• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TMNT game just announced by Ubisoft (Gamearts developed?)

Cynar

jarrod said:
I'm still not sure it's Wii exclusive yet. 360 & PS3 versions would not surprise me at all.

They would've most likely announced it in the press release if it was. Seeing as how the Wii is the best selling console this makes sense that it's exclusive to it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Looks like crap graphically, but if it has a Smash-esque, comprehensive roster of TMNT characters I'll be a lot more interested.

jarrod

Banned
comedy bomb said:
I'm pretty sure the Nintendo Power article mentioned it would see release on other systems, but none were specified.
That's the feeling I'm getting... Wii lead with maybe an exclusivity window, followed by high res cheapo 360/PS3 ports. Maybe a PS2 version too.

LiK said:
bah, gimme Turtles in Time for XBLA instead.

"New unknown game frightens me! Give me old familiar game instead!"

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting Turtles in Time to return.

HiResDes

Zoramon089 said:
Uhh, have you played that recently? Old arcade beatem ups don't hold up wel...at all...
I don't know about that X-Men Arcade still plays pretty well, I spent at least an hour playing it recently at a Chuck E. Cheese (don't ask).

Davey Cakes

jarrod said:
That's the feeling I'm getting... Wii lead with maybe an exclusivity window, followed by high res cheapo 360/PS3 ports. Maybe a PS2 version too.
I think a handheld version would be pretty sweet too, though it likely won't happen.

HiResDes said:
I don't know about that X-Men Arcade still plays pretty well, I spent at least an hour playing it recently at a Chuck E. Cheese (don't ask).
So your either 12 or younger or you have kids??

They don't allow adults in by themselves anymore :( They think we are pedos!

And I just want pizza sometimes dangit!

jarrod

Banned
Rash said:
I think a handheld version would be pretty sweet too, though it likely won't happen.
Yeah. Not enough market for a PSP port and a DS rev would probably be ground up and entirely different (and probably by a different developer).

MisterHero

Looking forward to more pictures and footage.

EDIT: I don't like the glow.

ZeroGravity said:
TMNT: Smash Up.

Subtle.
Yeah like when they made TMNT: Mutant Melee

except it was a Power Stone-style game

and it blew

Endless

pLQJlCd2yD_HmOIH0i2b9Su79P8rqT1a

jVcw_OqZ6D8IZZLg7LXdiDAEkQZh3DLW

QOr8a9Y1vz_tKhDvTYBwCLrUwB1xCSq1

z4uE0_P55T_bAOTb_XWMFZxBFnTOBH_x

0HaaDKZf4j8lRXGUmAUq8YUZ8Dtelfb5

Looks like they based the character design right off the latest movie. I hope they at least include old-school cartoon villains without the face lift.

OnPoint

evilromero said:
Looks like they based the character design right off the latest movie. I hope they at least include old-school cartoon villains without the face lift.

My hope is this will offer a glimpse into whatever villains we're going to see in the sequel.

Though I heard it was switching to live-action? Makes me cry if true.

JDSN

Banned
Aside from the Turtles looking like they are from the next Clayfighters games (which I assume it will be less noticeable during gameplay), im really excited for this. :D

wsippel

Banned
evilromero said:
This has nothing to do with the cartoon. This is about the Mirage Turtles, not the Archie or Murakami Wolf Swenson stuff. We're talking about the original Turtles - these Turtles:

11btg2b.jpg

vzfu3b.jpg

The game isn't that dark, though, and I doubt it'll be anywhere near as violent. But Laird, one of the original creators, will write the script...

Bleeuuurrrgghhh, its the horrible movie designs, my interest is completely gone.

As far as Turtles artwork goes, I always loved the action figure box stuff more than any other incarnation:

2i8agw7.jpg

It always seemed so wonderfully stylised and closer to the originals without everyone wearing red just to be confusing. The recent retro toy line also shows how awesome a cel-shaded approach would have been:

1o6jup.jpg

Instead its the sloppy latest CGI iterations, even though the game brags about not being attatched to a license.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ugh... Why this crap? Give the licence over to Capcom/Dimps so we can have a new Toirnament Fighters game.

