• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TMNT game just announced by Ubisoft (Gamearts developed?)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just got the french PR, it's to "celebrate the 25 years anniversary of the franchise".

1775_0001.jpg

1775_0002.jpg

It's a 4 players fighting game, no platforms mentioned. (Edit: Looks like it's for Wii only)

Here is the French PR, I'll update when I get the English one:
UBISOFT® CELEBRE LE 25EME ANNIVERSAIRE DES TORTUES NINJA® AVEC LE LANCEMENT D’UN NOUVEAU JEU VIDEO

Paris, le 26 Janvier, 2009 – Ubisoft annonce la sortie à l’automne 2009 du jeu vidéo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® : Smash up (TMNT®). Cette version est la première version entièrement inédite à avoir un scenario original non inspiré d’une série télévisée, une bande dessinée ou d’un film TMNT®. Game Arts, connu pour avoir développé un autre jeu salué par la critique : Super Smash Bros™ Brawl sur Wii™, propose ici un jeu de combat à quatre joueurs. La sortie du jeu TMNT® : Smash up est une étape clef d’une année de célébration du 25ème anniversaire des TMNT®, nommée “Shell-ebration”. A cette occasion, les fans des TMNT® découvriront de nouveaux produits dérivés exceptionnels et pourront vivre des expériences inédites aux Etats-Unis et à travers le monde.

La franchise Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® connaît depuis 25 ans un succès continu, et est à l’origine de nombreux records dont : le jeu qui s’est vendu le plus sur le Xbox LIVE® Arcade en 2007 ; N°1 des séries TV américaines du samedi matin dans les années 80 et début 90 ; N°1 des dessins animés quotidiens pour les enfants aux Etats-Unis ; N°1 sur Nintendo Entertainment System™ et Game Boy™ Advance.

“Nous sommes très enthousiastes à l’idée de célébrer le 25ème anniversaire de la première bande-dessinée TMNT®. Nous avons plusieurs évènements planifiés pour 2009,” a déclaré Gary Richardson, Directeur des Studios Mirage. “Le jeu vidéo exceptionnel qu’Ubisoft publiera en 2009 représente une étape importante de cette célébration des Tortues avec les fans du monde entier.”

“La création d’un tout nouveau jeu constitue le meilleur hommage pouvant être fait aux Tortues et donnera le coup d’envoi des 25 prochaines années de succès,” a assuré John Parkes, Directeur marketing d’Ubisoft EMEA. “C’est un véritable plaisir que de collaborer avec Mirage pour la célébration mondiale du 25ème anniversaire des Tortues.”

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I see "Game Arts" and Brawl in there.

So I guess this is that Smash-esque fighting game that people were talking about before? The one with some former Team Ninja guys working on it too?

Struct09

It was in a recent Nintendo Power, and there's screen shots floating around. It's for Wii and it looks a lot like SSB.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
cw_sasuke said:
No new information ?
It was already announced? If so, I had missed that :/
Struct09 said:
It was in a recent Nintendo Power, and there's screen shots floating around. It's for Wii and it looks a lot like SSB.
Bah, sorry about that. Lock away.

bryehn

I can't believe this franchise is 25 years old. It's so very different than the original comic. I won't be touching this game, but I just had the thought that if they made a game based on the original comic, it would be awesome. Black & white and all...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wizman23 said:
All the people that liked TMNT as kids are in their 30's now. Is their really a market for this?

The TMNT movie + game sold well enough.

That plus that new version of the cartoon series that came out a few years back.

OnPoint

Wizman23 said:
All the people that liked TMNT as kids are in their 30's now. Is their really a market for this?

I'm in my mid-20s. As are most of my friends, and they too, loved TMNT. It's wider than just those in their 30s, but that doesn't really matter. If the game plays well, then there's a market, especially with a licensed game.

jarrod

Banned
ex-Team Ninja guys are working on it too iirc.

Actually, I sort of wonder if it might be multiplatform? I could definitely see a scaled up 360/PS3 rev, similar to the previous 360 TMNT.

