutzis said:
First person mode? Does this mean you have to swing the wiimote like a sword or some other similar shit? Hopefully they have a classic controller mode.

ahahaha.. no they won't..

mrkapawutzis said:

IIRC, it's supposed to be more to do with holding the remote at different angles rather than swinging it. As for Classic Controller mode... pfft :lol

genjiZERO

SamuraiX- said:
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins was truly the best game in the series. Hands down. So I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

And I don't know what the hell they were thinking developing Tenchu 4 for the Wii. The game belongs on actual gaming consoles, not some gimmick machine.

I hated Tenchu 2; the story was lame and the boss fights were cheap. I consider Tenchu 1 and 3 to be masterpieces though; maybe the best (realistic?) shinobi simulators ever made.

This looks really cool, but I'm really weary of the Tenchu series after Tenchu Fatal Shadows.

Troidal

I read the Famitsu article and it almost sounds like it's turn-based combat based on how the article is written. It says something along the lines of, "First the enemy attacks and you must block the enemy's using the Wiimote. When it's your turn, you swing the Wiimote and damage the enemy as much as you can." Not sure if that's a poorly written description, but it totally sounds turn-based to me.

Arde5643

Troidal said:
I read the Famitsu article and it almost sounds like it's turn-based combat based on how the article is written. It says something along the lines of, "First the enemy attacks and you must block the enemy's using the Wiimote. When it's your turn, you swing the Wiimote and damage the enemy as much as you can." Not sure if that's a poorly written description, but it totally sounds turn-based to me.
Seems like they're making the first person combat into QTE mostly. Makes sense since combat is usually pretty bad in Tenchu, although I'll have to see some gameplay footage first to see if this works or not.

hitsugi

This is looking okay so far.. but man.. stealth assassins was just THE GAME of this series. no getting around it yet =\

Troidal said:

That would be terrible.

That's actually how battle tended to play out in the other games if you think about it, though. Block, counter-attack, repeat. There's not much depth there. Maybe that's what they meant.

Tenbatsu

There are also 2 new characters, a busty babe called Rinshi with a tatoo on one of her boobs and a samurai dude called Tachibana Hyakubei. Plus a new weapon(Kasugai) that allows you to cling on to walls.

Troidal

Night_Trekker said:
That would be terrible.

That's actually how battle tended to play out in the other games if you think about it, though. Block, counter-attack, repeat. There's not much depth there. Maybe that's what they meant.

Yeah that could be it. It still sounds bad though...why go through the whole first-person thing if you cant block, slash, block like an action game? I'm now a bit worried.

Tenbatsu

Troidal said:
Yeah that could be it. It still sounds bad though...why go through the whole first-person thing if you cant block, slash, block like an action game? I'm now a bit worried.
Am not so worried as its Acquire this time round, if its K2/From Software then I will be.

Tenbatsu

2nbrr6b.jpg
2i8dqfq.jpg
2vwxqh3.jpg
2jab528.jpg
334rhqh.jpg
23u8u81.jpg
2hmczdu.jpg
2ue74aq.jpg
2cik49h.jpg

Tenbatsu

MassiveAttack said:
Who owns, funds and produces the IP?
True but I think Acquire will do a good job on this. From is more like a publisher this time round but still, what is happening behind the scene we dont know.

radcliff

Troidal said:

Well, that also kind of sounds like fights in Punch Out. Fighter misses and you unleash as much damage as possible. That description doesn't necessarily make Tenchu turn-based.

fresquito

MassiveAttack said:
Yes, the fighting is indeed turn-based. Seems From is hellbent on destroying any remaining dignity in the Tenchu series.
Sorry, but you're talking about a saga which first installment had guards being trapped at trees because the "awesome" AI. I'm pretty sure turn-based combats won't hurt the dignity of Tenchu series...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Looking good. I support all of Aquires games except for Samurai Western so I definitely will be picking this up next year.

CTLance

Hrm. Interesting "fashion statements". Ninjas in miniskirts, elaborate fishnet... things... for no reason at all, and a very very open Kimono armor hybrid. I'm much too oldfashioned for that. Ninjas are required to wear the traditional subdued gray/brown/blue garb covering every inch of their scrawny bodies. Red -or (gasp) pink- uniforms for female Ninjas is the ultimate limit of Ninja fashion variety as far as I'm concerned. </old_geezer>

Looks very interesting.
fresquito said:
I share your sentiments about that beautiful tattoo... but...
c20080902_tenchu_30_cs1w1_640x448.jpg

I guess they're trying to appeal to all kinds of audiences.
Yeah I know I know, he's just pulling him in, but still...

Yep.
The combat sounds incredibly stupid so far though. Granted if you're actually picking fights in a Ninja-stealth game you're doing something horribly wrong but still.

I mean hell it could work. Maybe the game could hand out bonuses for successfully waggle-killing the crap out of people but if part of my punishment for getting spotted is some lame-brained garbage I'll cry bitter tears and drag Shinobido out of the closet for the 533265262th time.

Oh and Ayame would have to wear that skirt around her face to get me to forget about those crappy sandals she's wearing. E-fucking-gads.

Top Bottom