• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt details (~50 hour main quest, slowmo combat target, etc)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Slow mo VATS like targetting will probably be a replacement for the criticals or something. I expect the combat system to be very similar to The Witcher 2, and then maybe you can trigger a critical and target a specific portion of the body to deal precise damage. Could make monster hunting very interesting, if you have to dismember certain parts while in criticals to use those parts for crafting.

Slow mo VATS like targetting will probably be a replacement for the criticals or something. I expect the combat system to be very similar to The Witcher 2, and then maybe you can trigger a critical and target a specific portion of the body to deal precise damage. Could make monster hunting very interesting, if you have to dismember certain parts while in criticals to use those parts for crafting.

From the description it sounded like the same "focus mode" they were talking about during their Monster Hunting video. So basically, learn about monster anatomy and then target weak points in slow-mo.

Schlomo

Yeah, hopefully they change the UI back to console if you're using a controller.

If not, I guess I'll buy it for PS4.

Let's hope so! Witcher 2 menus feel very awkward when using a controller on PC. I heard it's better on the console version, but for some reason they didn't implement the improvements in the PC version.

Boris

Neo Member
I just beat Witcher 2 last week on (my new) PC. Really good stuff. Loved the setting, characters and graphics obviously. I'll have to play it again at some point and take the different path.

I would have wanted to roam the wilds some more, so the open world stuff sounds like a dream come true. Can't wait!

fresquito

I'm plating W2 right now. If there's something interesting about these news, it is the ability to change targets (in slow-mo). I'm already hating the target system in W2. For God's sake, it has been more than ten years since Ocarina of Time, couldn't they just copy it? Nervertheless, looking forward to this.

Derrick01

Banned
Most of that sounds pretty good. I did kind of roll my eyes at the hunting stuff, I'm about done with that shit in games.

50 hour main quest? Bleh... I thought The Witcher 2 was the perfect length. Gettin' real tired of games that are long just for the sake of being long. Hopefully that isn't the case with The Witcher 3.

Anyway, the other stuff sounds great. Though I'm wondering how the save transferring will work on consoles.

Really? Because the original Act 3 in Witcher 2 was the definition of rushed. It should have been 3-5 hours longer.

Midou

Really? Because the original Act 3 in Witcher 2 was the definition of rushed. It should have been 3-5 hours longer.

Yep. It's also quite possible there is another split in the story or something and each path is 25 hours for 50 hour total, but we'll see.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The main storyline being ~50 hours long pleases me, as I was thoroughly disappointed with the fact that The Witcher took me ~75 hours to complete (primary + secondary content) while the (non-EE) sequel just ~55. The original game having a fair amount of fat is a common complaint, but I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.

The main storyline being ~50 hours long pleases me, as I was thoroughly disappointed with the fact that The Witcher took me ~75 hours to complete (primary + secondary content) while the (non-EE) sequel just ~55.
I think that's the tradeoff with having the big narrative split in Act 2- the game in one play through was shorter but possibly more reactive.

Varna

They need to dedicate a lot time to improving the combat. It was the worst part of TW2. But it looks like they are just trying to ape another system on top of the previous ones (and will probably be lackluster as well).

JaseC

I think that's the tradeoff with having the big narrative split in Act 2- the game in one play through was shorter but possibly more reactive.

I opted to side with Roche and have yet to replay the game as to side with Iorveth, but would I be wrong in assuming most of the content overlaps and the only worthwhile distinction to be made between the two is in regard to the narrative?

Sounds awesome, but im freaking tired of hunting after RDR, AC3, FC3.

Just as well this isn't due until 2014, so you can pace yourself. ;)

Derrick01

Banned
Yep. It's also quite possible there is another split in the story or something and each path is 25 hours for 50 hour total, but we'll see.

They promised there wouldn't be any huge sections cut off by story choices this time but there's going to be various differences in quests depending on your choices there, so there will still be replayability. Just no 10 hour parts of the land cut off by choices.

Midou

I'll laugh if guards turn a blind eye depending on your relationship with people in the area.

Yeah would be kind of sweet if saving an area from monster attacks or helping out citizens with quests got you some immunity, kind of like in Skyrim but more dynamic.

They promised there wouldn't be any huge sections cut off by story choices this time but there's going to be various differences in quests depending on your choices there, so there will still be replayability. Just no 10 hour parts of the land cut off by choices.

Ah okay. Now when I think about it logically, since it's open world, that would not have been possible anyways. Though I guess events could have been different enough.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
I opted to side with Roche and have yet to replay the game as to side with Iorveth, but would I be wrong in assuming most of the content overlaps and the only worthwhile distinction to be made between the two is in regard to the narrative?

If i remember correctly it's quite different. It is at least definitely worth a second playthrough.
The core plot remains vaguely the same but everything else is different.

And oh boy, if there will be mod tools availible somewhere near release, i will wet my pants.

JaseC

If i remember correctly it's quite different. It is at least definitely worth a second playthrough.
The core plot remains vaguely the same but everything else is different.

Well, the point I was leading to is that if the actual locations and such were the same and the only differences were in regard to the the narrative aspects, then I don't see why a two-pronged branching path precluded a meatier final portion. (Yes, I know the Enhanced Edition was CDPR's attempt at correcting this, but as mentioned I'm referring to the "vanilla" campaign, which is the one I played.)

