• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TMNT game just announced by Ubisoft (Gamearts developed?)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
wsippel said:
And? Mirage was directly involved in the production of the CG movie, too, as far as I know. I was mainly talking about the old TV series.
Okay... I just don't see why you posted pictures from the comics when all the designs that are in the screens came from the TMNT film.

wsippel

Banned
Dan said:
Okay... I just don't see why you posted pictures from the comics when all the designs that are in the screens came from the TMNT film.
Because the comics are by Mirage, too. Whereas the cartoon isn't. And, to be perfectly honest, I've never seen the film. I only know the comics. It seems most people think of the cartoon or the Archie comics, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jarrod said:
GameArts was less than half the Brawl team iirc. The bulk was new recruits, with plenty of guys from EAD and HAL working on it too. Monolith even did some grunt work on the game, it had a HUGE team.

I guess that explains it, then.

(how do you know the breakdown of who did how much on Brawl, BTW?)

MisterHero said:
Sakurai was in charge of the character designs and animations in Smash, so the characters in this game could have a totally different feeling, even if by the same animators.

Well I'm just talking about poly counts in the models, we have no idea how it looks in motion.

Endless said:
pLQJlCd2yD_HmOIH0i2b9Su79P8rqT1a

jVcw_OqZ6D8IZZLg7LXdiDAEkQZh3DLW

QOr8a9Y1vz_tKhDvTYBwCLrUwB1xCSq1

z4uE0_P55T_bAOTb_XWMFZxBFnTOBH_x

0HaaDKZf4j8lRXGUmAUq8YUZ8Dtelfb5

BTW, where the hell did you get these!?

TreIII

As I said months ago, I'm interested. I'm hoping that Mirage uses this as an opportunity to promote the original comic, rather than anything else. (Though I would like to see the likes of Bebop, Rocksteady, Tokka and Rahzar... :D)

But that name..."Smash Up"?

....If any of you guys stand to be going to New York Comic Con and etc, know that Mirage peepz like Peter Laird himself, are slated to appear. If enough of you complain about the lame name, maybe they'll be moved enough to get Ubi to change it... :D

TreIII said:
As I said months ago, I'm interested. I'm hoping that Mirage uses this as an opportunity to promote the original comic, rather than anything else. (Though I would like to see the likes of Bebop, Rocksteady, Tokka and Rahzar... :D)

But that name..."Smash Up"?

....If any of you guys stand to be going to New York Comic Con and etc, know that Mirage peepz like Peter Laird himself, are slated to appear. If enough of you complain about the lame name, maybe they'll be moved enough to get Ubi to change it... :D

Yeah, like this name:

Battle Brawl

Eteric Rice

twinturbo2 said:
Slightly interested, but only if this results in an XBLA version of Turtles In Time as part of the deal...

You haven't been keeping up with the thread have you?

As of now, it looks to be a Wii exclusive.

TreIII

Eteric Rice said:
You haven't been keeping up with the thread have you?

As of now, it looks to be a Wii exclusive.

Forget that.

There's still the thing that TMNT: TiT and all those other classic games? They were by KONAMI. NOT UBI.

For anything to be done with those games, a new deal with Konami would have to be made. And that ain't going to happen, as long as Ubi is dealing with Mirage directly.

Besides, if the Arcade game ports in those last-gen TMNT Konami games were anything to go by? Don't expect to hear the classic music and such. Neither Konami nor Mirage have the right to the "classic" song from the 80s/90s TMNT toon. :lol

Cheerilee

I put together a quick graphic explaining the remarkable similarities between development of Brawl and this new TMNT, near as I understand it.

aaf0pc.jpg

29vmkqs.png

Struct09

TreIII said:
Forget that.

There's still the thing that TMNT: TiT and all those other classic games? They were by KONAMI. NOT UBI.

For anything to be done with those games, a new deal with Konami would have to be made. And that ain't going to happen, as long as Ubi is dealing with Mirage directly.

Besides, if the Arcade game ports in those last-gen TMNT Konami games were anything to go by? Don't expect to hear the classic music and such. Neither Konami nor Mirage have the right to the "classic" song from the 80s/90s TMNT toon. :lol

The TMNT Arcade game that came out for XBLA was a cooperative effort between Konami and Ubisoft. There is still hope for Turtles in Time.

donny2112

comedy bomb said:
I'm pretty sure the Nintendo Power article mentioned it would see release on other systems, but none were specified.

No. They just said "No comment."

NP: Will the game release on other consoles besides Wii, either simultaneously or down the road?
Chris Ferriter, producer, Ubisoft: I can't really comment on that just yet.

NP: Are any other TMNT games - such as a DS version - planned to tie into the Wii title?
CF: I can't talk about it just yet, but we've got some really exciting plans for TMNT.

I'm thinking that they have other TMNT games lined up for other consoles, and the Game Arts game will be Wii-exclusive. Just guessing, though.

donny2112

Link said:
No way is this going to be a Wii exclusive. Way too bankable a franchise.