Sage00 said:
This is what Game Arts have been reduced to? Stuck making multiplayer party fighting games.. Oh how the great fall..

Man, I don't know about you, but a half-decent TMNT game is a welcome addition after all the shit that came out since the Genesis/SNES days.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
WHAT is WRONG with their LEGS

Those models look like steaming piles of shit but the textures look pretty nice. I think I noticed bump-mapping (or something faking such an effect) on their shells, which is cool.

But damn, couldn't they bump up their poly count higher than, like, 10?

[edit] P.S. I will still probably buy this game because it's Turtles + Smash Bros. And I want Donatello. =P

Wizman23 said:
All the people that liked TMNT as kids are in their 30's now. Is their really a market for this?

im in my 20s

also dont forget they rebooted the cartoon and started over a few years back in 2003 for new kids and it was extremly popular.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
So your either 12 or younger or you have kids??

They don't allow adults in by themselves anymore :( They think we are pedos!

And I just want pizza sometimes dangit!
Why in the hell would you go to Chuck E. Cheese if all you want is pizza? Their pizza is pretty low on the totem pole.

Danthrax said:
But damn, couldn't they bump up their poly count higher than, like, 10?

Are we looking at the same screens? Those polygonal models are actually damn smooth. I don't notice any sharp edges except a bit on their toes. I'm actually doubting those a Wii screens. They match the CGI movie.

jarrod

Banned
disappeared said:
Man, I don't know about you, but a half-decent TMNT game is a welcome addition after all the shit that came out since the Genesis/SNES days.
I remember being SO HYPED when Konami got the license again last gen. Ugh, what a disappointment. :/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Cow Mengde said:
Are we looking at the same screens? Those polygonal models are actually damn smooth. I don't notice any sharp edges except a bit on their toes. I'm actually doubting those a Wii screens. They match the CGI movie.

Raphael's right leg, Donatello's left hand, everyone's front torso muscles look like flat pieces of cardboard instead of round, burgeoning biceps and abdomens.

Don't make me make a chart in MS Paint. =P

jarrod

Banned
The modeling's fine given what the in-game perspectives are imo. Really, the backgrounds look more unreasonably poly-starved imo. :/

jarrod said:
I remember being SO HYPED when Konami got the license again last gen. Ugh, what a disappointment. :/

They didnt really do anything with the license though. The first game was alright but the others sucked I heard.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jarrod said:
The modeling's fine given what the in-game perspectives are imo. Really, the backgrounds look more unreasonably poly-starved imo. :/

But Brawl's models were kickass. I don't get what happened with these Turtles models.

pLQJlCd2yD_HmOIH0i2b9Su79P8rqT1a

bowser.jpg

Threi

notag
looks fine (and entirely wii-like) to me.

The turtles have the same shiny bodies like captain falcon (which, if you think about it, is kind of disturbing)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Danthrax said:
But Brawl's models were kickass. I don't get what happened with these Turtles models.

bowser.jpg

That wasn't the actual model used in-game, but rather the one used during the The Subspace Emissary FMVs. You can notice a lot more of the polygons during battles, especially on characters like Donkey Kong.

Also, Brawl was in development since mid-to-late 2005, coming out at the beginning of 2008. I don't think this game's development will have that much a timeframe.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I want to see what other characters will be included. That'll determine a lot of my excitement for this.

wsippel said:
This has nothing to do with the cartoon. This is about the Mirage Turtles, not the Archie or Murakami Wolf Swenson stuff. We're talking about the original Turtles - these Turtles:
Er... the Splinter design is blatantly from the TMNT movie...

Dan said:
I want to see what other characters will be included. That'll determine a lot of my excitement for this.

Damn, nothing gets by you!

tmnt_3d_2007.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Dan said:
And? Mirage was directly involved in the production of the CG movie, too, as far as I know. I was mainly talking about the old TV series.

jarrod

Banned
Danthrax said:
GameArts was less than half the Brawl team iirc. The bulk was new recruits, with plenty of guys from EAD and HAL working on it too. Monolith even did some grunt work on the game, it had a HUGE team.

MisterHero

Danthrax said:
Sakurai was in charge of the character designs and animations in Smash, so the characters in this game could have a totally different feeling, even if by the same animators.

Top Bottom