Carlisle

I don't know what this latest trend in gaming about going back to old school cartoons I loved as a kid and making badass new games about them today is all about, but I whole-heartedly support this movement. This and Ghostbusters day 1.

jarrod said:
ex-Team Ninja guys are working on it too iirc.

Actually, I sort of wonder if it might be multiplatform? I could definitely see a scaled up 360/PS3 rev, similar to the previous 360 TMNT.

There are members of Braw team working on it too.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
This is what Game Arts have been reduced to? Stuck making multiplayer party fighting games.. Oh how the great fall..

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'd forgotten that game arts has been smashed and was excited about this for half a second

jarrod

Banned
Sage00 said:
This is what Game Arts have been reduced to? Stuck making multiplayer party fighting games.. Oh how the great fall..
Well, it's a step up from last gen when they were making Bomberman games and outsourcing their own brands to JAM, Rocket Studio or Kama Digital.

I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm sure we'll get another disappointing Grandia sequel on 360 or Wii sooner or later. :/

wsippel

Banned
Sage00 said:
They are also working on some other Wii(Ware) game that doesn't seem to be a fighter. At least the title doesn't sound anything like a fighter.

jarrod

Banned
wsippel said:
They are also working on some other Wii(Ware) game that doesn't seem to be a fighter. At least the title doesn't sound anything like a fighter.
They also localized Legend of Kroll (iPhone) for Japan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VegaShinra said:
Why would Nintendo want them to use Live Arcade to promote a Wii game?

Because it's not up to Nintendo? Although it probably wouldn't be doing Ubisoft any favors, either.

Endless

UBISOFT® CELEBRATES 25th ANNIVERSARY OF TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES® WITH LAUNCH OF NEW VIDEO GAME

SAN FRANCISCO – January 26, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announced that it will launch an all-new, original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® (TMNT®) video game – the first that is not tied to a TMNT® movie, television show or comic book – which will be a four-player action fighting title. The game is being developed by Game Arts, noted for working on the critically acclaimed Super Smash Bros.(TM) Brawl for Wii(TM). Scheduled for release in fall 2009, the video game will be a key event in the year-long "Shell-ebration" of the 25th anniversary of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® which, in addition to the video game launch, will include new and exciting products and experiences for TMNT® fans in the U.S. and around the world.

The success of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® in various media has been sustained over the last 25 years with numerous "bests," including: the best-selling video game on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in 2007; and in the late '80s and early '90s, the No.1-rated Saturday morning TV show in the US; the No.1-rated daily syndicated animated TV strip for children; the No.1 Nintendo Entertainment System(TM) and Game Boy(TM) Advance video game in the world and the No.1 live touring arena show in the U.S.

"We're really excited to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the first TMNT® comic and we have a number of radical 'Shell-ebration' events planned for 2009," said Gary Richardson, CEO of Mirage Studios. "The awesome new video game that Ubisoft will release in 2009 is an important part of celebrating this Turtles milestone with fans around the world."

"There is no better tribute to the Turtles than the creation of a brand-new game that will help to launch the next 25 years of success," said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft. "It's our pleasure to partner again with Mirage as part of the worldwide birthday celebration for the Turtles."

More details about the game can be found in the January 2009 TMNT® cover story issue of Nintendo Power magazine in the U.S.

jarrod

Banned
Andrex said:
Because it's not up to Nintendo? Although it probably wouldn't be doing Ubisoft any favors, either.
I'm still not sure it's Wii exclusive yet. 360 & PS3 versions would not surprise me at all.

NeonZ

I might get this game if it actually play like smash bros and, even then, only if there's a Subspace Emissary-ish mode and/or a large cast of characters. I'm just not a fan of the turtles' designs at all.

I'd be more likely to buy this game if it had some random generic characters or rip-offs of the ssb cast, rather than the turtle brand.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jarrod said:
I'm still not sure it's Wii exclusive yet. 360 & PS3 versions would not surprise me at all.

They announced it just for Wii, so it`s a exclusive for now.

Top Bottom