I think there will definitely be TMNT games for other systems. I can see the Game Arts game being Wii-exclusive, though. Stick the multi-player game on the multi-player system and have a single-player game for the PS360.

Still just guessing, though.

TreIII

Struct09 said:
The TMNT Arcade game that came out for XBLA was a cooperative effort between Konami and Ubisoft. There is still hope for Turtles in Time.

Even if it did happen...it still wouldn't be arcade perfect, because again, the music and voices would be changed (again). :lol

I mean, unless they were able to get Murakami-Wolf-Swenson Film Productions Inc. involved too...

Link said:
No way is this going to be a Wii exclusive. Way too bankable a franchise.

Goes without saying that TMNT is still largely a "family-friendly" brand, combined with the notion that this specific game is going with the "Nintendo-demographic friendly" play style.

I'm more inclined to agree with donny2112, in that this PARTICULAR game will probably be Wii-exclusive, but there may be other things in line for the other consoles (like perhaps TMNT: TiT for LA and PSN).

donny2112

Link said:
Then I submit Exhibit B: This is Ubisoft we're talking about.

So you're saying the DS game will be called Turtlez.

As a "totally not definitive proof but doesn't hurt" aside, the NP article does say that the controls will be optimized for the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo and that "motion controls will be used, but not extensively."

TreIII

Link said:
Then I submit Exhibit B: This is Ubisoft we're talking about.

The same Ubisoft who supposedly was interested in "mending their ways" and trying to finally throw the Wii demographic a bone?

I mean, sure, this particular game wouldn't exactly constitute a 180 degree turn, but it would certainly be a nice start to a change from bombarding the Wii with "Imagine..." games all the time. :lol

Furthermore, we also have the example of the DS Prince of Persia vs. the 360/PS3/PC versions. Same IP, different games altogether, that are marketed to different groups.

Finally, Ubisoft is the publisher. If they do eventually port it, it would probably have to be on them to pursue such an effort. GameArts and whomever is involved with the actual development cycle of the game, may or may not be interested in porting/working on other consoles themselves.

So, there's a number of factors to consider here. Just like the many different cases involving "Capcom", I don't think it's 100& safe to try and pigeon-hole devs/publishers, just based on past trends.

Eteric Rice

I dunno. Unless they did some serious bullshotting, it looks like a game that was built on the Wii. I mean, you guys know as well as I do that games ported down don't look that good.

TreIII

Eteric Rice said:
I dunno. Unless they did some serious bullshotting, it looks like a game that was built on the Wii. I mean, you guys know as well as I do that games ported down don't look that good.

Good point.

And it would help that, at the least, GameArts seems to know the hardware they're working with.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jarrod said:
Credit checks. Prepare yourself, they're HUGE. :lol

Smash Brawl was kinda like Nintendo's Shenmue in retrospect. :lol

holy cow

that site said:
Development Cooperation Game Arts Co. Ltd., ALQUIMISTA Inc., Bits Laboratory, Runtime Inc., MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC., Idea Pocket Co. Ltd., NISSHINKEN CO. LTD., MIRACLE ARTS, Y'sk Inc., imageepoch Inc., Japan Art Media CO. LTD, DIGITALSCAPE Co. Ltd., BAUHAUS ENTERTAINMENT Co. Ltd., ROBOT, Tokyo Text, Pole to Win co. ltd., PAON CORPORATION

It's like the world came together to bring us Brawl.

Darkpen

Banned
Why am I saddened that these screens look better than half the crap that's out for the Wii? :(

Well, regardless, I highly enjoyed the movie (to the point of getting the BD release of it), so I'll be keeping an eye on this... maybe.

MisterHero

I was at Target today and they were selling CLASSIC TMNT toys with retro packaging and everything

I didn't have money though. :(

Davey Cakes

ptown said:
Yep.

Tripping sucks.
The suckiness of tripping is overblown.

There are plenty of classic fighting games on the market. I think TMNT being differentiated from them by placing itself in the "brawler" category, along with games like Smash Brothers and Powerstone, is only a good thing.

Teknoman

Wizman23 said:
All the people that liked TMNT as kids are in their 30's now. Is their really a market for this?

I'm 23.

EDIT: This was supposed to be online right? And yeah TMNT IV on XBL is needed.

Struct09

MisterHero said:
I was at Target today and they were selling CLASSIC TMNT toys with retro packaging and everything

I didn't have money though. :(

They're remaking the older style of toys?! Is this exclusive to Target?

Teknoman

vzfu3b.jpg

Damn, I had no idea...got started with the cartoon show. Probably would've been like Ninja Gaiden is now if they would've kept their original image.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't really remember tripping ever in Brawl. Either I'm just lucky or it affects my play so little that I don't notice it.

Teknoman

And this is what the NES cover was taken from?

24e9eo1.jpg

And here I thought Konami screwed up and colored all the bandanas the same color.

EDIT: Fixed.

Top Bottom