Defuser

I hope they fix the price for items and weapons. I'm always flat broke because every single one of those items is ripping me off.

patapuf

Just as well this isn't due until 2014, so you can pace yourself. ;)

yes, the second act is very different even in terms of locations. They converge in the 3rd act though.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Well, the point I was leading to is that if the actual locations and such were the same and the only differences were in regard to the the narrative aspects, then I don't see why a two-pronged branching path precluded a meatier final portion. (Yes, I know the Enhanced Edition was CDPR's attempt at correcting this, but as mentioned I'm referring to the "vanilla" campaign, which is the one I played.)

You could play the Enhanced Edition prior to the Witcher 3 release. The new Dark Mode difficulty adds some cool stuff to the game and you'd have another savegame to carry over.

injurai

Banned
You realise that slowmo cutting is in Revengeance in complete form also of course?

Sounding good, hopefully combat has a little less jank as a result and they perhaps do a far better job of teaching it this time around.

yeah I know, just didn't know the extent that it was used for gameplay.

I personally don't like the stop time vats, which is why I'm hoping TW3 takes a more real time bullet blade time approach to this.

Most of that sounds pretty good. I did kind of roll my eyes at the hunting stuff, I'm about done with that shit in games.

Act 3 was definitely rushed, and I agree that 3-5 hours of content would've made it feel more complete without making it feel too long. I just think that the hour-length of TW2 (25-40 hrs) is the perfect length for an RPG. It was long enough to be satisfying but it never overstayed its welcome.

Midou said:
I did quite a bit of extra stuff and finished it in about 25 hours, not sure how I could have pushed it for another 15.. I think another 5 hours would have been perfect to make each Act feel fleshed out.

Er, yeah, I agree. I just worded it poorly. Edited!

Midou

Act 3 was definitely rushed, but 3-5 hours of extra content would've been no big deal. I just think that the length of TW2 (25-40 hrs) is the perfect length for an RPG. It was long enough to be satisfying but it never overstayed its welcome.

I did quite a bit of extra stuff and finished it in about 25 hours, not sure how I could have pushed it for another 15.. I think another 5 hours would have been perfect to make each Act feel fleshed out.

Well I felt The Witcher 2 was a bit short (especially Act 3), so this sounds good to me.
Also I hated the QTE with a passion, so even more good news.

Gbraga

Not sure I want VATS, and I want that console UI if I'm using the controller (assuming there will be controller support), other than that, in my veins!

EDIT:

That I really want!

JaseC

yes, the second act is very different even in terms of locations. They converge in the 3rd act though.

Ah, interesting. Cheers.

You could play the Enhanced Edition prior to the Witcher 3 release. The new Dark Mode difficulty adds some cool stuff to the game and you'd have another savegame to carry over.

Precisely what I plan to do!

If VATS is only available to certain creatures such as Vampires (fangs/glands) etc and used randomly in general combat Im fine with it.

Playing MGR blade mode is fun, but it gets stale after 50th enemy for me.

Interesting to see how the save will affect characters though, nothing major by the looks of it, which is a shame. I want Sile to remember I saved her so I can witch her softly.

injurai

Banned
Honestly the prospects of run an jump (free-run?) anywhere is getting me more excited than anything. Can't wait for this to get covered in PCgamer or GI.

Lucius86

Banned
After only just completing Witcher 2 last Sunday, this news excites me. The QTE felt out of place in this game, so not sad to see them go. Glad that I can't just go stealing everything in a town again.

However, not being able to jump everywhere was never a concern of mine. Not sure why there is a need to included this.

Can't wait for the first screens.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
I've read the preview now as well and have a few more details to add, but i haven't followed all the news we got so there may be stuff that was already mentioned.

- day and night cycle has an impact to certain monsters. Some will have different stats depending on the time you fight them

- there will be secret locations that are only accessible during certain times of day or even during certain weather conditions (a magical door only opening during night or while it rains)

- apparently, Geralt can swim (they mention him taking a boat, because swimming in the ice cold water would freeze him to death)

- improved combat system: a buttonpress is now a single attack, instead of the combo stuff from Witcher 2. The camera will also zoom out during encounters.

- enemies can yield

- the igni sign sets the surroundings on fire

- crafting recipes as in Witcher 2, but it seems you'll be able to use the same crafting recipe with different materials (using dragon scales instead of leather to craft an armor).

- CD Project is currently adding DX 11 effects to the engine and the game will look a lot better when they're done with it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yes please. Sounds like a 100 hours game for me, since I love to just stroll around doing nothing

JaseC

I've read the preview now as well and have a few more details to add, but i haven't followed all the news we got so there may be stuff that was already mentioned.

- day and night cycle has an impact to certain monsters. Some will have different stats depending on the time you fight them

- there will be secret locations that are only accessible during certain times of day or even during certain weather conditions (a magical door only opening during night or while it rains)

And so continues the stream of positive information. (That's not to imply the other details you note are negative, but rather they're things I don't feel particularly strongly about either way.)

Top Bottom